Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Another New EVO Question....

Atomic08

Reaction score
Just got and unpacked my EVO last night.
Loaded the New Explorer App Android Version 1.0.1.19 on my tablet, registered and fired everything up.
Everything connected and took static video and photos and everything look good.

I checked the firmware on the EVO and noticed that the
Firmware in the general tab are all out of date, Flight Control version is V0.0.1.93 vs the new version of V0.0.2.20 ect.
I have probably watch every Youtube video on the EVO and have not seen any help on what to do for first flight about updating BEFORE the first flights.
The CHECK for UPDATES window has not popped up yet.
I do have the EVO indoors and have a great WiFI connection.

So my question is should I update before taking it outdoors for my first flight.
or should I fly it on the old firmware to make sure it works OK.
Just a little concerned about flying for the first time on the new EVO App with old Firmware in the EVO.
I also would like to update all the batteries one time.
I have not started the EVO yet, a little concerned about trying it indoors.

One last question, any idea on how to tell when the EVO was built? Just wondering how long this thing sat on the shelf !
I Bought it from a forum vendor, not Autel.

Thanks again for any suggestions !

Yoy can fly your Evo on the old firmware. If you wish to update and don't get the prompt, you can always download the firmware from Auteldrones.com and put it on the SD card.

You cannot update all the batteries at once. You will have to go one by one. A little bit of a hassle, but doable.

From what I have gathered, there are 2 versions of the Evo. I can tell you which one is yours from photos of the camera. First model was for the first 6 months and the other for the second model. The Evo turns 1 this month, so depending on your model it's either <6 or >6 months.

I suggest you read over the warranty from Autels web site. You then can make a informed decision.

This warranty does not apply to:

1. Aircraft(s) not utilizing most current, or up to date, and publicly available firmware.

I suggest you read over the warranty from Autels web site. You then can make a informed decision.

This warranty does not apply to:

1. Aircraft(s) not utilizing most current, or up to date, and publicly available firmware.
only if he crashes. ?

Yoy can fly your Evo on the old firmware. If you wish to update and don't get the prompt, you can always download the firmware from Auteldrones.com and put it on the SD card.

You cannot update all the batteries at once. You will have to go one by one. A little bit of a hassle, but doable.

From what I have gathered, there are 2 versions of the Evo. I can tell you which one is yours from photos of the camera. First model was for the first 6 months and the other for the second model. The Evo turns 1 this month, so depending on your model it's either <6 or >6 months.
Thanks Ansia..
I have already downloaded the new firmware to a SD and and am waiting to do the update when I get home tonight.
I know that I have to update each battery one at a time, but what I meant was I wanted to do all of them once in the same session.
Again tonight.
If you can, here are some photos of the camera, so maybe youcan let me and anyone else what version of the camera I have.
For reference, my Aircraft SN is Serial # EV5918432XXX
and the Gimbal SN is Gimbal SN G5A918391xxx4460

Thanks Agustine....
I can see you must be one of the GO TO guys on this forum !
I learned a lot from the other two drone forums to the point where
I felt comfortable giving advice when I could !
Hopefully I can learn enough from you and the others to soon be able to contribute
to the new members !
Thanks Again !

Thanks Ansia..
I have already downloaded the new firmware to a SD and and am waiting to do the update when I get home tonight.
I know that I have to update each battery one at a time, but what I meant was I wanted to do all of them once in the same session.
Again tonight.
If you can, here are some photos of the camera, so maybe youcan let me and anyone else what version of the camera I have.
For reference, my Aircraft SN is Serial # EV5918432XXX
and the Gimbal SN is Gimbal SN G5A918391xxxView attachment 4460

View attachment 4461

View attachment 4462
Yours is from the earlier models. The new revision looks like this. MG_5797-copy.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Agustine....
I can see you must be one of the GO TO guys on this forum !
I learned a lot from the other two drone forums to the point where
I felt comfortable giving advice when I could !
Hopefully I can learn enough from you and the others to soon be able to contribute
to the new members !
Thanks Again !
Dont update your drone quite yet, I would see if you have the 900mhz option in your video transmission setting.

Thanks Again Ansia..
Do you think there would be a problem keeping this one?
Don't know if I can exchange it for a newer one,
I'd like to weigh my options before I update or fly this one?
Would the new firmware fix any problems?
I have Ver V0.2.0.4 and the new one is Ver V0.2.0.8

Thanks Again Ansia..
Do you think there would be a problem keeping this one?
Don't know if I can exchange it for a newer one,
I'd like to weigh my options before I update or fly this one?
Would the new firmware fix any problems?
I have Ver V0.2.0.4 and the new one is Ver V0.2.0.8
You will not find any benefits exchanging that one for the other version. They perform exacly the same. The newer revision would most likely be more fragile, since they would cut corners to save cost. The most important piece would be the battery, and it will be years before you notice any degradation.

It wasn't ment to stand out. They just changed things that wouldn't be noticeable to the performance or how the Evo behaves. In this case, the flat gimbal cover is probably thicker on the earlier models. For the new models, they made thinner plastic panels and made the corrugated to give it more strength to compensate. It may not seem like much, but when you mass produce, that material you save, means money saved. Kinda like the water bottles now a days that use 33% less plastic to "save the planet", but in reality is to save costs.

Sooo....I just got my Evo yesterday. I took advantage of a BestBuy deal, and based on the above pics, I would have said the same thing - I got an old one. However, I'm not so sure. I'm thinking Ansia might have it backwards. The Evo was launched in June of last year I believe, and I happened to come across this Capt Drone video today - posted in Aug of 2018.
Take a close look at the gimbal if you can. Here's a screen grab:

Yeah but my point is that the one Ansia said was the newer one was around prior to August of last year....

LP

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain