Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

RID again, again

• Thread starter Deleted member 9417
  • Start date
Coincidentally, I just received an email from The FAA reminding me that my drone registration will expire within 180 days. They asked me to Log in to my account at FAADroneZone to manage and renew my registration. When I tried to renew registration; I was asked if I have RID, if I answer yes, they ask for RID serial number; if I say no, they will not renew. I ordered a DroneTag Mini.
Certainly they cannot force anyone to create a new registration today only with an RID before September, can they? I understand if you try to renew AFTER the deadline.

Why not wait until August and create a new Account and let the old one expire? I wouldn't want to be forced into buying RID device today "just to renew" unless you plan to forgo compliance.

Otherwise just buy and renew in August; I say this because 1) RID prices are artificially high and 2) We don't know for sure if Autel is going to give us "something" and 3) We don't know if that deadline will get extended or not.

Certainly they cannot force anyone to create a new registration today only with an RID before September, can they? I understand if you try to renew AFTER the deadline.

Why not wait until August and create a new Account and let the old one expire? I wouldn't want to be forced into buying RID device today "just to renew" unless you plan to forgo compliance.

Otherwise just buy and renew in August; I say this because 1) RID prices are artificially high and 2) We don't know for sure if Autel is going to give us "something" and 3) We don't know if that deadline will get extended or not.
Autel isn't giving anything to V1 owners, RID is a fact, I want to renew with the RID module; that's why.

Autel isn't giving anything to V1 owners, RID is a fact, I want to renew with the RID module; that's why.
I meant Autel as in an Autel-specific external module that they seemed to have promised. What if they ask all serial numbers to fill out a form and get an orange module for your troubles, sorry for the non-integration?

I am reading a mixing up of topics and subtopics it's now all getting a bit too confusing to follow.

1. RID hardware like a transponder, being provided by the drone itself or to be added as external module attached externally.

2. RID registration with authorities.

3. RID software and compliance issues.

@trainflyer: Maybe this topic was put up a bit to general?

Coincidentally, I just received an email from The FAA reminding me that my drone registration will expire within 180 days. They asked me to Log in to my account at FAADroneZone to manage and renew my registration. When I tried to renew registration; I was asked if I have RID, if I answer yes, they ask for RID serial number; if I say no, they will not renew. I ordered a DroneTag Mini.
How much did the mini cost? The FAA said, officially, that the "solutions are coming that should cost about $50. I expect that as the electronics are improved upon and the costs for production decrease, that $50 goal will be reached. But if you are an early adopter, just expect you will be paying the upfront costs to the manufacturers.

I personally have two Evo 1 drones that I love. They fly perfectly and are great drones. However, I would have to put an RID on each one simply because the RID module is tied to the actual bird you are flying and I have two separate FAA ID numbers for my two birds. So technically, I would be in violation, even though theoretically someone "out there in cyberland" is watching me fly, and if they then intercepted me on the ground and tried to match up the FAA ID number with my RID number, it might be in violation.

My preferred method of attaching any RID module to a drone as an aftermarket item would be to draw from the power on the drone itself rather than have to put batteries into an RID. Even better, I would like to have the entire RID module fit somewhere inside the airframe. That will be the benefit of newer drones that have that capability already hardwired in. Don't you know that there are literally thousands of older drones, even from DJI and everyone else that are not RID compliant. If I had the knowhow, this is a FANTASTIC business opportunity to sell the heck out of addon modules at a low price. You could clean up the market for sure.

Good to know. So if we fly without RID, eventually we'll be flying unregistered as well.

How much did the mini cost? The FAA said, officially, that the "solutions are coming that should cost about $50. I expect that as the electronics are improved upon and the costs for production decrease, that $50 goal will be reached. But if you are an early adopter, just expect you will be paying the upfront costs to the manufacturers.

I personally have two Evo 1 drones that I love. They fly perfectly and are great drones. However, I would have to put an RID on each one simply because the RID module is tied to the actual bird you are flying and I have two separate FAA ID numbers for my two birds. So technically, I would be in violation, even though theoretically someone "out there in cyberland" is watching me fly, and if they then intercepted me on the ground and tried to match up the FAA ID number with my RID number, it might be in violation.

My preferred method of attaching any RID module to a drone as an aftermarket item would be to draw from the power on the drone itself rather than have to put batteries into an RID. Even better, I would like to have the entire RID module fit somewhere inside the airframe. That will be the benefit of newer drones that have that capability already hardwired in. Don't you know that there are literally thousands of older drones, even from DJI and everyone else that are not RID compliant. If I had the knowhow, this is a FANTASTIC business opportunity to sell the heck out of addon modules at a low price. You could clean up the market for sure.

Do we know that two drones cannot be registered with the same RID module serial number?

I got the Dronetag beacon in the mail rtoday and was disappointed to learn that it required registration (with the manufacturer, I already knew about FAA) and an app "to use all functions" of the device. I couldn't care less about "all functions," and I don't need another app keeping tabs on me. I want the minimum required to be legal.

Joe at Vertigo Drones confirmed that the app is necessary; but the FAQ from the manufacturer reluctantly suggests otherwise on the bottom of this page:

Which I think may mean that the thing broadcasts when you push the button to start a flight, regardless. If that's the case, then probably installing the app long enough to register and activate the thing may be all that's necessary.

I don't need flight planning, logging, nor any of that other nonsense. I just want the thing to spit out a signal to keep Big Brother happy. That's it.

I got the Dronetag beacon in the mail rtoday and was disappointed to learn that it required registration (with the manufacturer, I already knew about FAA) and an app "to use all functions" of the device. I couldn't care less about "all functions," and I don't need another app keeping tabs on me. I want the minimum required to be legal.

Joe at Vertigo Drones confirmed that the app is necessary; but the FAQ from the manufacturer reluctantly suggests otherwise on the bottom of this page:

Which I think may mean that the thing broadcasts when you push the button to start a flight, regardless. If that's the case, then probably installing the app long enough to register and activate the thing may be all that's necessary.

I don't need flight planning, logging, nor any of that other nonsense. I just want the thing to spit out a signal to keep Big Brother happy. That's it.
Thanks for letting us know, glad I decided not to buy one. I'm sure we'll see an indepth review from our trusted sources pretty soon which will help us make a good decision. It's still too early to buy IMO.

Thanks for letting us know, glad I decided not to buy one. I'm sure we'll see an indepth review from our trusted sources pretty soon which will help us make a good decision. It's still too early to buy IMO.
Actually, it appears to work fine without the app once it's registered and associated with an aircraft. You can start a flight or end a flight with the button on the device. Also, the app (at least the iOS version) allows you to opt out of "advanced analytics."

Looking at the app while flying doesn't provide much in the way of information that the SC doesn't. It does supposedly alert you to controlled airspace and the like, but there's none anywhere around me so I don't need that and can't test it without driving 75 miles or so.

I haven't tried installing the Android version on the SC.

Two comforting things are that the device is made by a Czech company, so they (probably) adhere to EU privacy laws; and that the app does have the option to delete an account.

As apps go, it's not horrid. I just was led to believe that you stick it on and fly. Apparently that's not fully the case; but it did go into flight mode just by pressing the button on the device once I registered it. So it's not as bad as I initially thought.

It took a while for the device to get an initial GPS fix, but it was instantaneous after that at about 10 miles away. I guess the farther away you are, the longer it takes.

I guess I'll keep it. It makes me legal.

IMG_4642-redacted.jpg

Any idea where one gets an FAA approved module? Does anyone know how much it weighs and costs?
Hello-

We currently have some in stock!

I'm thinking about building some sort of bracket to hold the RID module and the strobe light. Maybe something that spans the space between the rear top OA sensors where I have my finger

finger.jpg

and extends past the sides an inch or so port and starboard. Then put one device on each side.

It could be as simple as a strip of plastic or wood molded or cut to the contour of the cowling, or even something like a tongue depressor attached on the two slower surfaces with Velcro. I could also do something with plastic and a heat gun (warm the plastic enough to shape it to the contour).

I don't feel like buying a 3D printer and learning how to use it; but if someone already has one, this might be a money-making opportunity. Not Elon Musk money, but maybe some pocket cash.

I've soured on AR as a company (their not doing something with regard to RID V1 being just the most-recent of my complaints); but I do love the drone itself, and I haven't had any problems to speak of with the SC.

So I do plan to fly it for a while. I may as well try to do something classier than sticking the thing on the nose, plus I can solve the problem of where to put the beacon.

My guess is RID modules will most likely have 3D mounts similar to strobes which attach to the legs.

My guess is RID modules will most likely have 3D mounts similar to strobes which attach to the legs.
I agree in theory that for any such attachment a leg seems to be a better spot on the EVO 2 to not interfere with sensors or internal antennas. So here I sit and wait for the first images of such mounts to appear. Until then Duck tape or Gaffers tape should do right?

I agree in theory that for any such attachment a leg seems to be a better spot on the EVO 2 to not interfere with sensors or internal antennas. So here I sit and wait for the first images of such mounts to appear. Until then Duck tape or Gaffers tape should do right?
Duct tape is a wonderful thing, especially for testing. Cable ties, too.

In a general sense (not specific to any particular drone), I'm not so sure about the legs as a suitable location because
  • The control link antennae usually are in the feet and the wires in the legs.
  • Prop clearance limits the suitable mount points.
  • Visual field of the camera limits suitable mount points on the front legs.
  • On a foldable drone, leg mounts would interfere with stowage.
  • On some drones it would get in the way of battery changes. For example, on the EVO II series, spanning the rear legs would be problematic for that reason.
  • The need to avoid blocking OA sensors may also limit suitable mount points.
I'm thinking about it anyway, but I haven't had any ideas involving the legs that seem better overall than the mount point I mentioned earlier for my particular drone (EVO II Pro 6K). I'll have to find an old-fashioned hobby shop to walk through for more ideas.

if we could get the rid module into the size of the popular strobe lights, this type of mount would be ideal especially if you use the module for other aircraft.

this is my e2p in the photos, ryan sent me the 3d mounts to test fit and take pics: DJI Strobe Mounts

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
I'm thinking about building some sort of bracket to hold the RID module and the strobe light. Maybe something that spans the space between the rear top OA sensors where I have my finger

View attachment 16149

and extends past the sides an inch or so port and starboard. Then put one device on each side.

It could be as simple as a strip of plastic or wood molded or cut to the contour of the cowling, or even something like a tongue depressor attached on the two slower surfaces with Velcro. I could also do something with plastic and a heat gun (warm the plastic enough to shape it to the contour).

I don't feel like buying a 3D printer and learning how to use it; but if someone already has one, this might be a money-making opportunity. Not Elon Musk money, but maybe some pocket cash.

I've soured on AR as a company (their not doing something with regard to RID V1 being just the most-recent of my complaints); but I do love the drone itself, and I haven't had any problems to speak of with the SC.

So I do plan to fly it for a while. I may as well try to do something classier than sticking the thing on the nose, plus I can solve the problem of where to put the beacon.
Hey Richard - did you ever make something or find a 3D printed one? I found one on Etsy for a beacon, but not a dronetag mini. I just don't trust velcro enough for a $300 piece of equipment.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDroneTN