Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Have you retired any batteries?

AirStag

Reaction score
I have six Evo II batteries and four of them are starting to bulge ever so slightly. I feel a little resistance when I insert them into the drone.

These batteries all have 60-80 cycles according to the app. Is it time to pull them from service?

I was hoping the app would give me some indication that the battery is nearing end of life.

Have YOU retired any batteries? Why or why not?

I have six Evo II batteries and four of them are starting to bulge ever so slightly. I feel a little resistance when I insert them into the drone.

These batteries all have 60-80 cycles according to the app. Is it time to pull them from service?

I was hoping the app would give me some indication that the battery is nearing end of life.

Two out of my four Evo 2 batteries, are out of service. One will bulge during flight, impossible to remove from Evo 2 after flight, battery needs to cool off before removal.

The second battery, one cell is bad. I do run batteries hard, Did charge them full too often without usage. Probably my fault these two bad batteries have issues, I've since learned to not fully charge them when set idle/storage for long periods.

I never contacted Autel, for the main reason it was probably my fault they went bad.

Paul

Two out of my four Evo 2 batteries, are out of service. One will bulge during flight, impossible to remove from Evo 2 after flight, battery needs to cool off before removal.

The second battery, one cell is bad. I do run batteries hard, Did charge them full too often without usage. Probably my fault these two bad batteries have issues, I've since learned to not fully charge them when set idle/storage for long periods.

I never contacted Autel, for the main reason it was probably my fault they went bad.

Paul
So, you elected to take them out of service when they bulged a lot; that seems like a good decision.
A few questions:
- were there any signs earlier, like resistance when inserting battery?
- did any messages appear on the app while flying?
- do you think fully discharging these batteries before recharging is important? I recharge after each use, but rarely do I run below 30% and sometimes only to 50% or more.

Thanks for your feedback!

So, you elected to take them out of service when they bulged a lot; that seems like a good decision.
A few questions:
- were there any signs earlier, like resistance when inserting battery?
- did any messages appear on the app while flying?
- do you think fully discharging these batteries before recharging is important? I recharge after each use, but rarely do I run below 30% and sometimes only to 50% or more.

Thanks for your feedback!
Thanks AirStag,

The first battery issue, can't remember exactly what prompted me to stop using the battery, Just remember one cell went bad I believe the app warned me battery was bad. Sure enough, one cell wont fully charge and the battery didn't have a bulging issue.

The second battery, no app warning just when landing the battery could not be removed, had to let battery cool off for removal. Swelling was terrible, so I stopped using this battery only have twi good batteries left.

Honestly feel I'm at fault, at the beginning would top off batteries after flight and although they would slowly discharge themselves over a period of time I'd top them off again.

As far as app messaging a battery issue, once had a battery overheating message but it was over 100 degrees that day and it was a long flight. Couple of other messages, can't remember exactly message wording but it was for a battery issues.

In regards to fully discharging batteries before recharging if this helps, not sure as I really don't know.

Sorry I'm not much help, when weather starts to cool off I'll be flying again.

Looks like you've got a good handle on charging Evo 2 batteries, enjoy the Evo 2 it's a terrific drone.

Paul

Reactions: AirStag
Thanks AirStag,

The first battery issue, can't remember exactly what prompted me to stop using the battery, Just remember one cell went bad I believe the app warned me battery was bad. Sure enough, one cell wont fully charge and the battery didn't have a bulging issue.

The second battery, no app warning just when landing the battery could not be removed, had to let battery cool off for removal. Swelling was terrible, so I stopped using this battery only have twi good batteries left.

Honestly feel I'm at fault, at the beginning would top off batteries after flight and although they would slowly discharge themselves over a period of time I'd top them off again.

As far as app messaging a battery issue, once had a battery overheating message but it was over 100 degrees that day and it was a long flight. Couple of other messages, can't remember exactly message wording but it was for a battery issues.

In regards to fully discharging batteries before recharging if this helps, not sure as I really don't know.

Sorry I'm not much help, when weather starts to cool off I'll be flying again.

Looks like you've got a good handle on charging Evo 2 batteries, enjoy the Evo 2 it's a terrific drone.

Paul
Thanks Paul. I appreciate your feedback.

I suppose it would be smart to retire these batteries, it just 800+ to replace them‼ Anyway, I agree this is a great drone but you have to pay to play.
Cheers.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Thanks Paul. I appreciate your feedback.

I suppose it would be smart to retire these batteries, it just 800+ to replace them‼ Anyway, I agree this is a great drone but you have to pay to play.
Cheers.
Yes my #2 with 147 flights the controlor( smart one) told me that cell 2 went bad. Haven't done any thing with it yet. Bought two more. But notices last couple of days my camera image when I look at smart controller screen on all my older batteries flickers just started, any ideas anyone? No bulges on Batts nothing just the message. Then flickering on screen. Help!

Yes my #2 with 147 flights but after that on my smart controller the image on the screen flickers no bulges just a message on screen informing me 2nd cell went bad in flight before that no problems at all

Yes my #2 with 147 flights the controlor( smart one) told me that cell 2 went bad. Haven't done any thing with it yet. Bought two more. But notices last couple of days my camera image when I look at smart controller screen on all my older batteries flickers just started, any ideas anyone? No bulges on Batts nothing just the message. Then flickering on screen. Help!
That's a new one for me. So, it only flickers with the old batteries? Does the whole screen flicker, or just the video feed? Also, re 147 flights, how many charge cycles during those flight (if you know)?

Yes my #2 with 147 flights but after that on my smart controller the image on the screen flickers no bulges just a message on screen informing me 2nd cell went bad in flight before that no problems at all
In my case I fly until low warning 21 minutes left on all my batteries when swap out.

I've had issues with three batteries. In my case I was getting "unknown battery" warnings after fewer than 75 discharges. In all three case Autel replaced the batteries for me.

I've had issues with three batteries. In my case I was getting "unknown battery" warnings after fewer than 75 discharges. In all three case Autel replaced the batteries for me.
Thank you. How old were the batteries when Autel replaced them?

Thank you. How old were the batteries when Autel replaced them?
One of them was about 9-10 months old. The other two were a year or so. Two of them only had about 75ish discharges. One of them only had 35. It's probably worth contacting Autel.

One of them was about 9-10 months old. The other two were a year or so. Two of them only had about 75ish discharges. One of them only had 35. It's probably worth contacting Autel.
Thanks I'll do that.

Well I emailed with Autel and they said I should retire the batteries. I asked how long the batteries should be good for in time or flights, and for more specific guidance on what to look for to make a decision to retire.

This is all I got:

Hello Tony

If you see swelling or the battery is flashing lights that indicate that is not charging properly, retire the battery.

The batteries usually last about a year depending on use.

Thank you!

Karen D

It is difficult to decide to put $900 on the shelf if you think they have useful life remaining. Of course Autel wants to sell batteries so they'll encourage it.

The thing is I would have kept using these indefinitely if I had not happened to notice that I couldn't see through the slots. I just wish there was something more definitive.

Well I emailed with Autel and they said I should retire the batteries. I asked how long the batteries should be good for in time or flights, and for more specific guidance on what to look for to make a decision to retire.

This is all I got:

Hello Tony

If you see swelling or the battery is flashing lights that indicate that is not charging properly, retire the battery.

The batteries usually last about a year depending on use.

Thank you!

Karen D

It is difficult to decide to put $900 on the shelf if you think they have useful life remaining. Of course Autel wants to sell batteries so they'll encourage it.

The thing is I would have kept using these indefinitely if I had not happened to notice that I couldn't see through the slots. I just wish there was something more definitive.
At times autel doesn't respond the same to all , some get em replaced se such as my self don't even have the consideration of a timely response. They can't be that overwhelmed. But I bet all the pay checks are not made out of rubber.

Here's my experience. I've had my two E2P batteries for over 2 years with 80 flights (combined). No swelling or error messages. I usually leave them at partial charge (~50%) or charge them fully and let them self-discharge to ~50%. I had one incident last winter where I got "overheated battery" warning due to ice formation on the rotors. That battery still seems to be OK, though. I generally land with ~6 minutes of flight time left.

Here's my experience. I've had my two E2P batteries for over 2 years with 80 flights (combined). No swelling or error messages. I usually leave them at partial charge (~50%) or charge them fully and let them self-discharge to ~50%. I had one incident last winter where I got "overheated battery" warning due to ice formation on the rotors. That battery still seems to be OK, though. I generally land with ~6 minutes of flight time left.
Can you see through the battery slots? If you're not familiar, hold the battery up to a light and you should be able to see through the slots on the side, as the cells have space between them in the shell.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
If I was getting battery errors on the app, I would feel more confident about retiring them. I'm just not convinced it is necessary yet. 🤷‍♂️

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller