Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

flickering?

alex_markov

Reaction score
I had viewers complains about flickering in my clips and just then I have noticed some flickering, especially when turning from/toward the sun - I think this is a rapid change of exposure but is annoying :(
Do You see it in Your footage?

Davinci Resolve 16 has a deflickering filter - slow but great results

I noticed it during the beta of 2.5.11 shooting at the sun with a timelapse. Its' still there in 2.5.12 when shooting at the sun in Auto mode. Try manual mode. I turn on Auto, aim the drone at the sun to get the settings it likes. Then I flip to manual mode and sort of leave it in those settings so its not trying to move it around on me. Just shot manual and auto in 6k at the sunrise this morning. The good news is I didn't see any flickers so maybe its more of a Hyperlapse thing. I also didn't have any ND filter on this morning so maybe the auto wasn't being messed up as much. There is an issue for sure though.

Reactions: alex_markov
I noticed it during the beta of 2.5.11 shooting at the sun with a timelapse. Its' still there in 2.5.12 when shooting at the sun in Auto mode. Try manual mode. I turn on Auto, aim the drone at the sun to get the settings it likes. Then I flip to manual mode and sort of leave it in those settings so its not trying to move it around on me. Just shot manual and auto in 6k at the sunrise this morning. The good news is I didn't see any flickers so maybe its more of a Hyperlapse thing. I also didn't have any ND filter on this morning so maybe the auto wasn't being messed up as much. There is an issue for sure though.
I tried yesterday with ae lock but flickering thou milder is here occasionally :(

Go to your video settings and set your flicking to 60hz.
I'll certainly try this thou I'll set it to 50 Hz but why, I always thought this is to remove the flickering of lamps working on 60 in US and 50 Hz in EU?

Yes 50 EU n US is 60. Try it n see if it helps in anyway.
You know I just find out I was switching ON antyflicker at 50 Hz - I switch it OFF and will try tomorrow - very well it might be related ;) :)

I had viewers complains about flickering in my clips and just then I have noticed some flickering, especially when turning from/toward the sun - I think this is a rapid change of exposure but is annoying :(
Flicker or no flicker...that's a beautiful place.

I tried yesterday with ae lock but flickering thou milder is here occasionally :(
Did you use the DR deflicker filter on this video? I see some slight image wavering associated with panning motion. I'm wondering if this is a result of the deflicker function working. I see this sometimes with post stabilization functions.
I agree with others above that Manual Exposure and ND filters work best (also Manual White Balance). That way you shouldn't need to use deflicker.

Alex, just a question, what are the abandoned building sites at the start of your clip? Nice video, by the way! ?

I believe the flickering is caused by a propeller interrupting the sun's rays striking the camera lens from the side.
Interesting theory, Wonder if a lenshood is called for in this instance, and if it can be actually installed, should be very light almost paper light

Last edited:
I was just binge watching your videos, and the flicckering was really making me nuts, made me want to put my EII for sale, truly I'm not joking, that makes an otherwise pretty good video useless. Love our scenery man, don't get me wrong, nothing to do with your work personally

Try using a fixed White Balance setting. Just had a discussion with someone where I realized that when I saw the flickering the White Balance was in auto mode as well. If you do everything manual, she does seem to do really well.
After changing my WB on some night shots the other night, I seemed to have less noticeable issues during the next daytime flight with flickering and colors.

Also, have you tried any ND Filter at least an ND16 for those sunny bright days?
I had only CPL filter but do not use it right now, but ND filters are a pain in the ** as I usually film at sunset when I need to remove them and Gimble goes crazy and tilt the horizon on any touch :( and need calibration... and sunset is gone ;)

Did you use the DR deflicker filter on this video? I see some slight image wavering associated with panning motion. I'm wondering if this is a result of the deflicker function working. I see this sometimes with post stabilization functions.
I agree with others above that Manual Exposure and ND filters work best (also Manual White Balance). That way you shouldn't need to use deflicker.
No, I used deflicker on published video - this one is "RAW" only LUT applied
I am with Manual white balance at 5400K, in this case AE lock (locked exposure) and I do not see how the filter can help but I'll try if I find one ;)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDroneTN