Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FIRMWARE V1.4.9 is now officially released!

Not exactly sure if you're joking or not.

Here's my interpretation of what boat mode is doing. Given that the IMU recalibrates every time you boot the Evo - unlike DJI or the XStar - it would make sense that the Evo has to remain still at boot up in order for it to calibrate. It wouldn't be still on a boat - which is why launching from a boat or from your hand wasn't possible before. Autel has stated to me that boat mode increases the IMU tolerance on boot up. If this is indeed what they did, there wouldn't be any app detection, just an on/off switch, and you could theoretically test the functionality by hand launching.

That said, the gimbal restart happens with boat mode OFF. I would like to say it has nothing to do with boat mode, but since it was introduced at the same time as boat mode and the new gimbal control code, I'm not convinced that they aren't related.

LP
LOL! Sarcasm... sarcasm... LOL!

Reactions: LeafPeeper
The V1.4.9 is now officially released! Comparing to the current official version V1.3.46, this release contains the following main changes:

1. Added Boat Mode*

2. Optimized gimbal control algorithm
3. Bug fixes
*The latest version of Explorer app is required to use this feature
Explorer app users will receive the OTA firmware update notification on the app home page after 60 seconds the aircraft, RC and mobile device are connected. (Internet connection on your mobile device is required)
For additional help and technical support, give us a call at 1-844-MY-AUTEL (692-8835), email us at [email protected], or chat w

I beta tested this version. Will I be prompted to update or is the beta version exactly the same as the released version?

I loaded the beta version one day before release of the final, and the final looks like the same version to me.

LP

If there was any revision from the beta to the final release they would have made a note about it. No way would they tell you to keep running the beta if things changed.

Good news and bad news....at least for me. First the good news. The gimbal cal and new algorithm seems to have done even a better job with the horizon. I just flew two batteries and it was dead level for me both times. Really happy about that. The bad news is that the gimbal seems to be resetting/restarting occasionally. After one flight it reset/restarted it self immediately after landing while I was trying to adjust it using the app. On another flight while testing RTH, it landed and I could no longer move the gimbal with the wheel or the app - only a reboot fixed it. On yet a third flight, again the gimbal reset/restarted itself after landing. Anybody else notice any odd gimbal behavior? I'd like to think it's the new firmware rather than a hardware issue given they did mess with the algorithm.

LP

Never had an issue with the horizon before, was it off every flight ?

Never had an issue with the horizon before, was it off every flight ?

The tilted horizon was a pretty widely recognized problem when the Evo was announced. Autel has been working to fix it for the last year. By the time I bought mine, it was MUCH better. It was straight most of the time, but still had occasional issues. It seems even better with this release.

LP

The tilted horizon was a pretty widely recognized problem when the Evo was announced. Autel has been working to fix it for the last year. By the time I bought mine, it was MUCH better. It was straight most of the time, but still had occasional issues. It seems even better with this release.

LP

Ah I see, I haven't noticed the issue at all, maybe I need to double check but glad they are addressing it.

Reactions: LeafPeeper
I think I'd be more afraid of hand CATCHING than hand launching!

LP
Up the challenge, and catch it with your teeth.
:)
That said, I hand catch this and my spark all the time, even if I have a landing pad down if there is lots of "debris" around. But for now, it's just Sparkie for me since my Evo is on the slow truck across the country to hopefully get fixed. :(

I hand catch my Spark too. I have a set of skid landing gear on the bottom that makes it nice and easy.

LP

So is the overall thought to avoid performing this update???

I wouldn't say that. Frankly I think it's pretty stable overall, at least for me. I do think the horizon has improved further, and the gimbal cal seems much quicker. Plus you now have boat mode and mission planning. The jiggly cam in boat mode goes away once you take off and the bird flies normally. My only real issue is that the gimbal resets when I land with it facing down - but as I and others have noted, I wouldn't call that serious.

The only other thing that might be worth checking (because I haven't) is the obstacle avoidance switch. I just saw a post on Facebook where someone claimed that turning off obstacle avoidance doesn't really turn it off anymore. Might be a fluke... who knows.

I still think the update is worthwhile. My opinion anyway.
LP

So is the overall thought to avoid performing this update???
I think the update is good overall. I'm leaning towards something was weird with my drone to begin with.
My friend reminded me the zoom was not working and it gave a bunch of errors when we were at his construction site. But I switched batteries, then it seemed fine. But now I get the errors about 3/4 of the time.
As for the gimbal "restart" after landing when pointing down 90 degrees...
1. "Meh" Other than weird, it's not really "causing" any issues.
2. If it bothers you, just as you land the last 2' or so, toss the gimbal back up to 0 degrees.
(until it's patched or they say that is the goal)

@LeafPeeper Where'd you see the turning off obstacle avoidance post? That's similar to my drones issues. When it was being buggy, I couldn't change flight modes, ludicrous, precision, standard, etc... EVENTUALLY, sometimes it would make the changes after the fact. USUALLY I got a paramater config failed error. I saw that once, but could test quicker with trying to zoom, so tested with that. (Aka, could test without even taking off sitting at my desk)

I just really hope my drone makes it back and forth across the country quick, since i'm supposed to go to beach in August and be on boats a bunch. :(

Did the update via OTA. Also have the jittery camera in boat mode, not in normal camera mode. Haven't tried descending with the camera pointed 90 degrees down, will check it out over the weekend. I noticed something strange after the update... I tried launching from my hand, which works. However when trying to track an object, my Evo's yaw turning does not work, have to exit track mode, go into camera mode and then only does the bird turn left/right. Not sure if this is normal, also not sure if this happened before the update.. Will check whether it happens when I take off normally - not with boat mode. Also, after taking off in boat mode, my gimbal/picture was quite crooked for few seconds, and then auto corrected. Never had these issues before. Hopefully another 'solid' update is on the way soon.

Did the update via OTA. Also have the jittery camera in boat mode, not in normal camera mode. Haven't tried descending with the camera pointed 90 degrees down, will check it out over the weekend. I noticed something strange after the update... I tried launching from my hand, which works. However when trying to track an object, my Evo's yaw turning does not work, have to exit track mode, go into camera mode and then only does the bird turn left/right. Not sure if this is normal, also not sure if this happened before the update.. Will check whether it happens when I take off normally - not with boat mode. Also, after taking off in boat mode, my gimbal/picture was quite crooked for few seconds, and then auto corrected. Never had these issues before. Hopefully another 'solid' update is on the way soon.
That is normal. If your Evo is focused on an object, the yaw will not work, since it would lose the object. If you roll left or right, you will notice that the drone will turn on it's yaw to keep focused on it's target.

Reactions: hscrugby
That is normal. If your Evo is focused on an object, the yaw will not work, since it would lose the object. If you roll left or right, you will notice that the drone will turn on it's yaw to keep focused on it's target.
Thanks for clarifying :) will test it again over the weekend. I tried to position the evo with yaw before drawing the rectangle over my subject, but could be that I already chose my object. Will give it another try. Thanks again Ansia

Reactions: Ansia
I flew over a mile today, testing the new firmware and I can see the tilted horizon again... Firmware didn't fix anything at all.

• Sad
Reactions: Ansia
I flew over a mile today, testing the new firmware and I can see the tilted horizon again... Firmware didn't fix anything at all.

Only one flight? Assuming you've recalibrated the gimbal, I've found that if the horizon is tilted when I power up and take off, it will stay tilted. If that happens, I land, reboot and it often readjusts to straight and then it stays straight. I'm convinced they've improved things, but it's still not perfect.

LP

Reactions: WayneH and macoman

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles