Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

The V1.5.8 is now officially released!

I recently got my Evo back from Autel where they replaced my camera, gimbal and both antennas. On my first flight I noticed that it would only go 4mph forward but 22mph in other direction. I also was experiencing slip where the camera was facing me but the Evo would slip or drift to the right.

To fix the 4mph problem I had to perform a controller calibration. To fix the drift, I performed a compass calibration (still need to make some more test flights). I'm bummed in that the reason for sending it in for repair is that my camera / gimbal was at times, wobbling up and down. The bummer is that now it wobbles left to right.

I was also noticed that my horizon was now tilted pretty badly after rolling but then it would correct itself to level after a few seconds. My horizon was fine before sending in for repair.

Autel is looking into the new video I sent them to figure out a solution. Another problem since I got it back is that my controller fan comes on almost immediately and is now super loud. Like the fans are making contact with a wire or something, especially if I tilt the controller backwards or forwards. In the past, I could fly 2 batteries and I still had 83% left. After calling Autel, they asked me if I had the latest app. I said yes because my apps are set to auto update. Just for grins, on my Galaxy S8+, I clicked on Settings then Apps to see what version I had and the app wasn't even listed. WTH? I went to the play store and saw that I could "Install" the app. How could that be if the app was clearly already installed on my phone? I then uninstalled my current app then installed the new one from the play store. Immediately I noticed that this was a new app. I then got promted to upgrade to 1.5.8. I performed an OTA update and everything looked good Update Successful. I then restarted my phone, controller and Evo and as many of you have already ran into, I got prompted to upgrade again. After 4 times of doing the same thing, I decided to download the update using the SD card method. I no longer get prompted to upgrade. What's really off about this new app is that it keeps defaulting to Evo II on the main screen. I click on the Drop-down and choose Evo I but it's not remembering which Evo I have. See attached image. Are any of you guys running into the same issue?

My impression was that Autel would have updated all the software while they had my bird and controller in their hands. Nevertheless, I'm really bummed that I'm still getting gimbal wobble. I saw that the update mentioned something about gimbal stability. I'm waiting for good weather tomorrow to go for another test flight. I'll be sure to perform another gimbal calibration before I take her up.

Another issue is that my micro USB to type C no longer works. Prior to sending it in I would get app connected / app disconnected warning every few seconds. I have 3 of the small micro USB to type C cables and they all do the same thing. Connecting using a type A USB to type C never has been an issue.Screenshot_20200211-122522_Autel Explorer.jpg

Last problem is the controller. I was at 100%. In just the short time while I was turning it on and off to perform the update, I'm down to 65%. It's been on the charger now for over 2 hours and still at 96% with the fan kicking on and off every 30 seconds.

I never had these issues with my controller. Hopefully they take care of me. We'll see what happens. I just wish they took care of all these issues before sending it back to me.

Sorry for the long winded story. I'll report back after I get to do another test flight tomorrow. Hopefully the update solves my gimbal issue. I doubt it will solve the controller issues.

Oh one last bummer. I went to my flight logs in the new app and after logging in, I noticed all the flight logs from previous flights are now gone.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: butch
I recently got my Evo back from Autel where they replaced my camera, gimbal and both antennas. On my first flight I noticed that it would only go 4mph forward but 22mph in other direction. I also was experiencing slip where the camera was facing me but the Evo would slip or drift to the right.

To fix the 4mph problem I had to perform a controller calibration. To fix the drift, I performed a compass calibration (still need to make some more test flights). I'm bummed in that the reason for sending it in for repair is that my camera / gimbal was at times, wobbling up and down. The bummer is that now it wobbles left to right.

I was also noticed that my horizon was now tilted pretty badly after rolling but then it would correct itself to level after a few seconds. My horizon was fine before sending in for repair.

Autel is looking into the new video I sent them to figure out a solution. Another problem since I got it back is that my controller fan comes on almost immediately and is now super loud. Like the fans are making contact with a wire or something, especially if I tilt the controller backwards or forwards. In the past, I could fly 2 batteries and I still had 83% left. After calling Autel, they asked me if I had the latest app. I said yes because my apps are set to auto update. Just for grins, on my Galaxy S8+, I clicked on Settings then Apps to see what version I had and the app wasn't even listed. WTH? I went to the play store and saw that I could "Install" the app. How could that be if the app was clearly already installed on my phone? I then uninstalled my current app then installed the new one from the play store. Immediately I noticed that this was a new app. I then got promted to upgrade to 1.5.8. I performed an OTA update and everything looked good Update Successful. I then restarted my phone, controller and Evo and as many of you have already ran into, I got prompted to upgrade again. After 4 times of doing the same thing, I decided to download the update using the SD card method. I no longer get prompted to upgrade. What's really off about this new app is that it keeps defaulting to Evo II on the main screen. I click on the Drop-down and choose Evo I but it's not remembering which Evo I have. See attached image. Are any of you guys running into the same issue?

My impression was that Autel would have updated all the software while they had my bird and controller in their hands. Nevertheless, I'm really bummed that I'm still getting gimbal wobble. I saw that the update mentioned something about gimbal stability. I'm waiting for good weather tomorrow to go for another test flight. I'll be sure to perform another gimbal calibration before I take her up.

Another issue is that my micro USB to type C no longer works. Prior to sending it in I would get app connected / app disconnected warning every few seconds. I have 3 of the small micro USB to type C cables and they all do the same thing. Connecting using a type A USB to type C never has been an issue.View attachment 6265

Last problem is the controller. I was at 100%. In just the short time while I was turning it on and off to perform the update, I'm down to 65%. It's been on the charger now for over 2 hours and still at 96% with the fan kicking on and off every 30 seconds.

I never had these issues with my controller. Hopefully they take care of me. We'll see what happens. I just wish they took care of all these issues before sending it back to me.

Sorry for the long winded story. I'll report back after I get to do another test flight tomorrow. Hopefully the update solves my gimbal issue. I doubt it will solve the controller issues.

Oh one last bummer. I went to my flight logs in the new app and after logging in, I noticed all the flight logs from previous flights are now gone.
UPDATE: I just got an email from Autel saying that they're going to replace my Evo. You know, I said it over and over again. If this was a DJI drone, I would have been ...without a paddle. In light of my issues with my Evo, Autel did what most companies lack, and that's treating others the way you'd to be treated yourself. I understand that beep happens. Perhaps on the way back my Evo got dropped, maybe something at Autel got overlooked during the repair process. Regardless, it's how you work an issue. Every single time I've had to call Autel, my experiences have been nothing short of amazing. I'm not just saying that because they're going to honor their warranty, I'm saying it because all of us should know what type of company your buying from. Autel comes through, yet again.

Reactions: butch
... with a happy ending.
My experience with Autel has also been good. I had a problem with waypoints. They walked me through troubleshooting and then repaired the drone. Bobs your uncle, all good. Besides that, I like this drone. ?

Reactions: butch and Autelguy
As long as there's no invasion of privacy introduced in the firmware like DJI I'm loving this switch to the Autel Evo.

There is certainly better solutions leaving them available in the future or when needed.

Remember that these two buttons are used to make Orbits and mark waypoints. Without them, missions are over.

Looks like the word EVO is what you click to start the download. Just above where it says current version.

Reactions: Dizzymonk
Remember that these two buttons are used to make Orbits and mark waypoints. Without them, missions are over.

I've never needed those buttons. Still unsure why Autel Robotics won't give is a disable setting because if I keep hitting them by accident, I can't be the only one.

I just can't believe it.
I have just read 4 pages and no DJI Shill posts!
We all know the Evo is top notch...that camera is amaze balls. Thanks for all the reports on the firmware upgrade.

I think my update worked.. but how the heck can I check? I'm on the app, in the firmware tab.. and nothing about 1.5.8? Help please?

Recently, I’ve not seen any flight records saved on the Autel Explorer app. I’ve updated all firmware to the most recent 1.58 version. My phone is updated to iOS 13.3.1. Today, I flew through 3 full batteries and nothing was recorded in my records. I always flight with remote connected to phone and explorer. Is there something I’m missing?
Since last week, none of my flights are being recorded, I was checking a flight path today and caught the loss of records.

F2AA9EE1-3A0F-4E6B-9746-B61C356D1306.png1BB6A508-0D47-4661-9DC0-788D45248189.png9A62269D-1376-445D-9EC9-491A9F1B40CA.jpeg

Recently, I’ve not seen any flight records saved on the Autel Explorer app. I’ve updated all firmware to the most recent 1.58 version. My phone is updated to iOS 13.3.1. Today, I flew through 3 full batteries and nothing was recorded in my records. I always flight with remote connected to phone and explorer. Is there something I’m missing?

Three more flight since the reinstall and no data is getting posted.

Since last week, none of my flights are being recorded, I was checking a flight path today and caught the loss of records.

View attachment 6486View attachment 6487View attachment 6488
I’ve since reinstalled the app, 52ft of a 17minute all over the neighborhood (normally 2-3 miles) of flight was recorded. Any thoughts on how to get flight records to show? I’m a responsible pilot and do not let my bird get out of sight, but if there was a problem returning home and there’s an emergency landing, I’ve nothing to help locate it.

Search the forum. I recently saw a note about loading flight records to the cloud before updating the app so you don't loose those records.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy