Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FIRMWARE V1.4.9 is now officially released!

@Ansia - looking at your vids, it looks like you have one of the older Evo revs (based on the gimbal pitch motor cover bevel). I have one of the newer ones with the flat cover. Sounds like this problem at least crosses that hardware revision boundary. That's interesting too.

LP

@Ansia - looking at your vids, it looks like you have one of the older Evo revs (based on the gimbal pitch motor cover bevel). I have one of the newer ones with the flat cover. Sounds like this problem at least crosses that hardware revision boundary. That's interesting too.

LP
Actually the flat cover came with the first release of the Evo. They could have used it again? I don't really know. I watched Evo videos for 30 days non stop, from unboxing to full reviews, before pulling the trigger and in all of those the cover was flat.

I bought mine in Jan 29, 2019.

Actually the flat cover came with the first release of the Evo. They could have used it again? I don't really know. I watched Evo videos for 30 days non stop, from unboxing to full reviews, before pulling the trigger and in all of those the cover was flat.

I bought mine in Jan 29, 2019.

I originally thought that too - but then I looked at a bunch of videos and I'm inclined to believe the beveled cover came first. Check out the discussion in this thread - here's a pointer to my post -> Another New EVO Question.... Atomic08 posted one as well.

LP

Reactions: Ansia
Either way, we have different versions and they both have the same firmware issue. Still interesting from a debug perspective.

LP

The camera/gimbal jitter only happens in boat mode. The gimbal restart after landing only happens when NOT in boat mode. Have you tried the test I suggested? Not in boat mode, take off, drop the camera down to 90 deg, land, then watch the gimbal for 10-15 sec to see a twitch, then a restart.

LP
@LeafPeeper I just dis a short, 10 minute, flight in normal mode and no gimbal restart (as you call it). I've had the EVO for almost a year and never have had any of the many problems discussed in this forum other than a slight horizon problem which has always been correctable with a gimbal calibration. Perhaps I got lucky and got a good one. IDK..

@LeafPeeper I just dis a short, 10 minute, flight in normal mode and no gimbal restart (as you call it). I've had the EVO for almost a year and never have had any of the many problems discussed in this forum other than a slight horizon problem which has always been correctable with a gimbal calibration. Perhaps I got lucky and got a good one. IDK..

And you landed with the gimbal pointed straight down? Also, did you do a gimbal calibration after the upgrade? (that seems to have been what started it for @Ansia)

I wouldn't be totally surprised if you don't see the issue as not everyone sees the camera jitter either - or it would have been caught during beta testing. Do you see the camera jitter when the drone is just sitting on the ground and you switch on boat mode?

LP

I just did this update. It was my first time doing an update and it seemed to go fine until I went to fly. Now I can not get my controller to connect? Has anyone else experienced this? I’ve tried to reconnect multiple times to no avail. Is there a way to reset back to the version prior to the update?
Davin OT but are you in Maine?

And you landed with the gimbal pointed straight down? Also, did you do a gimbal calibration after the upgrade? (that seems to have been what started it for @Ansia)

I wouldn't be totally surprised if you don't see the issue as not everyone sees the camera jitter either - or it would have been caught during beta testing. Do you see the camera jitter when the drone is just sitting on the ground and you switch on boat mode?

LP
@LeafPeeper Yep landed with the gimbal down and no prob. Stayed down until I tilted it up. Not going to fool with boat mode until I get a project done next week. I have no need for it at this point and am going to leave well enough alone! lol

@LeafPeeper Yep landed with the gimbal down and no prob. Stayed down until I tilted it up. Not going to fool with boat mode until I get a project done next week. I have no need for it at this point and am going to leave well enough alone! lol

@jcommstudios Ok - did you do a gimbal calibration after the firmware update but before the flight? I did because the gimbal lost it's cal when I did the upgrade. It sounds like @Ansia didn't have the problem until the gimbal cal.

Thanks for the info,
LP

In all honestly, I see nothing wrong with they wanting it this way. It is different from any other drone out there, but it doesn't really prevent you from anything.

I guess that's true. I did say I could live with it if I had to. My only concerns would be - 1. extra wear on the gimbal motors due to the constant restarts, 2. having the gimbal damage itself when you inadvertantly land in a precarious position and something is up against it when it tries to restart. Furthermore, if it's by design, why doesn't it happen for @jcommstudios ?

I'm pretty sure they don't want the camera jiggle in boat mode though. If they do, I would love to hear the rationale for that one.

LP

I guess that's true. I did say I could live with it if I had to. My only concerns would be - 1. extra wear on the gimbal motors due to the constant restarts, 2. having the gimbal damage itself when you inadvertantly land in a precarious position and something is up against it when it tries to restart. Furthermore, if it's by design, why doesn't it happen for @jcommstudios ?

I'm pretty sure they don't want the camera jiggle in boat mode though. If they do, I would love to hear the rationale for that one.

LP
The gimbal motors are brush less, so it is more likely you will end up selling or crashing your drone before it stops working.

Reactions: jcommstudios
@jcommstudios Ok - did you do a gimbal calibration after the firmware update but before the flight? I did because the gimbal lost it's cal when I did the upgrade. It sounds like @Ansia didn't have the problem until the gimbal cal.

Thanks for the info,
LP
@LeafPeeper Yep... and I also reset the camera. Once you do the camera reset you have to change back to whatever settings you like to use. It defaults to .mov at 30fps and if you use a grid you need to turn it back on. I'm about to go out and shoot some aerial video of a 300 ft. ship a buddy of mine is restoring in an hour or so... will not be using ..BOAT MODE! ... lol ...Perhaps ship mode should be next.

The gimbal motors are brush less, so it is more likely you will end up selling or crashing your drone before it stops working.

This is where my ignorance gets obvious...I'm not clear on how difficult it is to damage brushless motors. Just based on their name, it would seem to say they are pretty durable. I guess I was worried because Autel mentions potential damage by starting the drone with the gimbal cover on.

Thanks -
LP

@LeafPeeper Yep... and I also reset the camera. Once you do the camera reset you have to change back to whatever settings you like to use. It defaults to .mov at 30fps and if you use a grid you need to turn it back on. I'm about to go out and shoot some aerial video of a 300 ft. ship a buddy of mine is restoring in an hour or so... will not be using ..BOAT MODE! ... lol ...Perhaps ship mode should be next.

Yeah...I reset the camera settings too every time. Well your results are perplexing, especially if Autel is now telling us that the gimbal restart is intentional. Let us know how your flight goes!

LP

Reactions: jcommstudios
This is where my ignorance gets obvious...I'm not clear on how difficult it is to damage brushless motors. Just based on their name, it would seem to say they are pretty durable. I guess I was worried because Autel mentions potential damage by starting the drone with the gimbal cover on.

Thanks -
LP
I could spend hours explaining how they work, but it's exacly how it sounds. On brushed motors, you have a brush spinning due to magnetism change and they wear over time. With brushless, the copper wires are in the non moving part, therefore don't wear and tear and lasts longer. The gimbal is designed to protect itself. If it detects restriction, it turns the motors off automatically to prevent damage.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kestrel