Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

RID again, again

• Thread starter Deleted member 9417
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9417

My EVO Pro, some "dot version" is in for a check up after being treed and rained on. I asked the online responder if the FAA required RID could be installed or uploaded to my drone as long as it was in the shop. the response was "Tell us the version of drone and we will let you know if it can be installed." So, if it cannot, then do I just have a doorstop?

My EVO Pro, some "dot version" is in for a check up after being treed and rained on. I asked the online responder if the FAA required RID could be installed or uploaded to my drone as long as it was in the shop. the response was "Tell us the version of drone and we will let you know if it can be installed." So, if it cannot, then do I just have a doorstop?
if it cannot be upgraded to rid-capable, by september you will need to attach and faa-approved external rid module to continue to legally fly.

if it cannot be upgraded to rid-capable, by september you will need to attach and faa-approved external rid module to continue to legally fly.
Any idea where one gets an FAA approved module? Does anyone know how much it weighs and costs?

I gotta ask, and not that I would fly illegally, but if one does NOT have RID, how will the authorities know? For example, in Kansas City, Missouri, the cops do not even answer calls to traffic accidents unless someone is bleeding and the collision is tying up traffic. I cannot imagine that the local police are going to be driving around and looking skyward to watch for drones, then, seeing no RID response, search for the pilot on the ground. Seems to me that PIC would have to be performing some pretty dangerous maneuvers AND someone complaining who then calls the cops. What happens after that, assuming that no lives were endangered or property harmed? Do the cops arrest the PIC? On what charge? If KC has no law on the books for flying sans RID, then how can they arrest the PIC? If the FAA eventually gets involved, what is the penalty? Fine? Imprisonment? Taking away the drone? Community service?

Moved your thread to General Discussion.

No sense worrying about this now. Chances are good it won't even go into effect until Jan. 1, 2024 and even then, enforcement will be less than ideal except in hot spots like airports and stadiums.

Agreed, we should wait until we get closer to the end of the year to see what our options are.

Has anyone actually seen even a hint that the RID requirement might be moved to January, 2024? Like many of you, I am a member of the AMA and it keeps close tabs on all FAA related stuff. They have ongoing conversations with the FAA and I have seen nothing from AMA to indicate any change in the effective date. Nor any indication that the RID requirement might be recused.

all i know is the compliance date for the drone manufacturers slipped by a few months last year and so it would be natural to think the same might happen again. not because of compliance but likely because of readiness (whatever that means).

Reactions: Eagle928
Moved your thread to General Discussion.

Congratulations, me too, so what? The DroneTag Mini satisfies FAA requirements.
There was no mention of it meeting FAA requirements, in the original post. So how would I know? I quote: "DroneTag develops a solution for safe and efficient drone traffic management in the EUROPEAN airspace." (Caps mine for emphasis.) Since you seem to know it all, will it work with EVO Pro I or II? I care not about other models.

There was no mention of it meeting FAA requirements, in the original post. So how would I know? I quote: "DroneTag develops a solution for safe and efficient drone traffic management in the EUROPEAN airspace." (Caps mine for emphasis.) Since you seem to know it all, will it work with EVO Pro I or II? I care not about other models.
FAA Declaration of Compliance: UAS Declaration of Compliance

will it work with EVO Pro I or II? I care not about other models.
an external RID Module shall work on any kind of drone that can deal with a few grams of extra weight. My biggest worry is that it is too large and there isn't any good place on the drone body to put it without interfering with a sensor or the gimbal.

European regulations and those of the FAA are very similar, especially when it comes to the RID topic. No need to trust a manufacturer less because it is in Europe, in fact I believe the hardware inside is in the end produced in some Asian factory. Like most of our other electronics.

The DroneTag Mini works on anything, it's just attached to the outside of the body. You could throw it off a cliff and it would report it's position all the way down.

Reactions: AirStag
an external RID Module shall work on any kind of drone that can deal with a few grams of extra weight. My biggest worry is that it is too large and there isn't any good place on the drone body to put it without interfering with a sensor or the gimbal.

European regulations and those of the FAA are very similar, especially when it comes to the RID topic. No need to trust a manufacturer less because it is in Europe, in fact I believe the hardware inside is in the end produced in some Asian factory. Like most of our other electronics.
DroneTag sells smaller units and some that are for installation inside the body.

Coincidentally, I just received an email from The FAA reminding me that my drone registration will expire within 180 days. They asked me to Log in to my account at FAADroneZone to manage and renew my registration. When I tried to renew registration; I was asked if I have RID, if I answer yes, they ask for RID serial number; if I say no, they will not renew. I ordered a DroneTag Mini.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller