Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel EVO II Pro - User Experience from a DJI User

herein2021

Reaction score
I decided to share my own personal user experience and initial observations of the Autel EVO II Pro 6K after having flown it for the first time. During the first flight I went through all 3 batteries and mainly focused on the camera features, the app, and how the drone itself flies. I also put it through a range of different tests that I have developed over the years of owning DJI drones. My sole use of drones is for commercial work; everything from promo videos to real estate to music videos, large events and more. So the tests that I put my drones through is in preparation to use them in many different situations where the success of the project depends on the drone being reliable and delivering on the client's image quality expectations.

Background

I have flown or owned every DJI model since 2014 and never even considered another maker until DJI's geofencing kicked in mid flight 2wks ago and force landed my Mavic Pro into the ocean. So some of this review will be comparing the EVO II to the DJI Mavic Pro or the P4 since the P4 also has a 1" sensor. I'll keep this post updated as I find new good and bad things.

The Bad

I have decided to start with the bad since it is a shorter list than the good.

• Tablet Holder - This problem hit me before ever even taking off. There are no good tablet holder options. One option doesn't fold at all so it doesn't fit in any of the current rugged cases and the other option does not hold an iPad mini which I found out the hard way. I ended up with the GPC tablet holder but had to make some serious modifications to hold my iPad mini. The GPC mount also feels really flimsy where it attaches to the holder.
  • Horizon Tilt - Yes the horizon definitely tilts far more with the EVO II than it ever did with any DJI drone I have flown. It is still easy to fix with keyframes in video and rotation in Lightroom but it is literally always tilted; with DJI drones it would tilt occasionally if the drone took off from an uneven surface or there was a strong cross wind; the EVO II tilts at least 90% of the time. This one was user error, after performing an IMU, compass, and gimbal calibration the horizon is now perfect. It does tilt quite often but no more than any DJI drone I've flown.
  • The App - The app is nowhere near as good as DJI's app; the worst part about it is when you run it on a tablet it will not use the full screen so a lot of screen real estate is wasted as if they never thought people would want to use anything except their phones. Besides the scaling issue, it can be difficult to get the camera information quickly. In the DJI app you can always see things like frame rate, EV, resolution, etc. at a glance; with the Autel App you have to scroll around quite a bit to see all of your settings.
  • Obstacle Avoidance - Obstacle avoidance feels like it is way too sensitive; a few times in the middle of the air with nothing around it it kicked in and slowed the drone. Also, when flying lower to the ground it was a real pain to deal with and seems overly cautious. I know it can be turned off but it would be nice if it had a lower sensitivity setting.
  • Lens Flare - It suffers from really bad lens flare at certain angles to the sun. Of course all lenses have lens flare under certain conditions but the way the 6K camera handles it is not good. The flare was very uncomplimentary and pretty much made that particular angle in relation to the sun unusable for professional work. I never had that kind of lens flare problem with the DJI drones.
  • No One Button Ludicrous Mode - With the DJI drones I use Sport Mode all the time to return quickly after completing a project or if there is a strong headwind or cross wind I use it to improve the handling of the drone for the return flight after filming. The Autel remote does not have a dedicated button for this and you could lose valuable seconds in a strong headwind scenario having to go into the app to enable ludicrous mode.
  • Controller Battery Life - The remote's battery life so far seems worse than the Mavic's probably because of the display screen. This could still be because the batteries haven't fully broken in yet, but I noticed just updating the firmware made it drop by 20% and a single flight cost around 15% of battery life.
  • Custom Color Profiles (New Finding 31 Jan 2021) - I plan on shooting exclusively in LOG and also like to turn sharpness down to -2 and contrast down to -1, but the app does not save the settings. So now I have to remember to set the settings each time and lose battery life while doing so.
  • Remaining Battery % (New Finding 5 Feb 2021) - The EVO II started force landing when the time remaining still showed 4min, if I had not been able to cancel the landing process I would have lost it in the ocean. I'm not sure yet if the time remaining is just wrong, the EVO II is overly aggressive with forced battery landings, or if it just can't properly detect the remaining percentage. I never had this problem with DJI drones and could fly them until they showed 0% remaining.
  • Car Charger (New Finding Feb 6 2021) - I bought the car charger thinking I could use that combined with my Goal Zero 400 battery pack to recharge the flight batteries at long events....well its a complete waste of money for me. It has circuitry to prevent draining your car's battery to the point to where it won't start and there is no way to turn it off. So when I tried to use it with my battery pack it would not charge the flight battery even though the battery pack was fully charged and can charge about 5 flight batteries before it dies.
  • Battery Level Indicator (New Finding 6 Feb 2021) - I know this seems minor, but it is very difficult to see the battery level indicator on the back of the batteries in direct sunlight. You have to shade the battery from the sun to see the level. With the DJI drones the light is bright enough to see even in direct sunlight.
  • Stuck Battery Remaining Indicator (New Finding 27 Feb 2021) - On a recent flight the battery level indicator in the app, on the remote, and on the battery all showed 100% even though the battery only had 40% remaining. This is the most serious bug I have seen to date. If your battery remaining time seems stuck or doesn't decrease while flying I recommend you land immediately and restart the drone.
  • Inaccurate EXIF Metadata (New Finding 25 Jan 2022) - I discovered that the EXIF data for the GPS altitude that the EVO adds to the raw images is wildly in accurate. It is bad enough that it lists the altitude based on ASL vs AGL, but it is not even close to being accurate. It showed 250m below sea level when the drone was about 150' AGL. This doesn't sound like a big deal until you need that data to verify a specific job or want to use the exact same altitude for say a recurring project, I never had that problem with DJI drones.
  • Failure to Take The Picture (New Finding 8 June 2022) - Sometimes if you press the shutter button on the remote controller it does not take the picture. Usually this is because the buffer hasn't cleared from the previous picture, but sometimes not. It always seems to take the picture if you tap the shutter button within the app. I always listen for the shutter sound, if I don't hear the shutter sound then it did not take the picture.
  • Intelligent Power Output (New Finding 13 Oct 2022) - I have noticed that the EVO II throttles the power output when in Standard mode. This is as expected when the drone has the speed limit set to 22mph, the problem is when it is too windy for the EVO to reach 22mph in Standard mode. It would be nice if the EVO II were to automatically apply up to full power when it is unable to reach its 22mph speed limit in Standard mode due to wind. This would eliminate most of the times I need to manually switch to Ludicrous mode to overcome a headwind or crosswind. It obviously throttles down when its a tailwind to keep from going over 22mph, I don't understand why it can't throttle up in a headwind without having to switch to Ludicrous mode.
  • Histogram / Display Inconsistency (New Finding 13 Oct 2022) - I discovered that the image you are viewing on the display while taking pictures is based on the JPG profile applied to the JPG or video settings. Every every camera have ever used when shooting in RAW will display a neutral profile that is a close approximation to what the RAW image looks like, also the histogram is tied to that neutral profile as well. The Autel EVO II 6K instead displays the JPG profile which is NOT the proper raw starting point that you will see when you import the raw image into your post processor. This makes it more difficult to properly expose the image when using the LOG color profile for video since it also applies to the RAW embedded JPG as well as the histogram and the screen output. I go into more detail in this post regarding this problem.
The Good

• No Geofencing - Without a doubt my favorite 'feature' by far. It was a relief just knowing there was no chance geofencing could kick in during the flight and risk downing the drone.
  • Range Test - While the range was acceptable it was not exceptional. This was a little disappointing; I have taken every drone since 2014 that I have owned to the same park and performed the same tests over the years so I know for a fact that the EVO II started dropping its video signal at the exact same range as the DJI drones; and yes I pointed the controller in the direction of the drone and I had the antennas pointed down.
  • Straight Line Test - One of the tests that I do is position the drone exactly aligned with railroad tracks and see how long the drone can fly in a straight line over the railroad tracks before it drifts off course. I have the center cross hairs turned on for this test. The EVO II performed better on this test than any DJI drone I have ever tested this way. DJI drones tend to turn slowly left without constant slight correction during forward flight.
  • Orbit Test - Orbiting is one of my favorite drone movements so I always see how a drone performs during orbits. With the center cross hairs turned on I orbit clockwise and counter clockwise around an object. Once again the EVO II straight out of the box with no tuning performed flawlessly. Orbits in particular require very precise control input and the drone must adhere to the input without drifting to perform a smooth orbit which is why I like this test.
  • Camera Angle Feedback - I have wished DJI would add this feature since 2014...I even emailed it as a feature request to DJI and of course got no response. It is nice to see the camera angle shown in the app. There are plenty of times when you want to mirror a specific camera angle such as if you were filming something and had to land to change the batteries then took off again and want the footage to look like a single take; or when you are creating progression construction photography and want each visit to the site to look identical to the last visit.
  • Overall Handling - Many YouTube reviewers stated that the EVO II does not handle as well as the DJI drones; I don't feel that way at all, straight out of the box settings feel very smooth to me, the only thing I am going to do is turn down the gimbal tilt speed which is the same thing I did with the DJI drones.
  • ALOG - The EVO II's ALOG is way better than anything I have seen come out of DLOG. DJI in my opinion is overly aggressive with their LOG profile and they tend to throw away data that cannot be recovered. Autel's ALOG was a joy to color grade; it took seconds in Davinci Resolve to grade it to the Rec.709 standard.
  • Highlight Rolloff - So many people get caught up in dynamic range and low light performance; few people discuss highlight rolloff. A camera can have great low light performance and dynamic range but terrible highlight rolloff and the image will be unrecoverable when the highlights are over exposed. The EVO II 6K camera has great highlight rolloff from what I can tell so far.
  • Camera Settings Buttons - This is a nice feature that the DJI drones don't have; I was able to change all of the camera settings without having to touch the tablet screen.
  • Flight Time - Flight time was ok, it did not seem any longer than the DJI drones though; its supposed to be 40min but that must be when it is just sitting on the ground with the blades spinning because just getting it into the air and my remaining time dropped to 33min. The batteries will probably perform better after a few charging cycles but for now its nowhere near 40min. This really isn't a bad thing though, 30 useable min is still plenty to me.
  • Initial Setup - DJI's initial setup where it demands your email address and account information always irked me. I felt like they were demanding far more information than should be needed just to fly the drone. The EVO II's setup was much less invasive although it would be nice to know exactly what information is sent during the "Activation" portion of the setup but I was surprised that it did not even ask for an email address.
  • Battery Temperature Recovery Time (New Finding 31 Jan 2021) - The EVO II's batteries do not seem to make you wait until they cool down to start recharging. This was always a major annoyance with DJI; you had to wait sometimes up to 2hrs just to start recharging their batteries starting with the P4, so mobile charging was impossible.
  • Alerts / Warnings (New Finding 5 Feb 2021) - I've noticed the alerts and notices are much less invasive than DJI's. With DJI they would cover the whole screen midflight and force you to clear them by hand. Also, they popped up more and more; high wind warning, above takeoff altitude warning, line of sight reminder, airspace warning....and on and on, so annoying. Autel's Explorer app stays out of your way, auto hides the alerts after a few seconds, and doesn't nag you with useless information.
  • Quieter Props (New Finding 5 Feb 2021) - I added the new quieter props to the EVO II and it did make a difference in sound. The EVO II was already quieter than the P4 or Mavic Pro, but now it is even quieter both the dB and pitch decreased while I did not observe any loss in stability or performance.
  • Ludicrous Mode Stability (New Finding 5 Feb 2021) - I flew in ludicrous mode most of today because I was filming boats who were averaging 30-40mph. The EVO II is surprisingly stable even in ludicrous mode compared to the DJI drones whose gimbals seemed to lose control in Sport mode. It really feels like the EVO II's gimbal is much stronger than the ones DJI uses.
  • Gimbal 30 Degree Angle (New Finding 12 Feb 2021) - Now this is seriously cool, you can point the camera up by up to 30 degrees without seeing the props in the shot. This opens up a whole new area of creativity for establishing shots, flying under tree cover, bridges, etc. anything where there is something above the drone. I am going to leave the 0 degree limiter on most of the time, but its great to have another creative option when the situation calls for it.
  • Incognito Mode (New Finding 13 Feb 2021) - The EVO II lets you turn off the front AND rear lights, this is seriously useful in many situations and I have been using this feature a lot more than I initially thought I would. DJI never let you turn off the rear lights going back as far as the Phantom 2.
  • Useable Range Without Interference (New Finding 25 Feb 2021) - This was a pleasant surprise; the EVO II seems to have a longer useable range than any DJI drone I have flown with one major caveat; it has to be in an interference free area. The DJI drones seem to be able to better handle interference heavy areas but the EVO seems better at longer ranges when there is no interference.
  • Lens Profile Corrections (New Finding 10 March 2021) - The EVO II 6K's lens has very little vignetting and barrel distortion. Both can be fixed in post but fixing barrel distortion in particular is a destructive process that makes the fixed regions blurry and can make stitching panoramas more difficult.
  • Low Light Performance (New Finding 4 April 2021) - The EVO II 6K continues to impress me with its lowlight performance. It took me awhile and a lot of testing to reach this conclusion after having flown the Inspire 1 and Inspire 2 with the X5 camera.....but I can now say without hesitation that the lowlight performance of the EVO II 6K exceeds the MFT sensor in the Inspire's X5 camera.

Wish List
  • WFM - Its always annoying to me when camera makers add a LOG profile but leave out the waveform monitor which is the number one tool you need to expose for LOG footage. It would be nice if they would add a WFM option. In lieu of a WFM I used the histogram to set exposure and its ok but nowhere near as useful as a WFM for LOG footage
  • Monitor LUT - Another tool I wish they would add when shooting in LOG. A Rec.709 monitoring LUT would be great to improve visibility. The good news is that the ALOG footage is nowhere near as flat as DJI's DLOG so it is not as hard to monitor even without a monitoring LUT.
  • Better Remote - the current remote just feels really odd in the hands; the ergonomics aren't great and the handles feel like they are going to close at any moment. Also the remote has no way to attach a lanyard, the P4's remote is still my favorite to date (built in tablet holder and lanyard loop). I know this is meant to be smaller but I still think there's room for improvement here. Lets not forget those terrible buttons on the underside, they are so easy to push that its best to just not assign anything to them. I wish I could disable them completely because the remote still beeps when one is pressed.
  • Different Color - The orange is pretty hard to get used to.
  • Altitude Limit - The altitude limit is set to a generous 2600' or so but it would be nice if there were none at all. Prior to the pandemic I travelled outside of the USA quite a bit and frequently took a drone with me; when you are going up a mountainside with a drone it records how high you are from your takeoff point not based on AGL, so I ran into a few situations with DJI drones where it refused to go any higher because it thought it was 1500' AGL when it fact it was only a few hundred feet above the mountainside. Even stateside the FAA lets you go above 400' when you are close enough to something higher than that in certain airspace.
  • Controller Charging Interface - Getting brand new consumer products that still use the old USB standard are just annoying at this point. As consumers we will never be able to get rid of our old chargers and standardize on USB-C if we keep getting brand new products that don't have USB-C ports. So it would be nice if the charging interface were USB-C.
  • Shutter Angle - It would be nice to have a shutter angle option to keep from having to adjust the shutter speed during ISO / Aperture changes.
  • AGL In Metadata - I noticed in the RAW images metadata that the EVO II only stores the altitude Above Sea Level (ASL). It would be nice if it also stored the altitude Above Ground Level (AGL). AGL is much more useful when doing precision work like commercial elevation views and virtual staging.
  • Aspect Ratio Overlay Guides (New 17 Jul 2021) - I shoot a lot of video content and for social media I need an aspect ratio of 4:5 to fit properly on Instagram and Facebook. It would be great if it was possible to add different aspect ratio guides to the video display so that I could compose the scene for both Instagram/ Facebook and YouTube/Vimeo. My regular video camera has this and it is great to be able to see right on screen what would be in the scene on Instagram and other social media platforms.
Other

This is just general information that I'm finding out on my own as I use the EVO II. These are things that either are impossible to find in the documentation or that aren't documented at all.

• Crop Factor - It appears the EVO II 6K has a crop when shooting 4K60FPS, I'd estimate the crop factor to be around 1.2x or 1.3x so not much of a crop but it definitely looks like a crop when you go from 4K30FPS to 4K60FPS.
  • 10bit vs 8bit - The 4K60FPS and 5.4K30FPS HEVC H.265 footage is only 8bit 4:2:0 footage where as the 4K30FPS HEVC H.265 footage is indeed 10bit 4:2:0 footage, I'm not sure what 1080P is or if changing to the MP4 container or H.264 will matter.
  • JPG vs RAW - The EVO II 6K has the ability to take images while filming video; however the images will be saved as JPG even if you have it set to RAW only. To get RAW images you must stop filming video first. To take a picture while filming video you have to use the shutter button on the remote. These images are far lower quality than the regular JPG images let alone RAW because they are just screen grabs from the video; this means they don't use the full sensor width, and they inherit the video color profile so I definitely do not recommend using this feature if you want quality images.
  • Framerate (New 14 April 2021) - The EVO II 6K shoots at 30FPS and 60FPS which I still find odd every time I drop the footage onto a project timeline. Every other camera I own shoots at 29.97FPS and 59.94FPS. So far it hasn't seemed to matter, but I still find it odd.
  • Field of View (FOV) (New April 25 2021) - The FOV of the EVO II 6K at 82° is narrower than the DJI P4 Pro by 12°. This comes with both pros and cons which I discuss in greater detail in this post.
  • Daylight WB (New April 13 2022) - I started wondering recently just what color temp Autel sets the EVO II's camera to when Daylight WB is selected so I checked a RAW file for the WB value. It appears that they set the WB to 5150 with a magenta tint value of 48. This seems like a rather odd WB choice since most cameras set the WB closer to 5600K when daylight WB is chosen.
  • Sensor Resolution (New Dec 29 2022) - I see this come up frequently on this forum. The EVO II 6K's sensor is not a 6K delivery sensor; it has the right number of MP for 6K, but for whatever reason, it is incapable of actually producing a 6K video image. The "6K" in the EVO II 6K Pro's title is pure marketing BS. IMO 5.4K is still a very respectable resolution and gives you some flexibility when delivering 4K content, but you will not get 6K footage out of the EVO II 6K's sensor.

The Verdict

As long as the EVO II continues to perform exactly as it did during its test flight today then I am happy with my purchase; once again because the completely oppressive geofencing system is gone. I am sure Autel will continue improving the app and the drone and as long as the drone does not do something that is completely beyond my control then it could easily become my main drone in the future.

Other Potentially Useful Information

Why I Never Shoot Video At 24FPS

Why I Never Use CPL Filters With Drone Cameras

Autel EVO II Pro - User Experience from a DJI User

EXPLORE YOUR WORLD: An Autel EVO II Pro 6K Cinematic Story

Why I ALWAYS use Daylight WB with Drone Cameras

Why I NEVER use LUTS when Primaries Grading

New (24 March 2021)

I created a camera campaign style video with the EVO II entitled "Explore Your World". Despite all of its shortcomings, it is definitely possible to create amazing footage with the EVO II 6K.

New (4 April 2021)

The image below was shot at F2.8 | ISO100 | Shutter 1/5s | WB Auto | Format RAW. To the human eye it was nearly pitch black outside. Yet the EVO II 6K camera was able to retain an incredible amount of color information.

Project-04042021-TPAV-TampaDowntown (2).jpg

Last edited:
Hello,
Just got my Evo 2 Pro a few weeks ago. I agree with all of your remarks, with a few exceptions. I strangely never had any gimbal tilting and orange doesn’t do me bad. Try to calibrate IMU and then reboot everything and check if you have better results.
Since I’m new to drones, I triple check everything, even RC calibration.
Have some beautiful flights!!

Great write up, I just got the Evo 11 Pro and the biggest thing for me purchasing was the lack of any type of geo fencing . Trying to fly our two DJI drones worth around 23 grand has been nothing but painful because of all of the geofencing restrictions. Coming from the smart controller and Cendence with crystal sky the Autel remote felt like a toy . I don’t mind using the iPhone as a screen but the camera tilt roller I just can’t get used to, it feels out of place and awkward . The app could definitely be changed i miss the tripod , p mode and sports mode at the push of a button . Another big gripe is not having the option to hover or land with a remote control disconnect. I fly in some narly urban streams and if I loose signal then a automatic return to home will put me in the vines, privet or tree canopy and then into the creek. Even with all my dislikes one thing is certain, I can now take off anywhere i (Mod Removed Language)please

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
Just got my Evo 2 Pro a few weeks ago. I agree with all of your remarks, with a few exceptions. I strangely never had any gimbal tilting and orange doesn’t do me bad. Try to calibrate IMU and then reboot everything and check if you have better results.

I did the gimbal calibration but I may try doing a full calibration of everything including the compass and IMU, thx. I haven't done any calibrations to my DJI drones in years; they just work out of the box.

Great write up, I just got the Evo 11 Pro and the biggest thing for me purchasing was the lack of any type of geo fencing . Trying to fly our two DJI drones worth around 23 grand has been nothing but painful because of all of the geofencing restrictions. Coming from the smart controller and Cendence with crystal sky the Autel remote felt like a toy . I don’t mind using the iPhone as a screen but the camera tilt roller I just can’t get used to, it feels out of place and awkward . The app could definitely be changed i miss the tripod , p mode and sports mode at the push of a button . Another big gripe is not having the option to hover or land with a remote control disconnect. I fly in some narly urban streams and if I loose signal then a automatic return to home will put me in the vines, privet or tree canopy and then into the creek. Even with all my dislikes one thing is certain, I can now take off anywhere i dam please

Here's to hoping Autel never adds geofencing; if they do then there will no longer be a truly good reason to switch from DJI. The camera tilt roller does have a lot of slack in it, then if you roll it faster the gimbal suddenly tilts faster than you intended; that's why I'm going to need to turn down the gimbal tilt speed, between the roller and the slack time its difficult to be precise with it.

You will definitely lose it if it does a RTH under those conditions if it does not let you cancel in time; on the other hand the obstacle avoidance is so good it may end up hovering on its own if it cannot find a clear path back to the takeoff point. I would say Autel is about 2yrs behind DJI in everything and they are also tiny compared to DJI. I read somewhere that DJI has literally hundreds of scientists in their R&D department; I'm guessing Autel has 10 at best.

2yrs behind DJI isn't necessarily a bad thing; I've been flying so long I remember having to press record on the GoPro prior to launch and having to rig up my own FPV transmission system so that I could see where the drone was going, and my own GPS system to see how to get back. The way I used to take pictures was to set the GoPro to video + pictures and I'd have to guess if I got the shot. No to mention the 10-15min of useless video footage after it landed since I couldn't start or stop the video recording remotely.

Funny thing is...those old rigs used 700MHz instead of 2.4GHz and I had no problems going 7 miles in any direction (prior to the FAA BVLOS restrictions); the only limitation was the battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrimtheViking
I did the gimbal calibration but I may try doing a full calibration of everything including the compass and IMU, thx. I haven't done any calibrations to my DJI drones in years; they just work out of the box.

Here's to hoping Autel never adds geofencing; if they do then there will no longer be a truly good reason to switch from DJI. The camera tilt roller does have a lot of slack in it, then if you roll it faster the gimbal suddenly tilts faster than you intended; that's why I'm going to need to turn down the gimbal tilt speed, between the roller and the slack time its difficult to be precise with it.

You will definitely lose it if it does a RTH under those conditions if it does not let you cancel in time; on the other hand the obstacle avoidance is so good it may end up hovering on its own if it cannot find a clear path back to the takeoff point. I would say Autel is about 2yrs behind DJI in everything and they are also tiny compared to DJI. I read somewhere that DJI has literally hundreds of scientists in their R&D department; I'm guessing Autel has 10 at best.

2yrs behind DJI isn't necessarily a bad thing; I've been flying so long I remember having to press record on the GoPro prior to launch and having to rig up my own FPV transmission system so that I could see where the drone was going, and my own GPS system to see how to get back. The way I used to take pictures was to set the GoPro to video + pictures and I'd have to guess if I got the shot. No to mention the 10-15min of useless video footage after it landed since I couldn't start or stop the video recording remotely.

Funny thing is...those old rigs used 700MHz instead of 2.4GHz and I had no problems going 7 miles in any direction (prior to the FAA BVLOS restrictions); the only limitation was the battery.
Good informative post herein,

Any recommendations with an older model still available with 700MHz? I’d like to experiment with one, maybe I can find one off eBay or the internet.

I didn’t start flying drones until 3 years ago.

Thanks for your post,
Paul

Good informative post herein,

Any recommendations with an older model still available with 700MHz? I’d like to experiment with one, maybe I can find one off eBay or the internet.

I didn’t start flying drones until 3 years ago.

Thanks for your post,
Paul

I would not recommend buying a used drone especially one that old. It is almost guaranteed to have been crashed or have other issues that could make you lose it or damage something. If you really want to relive the good old days I'd recommend building one from a DIY kit or something like that.

But if you want the exact drone I had you would need to find a DJI Phantom 2 GoPro edition then add on a FPV transmitter, get an FPV receiver monitor, and get the GPS module add on in order to figure out the drone's orientation in relation to where you are standing. By the time you get everything working you will have paid more than the cost of the EVO II and have a far inferior product.

Hello,

Well, your tip actually worked. I did an IMU calibration, compass calibration, and another gimbal calibration and the horizon is now perfect. It still tilts a bit but no worse than the DJI drones.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
What about full live streaming within the Autel settings as it relates to the Live Deck configuration. I am hoping that they enable a DHCP feature via the ethernet port to facilitate. Also I saw that they have released megaphones and Night/searchlights at CES 2021. Autel Robotics at CES 2021 Recap - Drone products debut overseas .

Does anyone know the price and know where to get them?

Great reviews also.

I would not recommend buying a used drone especially one that old. It is almost guaranteed to have been crashed or have other issues that could make you lose it or damage something. If you really want to relive the good old days I'd recommend building one from a DIY kit or something like that.

But if you want the exact drone I had you would need to find a DJI Phantom 2 GoPro edition then add on a FPV transmitter, get an FPV receiver monitor, and get the GPS module add on in order to figure out the drone's orientation in relation to where you are standing. By the time you get everything working you will have paid more than the cost of the EVO II and have a far inferior product.

Well, your tip actually worked. I did an IMU calibration, compass calibration, and another gimbal calibration and the horizon is now perfect. It still tilts a bit but no worse than the DJI drones.
I’m glad it worked for you. Keep in mind the IMU calibration must be the last one. First do everything else ( compass calibration outside, no metals around, no cement ) and last but not least the IMU

Reactions: Mainey
I’m glad it worked for you. Keep in mind the IMU calibration must be the last one. First do everything else ( compass calibration outside, no metals around, no cement ) and last but not least the IMU
Actually that's backwards, you are always supposed to do the IMU first. There is some debate on whether you calibrate the compass last or gimbal last; I always calibrate the gimbal last because I figure its calibration could have been affected by all of the twisting and turning that is require to calibrate the other two.

Also, you are supposed to perform a compass calibration if you have travelled more than 20 miles or so from the last position where you performed the calibration. For the IMU I never perform an IMU calibration unless the IMU shows an error on the screen. Personally I never calibrate anything unless something is not working properly.

Reactions: GrimtheViking
So far I have been through 9 batteries and the EVO II has performed pretty good, in some areas great, in some other areas not so great, below are some of my recent findings.

THE BAD
  • App Overlay - Very annoying, the app overlays the video feed so if you are going for a fill the frame look and need very precise positioning and don't want to crop later then you will have problems. The app should be above and below the video feed not overlayed. I was out shooting today and was not sure if I needed to recompose because the top and bottom edges were overlayed with drone information; once again it seems like the app was never meant to be used on a tablet. They should have had it scale to a tablet and moved the information to the top and bottom if it detected the larger screen resolution. Its minor but annoying if you are used to precision framing and composition.
  • Occasional Delay - Sometimes there is a delay when trying to change camera settings or start/stop recording while the EVO is in the air. I've seen the delay last up to 30 seconds.
  • Tablet Battery Drain - The EVO's Explorer app drains the iPad mini's battery faster than the DJI app. The iPad mini's battery was down to 54% from 100% after flying just 4 batteries. With the DJI drones I used to easily get 10-15 full battery flights out of it and the iPad would still show 30% remaining.
THE GOOD

• Wind Handling - The EVO II performs incredibly well in the wind. I did some filming today in steady 20mph wind and included complex camera and drone movements...the camera and drone were rock solid. One shot in particular was a very long continuous dolly in shot and there was a 15-20mph head to crosswind and it did not veer one bit off course.
  • Battery Recharging - I had almost forgotten the days when DJI let you recharge the batteries immediately. I used to take a Yeti Goal 0 400 with me and could fly the P2 all day with just the Yeti and 3 batteries. It looks like I'll be able to start doing that again with the EVO II as soon as I get the car charger.

Reactions: AdamJ1555
Thanks for the detailed review and welcome to the Autel family!

Regarding tablet holders - check out the GPC option. We tried all the different holder variations and settled on this one.

Reactions: wmaldridge
Good (very) write up and I agree with all mostly, never had a problem with cropped screen on a 9" tablet though.. I use an extender for a DJI something, off Amazon for about £12, needs a bit of moding but once done does easily come apart for storage and takes < 1min to assemble... also if you get hold of an old laptop bag strap with the clip on ends, with a little persuasion they will fit between the two parts of each controller handle and stay there, I used Sugru to make a raised edge around the A / B buttons and Record button to stop accidentally pressing them, works a treat. Batteries, after about 12 cycles the duration went up to about 36 mins, cant see it going any higher but it actually lasts longer flying, sensibly, rather than just hovering, you just might get about 38 / 39 if no wind about. Cheers

Tineer Remote Control Extended Front Holder Bracket for DJI Mavic 2 Pro Zoom/Mavic Mini/Mavic Air/Spark Drone, Support 4.6-11Inches Front Holder for Phone Tablet Mount Clip £14 now...​

Cut off the plastic which covers the front and edge of controller, leave top part, cut bottom off back of plastic, drill hole for the screw, etc...

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: G_G
I decided to share my own personal user experience and initial observations of the Autel EVO II Pro 6K after having flown it for the first time. During the first flight I went through all 3 batteries and mainly focused on the camera features, the app, and how the drone itself flies. I also put it through a range of different tests that I have developed over the years of owning DJI drones. My sole use of drones is for commercial work; everything from promo videos to real estate to music videos, large events and more. So the tests that I put my drones through is in preparation to use them in many different situations where the success of the project depends on the drone being reliable and delivering on the client's image quality expectations.

Background

I have flown or owned every DJI model since 2014 and never even considered another maker until DJI's geofencing kicked in mid flight 2wks ago and force landed my Mavic Pro into the ocean. So some of this review will be comparing the EVO II to the DJI Mavic Pro or the P4 since the P4 also has a 1" sensor. I'll keep this post updated as I find new good and bad things.

The Bad

• Tablet Holder - This problem hit me before ever even taking off. There are no good tablet holder options. One option doesn't fold at all so it doesn't fit in any of the current rugged cases and the other option does not hold an iPad mini which I found out the hard way. I ended up with the GPC tablet holder but had to make some serious modifications to hold my iPad mini. The GPC mount also feels really flimsy where it attaches to the holder.
  • Horizon Tilt - Yes the horizon definitely tilts far more with the EVO II than it ever did with any DJI drone I have flown. It is still easy to fix with keyframes in video and rotation in Lightroom but it is literally always tilted; with DJI drones it would tilt occasionally if the drone took off from an uneven surface or there was a strong cross wind; the EVO II tilts at least 90% of the time. This one was user error, after performing an IMU, compass, and gimbal calibration the horizon is now perfect.
  • The App - The app is nowhere near as good as DJI's app; the worst part about it is when you run it on a tablet it will not use the full screen so a lot of screen real estate is wasted as if they never thought people would want to use anything except their phones. Besides the scaling issue, it can be difficult to get the camera information quickly. In the DJI app you can always see things like frame rate, EV, resolution, etc. at a glance; with the Autel App you have to scroll around quite a bit to see all of your settings.
  • Obstacle Avoidance - Obstacle avoidance feels like it is way too sensitive; a few times in the middle of the air with nothing around it it kicked in and slowed the drone. Also, when flying lower to the ground it was a real pain to deal with and seems overly cautious. I know it can be turned off but it would be nice if it had a lower sensitivity setting.
  • Lens Flare - It suffers from really bad lens flare at certain angles to the sun. Of course all lenses have lens flare under certain conditions but the way the 6K camera handles it is not good. The flare was very uncomplimentary and pretty much made that particular angle in relation to the sun unusable for professional work. I never had that kind of lens flare problem with the DJI drones.
  • No One Button Ludicrous Mode - With the DJI drones I use Sport Mode all the time to return quickly after completing a project or if there is a strong headwind or cross wind I use it to improve the handling of the drone for the return flight after filming. The Autel remote does not have a dedicated button for this and you could lose valuable seconds in a strong headwind scenario having to go into the app to enable ludicrous mode.
  • Controller Battery Life - The remote's battery life so far seems worse than the Mavic's probably because of the display screen. This could still be because the batteries haven't fully broken in yet, but I noticed just updating the firmware made it drop by 20% and a single flight cost around 15% of battery life.
  • Custom Color Profiles (New Finding 31 Jan 2021) - I plan on shooting exclusively in LOG and also like to turn sharpness down to -2 and contrast down to -1, but the app does not save the settings. So now I have to remember to set the settings each time and lose battery life while doing so.
  • Remaining Battery % (New Finding 5 Feb 2021) - The EVO II started force landing when the time remaining still showed 4min, if I had not been able to cancel the landing process I would have lost it in the ocean. I'm not sure yet if the time remaining is just wrong, the EVO II is overly aggressive with forced battery landings, or if it just can't properly detect the remaining percentage. I never had this problem with DJI drones and could fly them until they showed 0% remaining.
The Good

• No Geofencing - Without a doubt my favorite 'feature' by far. It was a relief just knowing there was no chance geofencing could kick in during the flight and risk downing the drone.
  • Range Test - While the range was acceptable it was not exceptional. This was a little disappointing; I have taken every drone since 2014 that I have owned to the same park and performed the same tests over the years so I know for a fact that the EVO II started dropping its video signal at the exact same range as the DJI drones; and yes I pointed the controller in the direction of the drone and I had the antennas pointed down.
  • Straight Line Test - One of the tests that I do is position the drone exactly aligned with railroad tracks and see how long the drone can fly in a straight line over the railroad tracks before it drifts off course. I have the center cross hairs turned on for this test. The EVO II performed better on this test than any DJI drone I have ever tested this way. DJI drones tend to turn slowly left without constant slight correction during forward flight.
  • Orbit Test - Orbiting is one of my favorite drone movements so I always see how a drone performs during orbits. With the center cross hairs turned on I orbit clockwise and counter clockwise around an object. Once again the EVO II straight out of the box with no tuning performed flawlessly. Orbits in particular require very precise control input and the drone must adhere to the input without drifting to perform a smooth orbit which is why I like this test.
  • Camera Angle Feedback - I have wished DJI would add this feature since 2014...I even emailed it as a feature request to DJI and of course got no response. It is nice to see the camera angle shown in the app. There are plenty of times when you want to mirror a specific camera angle such as if you were filming something and had to land to change the batteries then took off again and want the footage to look like a single take; or when you are creating progression construction photography and want each visit to the site to look identical to the last visit.
  • Overall Handling - Many YouTube reviewers stated that the EVO II does not handle as well as the DJI drones; I don't feel that way at all, straight out of the box settings feel very smooth to me, the only thing I am going to do is turn down the gimbal tilt speed which is the same thing I did with the DJI drones.
  • ALOG - The EVO II's ALOG is way better than anything I have seen come out of DLOG. DJI in my opinion is overly aggressive with their LOG profile and they tend to throw away data that cannot be recovered. Autel's ALOG was a joy to color grade; it took seconds in Davinci Resolve to grade it to the Rec.709 standard.
  • Highlight Rolloff - So many people get caught up in dynamic range and low light performance; few people discuss highlight rolloff. A camera can have great low light performance and dynamic range but terrible highlight rolloff and the image will be unrecoverable when the highlights are over exposed. The EVO II 6K camera has great highlight rolloff from what I can tell so far.
  • Camera Settings Buttons - This is a nice feature that the DJI drones don't have; I was able to change all of the camera settings without having to touch the tablet screen.
  • Flight Time - Flight time was ok, it did not seem any longer than the DJI drones though; its supposed to be 40min but that must be when it is just sitting on the ground with the blades spinning because just getting it into the air and my remaining time dropped to 33min. The batteries will probably perform better after a few charging cycles but for now its nowhere near 40min. This really isn't a bad thing though, 30 useable min is still plenty to me.
  • Initial Setup - DJI's initial setup where it demands your email address and account information always irked me. I felt like they were demanding far more information than should be needed just to fly the drone. The EVO II's setup was much less invasive although it would be nice to know exactly what information is sent during the "Activation" portion of the setup but I was surprised that it did not even ask for an email address.
  • Battery Temperature Recovery Time (New Finding 31 Jan 2021) - The EVO II's batteries do not seem to make you wait until they cool down to start recharging. This was always a major annoyance with DJI; you had to wait sometimes up to 2hrs just to start recharging their batteries starting with the P4, so mobile charging was impossible.
  • Alerts / Warnings (New Finding 5 Feb 2021) - I've noticed the alerts and notices are much less invasive than DJI's. With DJI they would cover the whole screen midflight and force you to clear them by hand. Also, they popped up more and more; high wind warning, above takeoff altitude warning, line of sight reminder, airspace warning....and on and on, so annoying. Autel's Explorer app stays out of your way, auto hides the alerts after a few seconds, and doesn't nag you with useless information.
  • Quieter Props (New Finding 5 Feb 2021) - I added the new quieter props to the EVO II and it did make a difference in sound. The EVO II was already quieter than the P4 or Mavic Pro, but now it is even quieter both the dB and pitch decreased while I did not observe any loss in stability or performance.
  • Ludicrous Mode Stability (New Finding 5 Feb 2021) - I flew in ludicrous mode most of today because I was filming boats who were averaging 30-40mph. The EVO II is surprisingly stable even in ludicrous mode compared to the DJI drones whose gimbals seemed to lose control in Sport mode. It really feels like the EVO II's gimbal is much stronger than the ones DJI uses.

