Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flickering footage and color changes unusable

CREVO2PRO

Reaction score
Hello from PA today I flew my Evo 2 pro 6K when I returned home I discovered that most of my footage was unusable due to flickering and in some cases color changes. The drone was set FPS 30 at 160th shutter priority it was approximately 33°, no battery warnings all areas under flight status were good fly safe. During the first flight I noticed an immediate flicker in the video feed on my phone this had never happened before and I didn't think much of it until I returned home to realize that most of my footage was trashed it was most noticeable during the first takeoff and first battery but there were no warnings on the drone at all and it flew perfectly. This had never happened before. I would think that the Evo 2 pro would have no issues flying in 33° temperatures especially with that a battery warning my last flight was months ago and everything was perfect this was the coldest flight since then does anyone have any insight as to what might be happening. This was truly upsetting for this caliber of drone the micro SD card appears to be good. Thank you

Hello there, oddly enough, my flickering problem just returned and I stopped by the forum and lo and behold there's a fresh post from you experiencing the same problem. Here is my original post and what I did to fix it (obviously not permanently):

For me, the flickering returned about three weeks ago at which point I reseated the cable again - which again - seemed to fix the problem, but this time the flickering returned after just a few flights. I've started searching Autel (with little luck so far) for repair options from their service (?) department. With all the thought I've given this, I had actually not considered your point. So I did some research. These past two incidents, the temperature was around freezing. However, my first incident (27 December 2020}, I looked up the hour-by-hour data that day and the temperature was 49F here in Charlotte. So in my mind, that rules out the cold weather theory. But even if that turned out to be the issue, it wouldn't have made me feel much better as there is no reason for the drone (video) to be unusable with temperatures below 40.

I'm beginning to wonder if replacing the camera would fix this, or is this the result of some internal loose connection. It's a big risk to buy another camera only to find out that didn't fix it and I can't return it.

Yes! This time I did not forget the contact cleaner and was certain that would help which did for a while. I have contacted customer support, I will post updates on what if any options they offer.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
Hello I've had my Evo 2 pro for around six months to be in this situation is unfortunate. The first thing I did was contact customer support I put in a ticket on Sunday and called about the situation I provided footage of the flickering and color changes. I've yet to hear anything back after my ticket phone call. Today I called back to find out the customer service line has been closed due to a large volume of support calls. It is closed until Monday of next week. As soon as I have a chance I'm going to take the Imy Evo 2 pro out for another flight to test the footage see what happens. Do you feel that this is a problem with the camera cable coming loose or firmware or something worse the drone worked perfectly until my flight on Sunday. Does anyone have a video on how to remove the camera and reseat the cable.

Here are two good ones:

As with any ribbon cable, it is terminated with a gajillion pins. If any one of those pins is bent, or otherwise not making a perfect contact with the female receptor, I believe the vibration of the aircraft is causing the flickering. That's why I'm hesitant to spend $900 on a new camera because I don't think that is the source of the problem. However, B&H has a good return policy, so if my inquiry to Autel about this turns up nothing, I might pull the trigger and try it. Whatever happens next, I will report back...

Hello from PA today I flew my Evo 2 pro 6K when I returned home I discovered that most of my footage was unusable due to flickering and in some cases color changes. The drone was set FPS 30 at 160th shutter priority it was approximately 33°, no battery warnings all areas under flight status were good fly safe. During the first flight I noticed an immediate flicker in the video feed on my phone this had never happened before and I didn't think much of it until I returned home to realize that most of my footage was trashed it was most noticeable during the first takeoff and first battery but there were no warnings on the drone at all and it flew perfectly. This had never happened before. I would think that the Evo 2 pro would have no issues flying in 33° temperatures especially with that a battery warning my last flight was months ago and everything was perfect this was the coldest flight since then does anyone have any insight as to what might be happening. This was truly upsetting for this caliber of drone the micro SD card appears to be good. Thank you
I don't have an answer for the flickering but for the color changes- what setting did you have WB? If AWB, this will certainly cause shifting in color even if the source lighting doesn't change.

Fps 30 1/60 shutter priority I believe set to awb but I have never seen color shifts blink gradually change yes.

Hi guys..
Thanks bringing this up!!!
I've had this issue since I bought the drone last April.
I've been in contact with Amazon Autel Store where I bought it and they said they would replace the drone if the issue is not fixed. Since then no reply to 3 e-mails to them.
After that I gave up and tried to get to Autel directly to try to solve the issue.
So in the last 8 months of dealing with them about the issue, I found that they are completely useless.
The said that the issue will be solved in the next firmware update, and 2 updates later, the issue is still there.
So I gave up on them too.
Finally I see some common sense here and hopefully we can solve the issue.
My thoughts are that is a hardware issue.
When I turn on the drone I always get a gimbal issue and do not fly, and when I have that warning the flickering always happens.
When i rarely don't get that warning, it seems to be fine.
Also it looks like when i fly a bit more aggressive the flickering happens.
So there must be some connection issue,
I am no expert in this but I will try to remove the camera and connect the cable again like some of you are saying.
Do you have any videos on how to do that?
This is a really frustrating issue from day one that I bought this drone after 5 years of DJI.
It's a drone with a lot of potential but the incompetence of the technical support, and Autel in general will probably send me back to DJI after this.
Anyway let 's hope we can solve this here.

Hello sorry to hear you are having the same issue. I'm still waiting for Autel to get back to me from last week's calls and email to tech support. Sounds like tech support is over their head with the new additions to their product line that's why I think that their call in support has close until Monday. Time to hire more tech support reps...... I sent them the unusable footage as they requested no reply. Everything is we will solve in the next firmware update they should at least put some communication together to send out to us in the meantime that's what a responsible company would do. We paid big bucks for the Evo the least they can do is make sure we are taken care of. I'm going to take her up again today at the same location to see if the miserable flicker comes back.

Hi,
I've sent them the footage months ago, and they told me that it will be fixed with new firmware update...
There have been 2 updates...I think July and December, and nothing.
So don't expect much from Autel. They have no clue.
Also , from eliminating issues in the 10 months since I;ve had the drone, I would say it's hardware.

Hi guys..
Thanks bringing this up!!!
I've had this issue since I bought the drone last April.
I've been in contact with Amazon Autel Store where I bought it and they said they would replace the drone if the issue is not fixed. Since then no reply to 3 e-mails to them.
After that I gave up and tried to get to Autel directly to try to solve the issue.
So in the last 8 months of dealing with them about the issue, I found that they are completely useless.
The said that the issue will be solved in the next firmware update, and 2 updates later, the issue is still there.
So I gave up on them too.
Finally I see some common sense here and hopefully we can solve the issue.
My thoughts are that is a hardware issue.
When I turn on the drone I always get a gimbal issue and do not fly, and when I have that warning the flickering always happens.
When i rarely don't get that warning, it seems to be fine.
Also it looks like when i fly a bit more aggressive the flickering happens.
So there must be some connection issue,
I am no expert in this but I will try to remove the camera and connect the cable again like some of you are saying.
Do you have any videos on how to do that?
This is a really frustrating issue from day one that I bought this drone after 5 years of DJI.
It's a drone with a lot of potential but the incompetence of the technical support, and Autel in general will probably send me back to DJI after this.
Anyway let 's hope we can solve this here.
Yes, scroll up... I posted two good how-to videos on replacing the camera (which shows how to remove and reseat the ribbon cable).

Ok so now I'm really going to muddy the water.

So I just shot a lakefront real estate parcel last week. I came home with 41 clips from from five flights. I renamed the files when I got home and grouped each of the five flights into Blocks A - E. In this outing, For the "D" block of my flights/recordings, I slapped on one of my Freewell ND filters to reduce the reflections coming from the water, here is the description from their web site on the exact one I chose:

ND16/PL filter compatible with Autel Evo II 6K Drone

The ND16/PL hybrid filter from Freewell Gear is meant to reduce the amount of light hitting the camera sensor by 4 f-stops. This helps to capture well-balanced and cinematic images in very bright sunlight conditions, especially in the afternoon and early morning. The filter also provides protection from unwanted reflections of windows or water bodies.

I don't think this matters, but I forgot to align the white lines on the filter which is supposed to give you the best polarization. There's a good, short video on that on their site:

Anyway, this D block group was awful in terms of flickering. And the fact that blocks A - C and the E block were all rock solid, it raised my suspicions that somehow this filter/polarizer was the culprit, NOT the drone's hardware or software. I can't prove this, more trials are necessary, but by process of elimination, this (ruined) group of clips was the only group to be using this filter. My theories include the shimmering light/shadows cast by the props even though I had shot both toward and away from the sun. I don't recall what my shutter speed was which is too bad as that would have been good info to file away.

Meanwhile, I haven't heard back from Autel...

OK,
From my end..
I went to a guy, computer expert, showed him one of the videos, and he cleaned the ribbon cable like a pro. He looked like he knew what he was doing.
Flew the drone again, and the flickering is still there.
I will try this new thing that you said about ND filter. I had one yesterday when I flew the drone.
About this not hearing back from Autel, it's not so much about money..I've waisted money before, and will probably do that again, but it's about how they don't care that more of us have the same issue and they don't do anything to try to fix it.
Really really disappointing..
Will probably shift back to DJI because of their horrible service

Reactions: tvwxman
Guys, did you try to set manual white balance?
In my case it solved the problem (seems to be)...

Please check and let me know if it helps.

Guys, did you try to set manual white balance?
In my case it solved the problem (seems to be)...

Please check and let me know if it helps.
Yes, I only use manual exposure and WB..
anyway for 1800 bucks I would expect it to work properly in auto or manual, or at least to have some help if it doesn't work.. right?

Reactions: atortaloha
Ok, at least this helps..
It's not the right solution but it will help if you don't want to throw away your footage because of the flickering.

I tried it, and it's pretty decent. The videos are not useless like with the flickering.

For the WB issue, it's not there when you use manual WB, so that is easily fixed.

Anyway, if anyone hears something smart from Autel let me know

Reactions: Bstrong

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain