Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Firmware Update: NANO/NANO+ 1.2.14

There seems to be a bug with Apple where you can't enable HDR or Log until you are flying. On Android it works on the ground. Tested this at the South Florida Drone Meetup this last Saturday.
my HDR is greyed out too. does not matter if I fly or not. it says that it won't work in pro mode (which is not incorporated in "shoot").

Reactions: Townie
Hi Blade Strike. My replacement nano is refusing to launch, unpredictably. Last one never had this issue. Any logs I can check (competent programmer here).
What is the status message? App logs would be the only thing to check but with something like this it would repeats the status messages.

What is the status message? App logs would be the only thing to check but with something like this it would repeats the status messages.
Status says ready to fly, but it wont launch.
I find logs on the android phone but don't know the message format to parse them.
It'd be pretty nice to get that log format. I might be able to Reverse-Engineer some of it but i'm not an android guy. I have made some progress reversing the sky app today.

You can run them through airdata and get a read out or play them back through the viewer.

Are you trying to take off in too tight of a space? Or are you getting a gimbal not ready message?

Try a cold imu calibration and see if that fixes the issue, if it’s not a tight of a space take off location.

Status says ready to fly, but it wont launch.
I find logs on the android phone but don't know the message format to parse them.
It'd be pretty nice to get that log format. I might be able to Reverse-Engineer some of it but i'm not an android guy. I have made some progress reversing the sky app today.
Yeah props spin up 15 seconds. 99% of the time i can't launch. Tried attitude mode. IMU and compass recalib. Two different phones.

You can run them through airdata and get a read out or play them back through the viewer.

Are you trying to take off in too tight of a space? Or are you getting a gimbal not ready message?

Try a cold imu calibration and see if that fixes the issue, if it’s not a tight of a space take off location.A
Well my first Nano+ took off just fine in my washroom. I can fly. I have flown RC since 1974.
I tested on a field (with some wavy grass in front of the nano). And in washroom, and on driveway. In all cases there was there some object pinging radar. I shut off radar, obstacle avoidance. I'll send you an email. Thanks much.

Well my first Nano+ took off just fine in my washroom. I can fly. I have flown RC since 1974.
I tested on a field (with some wavy grass in front of the nano). And in washroom, and on driveway. In all cases there was there some object pinging radar. I shut off radar, obstacle avoidance. I'll send you an email. Thanks much.
So it sounds like you are having issues because it’s OA, sorry there is no way around this.

What's OA?
I could fly my old Evo and prior Nano+ around indoors, and on the same field without issues.
[EDIT] The props spin exactly 15 seconds before shutting down. No error messages, just ready to fly and green, in the Sky App.

What's OA?
I could fly my old Evo and prior Nano+ around indoors, and on the same field without issues.
[EDIT] The props spin exactly 15 seconds before shutting down. No error messages, just ready to fly and green, in the Sky App.
Object avoidance

If the firmware flash doesn’t fix it you will have to contact support.

I will have to send it back before RMA time expires.
Let me expound a bit on how awesome my last Nano + was (with previous firmware?)
It flew like a charm - yeah gusts bounced it a bout a bit more than the Evo, but it handled them like a champ for having 1/3rd the weight.
Takeoff, response, was predictable, reliable. I could fly where i wanted. Through doors. Through trees. I could control it.
Cut to one evening with a takeoff spot under an overhang. The device refused to let me land it, because there was an obstacle. The low battery condition robbed me of control of my flying camera, and I lost it. I think it's somewhere in a tree.
Cut to replacement Nano+.
It won't even take off. On a mostly flat field.
Cause there's some grass in front and behind it?
DIsabling obstacle avoidance is no help.
Setting attitude mode (no assist) is no help. It partout refuse to fly. -- 99.9% of the time.
For some reason, once in a hundred starts, it flies. Today i managed to get it off the ground again.
I flew around an open field, at about 30 meters height. Then it stopped accepting my input. No forward. No back. Only up/down and yaw.
I toggled to 'ludicrous mode' and holding forward, i could very slowly accelerate it to 3 meters per second.

I managed to land.

A flying camera that countermands pilot commands is useless. I'm buying another one just to confirm it's this new god forsaken firmware, and not some hardware problem.

Sounds like it’s more of a hardware problem than firmware.

If you have tried a all the calibrations and still doesn’t want to fly, then I would say return it for another unit.

Reactions: lifeisfun
The firmware flashing visibly applied to controller (alternating left right green LED blinking), then to battery (individual green LEDs blinking).
Then Nano+ green light went Green solid for a few seconds. As I reached down to shut it off it began rapid blinking green again.
Then it went through a brief phase of blinking yellow, then back to blinking green. Now i have had a full minute of solid green and will power down.
Warning to others, therefore, mine was not finished at the point where it went solid green for a few seconds.
[EDIT] after new firmware, unit took off with no hesitation or trouble in my washroom (attitude mode). Field tests commencing soon.
THANK YOU DOCTOR BLADE STRIKE

Last edited:
Reactions: Blade Strike
The firmware flashing visibly applied to controller (alternating left right green LED blinking), then to battery (individual green LEDs blinking).
Then Nano+ green light went Green solid for a few seconds. As I reached down to shut it off it began rapid blinking green again.
Then it went through a brief phase of blinking yellow, then back to blinking green. Now i have had a full minute of solid green and will power down.
Warning to others, therefore, mine was not finished at the point where it went solid green for a few seconds.
[EDIT] after new firmware, unit took off with no hesitation or trouble in my washroom (attitude mode). Field tests commencing soon.
THANK YOU DOCTOR BLADE STRIKE
Yes, please always wait a minute or two after solid green. I was under the weather yesterday so forgot that little portion.

Glad it’s working as it should!

Reactions: trontar
So upgraded app this morning. Proceeded to install firmware 1.2.14. Firmware failed somewhere over 60% completion. I was prompted to restart everything to try again. Now it’s not offering the firmware. Instead, if you look in the application at the about tab; it shows the firmware updated. But it’s in RED. All the individual categories are in standard black. I have the options for log and HDR, but it won’t let me click on them. Anyone else having any “issues”?
Exactly the same happened with me. But I got a little extra thrown in as a freebie. When I booted my Nano+ up the day after the update: the whole "about" tab was totally blank. No firmware details at all. Panicked a bit... re-booted... and this time all the critical firmware showed red. Decided not to fly. Got all the way back home (I was on-site for a job) and when I set up on my workbench and booted it up again to try and sort this mess out: everything showed up and this time in black. WOW! buggy firmware or what? Oh... and as far as the LOG and HDR: you're not on your own. Listed? yes. could I engage either? No.

Please... please... PLEASE Autel. Get your **** together. Get every function you promised in your marketing blurb shoehorned into the Nano+ and get it in there with the next firmware update. Get a screen-tap autofocus sub-routine shoehorned into the flight app and for crying out loud, get that spankingly good camera polished to the "PRO" level it is more than capable of supporting.

Last but not least - sort out the horror-show that anyone who TRIES to shoot like a pro faces with the DNG files... namely over-exposure of the centre of the image fading to a green-tinged under-exposure towards the outer edges of the frame (some people call it 'vignetting', but I really think it is an exposure metering and colour-cast problem). Huawei sorted this problem out within months of releasing their P30 range of camera phones and these smartphones have EXACTLY the same sensor as the Nano+.

Autel only has to take a few more steps to give this brilliant little drone the specs it is capable of flying with. DJI is chucking one firmware update after another in QUICK succession at their Mini3 Pro and its camera still falls flat on its face in comparison to the footage the Nano+ grabs as default.

Exactly the same happened with me. But I got a little extra thrown in as a freebie. When I booted my Nano+ up the day after the update: the whole "about" tab was totally blank. No firmware details at all. Panicked a bit... re-booted... and this time all the critical firmware showed red. Decided not to fly. Got all the way back home (I was on-site for a job) and when I set up on my workbench and booted it up again to try and sort this mess out: everything showed up and this time in black. WOW! buggy firmware or what? Oh... and as far as the LOG and HDR: you're not on your own. Listed? yes. could I engage either? No.

Please... please... PLEASE Autel. Get your **** together. Get every function you promised in your marketing blurb shoehorned into the Nano+ and get it in there with the next firmware update. Get a screen-tap autofocus sub-routine shoehorned into the flight app and for crying out loud, get that spankingly good camera polished to the "PRO" level it is more than capable of supporting.

Last but not least - sort out the horror-show that anyone who TRIES to shoot like a pro faces with the DNG files... namely over-exposure of the centre of the image fading to a green-tinged under-exposure towards the outer edges of the frame (some people call it 'vignetting', but I really think it is an exposure metering and colour-cast problem). Huawei sorted this problem out within months of releasing their P30 range of camera phones and these smartphones have EXACTLY the same sensor as the Nano+.

Autel only has to take a few more steps to give this brilliant little drone the specs it is capable of flying with. DJI is chucking one firmware update after another in QUICK succession at their Mini3 Pro and its camera still falls flat on its face in comparison to the footage the Nano+ grabs as default.
It looks like there is a hardware problem. Lock up subjects is a mess in any mode . it won't be able to enable all the promised features

Get every function you promised in your marketing blurb shoehorned into the Nano+ and get it in there with the next firmware update.
I'm still inclined to think the dynamic tracking is very complicated and really needs an Evo II level array of sensors, along with a more powerful NPU to reliably avoid crashings.
Applying to the .raw pictures the same color/geometry correction offered with .jpg snapshots seems so simple, I can't think of a reason for it not being there. It should be little more an added function call to existing code. I do notice a LUT table available on the Autel site though.
Also, not to be cheeky, but the .jpgs look pretty darn good to me already. There's really nothing I personally miss in the Nano+ itself - it stomps all over my Evo 1, for ability to get smoothly panned video.
Now if someone could get us info on the file format of those log files the sky app stores, I could really use that.

Hi, does anyone still have old firmware zips? I am currently on holiday in Taiwan, and I made the mistake to install the mandatory "security database update" this morning. Before the update I could fly everywhere and also (slightly) higher than the altitude restrictions. For example on elephant mountain next to Taipei, I walked a bit downhill to a more quiet spot to avoid annoying other tourist. To compensate the difference in the starting position, I wanted to fly slightly higher (80m instead of the allowed 60m). Before the update this was possible with my nano, now it isn't and I could not override it. I was hoping by going to a very early firmware release to be able to damage/delete the security database. Just to clarify, I would consider my self as a responsible drone pilot and this is not about breaking the law. Just being able to select starting positions more freely.

Bump, has this been fixed yet? Is it time to park the mini 3 pro and dust off the nano+ yet or has it been abandoned completely?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SycamoreGroves