Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

RID response from Autel:

• Thread starter Deleted member 9417
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9417

"Hello,

Autel does not make agreement with the FAA on RID for EVO II V1/V2 Series.

Without remote ID, pilots only be allowed to operate at FAA-recognized identification areas (FRIAs) sponsored by community-based organizations or educational institutions. FRIAs are the only locations unmanned aircraft (drones and radio-controlled airplanes) may operate without broadcasting remote ID message elements."

If you have any further questions, feel free to reply directly to this email and I'd be happy to assist.
Best Regards,
Kristen| After-sales Technical Support

Don't know how it is in your area, but in KC the few AMA sanctioned flying fields that there are do not allow drones. So, bottom line: Autel has abandoned those of us who have drones older than about 18 months, or those who purchase(d) an EVO II V1/V2 series more recently. So far, I have not found any RID device that will make my drone, and maybe yours, FAA legal. Has anyone else? I am talking USA, not Europe, Australia, Asia or Africa.

There are not a whole bunch of FRIAs just yet probably because there isn't a need for them just yet. Perhaps it will become more popular as we get close to September. None of us really expect to drone at these "flying fields" because they really don't offer what we are looking for.

I don't feel abandoned by Autel. You are abandoned when you need someone and they are not there for you when you need them the most. When it comes to RID, I don't really need Autel. It would be nice but I don't expect it. What I need is an FAA-approved RID external module. You can find them here (just filter by RID):

Reactions: swiftlizard and G_G
There are not a whole bunch of FRIAs just yet probably because there isn't a need for them just yet. Perhaps it will become more popular as we get close to September. None of us really expect to drone at these "flying fields" because they really don't offer what we are looking for.

I don't feel abandoned by Autel. You are abandoned when you need someone and they are not there for you when you need them the most. When it comes to RID, I don't really need Autel. It would be nice but I don't expect it. What I need is an FAA-approved RID external module. You can find them here (just filter by RID):

Problem with drone-specific flying fields at city and state parks is that infrastructure would be required, at least it would be here in the KC metro. I was told by park commissioners on both of the state lines that several things would have be build: Parking lot. Restrooms. Launch pads. Fencing to keep back non-fliers. All of the existing R/C, AMA sanctioned fields hereabouts were completely financed and maintained by local clubs. But why would a drone flyer even want to fly at the same flied all the time, same trees, same grass, same structures if there are any? The point of R/C fixed wing aircraft is the FLYING, not taking videos or stills. Then too, there are R/C competitions, everything from fun flys to pylon races, to glider endurance challengers to scale models, etc. Sure, I am still practicing and learning on my drone (and hope to again if it ever gets back from Autel). But that is a means to an end. My objective is not to do perfect outside loops, but to create really good stills and the odd video of lots of different places. BTW, in the recent past it has taken literally months to even get a reply from Autel customer service. When a company will not update its product to keep with government compliance, I call that abandonment, or at least ignoring. Your mileage apparently varies. BTW, I am uncertain if I could even add a module to my Autel. The vids I have seen suggest putting them on the bottom, but my model has sensors there and the top is curved and already has 3-mile collision avoidance beacon.

Problem with the FAA link to RID is that it does not cover all "dot-somethings of the EVO Pro I and II.

I have seen the video. No indication that it will work with my Autel. AND, in case you did not notice, it costs #299!!!!!!! Yeah, like, when the FAA first came up with the *brilliant* idea of an RID, they said the RID would probably cost $25. Ah, those guys inside the Beltway are SOOOO effing out of touch :(

Reactions: redleger
I have seen the video. No indication that it will work with my Autel. AND, in case you did not notice, it costs #299!!!!!!! Yeah, like, when the FAA first came up with the *brilliant* idea of an RID, they said the RID would probably cost $25. Ah, those guys inside the Beltway are SOOOO effing out of touch :(
It will work with your Autel. ;)

Reactions: AirStag
Ok, this guy might be more your speed. Let's revisit the costs as we get closer to the end of the year.

Hasn't this been understood and settled for a long time? The v1 is 3yrs old. RID didn't exist then. Same for the V2. Nobody is abandoning you. It's an older drone that does not have that which did not exist at the time. They can't just wave their magic wand and make new hardware and functions appear out of thin air on those older drones. This is no different than any other manufacturer or any other drones. It seems to me the problem is you've just now noticed. This is kind of old news.

The solution for any older drone that pre-dates rid, or a custom built drone, is the aftermarket modules that you attach to the drone. Such as the ones made by DroneTag. It's that simple. No need to make it more complicated or insist you're a victim.

Autel has abandoned those of us who have drones older than about 18 months, or those who purchase(d) an EVO II V1/V2 series
When The Evo 2 v.3 was released, Autel said that the v.1 and v.2 would not get RID by firmware update. BUT, that they, Autel, would manufacture a module for those craft for a reasonable fee. We are not to September yet, so they still have time to live up to their promises. I wouldn't hold your breath though because they are in the habit of not delivering on promises. One of the major reasons Ken Booth couldn't work for them any more.

ken.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, here is the sequence: I sent my drone to Autel for repair. Should be there Monday. I sent an email to CS, which amazingly, got right back to me. They said that at the moment. NO ONE is making an RID that will work with my drone. So according to the MANUFACTURER, and by definition, DroneTag one won't work. And I say AGAIN, $299 for a gizmo that might not work, and that nearly as I can tell from this distance, would not even properly attach, ain't gonna happen. The elephant in the room of course is the FAA. The RID is fool's errand. Only those who have it will be trackable. It will require a complaint to local cops. And in this area, I seriously doubt that the local cops will be up to speed on how to track a drone, even if they have the time. Heck, they don't even respond to auto collisions unless blood is shed or if drivers start shooting at each other. And anyone with the right equipment can track YOU and your drone, for better or for worse. Victim? Hey man, like we are ALL subject to the over-zealous whims of the FAA. Has nothing to do with being a *victim.* A victim is a kid or teacher who (speaking of shooting) gets shot in their classroom.

Reactions: ethelsnakes
I am seriously falling out of love with Autel. And if the Congress has its way, DJI will not be allowed to sell their drones in America.

OK, here is the sequence: I sent my drone to Autel for repair. Should be there Monday. I sent an email to CS, which amazingly, got right back to me. They said that at the moment. NO ONE is making an RID that will work with my drone. So according to the MANUFACTURER, and by definition, DroneTag one won't work. And I say AGAIN, $299 for a gizmo that might not work, and that nearly as I can tell from this distance, would not even properly attach, ain't gonna happen. The elephant in the room of course is the FAA. The RID is fool's errand. Only those who have it will be trackable. It will require a complaint to local cops. And in this area, I seriously doubt that the local cops will be up to speed on how to track a drone, even if they have the time. Heck, they don't even respond to auto collisions unless blood is shed or if drivers start shooting at each other. And anyone with the right equipment can track YOU and your drone, for better or for worse. Victim? Hey man, like we are ALL subject to the over-zealous whims of the FAA. Has nothing to do with being a *victim.* A victim is a kid or teacher who (speaking of shooting) gets shot in their classroom.
Unfortunately I think it wasn't explained to you very well but luckily we have a good group of folks on the forum who have a little bit of understanding how it might work so I'll give it a shot and others can chime in if I am wrong or there is more to add. And I'm not being condescending but it appears you might be struggling a bit and I'm trying to be helpful.

You cannot believe exactly everything you hear from Autel. You're not talking to the right person at Autel and you're not talking to someone at Autel who would necessarily know. And for sure, you are not talking to someone at Autel who can explain it very well (depending on teh question you asked). On the forum, we don't know for sure either so weigh everything and decide for yourself.

There are two types of external modules to be approved by the FAA:
#1 module: External modules that work with Autel.
#2 module: External modules that do not work with Autel.

So Autel is correct, there are no #1 modules on the market. But what they failed to explain is you don't have to use a module that works with your drone. You just have to use one that works #2).

Ideally it would nice if the module would turn on when you start up the drone, turn off when you power down the drone, tap into the drone's power supply so it will operate at all times when the drone is operating, snap into a location on the drone that is effective and convenient, and/or prevent the drone from taking off should a malfunction be detected in the module. THEN you are a #1 module. There is no such external module that work with the Autel drone today so let's forget about #1 for now.

The FAA says we are allowed to use #2 and lucky for us there are #2 approved external modules on the market for sale, right now. These modules will not easily attach to your Autel drone, they will not tap into the Autel battery for power, they will not have anything to do with an Autel drone (or any other drone manufacturer). But the good news is, they are approved (which means they meet all legal requirements) and you can use it and fly legally with it. At this point, you just have to want one and be able to afford one. Oh, and you have to be open to the idea of RID else pretty much nothing is going to work out for you.

HTH

Last edited:
If all of the modules that MAY work with my drone cost $299, I will selling my outfit. I am not opposed to RID, even though I think it is silly idea that will cost more to implement for both local law enforcement and people like me, than it will result in catching bad actors. Bad actors will not register drones and sure as hell won't get an RID, or if their unit includes one at purchase, they will just disable it. I do not completely understand what you mean by "#2" module, but no mas. Y'all have fun now, y'hear :)

I do not see the purpose of the RID device when in theory all information that is needed from the drone can be sent back to the operator and through the phone that is connected online. They would just have to update the software to do this on the phone.

If all of the modules that MAY work with my drone cost $299, I will selling my outfit. I am not opposed to RID, even though I think it is silly idea that will cost more to implement for both local law enforcement and people like me, than it will result in catching bad actors. Bad actors will not register drones and sure as hell won't get an RID, or if their unit includes one at purchase, they will just disable it. I do not completely understand what you mean by "#2" module, but no mas. Y'all have fun now, y'hear :)
I have updated my previous post to clarify and make it easier to understand. There really isn't a such thing as a #1 module and a #2 module but I wanted to illustrate the differences between the types of modules that are hitting the market vs. the type of modules that Autel is referring to in their correspondence.

I wouldn't worry about the $299 price. The market will decide and the prices will go lower....for sure; I guarantee it. ;)

You only need to buy one external module and you can use it on as many different drones as you wish. If we are lucky, the FAA will subsidize the price for one for anyone who wants one....

I agree, bad actors will not register and bad actors will not use external RID modules.

I do not see the purpose of the RID device when in theory all information that is needed from the drone can be sent back to the operator and through the phone that is connected online. They would just have to update the software to do this on the phone.
Probably half the drones that are flying in the sky currently do not have an internet or mobile phone connection and therefore cannot make use of being connected online. Think about smart controllers or FPV drones. Contrary to popular believe, the FAA cannot order the drone manufacturers to update their software for RID so in order to gain compliance, they had to come up with a different solution that is completely out of the hands and have nothing to do with the OEM manufacturer: it's call the RID external module. So if Autel refuses to make it happen (which it sounds like they have done), then the FAA is looking to you and I for compliance and they've given us a way to do it (no thanks to the manufacturer).

I will not hold my breath (because it would make too damn many people happy) in anticipation of the FAA subsidizing my RID purchase. Those boys inside the Beltway are so out of touch, they commented that an RID would cost $25. Well, I did get a good chuckle out of that one :)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller