Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

RID response from Autel:

• Thread starter Deleted member 9417
  • Start date
If someone wants to be intentionally ignorant to their own detriment, there is really nothing more we can do. Trainflyer is hell bent on victimizing himself. Let him be at this point I guess.

I have updated my previous post to clarify and make it easier to understand. There really isn't a such thing as a #1 module and a #2 module but I wanted to illustrate the differences between the types of modules that are hitting the market vs. the type of modules that Autel is referring to in their correspondence.

I wouldn't worry about the $299 price. The market will decide and the prices will go lower....for sure; I guarantee it. ;)

You only need to buy one external module and you can use it on as many different drones as you wish. If we are lucky, the FAA will subsidize the price for one for anyone who wants one....

I agree, bad actors will not register and bad actors will not use external RID modules.
I seriously doubt that the FAA will subsidize the price of an RID. The government has a long, sad history of not cleaning up its messes. After WWI, aka The Great War, it took a march on Washington by vets in 1932 to get the war bonus. Two of them were killed. During air testing of nuclear weapons in the desert, US troops were marched onto detonation sites as human guinea pigs to see what effect radiation would have on their bodies. Compensation was denied for decades, after most of them had died of various cancers. Agent Orange was used extensively in the Vietnam war and our troops and nurses and doctors were exposed and later came down with all sorts of neurological diseases, including Parkinson's. To this day, there are still 'Nam vets who cannot get VA approval for treatment. So, don't hold your breath that the government controlled FAA will spend a single red cent on a bunch of drone flyers.

If someone wants to be intentionally ignorant to their own detriment, there is really nothing more we can do. Trainflyer is hell bent on victimizing himself. Let him be at this point I guess.
You don't get it, do you? Sad... :(

So if you use 8 batteries, you would pay an extra $100 each and then more if/when they need replaced? And, if you use more than one model of drone you are out of luck?

Umm.. I don't think so! Try again? 😉
I have 8 batteries and will be getting an external remote ID for sure. However I would not have a problem buying one or two batteries that include RID. I think it could be a sweet deal for those that feel abandoned by Autel or pushed around by the FAA :cool:

Well, here's the thing. If you go to FAA's website at https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs and check their RID drones database, the Evo2 is listed as "accepted" So why then, if you have an Evo2, will it NOT work for RID? Hmmm. Someone isn't telling the whole truth.

Well, here's the thing. If you go to FAA's website at UAS Declaration of Compliance and check their RID drones database, the Evo2 is listed as "accepted" So why then, if you have an Evo2, will it NOT work for RID? Hmmm. Someone isn't telling the whole truth.
upon closer inspection, you'll see only these serial numbers are accepted. outside the range likely indicates no rid.

Serial #: 1748CHL7822390001 - 1748CHN2925529999

upon closer inspection, you'll see only these serial numbers are accepted. outside the range likely indicates no rid.

Serial #: 1748CHL7822390001 - 1748CHN2925529999
Very interesting observation! I wouldn't have caught that. So if were to buy someone's used drone, I should definitely check this first, since it appears that an "Evo 2" aren't all the same

Very interesting observation! I wouldn't have caught that. So if were to buy someone's used drone, I should definitely check this first, since it appears that an "Evo 2" aren't all the same
i believe it can be interpreted by the layperson as evo v1/v2 not rid-compliant, and evo v3 is rid-compliant.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
I have updated my previous post to clarify and make it easier to understand. There really isn't a such thing as a #1 module and a #2 module but I wanted to illustrate the differences between the types of modules that are hitting the market vs. the type of modules that Autel is referring to in their correspondence.

I wouldn't worry about the $299 price. The market will decide and the prices will go lower....for sure; I guarantee it. ;)

You only need to buy one external module and you can use it on as many different drones as you wish. If we are lucky, the FAA will subsidize the price for one for anyone who wants one....

I agree, bad actors will not register and bad actors will not use external RID modules.
We are only a few months out and they are still $299. The "cheap" $89 ones have to be wired into the drone with power, and antennas, with parts being an additional cost. I have 6 registered drones and it's not true that you can only buy one module to work on all of them. Sure, technically, you can do that, but each time you put it on a different drone, you must register it again on Dronezone. The FAA will never subsidize anything. That would require an act of Congress for funding.

Are there moderators here? Has anyone considered all the time and good intentions wasted on trainflyer and his impossible and non-productive rants?

We are only a few months out and they are still $299. The "cheap" $89 ones have to be wired into the drone with power, and antennas, with parts being an additional cost. I have 6 registered drones and it's not true that you can only buy one module to work on all of them. Sure, technically, you can do that, but each time you put it on a different drone, you must register it again on Dronezone. The FAA will never subsidize anything. That would require an act of Congress for funding.
You will be surprised how quickly the market makes decisions these days. You don't have to complete your purchase by September. The market has the rest of the year to bring those prices down. If a manufacturer thinks he can charge $300 in September and the market thinks otherwise and nobody flies with an external rid module, October will change that price.

Could be that people are only interesting in flying drones with RID already built in. ;)

Congress could subsidize in 2024 or 2025, maybe they already have the funds depending on how RID goes. Maybe they change the date. Sept 2023 is over-rated, it will be largely "uneventful." ;)

You will only need one module, not six. This is what will happen in reality.

Greg mentions in his video that it is his opinion that if RID modules stay at near $300 a pop, then RID will fail due to non-compliance by a majority of users. If 6 out of 10 operate without adhereing to RID, then the program will fail. The FAA knows this.

In aviation in general, not just uas, the FAA relies on the user base mostly wanting and willing to comply with regulations. If the regulation is not aimed at safety, and is too burdensome or expensive, folks will just ignore it. And, lets be honest. There are just too many real problems for local law enforcement to deal with these days for them to worry about uas RID.

Last edited:
I do not see the purpose of the RID device when in theory all information that is needed from the drone can be sent back to the operator and through the phone that is connected online. They would just have to update the software to do this on the phone.
Hmm. It seems to me the clever Chinese, in the guise of DJI, figured a long time ago how to know where your drone is. That is exactly WHY the Congress is passing laws against DJI, because DJI knows exactly where your drone is and that is why they can disable your drone remotely when you are in a no fly zone. So all this hooey about RID is nonsense. It doesn't take a lot of figuring to figure out that the best way to deal with drone location is by tapping into the radio signal coming back from your drone that displays the Lat/Lon location that you see on your controller. Duh!

Sure beacon light is no problem. I have one as well. All I can say is that the Autel CS person who emailed me said that the DroneTag will not work properly on the II. I do not see how there would be room for both the beacon and the DT on top. Here is the problem with compatibility: I did not know until I had bought mine that during the pandemic when chips were scarce, Autel just used whatever components they could find. This resulted in several versions of the II, each one expressed in a *dot....* designation. There was apparently enough difference in the various iterations to make some work with DT and some not. In any event, it is a moot point for me. I will not be spending $300 just to make the FAA happy. The RID is a fool's errand anyway, rant, rant. If someone is flying in an unsafe manner, and if the pilot is not obvious, how are the cops going to locate him/her/them if they do't even have an RID? Yes, I know that NFL/MLB stadium security and suchlike has equipment to monitor drone activity and locate the pilot, but I seriously doubt that the KCMO cops will be carrying it around. I also doubt that unless blood is shed and/or property severely damaged, that they would even show up. Heck, they do not even respond to auto collisions unless someone is bleeding or the drivers start shooting at each other, which does happen with some frequency in these parts. End of rant :)
The GPS antenna location on the V1 Evo II (like the one I've got) could and did present a realtively minor issue for certain fliers with anti-collision strobes. A problem arose for those who had Velcro'd their Firehouse Arc V to the part of the top orange shell near the "cowl" piece, a spot that appeared most inviting but was directly over the GPS antennas. Apparently, this can interfere with getting a GPS lock, and when that happens mid-flight, all manner of things ensue, none of them good. Worse was somebody posted this as an image of the way to mount an Arc V strobe that got shared and re-shared a bunch. Thankfully, I found the solution was pretty simple-- just move the Velcro patch to the nose of the "hood" and not directly over the GPS antenna. Done. I've always gotten excellent signal and range with or without the Arc V mounted so I haven't given it a lot of thought since.

That said, if Autel Robotics is declaring the Drone Tag Mini won't work, maybe they know something I don't yet, or care to needlessly fork out $300 only to soon discover? If someone here is successfully using a DroneTag Mini on their AE2 V1 or V2, please tell us exactly how/where did they mount it?

That said, if Autel Robotics is declaring the Drone Tag Mini won't work, maybe they know something I don't yet, or care to needlessly fork out $300 only to soon discover? If someone here is successfully using a DroneTag Mini on their AE2 V1 or V2, please tell us exactly how/where did they mount it?
Autel is not saying that. Trainflyer made that up in his own head and stormed off like a fool. What is actually happening is that Autel is not going to recommend or provide direction on any third party external device which they didn't manufacture or test. Nor should they. Nor does DJI or anyone else. That is all that's going on here.

Does Autel maybe provide a PDF of where all the antennas and radio frequency sensitive parts are located inside our drones? Or did anyone here on the forum create an internal hardware map after opening up the V1 and V2 drones? Would be useful later if we start using external RID modules.

Also I was wondering if placing such a module strapped to one of the longer landing feet, would it cause too much imbalance, or can the EVO 2 cope with the minimal extra weight on one leg?

Reactions: pedals2paddles
Well, here's the thing. If you go to FAA's website at UAS Declaration of Compliance and check their RID drones database, the Evo2 is listed as "accepted" So why then, if you have an Evo2, will it NOT work for RID? Hmmm. Someone isn't telling the whole truth.
Not much communication between the out of touch FAA and drone manufacturers. According to Autel CS the EVO 2 does NOT have RID, and as the CS person told me, "You are on your own to find a compatible RID."

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwoody