Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Crashed on day 2 of ownership

skyscraper

Reaction score
The Nano+ is the first drone I've ever owned. That being said, I grew up racing r/c cars and flying r/c helicopters, so I'm somewhat familiar with the hobby. I spent a decent amount of time deciding which drone was best for me and ultimately landed on the Nano+... no geofencing, great camera, sub-250g.

I never allowed Autel to have access to my location, because I didn't feel like I needed the "return to home" feature. I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that the app even warned me that not allowing GPS to be enabled would prevent the drone from flying home, but maybe I'm mistaken.

On my first day, it was really windy and I had read that this thing didn't do great in the wind, so I only flew it for 2-3 minutes and not very high. To my surprise, it held up great in the wind for what the r/c helicopters I flew handled.

The next day, it was less windy and it was time to test this bad boy out. I was very pleased with it's performance and had it landed back to me at 27% battery life. Return to home kicks in at 25% by default. I took the drone inside to play around with it in my living room. The battery drained to 25% and the drone enabled return to home, so it attempted to fly up to 100 feet or whatever the default setting is. The drone hit my ceiling and then lost functionality and crashed into my wall. It's now in pieces. Tough lesson to learn on my second flight.

Off to Autel for repairs it goes. Any new flyers, be aware of this function and don't end up like me.

Last edited:
Reactions: waltermitty
Sorry for your loss.
That is one of the dangers of flying inside. Instead of ignoring the warning, you should have landed immediately (of course you know that now)

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo