Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Have you retired any batteries?

Can you see through the battery slots? If you're not familiar, hold the battery up to a light and you should be able to see through the slots on the side, as the cells have space between them in the shell.
Yes, I see through the slots. That's a good sign, yes?

So I bought two new batteries. Yesterday I was flying one of the new ones and launched with it fully charged. At just under 8 minutes it went to RTH mode and kinda freaked me out. I was able to get it home manually as I'm never comfortable letting the drone do it on its own. This battery has 8 discharge cycles on it.

Any similar experiences or recommendations?

So I bought two new batteries. Yesterday I was flying one of the new ones and launched with it fully charged. At just under 8 minutes it went to RTH mode and kinda freaked me out. I was able to get it home manually as I'm never comfortable letting the drone do it on its own. This battery has 8 discharge cycles on it.

Any similar experiences or recommendations?
Hmmm....I don't know if this is relevant, but I was told by someone with Autel that it's a good idea to update the firmware for the batteries. Otherwise, it's strange that new batteries would behave that way.

Hmmm....I don't know if this is relevant, but I was told by someone with Autel that it's a good idea to update the firmware for the batteries. Otherwise, it's strange that new batteries would behave that way.
Thanks I will try that. Do you know how to tell what version is on my drone now?

Thanks I will try that. Do you know how to tell what version is on my drone now?
Start your drone and connect to the controller/app. Within Autel Explorer go to settings, then at the very bottom is "General." Under "General" go to "about." From there you'll see firmware version. The firmware lists the versions of all the components individually, including for whichever battery is inserted in the drone.

Reactions: gschulzuio
What I have done, is not to completely retire the battery... rather, to clearly mark it as non-flight. Still completely usable and safe for a variety of uses... firmware updates, calibrations and sitting powered up outside to update the GPS Almanac. This strategy allows you to use all available charged energy in your flight batteries, for just that... flight.

Reactions: AirStag
Start your drone and connect to the controller/app. Within Autel Explorer go to settings, then at the very bottom is "General." Under "General" go to "about." From there you'll see firmware version. The firmware lists the versions of all the components individually, including for whichever battery is inserted in the drone.
Thanks. I should have been more specific. I see the individual components version, but I don't see a number that matches the entire batch, like 2.7.35 or 2.7.37, or prior. How do I see which of those is installed?
What I have done, is not to completely retire the battery... rather, to clearly mark it as non-flight. Still completely usable and safe for a variety of uses... firmware updates, calibrations and sitting powered up outside to update the GPS Almanac. This strategy allows you to use all available charged energy in your flight batteries, for just that... flight.
Great minds.....
DNF = Do Not Fly
😁

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_1104 Nov. 08 15.53.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1104 Nov. 08 15.53.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 3
Thanks. I should have been more specific. I see the individual components version, but I don't see a number that matches the entire batch, like 2.7.35 or 2.7.37, or prior. How do I see which of those is installed?

Great minds.....
DNF = Do Not Fly
😁
That's a good question. You will have to look at the corresponding chart at Autel's website. Though they only have the latest versions posted. V1 Firmware Version Table-Autel Robotics Camera Drone, Quadcopter & UAV for Sale | Leader in Drones

Last edited:
Just lost my Evo 2 Pro v1 in the Moray Firth. Did a short flight and decided to cut the flight short to move location. I checked the battery voltage and charge before taking off. Seemed to be nominal charge and voltage.
Now checking the flight data, I can see the battery I inserted had a red warning for cell 3. With 89 discharges.
Hindsight is wonderful to highlight complacency.
I took off with 97% charge, 1m31s the battery was down to 91% and the voltage dropped to 0% at 1m32s. The drone immediately initiated an emergency landing.
Though the charge had returned, the drone was landing regardless. Any attempt to override failed. I watched the unbroken video footage as the drone slowly and gently landed of the coast of Invergorden in the Moray Firth.

Still currently in shock.

I just hope Autel will be kind to me an offer me something.

Update: Autel mentioned as I am out of warranty they cannot comment on the flight but offered me a 10% discount.

Last edited:
Autel is just costing me too much. I have to retire batteries at the slightest sign of an issue, to be safe. I'm up to battery number 9.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GLOBODRONE