Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FIRMWARE V1.4.9 is now officially released!

I'm pretty sure that you have a bug/glitch in the boat mode. This video was posted on Facebook and I just tested my Evo and have exactly the same problem. This makes boat mode unusable so I hope you can push an update through quickly.

@Terry77
We are not affiliated with Autel in any way, we are just a community of enthusiast Autel users who like to share information to the community. So if you have found a bug\glitch you should relay your findings to Autel Support at the email or phone numbers listed in post #1
Unfortunately, Autel does not change anything if you forget to inform them of the problems you encounter.

Thanks Augustine. You're always on top of everything. I haven't performed the update based on the camera issue after landing. Thanks for the video leafpeeper.

Two questions:

1) Do you think this behavior is by design? I doubt it.

2) I was going to call Autel in the morning to inquire about this gimbal anomoly. Has someone here already opened a ticket with Autel? If so, I'll hold off calling.

Strange behavior but it's good to know Autel is actively working on upgrades and hasn't giving up on perfecting the horizon tilt issue.

I'm still curious about the mission planner and how that differs from regular waypoint missions.

Thanks all for keeping us posted on your findings.

I opened a ticket after I posted the video. Waiting to hear back now. In the mean time, I'll do a little more experimenting today.

LP

I wonder. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wary to update and get stuck with an annoying feature. ?

I wonder. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wary to update and get stuck with an annoying feature. ?

I'm wondering the same. Is it just me? I haven't tried the boat mode thing. That's next.

LP

Reactions: Ansia
I wonder. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wary to update and get stuck with an annoying feature. [emoji23]
Not yet, I upgraded last night but have not time yet to test it until the weekend.

Reactions: Ansia
Updated mine yesterday without any issues thus far. Kind of went pretty quick unlike the last time. Decided to recalibrated the gimbal as the last time horizon was slightly off. Going to test flight over the weekend.

I figured your problem was caused by boat mode.
Is boat mode on by default? I didn't even look for the setting. I will have to check that. Would be interesting if the problem didn't happen with the boat mode setting off....

EDIT: I just checked, and boat mode is/was not on, so my issue didn't have to do with having boat mode enabled.

LP

Last edited:
Uploaded and flew this morning. I had to do a Gimbal cal as it was way off. Did it twice. Also first RTH it was off by about two feet. Rebooted and launched again. This time perfect. This is a new Evo and only third flight and I was able to get better range than the one lost that Autel would not honor the warranty on. I did forget to select flight mode i think. I just launched as always. They do need a one hand start motors update of some kind.

Uploaded and flew this morning. I had to do a Gimbal cal as it was way off. Did it twice. Also first RTH it was off by about two feet. Rebooted and launched again. This time perfect. This is a new Evo and only third flight and I was able to get better range than the one lost that Autel would not honor the warranty on. I did forget to select flight mode i think. I just launched as always. They do need a one hand start motors update of some kind.

I had to do a gimbal cal as well when I first loaded it, so that sounds all consistent. Did you happen to try landing with the cam at 90 deg? Still wondering if I'm the only one with the gimbal issue.

LP

Reading some of the comments I think some users are confused on the "Boat mode" option. Its called boat mode not hand launch. It was meant to allow your EVO to go through all its steps on the deck for take off on a rocking boat. Hand launch would indeed need more options added to safely perform this maneuver with out having to twist you fingers all around to start the motors.

@Terry77
We are not affiliated with Autel in any way, we are just a community of enthusiast Autel users who like to share information to the community. So if you have found a bug\glitch you should relay your findings to Autel Support at the email or phone numbers listed in post #1
Unfortunately, Autel does not change anything if you forget to inform them of the problems you encounter.
Thank you Augustine. I did send an email to Autel. My post was poorly worded and more intended to let people here know that there may be an issue.
Reading some of the comments I think some users are confused on the "Boat mode" option. Its called boat mode not hand launch. It was meant to allow your EVO to go through all its steps on the deck for take off on a rocking boat. Hand launch would indeed need more options added to safely perform this maneuver with out having to twist you fingers all around to start the motors.
Although your comment about boat mode vs hand launch is true, the youtube videos and general understanding is that it is the solution to hand launching. Also most boat launches are from the hand because there is too much clutter on most decks or they are away off level. Autel needs to make a one stick motor start in Boat mode to make it safer.

[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure that you have a bug/glitch in the boat mode. This video was posted on Facebook and I just tested my Evo and have exactly the same problem. This makes boat mode unusable so I hope you can push an update through quickly.

I see the same problem when I invoke Boat Mode.

I see the same problem when I invoke Boat Mode.
[/QUOTE]
Have you tried disabling boat mode while hovering? I haven't done the update, so I can't test myself.

Which problem are you guys talking about - the gimbal restart or the shaking? I have not invoked boat mode yet, but I have done more testing on my gimbal restart issue. So far it's 100% reproducible. All I have to do is take off, hover for a bit, point the camera down to 90 deg, and land....and the gimbal restarts every time. It does NOT do this when the gimbal as at ANY other angle. Even with the gimbal at 60 deg, it lands normally without a gimbal reset. 90 deg is the key. Can someone else try this?

I have tried resetting the camera settings, and recalibrating the gimbal. Interestingly enough, whenever I do cal the gimbal now, while it does go faster with the new FW as noted above, I do get a momentary 'Aircraft is moving' message before the cal routine starts. That makes me wonder about the IMU. I have not messed with it yet, but I may do that at some point. Next is to simply reflash 1.4.9, but I need to charge another battery first.

LP

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I gave in and am currently doing the update. Will post results later today for gimbal shaking and tomorrow for what @LeafPeeper is experiencing.

I have to mentiom that I haven't suffered severy camera tilting (only once after last firmware update, but quickly calibrated) or failure in firmware update via OTA.
15633251608587527749637289938710.jpg

Update 1: Wasn't able to replicate the camera twitching when enabling boat mode or off. Camera didn't present any tilting and looking at the roll axis, it seems flat horizontal. Used to be a little bit tilted in the last firmware. Overall satisfied with the results. Will take Melanie flying tomorrow to see how she behaves.

Last edited:
So I did a little more testing tonight. I am now confident that this is a firmware issue - at least with certain hardware revisions. Reflashing the firmware didn't fix the problem. However:

For the gimbal reset/restart issue, again, the test is take off, drop the camera to 90 deg and land - then watch a twitch, followed by a restart. Tonight I found that:
1. For gimbal angles at 80 degrees and below, the restart does not happen.
2. For gimbal angles at 81-82 degrees, the restart is intermittent
3. For gimbal angles of 83 or higher, the restart is consistent

Now for the big news.
1. I have the boat mode gimbal jitter like others have mentioned.
2. THE GIMBAL RESET/RESTART DOES NOT HAPPEN IN BOAT MODE! I tried it 4 times, and recorded 3 of them. The gimbal didn't twitch after landing, and no restart, every time. THIS is why I am now confident it is a firmware issue, at least for some of the hardware out there.

So, for those of you with the jittery gimbal in boat mode, can you try the above test and see if your gimbal restarts like mine? Since only some people have the jittery gimbal, I'm guessing this is related to a hardware revision.

LP

Reactions: Still75 and Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vaseth