Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Official firmware update is V2.0.12 As of 10\25\2017

Be sure you test this out in the field or outside of your house. The wifi overload in my house causes connection issues with the Autel, but outside it is all good.

Trust me, I have. For what it's worth I did my initial setup in my house and everything was fine until the other day. Also, the error occurred/began when I was outdoors and pretty far from any kind of man made interference (at least that I could see).

Just one quick question about firmware. Are the releases cumulative, or do you have to apply them in sequence? That answer may be available on the Autel site, but its SO much easier to ask you guys! ☺☺

Your welcome.
Its just over a month and we know about the jerky orbit problem. The bird orbits nice and smooth but the camera looks like it is trying to play catch up. Beta testers are all quit and I talk to Heath pretty much every other day and he would tell me if something is being tested but still nothing. Autel is either doing in house testing or they are stumped on how to fix this problem.
They use social media to get their word out but even that has been real quit lately other then some photo contest they are having and international customers are not welcome. This does not sit well with me.

I am starting to wonder if it will be another long winter with no updates.

I was out today doing more testing and noticed the gimbal shaking like a leaf until I formatted the SD card.....another V2.0 surprise.
Agustine I hope you're wrong about them being stumped....they may need to steal some more engineers from the 800 lb gorilla.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Trust me, I have. For what it's worth I did my initial setup in my house and everything was fine until the other day. Also, the error occurred/began when I was outdoors and pretty far from any kind of man made interference (at least that I could see).

It really sounds like you have an RF problem on the video link....in fact exactly like the issue I had, namely a bad 900 MHz antenna. Your downlink video receiver in the controller is looking at mostly noise because the video signal is probably down 30 or 40 dB due to a break in the xmitter antenna. Send it back in for repair if you haven't already.

So any idea when the "approved" version comes out? I thought is was supposed to be released months ago. I went to the beta site and the disclaimers scare me. Mine is still under warranty.

Testing beta does not affect your warranty. Autel has made many statements about this.

No one seems to know when it will be final. Guessing if this fixes the orbit jerky video then this might be final. Most likely they will let this run for a few weeks and see if anymore problems pop up.

Reactions: Squirrel!
It really sounds like you have an RF problem on the video link....in fact exactly like the issue I had, namely a bad 900 MHz antenna. Your downlink video receiver in the controller is looking at mostly noise because the video signal is probably down 30 or 40 dB due to a break in the xmitter antenna. Send it back in for repair if you haven't already.

Yeah when I read your post I thought it might be similar. I could literally touch the drone with my antenna and I still couldn't get video link. It's been over a week since I sent it in, and for what it's worth the customer service in terms of response has been great, but I'm still pretty bummed because I'm missing out on a few really cool shoots this weekend :(

Yeah when I read your post I thought it might be similar. I could literally touch the drone with my antenna and I still couldn't get video link. It's been over a week since I sent it in, and for what it's worth the customer service in terms of response has been great, but I'm still pretty bummed because I'm missing out on a few really cool shoots this weekend :(

Oh man....same thing happened to me....I shipped the unit out for repair the week I was going up to the Finger Lakes in NY state...missed out on some breath taking scenery.....now I have a backup unit I found on Ebay cheap.....didn't need any accessories or any more batteries so I scored a good deal on a controller and airframe......just waiting on some decent firmware now :(

Testing beta does not affect your warranty. Autel has made many statements about this.

No one seems to know when it will be final. Guessing if this fixes the orbit jerky video then this might be final. Most likely they will let this run for a few weeks and see if anymore problems pop up.

Really? Found this on the beta sign up page

The user understands that the component/drone covered by this agreement have not been fully developed and may cause unknown problems or defects. The user agrees to accept all damage and risk and will hold Autel Robotics and its companies harmless.

The user understands that the component/drone covered by this agreement have not been fully developed and may cause unknown problems or defects. The user agrees to accept all damage and risk and will hold Autel Robotics and its companies harmless.

For what it's worth, I'm on beta firmware, and they are repairing my drone at the moment.

Right from Autel's facebook page if you don't take my word for it.

"
Kenneth AR can you confirm (again) that the warranty still applies with the Open Beta? I have another conversation going in another group, and I can't find the several times this question has been answered. Thanks

Kenneth AR
Kenneth AR Group Moderator Yes, warranty is not affected by using the beta firmware" I know I've mentioned this in a few thread; using the beta does not affect warranty, it remains in full effect.

From the terms and conditions:

3) As the firmware is in beta release users should not use the beta firmware for commercial purposes. Autel Robotics cannot be held responsible for any losses, direct or indirect as a result of using beta firmware.

If you are a commercial user, I would think long and hard before using the beta firmware. Autel may be honoring the warranty, and that's great, but if you have an accident/incident that causes property damage or injury as a commercial operator, your insurance will likely be a different animal. Or you can just hope you don't have any accidents, and if you do, hope the insurance company doesn't start asking about firmware. Insurance companies thrive on finding ways to avoid paying for claims. As long as this firmware stays beta, commercial operators who are using it are essentially uninsured, even if they think they are.

This issue is the main reason why I'm still operating on ver 1.2.8, and why I'm increasingly concerned and frustrated about this mode that Autel is in where they just keep issuing beta releases instead of committing to an official release.

Last edited:
I'm increasingly concerned and frustrated about this mode that Autel is in where they just keep issuing beta releases instead of committing to an official release.
Personally, I prefer them have a perfect working FW before just sending out any old thing as a final version. Once final, this FW will be on EVERY new XSP produced in the future. They understandably want a stable product across all features.

From the terms and conditions:

If you are a commercial user, I would think long and hard before using the beta firmware. Autel may be honoring the warranty, and that's great, but if you have an accident/incident that causes property damage or injury as a commercial operator, your insurance will likely be a different animal. Or you can just hope you don't have any accidents, and if you do, hope the insurance company doesn't start asking about firmware. Insurance companies thrive on finding ways to avoid paying for claims. As long as this firmware stays beta, commercial operators who are using it are essentially uninsured, even if they think they are.

This issue is the main reason why I'm still operating on ver 1.2.8, and why I'm increasingly concerned and frustrated about this mode that Autel is in where they just keep issuing beta releases instead of committing to an official release.

From a FAA person.

Current by FAA definition is what it left the manufacture at or what ever the operator choses to update it to.

"Current" is interesting legal interpretation hard to explain on FB. Either version "could" be current.
The legal interpretation of "current" came out in 2007. Directly from an FAA employee that belongs and owns a Auel X-star on the OFFICIAL Autel Robotics Owners facebook page.

Steve Meisner

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2017-10-21-18-24-26-908.png

Personally, I prefer them have a perfect working FW before just sending out any old thing as a final version. Once final, this FW will be on EVERY new XSP produced in the future. They understandably want a stable product across all features.

Hopefully they aren't sending out any old thing as beta, either - but I understand what you're saying. It's still disappointing that commercial operators are effectively excluded from utilizing the beta's benefits because of the terms of use/insurance issue outlined above. Perhaps a more accurate expression of my complaint is that I wish they could remove that verbiage from the terms of use - I won't care if they keep the firmware in beta until the sun goes supernova as long as I can make the choice to install on my own without the commercial use restriction.

From a FAA person.

Current by FAA definition is what it left the manufacture at or what ever the operator choses to update it to.

"Current" is interesting legal interpretation hard to explain on FB. Either version "could" be current.
The legal interpretation of "current" came out in 2007. Directly from an FAA employee that belongs and owns a Auel X-star on the OFFICIAL Autel Robotics Owners facebook page.

Steve Meisner

View attachment 1453

Small world!! I recognized Steve's name immediately, and wondered if it was the same Steve I knew of, even before the signature line you attached confirmed it! He was the Director of Maintenance at Westwind School of Aeronautics in Phoenix while I was a student there to obtain a series of my pilot certificates in 2002-2003! He was a good, knowledgeable, down to earth guy then, and I'm sure he still is now. Not sure he would remember me by name, but he'll almost certainly remember an incident with a Cessna Cutlass and a "missing" rear window from when I was at the school. Glad to hear he's a fellow X-Star owner!

Anyway, I'm not sure I understand the context for the "current" definition he is referring to or how it can be applied here. I certainly agree with what he's saying about "current" for software for aircraft avionics, etc. But the counter-argument would be that there is never any beta software or firmware distributed or approved for use in aircraft. To try to explain simply: if software version 1 is superseded by version 2 at a later date for a piece of equipment, my aircraft is still current in the FAA's eyes regardless of whether I update or not, because both software versions have been approved for use by the FAA and/or manufacturer, unless otherwise expressly made obsolete. Regardless of an FAA definition of current and how it would be applied in a UAV for official firmware, I honestly don't know whether the FAA has even thought about how it would all apply to unofficial beta versions.

In this case, however, the manufacturer has specifically made the exception that the firmware should not be used for commercial operations. I know what most insurance carriers would say because I've asked the question while pretending to be shopping for coverage: "If It was determined that the aircraft was operating with firmware that was not an official release, it would invalidate coverage."

Had a discussion with support about regressing fw versions...you can't do it but his comment below seems to imply that a decision on full release fw is close...of course the decision can be let's stick with beta for another 6 months but we'll see.

"We are looking at moving the beta to the official release very soon and there may be a way to do it after that but I am not sure. Since it is Monday, we should have some updates in the next day or two about if the most recent Beta FW is being moved to the official version or not."

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kestrel