Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

RID

• Thread starter Deleted member 9417
  • Start date
i don't know about everyone else but here's how i understand it:

"New drones introduced to the market after September 2022 that are designed to comply with Remote ID must include the FAA’s approved Remote ID technology, and DJI of course plans for models released after that time to have Remote ID built in."

The Autel Evo2 drone variants were introduced to the market before September 2022 more precisely in 2021 and 2022. Therefore the above statement does not apply to any Evo2 variant. Nowhere does it say anywhere in the law about prohibiting drone sales or pulling drones from the market or grounding drones in September 2022 which do not fall under this designation. From what I can tell, you cannot launch a drone after September 2022 unless it is RID compliant. Does this mean FCC? This will effectively start the clock to decrease the enormous flow of non-RID complaint drones that are flooding the market over the next 5 months.

"All drones that are flown outdoors, unless exempt, must perform Remote ID by one year later, in September 2023...."

This is the date in which all non-compliant drones (without an exemption) will be tagged as ineligible to fly without restrictions. This includes the Evo 2 as well as all other drones flying today. At that time, no manufacturer should be selling new model non-complaint drones to the public since one year ago but old model non-compliant drones may still be sold. Non-compliant drones must seek an exemption or an external solution else face restrictions.

As we all know, full compliance is unattainable, enforcement is impossible, and for sure the flying public simply will likely not comply. There is a huge market for used (non-compliant) drones and we will have no choice but to offer sweeping exemptions if this external solution is not achieved.

Otherwise, this becomes a huge legal issue and we can let the courts decide. <---- the method I would prefer.
It seems to me that the Explorer app could be modified to simply broadcast the information that it is receiving from the Drone. It is running on a cell phone that can broadcast wifi or bluetooth. If the app cant be modified then it may be possible a separate app could be created that captures the data while flying and does the broadcasting. All of the info that is required by the FAA can be seen on the Explorer app.

Look at the FAA Final Rule. Built-in Remote ID is required of all new manufacturer offerings after Sept 16, 2022. By definition, Built In RID is not able to be switched off or circumvented by end-user. An optional, reversible firmware or software update doesn't seem to fall within the regs

Look for just about everybody flying recreationally, or Part 107 in a private business, who anticipates buying a new drone (or fleet) anytime within the next 13 months to be buying them from existing stock within the next 6 weeks. RID is going to be a tough sell outside of public agencies if a sub-$100 tack-on module will bring you into compliance in Sept 2023. There will be some smoking hot deals in August and the first two weeks of September 2022

I think that the RID will be virtually unenforceable. If the PIC does NOT have the device, how will the FAA or law enforcement locate them?
How enthusiastic will law enforcement be about driving around searching for rogue operators? Someone intent on enforcing the reg will 1-Have to actually SEE someone flying, then 2-deter mine that the PIC does not have an RID, then 3-be working under a local ordinance prohibiting flying a non-compliant drone, and finally, 4-what will be the penalty? A local fine? An FAA fine? How much will the fine be? Jail time? If the PIC has a 107, I suppose it could be revoked. If my drone is not upgradable at a very low cost, I won't be doing it. I will just quit flying and sell mine for parts. But that's just me.

Before I bought a newer Autel, I wanted this question answered. Why spend all the money if it's useless? I found much of what was already written here to be valuable, but I this didn't fully answer my question. While I was looking at their website, I came across this statement about the latest firmware update:

V1.6.5 Release Notes​

The EVO Nano series firmware package V1.6.5 (Released on Oct 10, 2022) contains the following components update:

New Features

• Added Dynamic Track on EVO Nano Series. (Please shoot in an environment with wide view)
  • Added Remote ID functionality for Japan Region. (Required by Japan UAV Regulations)

I know lots of people who are vastly more tech savvy than me, but the fact that they can address Japanese remote ID seems to suggest that they can also update firmware to comply with the FAA rules. My question still isn't answered as this isn't proof that they'll be compliant, but it's moved the needle that way in my mind.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
Before I bought a newer Autel, I wanted this question answered. Why spend all the money if it's useless? I found much of what was already written here to be valuable, but I this didn't fully answer my question. While I was looking at their website, I came across this statement about the latest firmware update:

V1.6.5 Release Notes​

The EVO Nano series firmware package V1.6.5 (Released on Oct 10, 2022) contains the following components update:

New Features

• Added Dynamic Track on EVO Nano Series. (Please shoot in an environment with wide view)
  • Added Remote ID functionality for Japan Region. (Required by Japan UAV Regulations)

I know lots of people who are vastly more tech savvy than me, but the fact that they can address Japanese remote ID seems to suggest that they can also update firmware to comply with the FAA rules. My question still isn't answered as this isn't proof that they'll be compliant, but it's moved the needle that way in my mind.
Here is the latest as of 2-7-2023
IMG_3803.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: EBERLS
i think we're going to end up getting a module that we can affix to several of our drone models left stranded; i guess that's not the worst thing in the world.
Autel should make them or buy them in bulk and distribute them at cost (or preferably free) to current owners. It might soften my determination to never again buy one of their products nor encourage others to do so.

Autel should make them or buy them in bulk and distribute them at cost (or preferably free) to current owners. It might soften my determination to never again buy one of their products nor encourage others to do so.
sure, would be nice to have a small portable orange rid module which you can slot onto the side of the drone. i would imagine with today's tech, the battery would last a couple of months between recharges.

This is my first post on the forum after lurking for a while. In my search for the best drone for my needs, I had pretty much settled on an Autel EVO V3 due to the fact that it is not geofenced. There is always the possibility that I could be flying INDOORS in a shipping/container warehouse in a restricted zone (the port here is directly adjacent to the local airport and container warehouses exist right up to the airport property). The biggest concern now is the RID issue on the Autel products. I have reached out to Autel with no response. Tanasit's above post is good news, I guess. But what does "remote ID support" actually mean or entail? Will the drone really be broadcasting the RID required by the FAA or will something else need to be added in conjunction with the "support" to make the broadcast? Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I will be purchasing equipment in the next few weeks and I'm wracking my brain on what drone to buy. I really don't want to buy a DJI product (due to geofencing).

This is my first post on the forum after lurking for a while. In my search for the best drone for my needs, I had pretty much settled on an Autel EVO V3 due to the fact that it is not geofenced. There is always the possibility that I could be flying INDOORS in a shipping/container warehouse in a restricted zone (the port here is directly adjacent to the local airport and container warehouses exist right up to the airport property). The biggest concern now is the RID issue on the Autel products. I have reached out to Autel with no response. Tanasit's above post is good news, I guess. But what does "remote ID support" actually mean or entail? Will the drone really be broadcasting the RID required by the FAA or will something else need to be added in conjunction with the "support" to make the broadcast? Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I will be purchasing equipment in the next few weeks and I'm wracking my brain on what drone to buy. I really don't want to buy a DJI product (due to geofencing).
there nothing more you need to do. if you fly recreationally and your drone is registered and the series number of our evo 2 drone is within the range below (as of today), there's not more for the pilot to worry about. pilots are not responsible for ensuring the proper data is being properly transmitted or anything technical about the broadcast or it's implementation. just make sure you are flying with the latest sw version and you obey all faa rules and regulations.

Serial #: 1748CHL7822390001 - 1748CHN2925529999

Has anyone heard anything from Autel about RID upgrade or module add-on?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d