Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Problem Saving RAWs

MIGUELO

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have detected a problem with the Evo II. I have the camera configured to store photos in JPG + RAW. The point is that when I go to view them on the card, many JPGs appear but only a few DNGs (RAW). More or less for every 20 JPG only 3 DNG appear.
Anyone ever happened something similar ??

Hello everyone.
I have detected a problem with the Evo II. I have the camera configured to store photos in JPG + RAW. The point is that when I go to view them on the card, many JPGs appear but only a few DNGs (RAW). More or less for every 20 JPG only 3 DNG appear.
Anyone ever happened something similar ??

How quickly are you taking images, and what speed is the card? I never use the JPG+RAW option mainly because I never shoot JPG but also one of the downsides is the buffer clears a lot slower because it now has to record and save two different files. I would test shooting just RAW and seeing if it works better. I've never lost a RAW image in the EVO II and I only shoot RAW.

Also, how are you taking the images? One thing I discovered was that if you press the camera (photography) shutter button on the remote while the camera is recording in video mode it will take a JPG image even if it is set to take RAW images. I haven't tested this, but it might also take JPG images if you press the shutter button for photography (on the remote) while the camera is in video mode.

Reactions: Does it go higher?
How quickly are you taking images, and what speed is the card? I never use the JPG+RAW option mainly because I never shoot JPG but also one of the downsides is the buffer clears a lot slower because it now has to record and save two different files. I would test shooting just RAW and seeing if it works better. I've never lost a RAW image in the EVO II and I only shoot RAW.

Also, how are you taking the images? One thing I discovered was that if you press the camera (photography) shutter button on the remote while the camera is recording in video mode it will take a JPG image even if it is set to take RAW images. I haven't tested this, but it might also take JPG images if you press the shutter button for photography (on the remote) while the camera is in video mode.
The card is a 64GB Lexar 1000x V60.
I always use RAW photography for post-processing but I use JPG for a quick view of the shots and discard or accept.
I will only try to do it in RAW, but this behavior does not seem normal to me.

I usually use the remote control for convenience, but I will use the one on the mobile screen, although it does not seem like normal behavior to me either.
It feels like the EVO II does things as it pleases.

The card is a 64GB Lexar 1000x V60.
I always use RAW photography for post-processing but I use JPG for a quick view of the shots and discard or accept.
I will only try to do it in RAW, but this behavior does not seem normal to me.

I usually use the remote control for convenience, but I will use the one on the mobile screen, although it does not seem like normal behavior to me either.
It feels like the EVO II does things as it pleases.

I definitely agree...the EVO II is not without its quirks. I dedicated a thread to some of its good and bad quirks myself. I think maybe you were in video mode and pressing the shutter button on the remote caused it to take JPGs more often than you expected but I'm not entirely sure since I only observed this behavior when I was actually filming video.

I just use Faststone Image Viewer to make quick select/discard decisions, its just as fast as using JPG+RAW but without the buffer problems or additional space required to do so. Its actually faster because I can use hotkeys to immediately direct my keepers to the next folder in my workflow.

Last edited:
Reactions: atortaloha
I definitely agree...the EVO II is not without its quirks. I dedicated a thread to some of its good and bad quirks myself. I think maybe you were in video mode and pressing the shutter button on the remote caused it to take JPGs more often than you expected but I'm not entirely sure since I only observed this behavior when I was actually filming video.

I just use Faststone Image Viewer to make quick select/discard decisions, its just as fast as using JPG+RAW but without the buffer problems or additional space required to do so. Its actually faster because I can use hotkeys to immediately direct my keepers to the next folder in my workflow.
Exactly quirks, that's the word. However I am loving this drone.
Yes, I was filming video and pressing the shutter on the remote, so I will try to modify my process and do it from the mobile and when I am not filming video.
I use Capture One for all my photos, one is attached (Fuji not drone)
Regards, and thank you very much.

Attachments

• XT3A0206.jpg
    XT3A0206.jpg
    9.8 MB · Views: 20
Yes, I was filming video and pressing the shutter on the remote, so I will try to modify my process and do it from the mobile and when I am not filming video.

Amazing image. I still use Lightroom and Photoshop and would love to ditch the subscription but so far nothing else I've tried matches those two. I tried Capture One but it just didn't come close enough to the Lightroom experience for me; during my trial there were a lot of things I just didn't like about it so I went back to Lightroom.

If you were pressing the shutter button while filming video then that is definitely what was happening. It will only take JPGs while filming video even if set to RAW. I think this is a limitation due to buffer bandwidth or processing speed. I actually think its pretty cool that it can take images at all while filming; the DJI drones can't do this but like most things with Autel; its camera features and limitations are not well documented, they don't even tell you there is a crop at 4K60FPS or what modes are 10bit vs 8bit.

I am thinking about possibly buying an evoII pro 6K....does anyone have any sample RAW's they would be willing to share to see how they look? I can't find any that are quality shots online.

I am thinking about possibly buying an evoII pro 6K....does anyone have any sample RAW's they would be willing to share to see how they look? I can't find any that are quality shots online.

I can tell you without hesitation that it is the best consumer/prosumer drone on the market right now. The camera is second only to the much more expensive Inspire 2 with the X7. IMO it even beats the Inspire 2 paired with the X5.

I think RAWs are hard to find because they are 40MB so you can't upload them here directly due to their size. Below though are two images; one straight out of camera and the second fully processed that shows the dynamic range, highlight rolloff, and shadow recovery capabilities of the camera. I have building sized prints hanging downtown right now that were taken with the DJI Phantom P4 and the EVO II 6K's camera is better than that one so trust me, the camera is good enough for anything you need to do with it.

I also uploaded the RAW for the image below to my website, I'll send you a DM with the download link since I'm not sure if we are allowed to post links to our own websites here. I haven't taken many images with the EVO II, I have mostly been shooting video so I don't have many RAWs to share.

Project-03102021-AP-Sunset-LensCorrection.jpgProject-03102021-AP-Sunset.jpg

BTW it is also an amazing low light camera below is a sample night image.

Project-02092021-AP-LowLightTest (1).jpg

Last edited:
I can tell you without hesitation that it is the best consumer/prosumer drone on the market right now. The camera is second only to the much more expensive Inspire 2 with the X7. IMO it even beats the Inspire 2 paired with the X5.

I think RAWs are hard to find because they are 40MB so you can't upload them here directly due to their size. Below though are two images; one straight out of camera and the second fully processed that shows the dynamic range, highlight rolloff, and shadow recovery capabilities of the camera. I have building sized prints hanging downtown right now that were taken with the DJI Phantom P4 and the EVO II 6K's camera is better than that one so trust me, the camera is good enough for anything you need to do with it.

I also uploaded the RAW for the image below to my website, I'll send you a DM with the download link since I'm not sure if we are allowed to post links to our own websites here.

View attachment 10048View attachment 10049
So you are saying 40MB are you talking about the 20MP 6K files not the 8K correct? Thank you for the link I will look at it. Do you have something that is easier to see details other than a Sunset/Sunrise type shot maybe of buildings or something that would help. For example what I saw online were shots of snow, etc. and just hard to truly tell much from those types of files. Thanks too and of course aloha.

So you are saying 40MB are you talking about the 20MP 6K files not the 8K correct? Thank you for the link I will look at it. Do you have something that is easier to see details other than a Sunset/Sunrise type shot maybe of buildings or something that would help. For example what I saw online were shots of snow, etc. and just hard to truly tell much from those types of files. Thanks too and of course aloha.

Yes, the 20MP EVO II 6K's camera outputs ~40MB RAW files. I don't have any normal daylight shots of buildings or anything like that since I've been mainly testing its video features. I am using it on its first commercial gig tomorrow and its during normal daylight so I should have some sample images tomorrow. To me nearly any modern drone camera is more than adequate for nearly any situation; the rest of the user experience is more important to me than the camera. In case you haven't seen it...I did a full write up on the user experience in this thread.

I also uploaded the RAW for the image below to my website, I'll send you a DM with the download link since I'm not sure if we are allowed to post links to our own websites here. I haven't taken many images with the EVO II, I have mostly been shooting video so I don't have many RAWs to share.

View attachment 10048View attachment 10049

BTW it is also an amazing low light camera below is a sample night image.

View attachment 10050
Ok so I see in the metadata it was shot at f/4.5 so has to be the 6K since the 8K is a fixed f/1.8 I believe. The file does look really darn good and almost selling me on it already. lol I would love to see a couple more as I said if possible just of a scene with some objects in it like buildings or a cityscape or something along those lines.

Ok so I see in the metadata it was shot at f/4.5 so has to be the 6K since the 8K is a fixed f/1.8 I believe. The file does look really darn good and almost selling me on it already. lol I would love to see a couple more as I said if possible just of a scene with some objects in it like buildings or a cityscape or something along those lines.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow, I'll probably stop somewhere downtown and get a few daylight shots after the gig.

Ok, here are some sample images not shot at night, sunset, etc. These are downtown Tampa, normal daylight. I'll send you the link to the RAWs via DM.

Project-03282020-AP-TampaTest (1).jpgProject-03282020-AP-TampaTest (2).jpgProject-03282020-AP-TampaTest (3).jpgProject-03282020-AP-TampaTest (4).jpgProject-03282020-AP-TampaTest (5).jpgProject-03282020-AP-TampaTest (6).jpg

I actually think its pretty cool that it can take images at all while filming; the DJI drones can't do this
DJI, at least P4Ps have had this capability (e.g. take a photo albeit JPG) while recording video for several years. Just like with the Autel E2P, on the P4P, have used it many times, its great feature for capturing something quick while recording, particular if you dont need RAW or dont want to grab a video frame.

DJI, at least P4Ps have had this capability (e.g. take a photo albeit JPG) while recording video for several years. Just like with the Autel E2P, on the P4P, have used it many times, its great feature for capturing something quick while recording, particular if you dont need RAW or dont want to grab a video frame.

I haven't updated my DJI app since 2017 due to geofencing so that must be a feature that they added in a later version.

I personally never take JPGs while filming because the differences in what it takes to get top quality from either are too great, not to mention I just don't shoot JPGs to begin with. But if you just need a quick JPG and quality isn't a requirement then it's a nice feature to have.

I haven't updated my DJI app since 2017 due to geofencing so that must be a feature that they added in a later version.

I personally never take JPGs while filming because the differences in what it takes to get top quality from either are too great, not to mention I just don't shoot JPGs to begin with. But if you just need a quick JPG and quality isn't a requirement then it's a nice feature to have.
No worries, iirc the function in the P4P was there from the beginning, however also easy to miss that it is there. Concur, prefer raw, however sometimes having a JPG when all that is needed is a JPG is good enough. Yup, hear from some about issues with the geofence unless you get a custom blanket unlock, otho, somethings are easier with the Autel, somethings with the DJI.

None of my DJI drones support taking a photo while recording a video.

I was blown away to find the Autel Evo could, until I found out it is literally removing a frame from the video in order to do it :rolleyes:

Reactions: herein2021
No worries, iirc the function in the P4P was there from the beginning, however also easy to miss that it is there. Concur, prefer raw, however sometimes having a JPG when all that is needed is a JPG is good enough. Yup, hear from some about issues with the geofence unless you get a custom blanket unlock, otho, somethings are easier with the Autel, somethings with the DJI.

Oh you mean the screen grab feature...yes that's always been there, that's not really taking a JPG still, that's just saving a screen grab from the video. You can tell if you look at the file size and aspect ratio. You could do the exact same thing by just taking a screen grab from within your NLE. The GoPro on the other hand actually takes JPGs while shooting video, its one of the very few cameras that can do that. It uses your JPG picture profile and uses the entire sensor; unlike screen grabs.

None of my DJI drones support taking a photo while recording a video.

I was blown away to find the Autel Evo could, until I found out it is literally removing a frame from the video in order to do it :rolleyes:

So the Autel is doing screen grabs too? I didn't look at the files closely enough. I accidentally hit the camera shutter button instead of the video record button while recording video and captured a few JPGs but I deleted them as soon as I saw them on the memory card. I assumed they were full sensor readout stills like the GoPros will do.

That's another really good reason to never use that feature.....screen grab stills are even lower quality than full sensor readout stills not to mention they inherit the video profile you are shooting in so if you are shooting LOG the JPGs are unusable.

Last edited:
Reactions: PingSpike
Awesome shot!!!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan