Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!

Autel EVO II Pro - User Experience from a DJI User

Eagle928

Reaction score
I keep mine within 5k feet which is pushing the VLOS. Never a problem. I do make it a point to be facing the drone for the best signal.

I have been considering one of the 4Hawks options just to make sure interference isn't an issue but still on the fence.

herein2021

Reaction score
I keep mine within 5k feet which is pushing the VLOS. Never a problem. I do make it a point to be facing the drone for the best signal.

I have been considering one of the 4Hawks options just to make sure interference isn't an issue but still on the fence.

One thing that I always take into consideration with drones is that their average lifespan is only 3yrs. After that, batteries and other parts get harder to find, so I typically sell the drone that I have once a newer model comes out.

With that in mind, I buy nothing beyond the minimum that I need to use the drone and don't make any mods since it is harder to resell with mods and with depreciation, any parts that you buy are pretty much worthless when you try to sell it.

FredC

Reaction score
Thanks for all the research. I am a long time video editor but new to drones. After a good deal of looking, my first buy decision came to Evo II pro. I have a lot training to do on it and your info is very helpful. Thanks again

Eagle928

Reaction score
One thing that I always take into consideration with drones is that their average lifespan is only 3yrs. After that, batteries and other parts get harder to find, so I typically sell the drone that I have once a newer model comes out.

With that in mind, I buy nothing beyond the minimum that I need to use the drone and don't make any mods since it is harder to resell with mods and with depreciation, any parts that you buy are pretty much worthless when you try to sell it.
I've heard you say that before. I would like to keep these two E2P drones I have in service for at least 4 maybe 5 years but we shall see. It's a good platform so it may stay active for longer by Autel. Time will tell or is that "autel"? :)

herein2021

Reaction score
Thanks for all the research. I am a long time video editor but new to drones. After a good deal of looking, my first buy decision came to Evo II pro. I have a lot training to do on it and your info is very helpful. Thanks again

You will love the LOG profile out of the EVO II 6K, very easy to expose, color grade, and camera match. Since it does not have a WFM, I use the histogram like a WFM and have found that works pretty well for exposing the LOG profile. I always shoot at -2 sharpness and -1 contrast to make it even flatter and easier to camera match in post and I expose the histogram slightly ETTR but only by maybe 0.5 stops.

In post, I then use a Rec709 WFM to conform the footage to Rec709 and it only takes a few seconds to color grade. I have been able to color match the footage to VLOG and CLOG3 with no problem.

herein2021

Reaction score
I have a new addition to the list which is field of view (FOV). I have a couple of customers that I shoot progression construction photography for on a regular basis and I decided to use the EVO II 6K for the next round of images that I need to shoot for the clients. I knew on paper that the EVO II 6K has a narrower FOV than the DJI P4 but it was more apparent after shooting the same sites that I had shot with the P4 Pro.

On paper the EVO II 6K has a 82° FOV vs the DJI P4 Pro which has a 94° FOV. In most scenarios this won't be noticeable and there are pros and cons to a narrower FOV:

Narrower FOV Pros

• Objects Appear Closer - This is a pro because you can fly farther away from the subject material while still having the appearance of being closer than a drone with a wider FOV. This is good for safety reasons especially if you are filming people or objects that could pose a hazard to the drone.
  • Less Barrel Distortion - Typically longer lenses (narrower FOV) have less barrel distortion; so a narrower FOV could result in higher edge to edge image quality. This is also important when stitching panoramas, a narrower FOV combined with less barrel distortion will make stitching the overlapping images easier and will result in a higher quality final result
  • More Apparent Motion - This is an effect of the "Objects Appear Closer" benefit. Since objects appear closer, motion and the appearance of motion is enhanced vs. a wider FOV when shooting video. On a Cinema Camera a 50mm lens with a narrower FOV will increase the feeling of motion vs a 16mm lens on the same camera. The motion itself didn't change of course, but the appearance of it did since the FOV is more zoomed in.
Narrower FOV Cons

• Narrower FOV - This one should be obvious but its the biggest con that I see. When you are shooting landscapes you want the widest FOV possible that you can achieve without distortion. Drones are frequently used to shoot panoramic landscapes from the air. A narrower FOV will make that harder with the only fix being to get farther away from the subject material.
  • 360 Panoramas - With a narrower FOV you may need to take more images to achieve a full 360 panorama vs a wider FOV. This is undesirable when shooting drone panoramas because every second that it takes you to take all of the required images; the more likelihood there is that the drone will drift and make stitching much harder
  • Objects Appear Closer - This could also be a con. If you are in a location where you simply cannot back the drone any farther away from the subject material (such as indoors or outdoors with buildings or obstructions behind the drone) then you cannot create the same compositions that you could with a wider FOV and may not be able to capture the scene the way you intended.
  • Camera Matching - As I discovered, if you use two different drones to shoot the same project the difference in FOV could make matching them harder in post.

MikeReidPhotography

Reaction score
Website
www.mikereidphotography.com
Back to range....I tried the various 4 hawks products and was not impressed. What continues to do the trick for me is this thing:

It doesn't really fit over the antennae in a way that allows it to not be held in place, but it works.

As a TEST, I got over 8k of range out of it in a city environment at 400 ft of height. Out over the water btw to minimize risk.

• Haha
Reactions: PingSpike

Mike Mas

Reaction score
Nice concept and design however both the EVO with it's numerous problems and now the controller that everyone has been waiting for, both fall short for professional operation and design.

Fly Safe - Mike

herein2021

Reaction score
Back to range....I tried the various 4 hawks products and was not impressed. What continues to do the trick for me is this thing:

It doesn't really fit over the antennae in a way that allows it to not be held in place, but it works.

As a TEST, I got over 8k of range out of it in a city environment at 400 ft of height. Out over the water btw to minimize risk.

I have found the range to be adequate for my needs, In the city it's approximately 200-300' longer than the DJI P4, in perfect conditions (over open ocean, 100' AGL, no wind) I have found the battery is the only limitation. In that scenario the EVO II 6K with stock controller and antennas can fly 10 miles roundtrip and land with about 10% battery remaining.

Nice concept and design however both the EVO with it's numerous problems and now the controller that everyone has been waiting for, both fall short for professional operation and design.

Fly Safe - Mike

I agree it is not ideal but I can say first hand that it can be used for professional use. My definition of professional use is any use that produces content that a client is willing to pay for and the EVO II 6K can definitely do that. It has already paid for itself many times over for me.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikita_MV