Wish List
  • WFM - Its always annoying to me when camera makers add a LOG profile but leave out the waveform monitor which is the number one tool you need to expose for LOG footage. It would be nice if they would add a WFM option. In lieu of a WFM I used the histogram to set exposure and its ok but nowhere near as useful as a WFM for LOG footage
  • Monitor LUT - Another tool I wish they would add when shooting in LOG. A Rec.709 monitoring LUT would be great to improve visibility. The good news is that the ALOG footage is nowhere near as flat as DJI's DLOG so it is not as hard to monitor even without a monitoring LUT.
  • Better Remote - the current remote just feels really odd in the hands; the ergonomics aren't great and the handles feel like they are going to close at any moment. Also the remote has no way to attach a lanyard, the P4's remote is still my favorite to date (built in tablet holder and lanyard loop). I know this is meant to be smaller but I still think there's room for improvement here. Lets not forget those terrible buttons on the underside, they are so easy to push that its best to just not assign anything to them. I wish I could disable them completely because the remote still beeps when one is pressed.
  • Altitude Limit - The altitude limit is set to a generous 2600' or so but it would be nice if there were none at all. Prior to the pandemic I travelled outside of the USA quite a bit and frequently took a drone with me; when you are going up a mountainside with a drone it records how high you are from your takeoff point not based on AGL, so I ran into a few situations with DJI drones where it refused to go any higher because it thought it was 1500' AGL when it fact it was only a few hundred feet above the mountainside. Even stateside the FAA lets you go above 400' when you are close enough to something higher than that in certain airspace.
  • Controller Charging Interface - Getting brand new consumer products that still use the old USB standard are just annoying at this point. As consumers we will never be able to get rid of our old chargers and standardize on USB-C if we keep getting brand new products that don't have USB-C ports. So it would be nice if the charging interface were USB-C.
Other

This is just general information that I'm finding out on my own as I use the EVO II. These are things that either are impossible to find in the documentation or that aren't documented at all.

• Crop Factor - It appears the EVO II 6K has a crop when shooting 4K60FPS, I'd estimate the crop factor to be around 1.2x or 1.3x so not much of a crop but it definitely looks like a crop when you go from 4K30FPS to 4K60FPS.
  • 10bit vs 8bit - The 4K60FPS HEVC H.265 footage is only 8bit 4:2:0 footage where as the 4K30FPS HEVC H.265 footage is indeed 10bit 4:2:0 footage, I'm not sure what 1080P is or if changing to the MP4 container or H.264 will matter.

The Verdict

As long as the EVO II continues to perform exactly as it did during its test flight today then I am happy with my purchase; once again because the completely oppressive geofencing system is gone. I am sure Autel will continue improving the app and the drone and as long as the drone does not do something that is completely beyond my control then it could easily become my main drone in the future.
I agree with many of your comments however, yes the Remote Control could be improved but it is not as bad ergonomically as the Remote for the DJI Mini 2/Air 2. For me the remote of the Mavic Pro/Mavic 2 was good especially as it has a monochrome display that could be read in bright sunlight. I use an iPad Mini 4 with the Mavic. As for the orange colour of the Evo 2, I find it much better than the grey of the DJI kit and the near 360 deg obstacle detection is much better than anything DJi has to offer in the consumer range and even the Inspire 2.

What lets the Evo 2 down is Explorer. The concept of Rectangle and Polygon Missions is good, but the inability to take RAW still images in any of the Missions is a major issue along with not being able to record video in either the Rectangle of Polygon Missions is a major shortcoming that means I have use my Inspire 2 for this. I use Litchi virtually all of the time with the Mavic Pro and Inspire 2 and it is a great pity that there is not a third party app like Litchi for the Evo 2.

In general I am very happy with the Evo 2 but I will be even more happy if Explorer gets updated to to cover the aforementioned omissions.

One last gripe. Charging 4 batteries using the hub takes a very long time i.e. between 5 and 6 hours and the mains power unit get excessively, even dangerously hot with it peaking at over 60 deg celsius and that is in an ambient temperature of 22 deg Celsius.

Reactions: gschulzuio
@herein2021
Great write up from a professional, much appreciated. Although I come from a semi-pro photog and video background, I don't use my drones in any money making way, so this write up will be very helpful to other pros, and non-pros alike. I have always liked Autel, from the Evo I and now the Evo II 6k. I currently work for a software company that you may find would be very helpful in your line of work, especially if you need to fly up some mountain areas. ;) (we just came out with something for the Explorer app) We have lots of industry customers, including some of the big Hollywood studios. Give us a look...the software is super easy to use. I am quite active on this forum, since I own just about all the DJI drones, and the Evo's. Our motto has always been that the responsibility of flight is ALWAYS the responsibility of the pilot, not the manufacturer of the drone. Sent you a PM. It gives us great pleasure to help free up Pro's to make more money with their drones.

As I'm presently a N0N drone owner, I'm looking into the purchase of a quality product that has very very good video.
I like this information because I understand most of the terms/words used :)

I have what may be a dumb question, but I'm not looking for a dumb answer ha ha ha

You use the 'handset' to direct the drone (I understand that) but the 'screen' ?
Is it large or sophisticated enough to actually see what the drone camera is catching on video ??
I see you can add a "tablet mount" but I don't have a tablet, do I need one ?
Where is the drone video saved ?? is it in the 'tablet' or my LG phone?
Or is it direct to a sim card, then the card removed and edited on a laptop. (sounds logical now I have re-read it)

Thanks in advance

Paul
Australia.

I fly without a tablet/phone/gadget You are limited to basic default settings, so far not an issue
you can see the shot with the remote screen, not well enough for "unedited" nailed it shot though, I'm always tinkering in post
typically I fly with the video running lift to land. I'll stop the video if I see a good image, shoot that, then resume video
edit later.
all the video and stills are on the removable SD card. I always start with a clean formatted card, after I land i swap out the card with data and swap in a clean, that way next flight it's ready.
I can typically "see" the points of interest before I fly, I "plan in my head" a basic flight, angle of shots, etc. I'll review at land, that way if I missed something, If enough battery go back for a quick shot, or on the safe side a 2nd battery

Reactions: Mainey

Background

The Bad

• Horizon Tilt - Yes the horizon definitely tilts far more with the EVO II than it ever did with any DJI drone I have flown. It is still easy to fix with keyframes in video and rotation in Lightroom but it is literally always tilted; with DJI drones it would tilt occasionally if the drone took off from an uneven surface or there was a strong cross wind; the EVO II tilts at least 90% of the time. This one was user error, after performing an IMU, compass, and gimbal calibration the horizon is now perfect.
The Good

Wish List
Other

• 10bit vs 8bit - The 4K60FPS HEVC H.265 footage is only 8bit 4:2:0 footage where as the 4K30FPS HEVC H.265 footage is indeed 10bit 4:2:0 footage, I'm not sure what 1080P is or if changing to the MP4 container or H.264 will matter.

The Verdict

Wow, thanks for a great, and very practical, review! ??

@AdamJ1555 @charmin I am using the GPC mount now. I cut off the ends of the GPC mount and bolted it to a tablet clamp that was for a Mavic Pro tablet mount and it is perfect for me now. I still included it in my list of negatives because mods like that you don't have to do with the DJI tablet mounts. I have attached a picture of what my bracket now looks like.

I agree with many of your comments however, yes the Remote Control could be improved but it is not as bad ergonomically as the Remote for the DJI Mini 2/Air 2. For me the remote of the Mavic Pro/Mavic 2 was good especially as it has a monochrome display that could be read in bright sunlight. I use an iPad Mini 4 with the Mavic. As for the orange colour of the Evo 2, I find it much better than the grey of the DJI kit and the near 360 deg obstacle detection is much better than anything DJi has to offer in the consumer range and even the Inspire 2.

What lets the Evo 2 down is Explorer. The concept of Rectangle and Polygon Missions is good, but the inability to take RAW still images in any of the Missions is a major issue along with not being able to record video in either the Rectangle of Polygon Missions is a major shortcoming that means I have use my Inspire 2 for this. I use Litchi virtually all of the time with the Mavic Pro and Inspire 2 and it is a great pity that there is not a third party app like Litchi for the Evo 2.

In general I am very happy with the Evo 2 but I will be even more happy if Explorer gets updated to to cover the aforementioned omissions.

One last gripe. Charging 4 batteries using the hub takes a very long time i.e. between 5 and 6 hours and the mains power unit get excessively, even dangerously hot with it peaking at over 60 deg celsius and that is in an ambient temperature of 22 deg Celsius.

I don't do missions at all, so I haven't tested anything in that area. From the sounds of it, the Explorer app needs improvement in both the photography/video side of the house as well as the missions.

I fly without a tablet/phone/gadget You are limited to basic default settings, so far not an issue
you can see the shot with the remote screen, not well enough for "unedited" nailed it shot though, I'm always tinkering in post
typically I fly with the video running lift to land. I'll stop the video if I see a good image, shoot that, then resume video
edit later.
all the video and stills are on the removable SD card. I always start with a clean formatted card, after I land i swap out the card with data and swap in a clean, that way next flight it's ready.
I can typically "see" the points of interest before I fly, I "plan in my head" a basic flight, angle of shots, etc. I'll review at land, that way if I missed something, If enough battery go back for a quick shot, or on the safe side a 2nd battery

That is one way to do it but you end up with a ton of mostly useless video that you then have to copy to your computer, import into your NLE, and cut down to the few seconds you actually need. The best way to do it is not to hit record until you are in the air, have composed your shot, determined your camera movement, positioned the drone at the starting point, and set your WB, shutter speed, and F stop. You then shoot the exact clip you need and add about 5-10seconds to the useable portion of the video to let you trim the start and stop in your NLE. This method is far more efficient and focuses on quality vs quantity.

Attachments

• GPC_Mavic_Modification.jpg
    GPC_Mavic_Modification.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 42
This method is far more efficient and focuses on quality vs quantity.
agree, I find that comes with experience, as I fly n film more. the + side to lot's of raw data, you capture stuff "unseen". I have dozens of shots where a bird will spook from a tree. a "new" point of interest happens. It's not like the way back days where I dropped off film for processing, wait 3 days, pay $20. The post part is as fun as the flight part, watch the raw, play music til you "find a match", then start whacking 1's n 0's until you have a 90 second "work of art".

Reactions: monstaar
For over a year now, I have flown the EVO 2 8K and Mav 2 pro. Strength and lift, EVO 2 wins. Agility, Mavic wins. Photos and video are much higher resolution on the evo 8k and can be blown up to levels way beyond Mavic's images. As far as color and beauty Mavic wins relative to the 8k evo, due to sensor size. Battery life, EVO 2 wins. Even though the batteries don't need to be cooled down as much, DON'T RECHARGE THEM WARM !. I've done this and they get puffy sooner and can short circuit mid flight. Distance, out of the box, Mavic 2 pro wins. I put an active powered 2.4ghz booster on the Evo, now it flies farther than the Mavic, which has a passive antenna booster. And, because the Evo has a longer battery life, it can fly extremely far. Ground spotters needed. I've never had a problem with geo fencing with my Mavic. But, it is pain to use an internet connection each time you need to validate a flight in controlled airspace. I don't depend on the validation from the previous day's flight, as it may expire suddenly. The Evo's battery and the active antenna booster allowed me to fly it up to 20,000 feet away and back, a total of 7.6 miles, weather and spotters permitting. Oh, there is one thing i like about Mavic's camera that Evo seems to not have done. The manual panning back and forth during flight on the Mavic is great. Why the EVO can't or the designers won't implement it is beyond me. I have to fly sideways with the Evo to get the same shots as the Mavic
@AdamJ1555 @charmin I am using the GPC mount now. I cut off the ends of the GPC mount and bolted it to a tablet clamp that was for a Mavic Pro tablet mount and it is perfect for me now. I still included it in my list of negatives because mods like that you don't have to do with the DJI tablet mounts. I have attached a picture of what my bracket now looks like.

I don't do missions at all, so I haven't tested anything in that area. From the sounds of it, the Explorer app needs improvement in both the photography/video side of the house as well as the missions.

That is one way to do it but you end up with a ton of mostly useless video that you then have to copy to your computer, import into your NLE, and cut down to the few seconds you actually need. The best way to do it is not to hit record until you are in the air, have composed your shot, determined your camera movement, positioned the drone at the starting point, and set your WB, shutter speed, and F stop. You then shoot the exact clip you need and add about 5-10seconds to the useable portion of the video to let you trim the start and stop in your NLE. This method is far more efficient and focuses on quality vs quantity.
Regarding the REMOTE CONTROL HANDLES OF THE EVO 2. I bought a roll of anti skid tape for stair cases. I cut a piece to size and wrapped it around the Evo 2 handles. Now there is no slippage whatsoever. One handed grip no problem. Drops, never happen. I put the stuff on my phones too. No more dropping my phones. That anti skid tape is incredible. Got it at Lowes.
flying forward.

Reactions: Mainey and Quad808

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonahlange