Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Cold Weather Enclosure and walkable - UnderTheWeather WalkingPods

Dougcjohn

Reaction score
OK, new one on me... I guess with a little research it was on Shark Tank in 2017 and got a lot of excitement.
Each Winter, I freeze my hands.. fingers & thumbs get cold real quick on the sticks.
I'm always looking for some means to keep my hands warm (ears, nose, etc) on cold windy days.
I've looked at various RC Radio bags... simply not very functional with Table on RC.
I've even looked at a few pop-up Hatch-Tents for a temporary flight station...but it still requires you to walk outside.
Plus... what ever the device... needs to be quick to setup & take-down.

This thing... the "WalkingPod" looks absolutely ridiculous, BUT... so awesome functionality too!
It allows you to hold RC & Tablet in hand, while keeping arms, hands, face inside a warmer environment... a bubble.
They say it's about 35F warmer inside on cold days due to body heat.
Place a HandWarmer pack or Battery Hand Warmer inside or in pocket to help future.

Offered in 2 lengths... Reg & Tall. The Tall is 11" longer. Not sure why you need the tall, I'm 6'8" height and I like the Reg size so you can sit in a chair on-site while prepping for mission.
The Tall is more knee length... and if one can be critical in naivety, it's adds to the ridiculous look compared to the butt length of the regular. Walking around a city block consturction watching the drone; with a knee length neon yellow bubble... Nah! Now a Butt-Length... sure! Don't Judge! LOL!

Something to consider for the Cold Windy Days!
Also an Insect Version for the Ag or Ditch buggy days!

On their site, they sell quite a few interesting models for other purposes.

Under The Weather

walkingPod.png

walkingPod2.pngWalkingPod3.png

Last edited:
Reactions: gschulzuio
Those are interesting devices, wonder how they would handle a 15-20mph wind or 20-30gust?

Otoh, some cold wx tips:

Get a good warm pair of gloves that actually work with touchpad screens. Have tried many different ones, when above freeze I use FRDM free fit midweight gloves that have flip off finger tip covers. For really cold, Get a pair of Mosi Digits Gloves (light gray), learned about them here in one of the threads, got a pair, have ordered another backup pair. They are amazing, work good even with Autel small icons on their app displays. Week or so ago used them at 8F and they were great.

Something else to get and have in your pocket is something like the Saferell USB rechargable handwarmer, or Karecel USB rechargable handwarmer (there are many other models, options). I use these when cold and not wearing gloves, also when very cold and wearing gloves.

In the wintertime especially when it gets well below freezing wind is a PITA so having a wind block that wont tip over on you when flying, as well as providing shelters for takeoff and landing is handy.

For some projects Im able to use my truck as a wind block, have also found having 2'x2' (or larger) boards that can lean against truck and ground cuts down on cold wind flow from under truck, that also helps reduce wind in your takeoff/landing area. Speaking of which, I also have 2'x2' wood pads, one for aircraft to takeoff/land from if needed, another to standon vs. standing on cold/frozen ground.

Of course, as long as you can maintain VLOS and good signal, be able to get out quick and freely operate your control, sitting in a warm vehicle is not unheard of.

Those are interesting devices, wonder how they would handle a 15-20mph wind or 20-30gust?

Otoh, some cold wx tips:

Get a good warm pair of gloves that actually work with touchpad screens. Have tried many different ones, when above freeze I use FRDM free fit midweight gloves that have flip off finger tip covers. For really cold, Get a pair of Mosi Digits Gloves (light gray), learned about them here in one of the threads, got a pair, have ordered another backup pair. They are amazing, work good even with Autel small icons on their app displays. Week or so ago used them at 8F and they were great.

Something else to get and have in your pocket is something like the Saferell USB rechargable handwarmer, or Karecel USB rechargable handwarmer (there are many other models, options). I use these when cold and not wearing gloves, also when very cold and wearing gloves.

In the wintertime especially when it gets well below freezing wind is a PITA so having a wind block that wont tip over on you when flying, as well as providing shelters for takeoff and landing is handy.

For some projects Im able to use my truck as a wind block, have also found having 2'x2' (or larger) boards that can lean against truck and ground cuts down on cold wind flow from under truck, that also helps reduce wind in your takeoff/landing area. Speaking of which, I also have 2'x2' wood pads, one for aircraft to takeoff/land from if needed, another to standon vs. standing on cold/frozen ground.

Of course, as long as you can maintain VLOS and good signal, be able to get out quick and freely operate your control, sitting in a warm vehicle is not unheard of.
Great tips! I have tried several gloves... touch screen and finger cut-out flip ups. None are my preference, I normally remove gloves during flight which is my problem & cold. But always looking for a great pair... I'll check those out!

I do use a high wattage hand warmer, and they've been extremely helpful to revive cold fingers. Mine are pretty hot, in pocket too hot... so I normally have a hand muff... has a strap that fastens to torso like a belly bag. Place hand warmer inside and stick in hands... toasty.

I did order 1 standard, 1 tall... the tall is not usable to me... it's like a skirt to knees restricting leg stride. The regular one is crouch level and very walkable. I'm 6'8" and plenty of room to hold a radio inside... actually another plus with the short, you can place things on the floor section that's elastic around your legs. Gloves, or other lighter objects. Even place radio (Inspire RC) while you adjust straps or remove gloves.

My main issue... it feels like it leans a bit more forward than photos. The roof section does interfere with upward vision some... but it does work for upward-forward vision... normally where you watch a drone in flight.

I stood out in driveway ( got a few odd looks and laughs from neighbors) in 25-30mph winds... it moves around on you some but doesn't move my body around... it's not very broad to catch much more wind than my own back; it's shoulder wide for my height.

Regarding movement on body... when you slip it on... similar to putting on a hooded sweatshirt... you slip your arms through the straps... backpack straps that control the height above your head.

Overall negatives, it does restrict vision some, it does feel a little restrictive in movement, in wind it does make a little noise, it is a little combersum to gear up with coat on.

Desired... for sUAV service, would be better to provide more clear roof in ft section.

Overall positive... it is a heck of a lot warmer that exposed hands, face, ears... jacket doesn't need to be fully zipped up. Best solution I've found to stay warm in windy cold days. It does re-pack easy... once you practice the technique; Similar folding a Hoodman's Landing pad.
You can stick arms out through double flapped circular cutouts. The zippers to open and fold windows are quality.

Good option to consider for cold fly days if the "cold" is higher priority than "looks" to onlookers... it is a ridiculous silly look to those that don't work in the cold.

Reactions: gschulzuio
Great tips! I have tried several gloves... touch screen and finger cut-out flip ups. None are my preference, I normally remove gloves during flight which is my problem & cold. But always looking for a great pair... I'll check those out!

I do use a high wattage hand warmer, and they've been extremely helpful to revive cold fingers. Mine are pretty hot, in pocket too hot... so I normally have a hand muff... has a strap that fastens to torso like a belly bag. Place hand warmer inside and stick in hands... toasty.

I did order 1 standard, 1 tall... the tall is not usable to me... it's like a skirt to knees restricting leg stride. The regular one is crouch level and very walkable. I'm 6'8" and plenty of room to hold a radio inside... actually another plus with the short, you can place things on the floor section that's elastic around your legs. Gloves, or other lighter objects. Even place radio (Inspire RC) while you adjust straps or remove gloves.

My main issue... it feels like it leans a bit more forward than photos. The roof section does interfere with upward vision some... but it does work for upward-forward vision... normally where you watch a drone in flight.

I stood out in driveway ( got a few odd looks and laughs from neighbors) in 25-30mph winds... it moves around on you some but doesn't move my body around... it's not very broad to catch much more wind than my own back; it's shoulder wide for my height.

Regarding movement on body... when you slip it on... similar to putting on a hooded sweatshirt... you slip your arms through the straps... backpack straps that control the height above your head.

Overall negatives, it does restrict vision some, it does feel a little restrictive in movement, in wind it does make a little noise, it is a little combersum to gear up with coat on.

Desired... for sUAV service, would be better to provide more clear roof in ft section.

Overall positive... it is a heck of a lot warmer that exposed hands, face, ears... jacket doesn't need to be fully zipped up. Best solution I've found to stay warm in windy cold days. It does re-pack easy... once you practice the technique; Similar folding a Hoodman's Landing pad.
You can stick arms out through double flapped circular cutouts. The zippers to open and fold windows are quality.

Good option to consider for cold fly days if the "cold" is higher priority than "looks" to onlookers... it is a ridiculous silly look to those that don't work in the cold.
No worries, like thks for the info.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials