Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Maybe the best 7" now 8" tablet for drone flying? TRIPLTEK

Hi, I measured the current that the Tripltek tablet draws from the EVO II controller using the common USB A to USB-C cable, theTripltek reduced power cable, and home made adapters. The current draws:
Common cable = 0.808 A
Tripltek cable = 0.054 A
20 ohm resistor in ground line = 0.037 A
39 ohm resistor in ground line = 0.009 A

Each of these launch the Evo Explorer app, but I would use the 20 ohm resistor to ensure reliable connection.

If you want to make your own adapter and/or start a cottage industry selling adapters, here is the hardware source:

Regards,
Richard
Hi, I have been using a USB 20 ohm resistor in the ground line of adapters using the components described in the original post with good success in both my EVO ll 8k & 6k. However they are a little long (see photo), so I decided to make up some of those adapters in a shorter configuration using 12 ohm resistors. After assembling a few of the adapters, I noticed that I screwed up by putting the resistor in the Vcc line instead of the ground line. The more I thought about it, the more it seems reasonable to have current reduction in the Vcc line instead of the ground line. I tested the adapters and found that they worked perfectly. The current to the Tripltek Pro tablet was measured, 0.055 Amps, just great. Attached is a photo of my adapter assembly. They will be covered with shrink wrap.

It should be noted that the $40 Tripltek cable has a resistor of ~13 ohms in the ground line.

Regards,
Richard

Attachments

• Tripltek.JPG
    Tripltek.JPG
    656.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Adapter.JPG
    Adapter.JPG
    713.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: Quad808
Can anyone give me a few tablet holder recommendations for the new Tripltek 8. Because of my wrist problem, I need at as light as possible, but very sturdy. Thank You

Can anyone give me a few tablet holder recommendations for the new Tripltek 8. Because of my wrist problem, I need at as light as possible, but very sturdy. Thank You
The Tripltek 8 optional clamp is actually a great clamp... I added it with Tripltek 8 order, it fits from small phone to 11" iPad Pro. The above link kit includes the Tripltek Clamp. So the video shows you the clamp.
Very sturdy, great range in size... set the main slider, then sung down with top adjustor.

NOTE: Tripltek sent a email stating to remove the 2 Rubber back pads to allow a better fit for the Tripltek 8... it may help, but it works fine with the rubber pads too.

If you have any mount that will accept a 1/4" tripod screw then you're set.

I'm planning to use the Tripltek mount with several... DJI with MavMount, EVO, etc.

so the issues I am hearing about the tripltek 8 pro are..

compass calibration and accuracy concerns.. I believe the 7 inch also dealt with such issues for a time.. I know when I use tripltek 7 with navionics in my boat for navigation it does seems slightly off still

issues playing h.264/h.265 mp4 files ?

people having difficulty inserting and using memory cards.. I suspect that is just due to how careful you have to be doing so and that it has to be in there perfect..

do we have any updates on this stuff.. Tripltek ?

thank you

Last edited:
This is a great point, and something I ran into yesterday, when messing around with USB-C cables. The problem is the case around the connection on the tablet...its a little close and off center a bit. I have a cable that just barely won't fit, but you could get around it by shaving a small amount off the cable plastic(?) on one side. The other option is to use the included USB-C extension cable connected to the tablet. Thats what I am using for a DJI Mini setup, but with the EVO, I will plug directly into the tablet with a cable that fits. Of course you could always mod the tablet case just a small amount to make the hole wider around the USB-C slot, but I wouldn't. Just shave a bit off the side of the cable if need be. Don't need much to clear.

Hi Bart, I use the Sky Fire Aerial tablet holder for my EVO lls:
The actual Sky Fire Aerial tablet holder is very light weight, all the weight is the tablet. Get the deluxe model that allows two neck straps to relieve the weight.

Regards,
Richard

so the issues I am hearing about the tripltek 8 pro are..

compass calibration and accuracy concerns.. I believe the 7 inch also dealt with such issues for a time.. I know when I use tripltek 7 with navionics in my boat for navigation it does seems slightly off still

issues playing h.264/h.265 mp4 files ?

people having difficulty inserting and using memory cards.. I suspect that is just due to how careful you have to be doing so and that it has to be in there perfect..

do we have any updates on this stuff.. Tripltek ?

thank you
I can't speak for the compass calibration and accuracy....I don't use it like that. The mp4 file playback will be addressed by Tripltek. I can say that it is definitely NOT a hardware issue, and they know exactly what is causing this on high resolution files only. I have full confidence in Tripltek as a company that listens intently to its customers and will do whatever it takes to resolve any problems. We setup a call and had a great conversation about the company, this issue, and fixes that they are looking at. They are on it.
Memory cards - Its a little tricky, ONLY because the memory cards tend to pop out of the holder slightly as you put the sim tray into the tablet. You just have to make triple sure, the micro SD card is securely in the holder, and watch carefully when you insert the holder into the slot. I too had some trouble, but after diagnosing the issue, I was extremely careful and then the issue was gone, memory card was detected just fine - Sandisk 512G Ultimate: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P7M6K35/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This is a really fast card and no problems at all working in the tablet. Once you get the card in there, you probably won't be inserting and removing that often I figure. Transfer rates via the USB-C is great to and from the tablet connected to a PC.

This is really a big improvement over the 7" tablet. Screen resolution is great, no issues with touch sensitivity or installing and using any apps I have thrown at it. On the 7" tablet, the USB-C port was a little off center on that one, but the 8" its fine and you can use any USB-C cable. Going forward, there isn't any tablet like this on the market that I am aware of, as far as high resolution screen, high nits, with a large battery....AND it's an unlocked PHONE! Totally different than using an outdated DJI Crystal Sky that you can't customize or update for use with any drones other than DJI. Remember that with this tablet you can use it with any drone that has an android app. If you currently have the 7", should you upgrade it to the 8"? I highly recommend it. With the upgrade in the screen size, resolution and being a bit thinner...its a win. Tripltek took suggestions from its users and spent a large amount of time and effort getting this to market. Don't get me wrong, the Autel SC is great looking for an all in one solution, but if you are like me with multiple drones from different companies....you can use this for all of them.

Last edited:
I can't speak for the compass calibration and accuracy....I don't use it like that. The mp4 file playback will be addressed by Tripltek. I can say that it is definitely NOT a hardware issue, and they know exactly what is causing this on high resolution files only. I have full confidence in Tripltek as a company that listens intently to its customers and will do whatever it takes to resolve any problems. We setup a call and had a great conversation about the company, this issue, and fixes that they are looking at. They are on it.
Memory cards - Its a little tricky, ONLY because the memory cards tend to pop out of the holder slightly as you put the sim try into the tablet. You just have to make triple sure, the micro SD card is securely in the holder, and watch carefully when you insert the holder into the slot. I too had some trouble, but after diagnosing the issue, I was extremely careful and then the issue was gone, memory card was detected just fine - Sandisk 512G Ultimate: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P7M6K35/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This is a really fast card and no problems at all working in the tablet. Once you get the card in there, you probably won't be inserting and removing that often I figure. Transfer rates via the USB-C is great to and from the tablet connected to a PC.

This is really a big improvement over the 7" tablet. Screen resolution is great, no issues with touch sensitivity or installing and using any apps I have thrown at it. On the 7" tablet, the USB-C port was a little off center on that one, but the 8" its fine and you can use any USB-C cable. Going forward, there isn't any tablet like this on the market that I am aware of, as far as high resolution screen, high nits, with a large battery....AND it's an unlocked PHONE! Totally different than using an outdated DJI Crystal Sky that you can't customize or update for use with any drones other than DJI. Remember that with this tablet you can use it with any drone that has an android app. If you currently have the 7", should you upgrade it to the 8"? I highly recommend it. With the upgrade in the screen size, resolution and being a bit thinner...its a win. Tripltek took suggestions from its users and spent a large amount of time and effort getting this to market. Don't get me wrong, the Autel SC is great looking for an all in one solution, but if you are like me with multiple drones from different companies....you can use this for all of them.
thanks for the feedback. still on the fence (will have to see how it goes when used with nano). when you compare the 7" and the 8" and you recommend the upgrade based on high screen resolution, are you saying this translates into being able to see your video feedback much better while flying? as you know, some folks often complain when they are flying they can't quite always make out what they are seeing only to get home and review the footage and find out there's a lot more on the screen that your camera saw than you saw while in the field. does the 8" improve this aspect over the 7" in your opinion?

Great question. There is nothing wrong with the 7" other, than to me...the native screen resolution. The 8" is 2560 x 1600, the 7" is 1200 x 780, so basically double the resolution...no doubt you will see fine details better on the 8", with more, smaller pixels. The Evo II can transmit video back to the screen at max, 1920x1080, so the tablet will not have to downscale it at all. I don't know in real use if you would see a big difference for that application, for the video coming back from the drone. I tend to use 720 when flying, since it uses less bandwidth from the drone for smoother video reception.
However, for other uses the 8" screen is great....movie watching, web surfing etc. Just sharper overall, due to the higher resolution.

Don't get me wrong. If you are happy with the 7" for what your use is? No sense upgrade, unless you want to. The 8" is a nice to have, not necessary TOO have if you are happy with the 7". Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Maybe it would help with a side by side picture of a HD movie file (1080P) played back on both screens...but my 7" has an anti-glare screen on it, so wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison. The internal hardware is slightly better on the 8" over the 7" pro model, so I would expect about the same performance, with a slight edge to the 8".

2 features I love in the difference between the two....screen resolution and the 8" is bigger screen, but thinner and less bulky, while still giving good protection, like the 7".
You know....with most new models, there are improvements usually, but you have to determine if its worth the expense to upgrade.

Let me take a 2nd look at both side by side, but the comparison would be hard for me, due to the anti-glare screen on the 7" and not the 8", (but it comes with one in the box).

Ok, after looking at the two tablets side by side, even considering the 7" has a anti-glare screen on it...the 8" colors look a little more natural, but very very close. I think the 8" is a little better quality panel, but could be my eyes are deceiving me. I am reconsidering my resolution thinking. I thought there would be a bigger difference in the look of the screens playing back high rez photos, and or videos. Not much difference, that I can see. Both screens look good, and very, very close in quality. I suspect that to my eyes, the 7" appears to be 2nd place, but keep in mind it has an anti-glare screen on it, which affects how the screen looks. Way closer in quality playing back the same files than I thought they would be. I expected the higher resolution 8 to be a huge difference, as compared to the 7", but not really that much difference to me.
Hope this helps and is not even more confusing.

*Maybe this would help. If I had these side by side and wanted to take one to go fly with, I would automatically take the 8". Bigger screen, so wider view, lighter and sleeker.
But, there is nothing wrong with the 7". The 8" is just less "bulky".

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
thanks for checking. unfortunately im not using the tablet for anything other than a drone tablet since I have quite a few other tablets and iPads. I may ultimately end up getting the 8" but I have one more question pls. when I took a camping vacation, the only tablet it took was my tripltek 7". it was more than adequate for the rugged environment, I could toss it when I needed to, everything is solid and no fears that it would be destroyed like an iPad that wouldn't last one day in the woods. I like that the triptek is thick, heavy, solid, and reliable. can I expect that same look and feel from the 8" or am I back to making sure I don't put anything on top of the tablet when I slide it in my backpack. do I need to put the 8" in a case so it don't pull it out and find a shattered screen from too much constant pressure when wedged between the seats. this will let me know whether to keep the 7" or sell it.

Ok, after looking at the two tablets side by side, even considering the 7" has a anti-glare screen on it...the 8" colors look a little more natural, but very very close. I think the 8" is a little better quality panel, but could be my eyes are deceiving me. I am reconsidering my resolution thinking. I thought there would be a bigger difference in the look of the screens playing back high rez photos, and or videos. Not much difference, that I can see. Both screens look good, and very, very close in quality. I suspect that to my eyes, the 7" appears to be 2nd place, but keep in mind it has an anti-glare screen on it, which affects how the screen looks. Way closer in quality playing back the same files than I thought they would be. I expected the higher resolution 8 to be a huge difference, as compared to the 7", but not really that much difference to me.
Hope this helps and is not even more confusing.

*Maybe this would help. If I had these side by side and wanted to take one to go fly with, I would automatically take the 8". Bigger screen, so wider view, lighter and sleeker.
But, there is nothing wrong with the 7". The 8" is just less "bulky".
Hi Quad808, Have you noticed that the larger battery of the 8" draws down the Autel controller battery faster with an unmodified cable than the 7" tablet?

Also, the first thing that an owner of the 7" Tripltek tablet should do is to remove and throw away that matte screen protector. Removing the matte screen does wonders for sharpness and contrast. The 7" tablet has a Yx sun shield available that fits perfectly. I don't know if there is an equivalent sun shield for the 8".

IMO, unless Tripltek has a trade-in policy, I don't see the value in upgrading from the 7" to 8" Tripltek tablet.

Regards,
Richard

Hi, a photo of my two Tripltek Pro tables and Sky fire Aerial tablet mounts used with my EVO ll 6k and 8k drones. Also two photos of the Live Deck with Feelworld FW279 7" 2200 nits monitor.

In bright sunlight one can never have enough nits. Notice that I use sun shields on both the Tripltek and Feelworld monitor.

Regards,
Richard

Attachments

• Tripllek.JPG
    Tripllek.JPG
    700.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Live Deck.JPG
    Live Deck.JPG
    566.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Live Deck 1.JPG
    Live Deck 1.JPG
    615.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: PingSpike
thanks for checking. unfortunately im not using the tablet for anything other than a drone tablet since I have quite a few other tablets and iPads. I may ultimately end up getting the 8" but I have one more question pls. when I took a camping vacation, the only tablet it took was my tripltek 7". it was more than adequate for the rugged environment, I could toss it when I needed to, everything is solid and no fears that it would be destroyed like an iPad that wouldn't last one day in the woods. I like that the triptek is thick, heavy, solid, and reliable. can I expect that same look and feel from the 8" or am I back to making sure I don't put anything on top of the tablet when I slide it in my backpack. do I need to put the 8" in a case so it don't pull it out and find a shattered screen from too much constant pressure when wedged between the seats. this will let me know whether to keep the 7" or sell it.
I think its fair to say that the 8" offers the same protection as the 7", but just in a slimmer overall shell. You could say that the 8", due to the larger screen appears to have less "bumpers" when you look at them, but maybe thats just looks. I think the screen glass is the same as the 7", but need to check with Tripltek on that one. Any phone or tablet, I would protect the screen against anything sharp, like keys rubbing against it, unless you put on one of the thin, glass type screen protectors, then I wouldn't have any concerns at all. Even gorilla glass can be scratched, but the 8" is just as well built as the 7". I see no need to keep the tablet in a case, but maybe a fabric bag? Or what I usually do is use a micro fiber cloth and wrap it around the tablet, they put it in a backpack etc. Just being a little careful....did this the same with the 7".

Current draw from the RC....remember that the current is output from the RC, as it sees the charging request from the device/tablet. I haven't tested it, but if you aren't using a Tripltek cable on the 7" and everything works fine, the 8" would be no different. The battery is huge on these tablets, but Autel made adjustments to the max output from the RC, and that took away the early issues of the Explorer app not running great on the Triplteks when they first came out. While you don't "need" a cable, it would basically make the output from the RC close to zero. When out in the field its always good to carry a nice size cell phone charging battery....you can always connect up the RC and charge it, if needed. Since the tablet battery is so big, I don't think you would need to charge the tablet in the field, unless you are using it constantly over the course of many flight without charging it at all....don't know the run time of the tablet at full brightness. Sorry for not testing, so this specifically doesn't answer your question.

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson