Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Unable to fly due to freezing Temp.

INteresting. I wonder if something like Rain-X would work at all.
Probably not good, rain-x is a polymer based coating as I remember and will not stay on propeller...Is a very high centrifuge force and if the coating is not attached on plastic mold, probably will go away in a few minutes.

Lately within minutes of being airborne in the cold morning the warning " Battery Temp too Cold "
forcing me to abort my mission !

Yesterday the warning changed to " Unable to charge due to colder temp "
Seems like it needs a wrap around to keep the battery from getting too cold !

Luckily the drone was 25 to 35 feet away from me and I quickly landed to avoid loosing my drone.

I live in the open area and it gets very windy so I don't fly not wanting to loose my drone.
12 pictures stitched with Microsoft ICE

I’ve had that happen too while the drone was on the ground. Temp was 18 degrees with no wind. After about a minute the alert went away and the flight went off without a hitch.

And I thought FL was bad, it doesn't go over 95 here but the endless rain kind of ruins the summer and fall. Between the heat, humidity, and rain it is only nice about 5 months out of the year here.
What part of Florida? Southern, Middle, Northern?

Lately within minutes of being airborne in the cold morning the warning " Battery Temp too Cold "
forcing me to abort my mission !

Yesterday the warning changed to " Unable to charge due to colder temp "
Seems like it needs a wrap around to keep the battery from getting too cold !

Luckily the drone was 25 to 35 feet away from me and I quickly landed to avoid loosing my drone.

I live in the open area and it gets very windy so I don't fly not wanting to loose my drone.
12 pictures stitched with Microsoft ICE
Have been flying EVO IIs outside during cold for over a year, even at down around -15 or lower (w/o windchill) by keeping batteries warm, have not seen that warning. Sounds like your batteries had been outside and allowed to get cold before flying. Keep them warm inside, install just before flying, you should not see that message unless they had been cold to start with.

As to the other warning, that sounds like the rectangular box message appears across top of screen of you app connected to your device. Thats not the drone, thats your controller and app device saying one cant charge the other. I get those when its cold, as long as both are charged and monitor their battery levels, you should be ok. These were taken yesterday and last night fwiw.StillFireIceAfternoonEvaLiftOff_012822awaw.pngStillFireIceNightEva_012822_0047awaw.png

Attachments

• StillFireIceAfternoonEvaLiftAtOff_012822aw.png
    StillFireIceAfternoonEvaLiftAtOff_012822aw.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
I’ve had that happen too while the drone was on the ground. Temp was 18 degrees with no wind. After about a minute the alert went away and the flight went off without a hitch.
I see that with the app device/controller when its cold, keeping aircraft batteries warm have not seen the other warning, at least with Autel. With DJI yes, especially the mini likes to complain about the cold given how light/thin it is. However have noticed gimbal sometimes takes longer to get ready when in the cold after a battery swap if there is a delay getting back up in the air.

Yeah I miss living in Florida. I used to live in Ocala(slooo-cala) and Leesburg, and near silver springs. Loved it, but as you noted, you can't avoid the rain! That is as certain as the sunrise almost everyday, especially in the summer in one manner or another. From all out downpours, to raining on your house on your side of the street, but my house being dry as a bone. I purchased the wet suit from Phantom Rain and have not installed it. I'm saving it for when flying in the conditions that it will be of the most use. Once it goes on you can't take it off.

We are considering moving back to Florida in the next 3-5 years. We have been in Vegas for almost 20yrs now and it has changed far to much from the wonderful place it once was.
I noted an issue on the Evo 2 Wetsuit and let Coal know about it via PM. The break in the neoprene around the plastic cap that looks like a vent midway between the front and the sensor pack at the back. The cap is snapped in, has no gasket and could easily be a source of ingress. He said that he would rework it and create some type of fix. You may want to check with him on it.

Reinforcing what some others have shared here. I live in the northeast and have flown a variety of drones (Karma, Anafi, Evo, Evo II) in very cold temps while hiking in the mountains. Here is a recent example: Black Mountain Hike via Chippewah Trail

I keep the drone and controller batteries warm on the inside of my jacket before flying and do the same with my action camera. Have rarely experienced cold temp problems except in a few cases with my Parrot Anafi -- and that's likely because the batteries have less mass and cool faster when exposed to severe cold. Flight times are less but if the batteries are warm enough to take-off they've never frozen in-flight in my experience. I don't fly in rain, fog, nor snow -- sounds like a good tip to wipe the blades with something to reduce ice build-up.

Reactions: gschulzuio
The issue with icing is to not fly when the dew point and the ambient air temperature are close. That's when there is enough humidity for ice to form. Dry cold temperatures are safe to fly in depending on wind and temperature conditions that may shorten battery life. Many people will fly in -25F (our northern Canada neighbors) without an issue.

I live in Florida and fly all the time including in one hurricane (not recommend though). when it rains i use the Swellpro spry. there is now a water pro fpv drone but have not tried it yet.

Isn't it common to drones in general that flying in very cold or in freezing temps we should expect it to have adverse effects on the battery and that the state of your battery can drop very rapidly, keeping you from having a safe return flight and watching your drone drop out of the sky out of know where. DJI had other batteries that included an integrated battery warmer so while flying, the battery integrated temp sensor and warmer would maintain temp of battery. Only down side was some sacrifice of over all additional power being used but you would at least be able to have a more accurate/practical way to inturpret how much flight time was left and a reliable way to return home.

Should we be requesting/asking this of Autel to keep marching towards the capabilities that DJI has had for some time now and allow us to fly in more adverse conditions? Maybe not 32 and below but something more reasonable? Is it available today for Autel batteries?

Yesterday we had heavy snow fall and today I went up and after taking 3 three sets of 12 pictures Panoramic without stitching I got the warning " Unable to charge " had to quickly abort my mission.

Autel has abandoned us the Autel EVO 2 Pro Flagship owners looking for greener pastures when their Flagship Drone has so far been EVO2 Pro and they refuse to listen and our requests are falling on Deaf ears !

Far too many little Stupid issues yet to be polished to be called a Top Winner yet they ignore us and keep making other models when they really need to finish off EVO2 Pro as a Videographers Dream Drone, so far its only good for Photographers and not good with their Jerky movements for video !

Give us the choice to dial in 0 seconds to 8 seconds gradual speed with a delay factor for smoother video shots.
Next we want a "Plane" that tells us all the time where the drone is facing with regards to the remote direction !
Before the drone suddenly shoots to return to Home on its own let it flash the screen for 6 seconds before it shoots with bigger Cancel, easier to click on to Cancel it !

How many times do we need to keep repeating this !
I was lucky that I had propeller guards that saved my drone when it went crazy and shot in to a home !
**--** Beef up a bit more the propeller guards joints for far better crash protection and include it with each of your Flagship EVO2 Pro.
You conned us with a battery that failed to deliver under any situation 40 minutes now you show your goodness by offering each EVO2 Pro owner a additional overly priced battery. I have two EVO2 Pro so be sure to ship 2 batteries.
These propellers are far too noisy, offer us a set of better less noisy propellers.
**--** Give us the choice if we want to stitch Panorama while flying, if after taking all the Panoramic pictures I don't click any thing then the drone automatically should be ready for yet another Panorama and if I want to stitch then I click Stitch only !
Don't misinterpret and screw it ! !
DJI Air 2 for $700 can give a smoother zoom then why can't you for $1700 give us smooth zoom instead of Autel's Jerky 1X, 2X, 3X, 4X. Videographers like me don't touch your Stupid Zoom for your great Autel's Jerky Moves and zooms.
We have turned to be your field lab so listen carefully. Amen.

Attachments

• CE Jan 29th Snow 2022MAX_0001_12 pic Sat 66 harp 151-5.2 Sm Sky Sat 44.jpg
    CE Jan 29th Snow 2022MAX_0001_12 pic Sat 66 harp 151-5.2 Sm Sky Sat 44.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • ICE January 29th snow 2022 MAX_0028_12 pic Sat 66 Sharp 151-5.2 Sm.jpg
    ICE January 29th snow 2022 MAX_0028_12 pic Sat 66 Sharp 151-5.2 Sm.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Isn't it common to drones in general that flying in very cold or in freezing temps we should expect it to have adverse effects on the battery and that the state of your battery can drop very rapidly,
Yes
keeping you from having a safe return flight and watching your drone drop out of the sky out of know where.
Yes, you have to account for the cold weather, lower battery performance, keep batteries warm before flight, raise your low battery threshold, keep flights shorter, plan around temp and wind.
DJI had other batteries that included an integrated battery warmer so while flying, the battery integrated temp sensor and warmer would maintain temp of battery.
DJI only has this on the more expensive high-end models, as well as higher end Mavic Enterprise models. You wont find built in battery warmers in the mainstream Mavics on down.
Only down side was some sacrifice of over all additional power being used but you would at least be able to have a more accurate/practical way to inturpret how much flight time was left and a reliable way to return home.
Good point, you are trading power to keep batteries warm, its a tradeoff, however have multiple batteries, keep them warm, plan accordingly, you can fly in cold temps (e.g around 0F or lower).
Should we be requesting/asking this of Autel to keep marching towards the capabilities that DJI has had for some time now and allow us to fly in more adverse conditions?
Maybe for the Autel enterprise line would be a nice options, otoh, prefer they keep it off of the mainstream products due to price considerations.
Maybe not 32 and below but something more reasonable? Is it available today for Autel batteries?
Flew last night around 0F, last week in the -teens F, I keep flights shorter, plan accordingly and keep the batteries warm. Flew today it was a balmy 15-20F, just watch your battery levels and plan to be coming back for landing sooner than you otherwise would.

Yes, and in addition to above I would aslo say that the cost depends on where you are buying and what is considered too expensive. As an example yes the battery was for enterprise models but also worked equally on the Mavic 2s which was a very popular work horse. (Would be nice if it worked out that way for Autel in future.) The DJI Enterprise battery was identical physically and spec wise. Maybe only a 4 gram difference in weight plus the extra temp and warmer features. Price was maybe max $40 more depending on your shopping habits. You also don't need these in your arsenal as every single battery you have.

I'm all for the pre prep as you are recommending despite having or not having a battery warmer. It would seem to be a common sense must. I have seen drones do some strange things out of no where in semi cold temps. Just for encouraging the newer Autel to aim higher than older DJI tech.

Flying reliably in 0 degree teens weather is very impressive BTW

I'm all for the pre prep as you are recommending despite having or not having a battery warmer.

Flying reliably in 0 degree teens weather is very impressive BTW
No need for a battery warmer, I just have them at room temp, put them in their padded case, keep the case covered while in vehicle to stay warm, minimize case open and other batteries exposed to cold, keep case with extra batteries inside vehicle where warmer until needed. Enjoy the cold...

January 31st 2022 I went out to capture the Sunrise in 20* temp and captured 3 Panoramic pictures with out stitching and on the 4th one the video feed froze on my cell and it refused to take any picture.
Got No warning at all so I quickly activated RTH.
**--** It took awfully long time before I got GPS lock up, I was walking around with my remote raised up in the air trying and hoping for GPS signal.
I'm back home.
Little Stupid Autel issues are messing up the Autel EVO2 Pro from being a " Flagship Drone "
I am lucky the drone was never too far from me or else I could have L O S T my drone with my LCD going Blank.
**--** The question is if I had lost due to Autel Stupid issue that are un fixed who would replace my drone knowing their Customers service is non-existent !

Autel has abandoned us the Autel EVO 2 Pro Flagship owners looking for greener pastures when their Flagship Drone has so far been EVO2 Pro and they refuse to listen and our requests are falling on Deaf ears !

Far too many little Stupid issues yet to be polished to be called a Top Winner yet they ignore us and keep making other models when they really need to finish off EVO2 Pro as a Videographers Dream Drone, so far its only good for Photographers and not good with their Jerky movements for video !

Give us the choice to dial in 0 seconds to 8 seconds gradual speed with a delay factor for smoother video shots.
Next we want a "Plane" that tells us all the time where the drone is facing with regards to the remote direction !
Before the drone suddenly shoots to return to Home on its own let it flash the screen for 6 seconds before it shoots with bigger Cancel, easier to click on to Cancel it !

I was lucky that I had propeller guards that saved my drone when it went crazy and shot in to a home !
**--** Beef up a bit more the propeller guards joints for far better crash protection and include it with each of your Flagship EVO2 Pro.
You conned us with a battery that failed to deliver under any situation 40 minutes now you show your goodness by offering each EVO2 Pro owner a additional overly priced battery. I have two EVO2 Pro so be sure to ship 2 batteries.
These propellers are far too noisy, offer us a set of better less noisy propellers.
**--** Give us the choice if we want to stitch Panorama while flying, if after taking all the Panoramic pictures I don't click any thing then the drone automatically should be ready for yet another Panorama and if I want to stitch then I click Stitch only !
DJI Air 2 for $700 can give a smoother zoom then why can't you for $1700 give us smooth zoom instead of Autel's Jerky 1X, 2X, 3X, 4X. Videographers like me don't touch your Stupid Zoom for your great Autel's Jerky Moves and zooms.

**--** Autel you better be listening for you got two choices:
Get your act together, fire a few jerks on your payroll doing nothing productive and fix the issues so we can openly declare Autel the Best Drome Manufacturer.

Or

Go out of Business and I'll be sure to help you just like you helped me so far.

You decide ! !

Attachments

• ICE Jan 31st 2022 Sunrise MAX_0001_12 pic Sat 66 Cu Sm.jpg
    ICE Jan 31st 2022 Sunrise MAX_0001_12 pic Sat 66 Cu Sm.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • ICE Jan 31st 2022 Sunrise MAX_0013_12 pic Sat 66 Sharp 151-5.2 Sm.jpg
    ICE Jan 31st 2022 Sunrise MAX_0013_12 pic Sat 66 Sharp 151-5.2 Sm.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • ICE Jan 31st 2022 Sunrise MAX_0026_12 pic Sat 66 sharp 151-5.2 Sm.jpg
    ICE Jan 31st 2022 Sunrise MAX_0026_12 pic Sat 66 sharp 151-5.2 Sm.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • MAX_0025 12 pic at 66 Sharp 151-5.2 Sm.jpg
    MAX_0025 12 pic at 66 Sharp 151-5.2 Sm.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
January 31st 2022 I went out to capture the Sunrise in 20* temp and captured 3 Panoramic pictures with out stitching and on the 4th one the video feed froze on my cell and it refused to take any picture.
Got No warning at all so I quickly activated RTH.
**--** It took awfully long time before I got GPS lock up, I was walking around with my remote raised up in the air trying and hoping for GPS signal.
I'm back home.
Little Stupid Autel issues are messing up the Autel EVO2 Pro from being a " Flagship Drone "
I am lucky the drone was never too far from me or else I could have L O S T my drone with my LCD going Blank.
**--** The question is if I had lost due to Autel Stupid issue that are un fixed who would replace my drone knowing their Customers service is non-existent !

**--** Autel you better be listening for you got two choices:
Get your act together, fire a few jerks on your payroll doing nothing productive and fix the issues so we can openly declare Autel the Best Drome Manufacturer.

Or

Go out of Business and I'll be sure to help you just like you helped me so far.

You decide ! !
In all candor, sounds like you got the ultimate lemon E2P which based on what you have described, I would get rid of it, and get something else that provides a better experience.

Greetings Gschulzuio, if thats what you think then I'll switch to another Autel EVO2 Pro brand new just sitting here from tomorrow and see how that one does to compare it !
Maybe you have a point, who knows until I try.
Thanks.
Ajay

Greetings Gschulzuio, if thats what you think then I'll switch to another Autel EVO2 Pro brand new just sitting here from tomorrow and see how that one does to compare it !
Maybe you have a point, who knows until I try.
Thanks.
Ajay
Yup, if you have another E2P, thats even better, give that a try see how it behaves. I have an E2P and regular E2(8K) and have swapped the cameras between them in the past to see how some things compare, if any quirks follow a camera or stay with the aircraft/airframe. Also if you have not done so, upload your logs to airdata where you can see things like signal loss or degradation and other things. Likewise, there is a player where you can replay your mission, see aircraft status, link status, control stick actions, photos being captured among other things that might help zero in on what ever the challenge is.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles