Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drone crash when battery went from 21% to 0% in 10 seconds...

Care to post more details?
Did you charge before flight?
From previous experience, I make sure that
1) all the batteries have the correct firmware
2) all the batteries are fully charged
3) the battery in use is slotted in correctly
3) all the props are in good condition
I then start the drone and do a few weird moves (up down sideways etc) just to check if all is in order
I do a RTH setting and then only do I fly out.
I was about 200m out and 30m high when I turned back. As it was returning, I got a RTH warning. I cancelled it as the drone was a mere 60m away and continued returning. At about 30m distance it just fell out of the sky. Battery still 70%, RC disconnected. I could not use 'Find my Drone' as the RC indicated that it was not available. I tried to locate through the GPS coordinated with my other phone without luck.
Everything was ok and then suddenly the drone goes haywire.

I then start the drone and do a few weird moves (up down sideways etc) just to check if all is in order
I was about 200m out and 30m high when I turned back. As it was returning, I got a RTH warning. I cancelled it as the drone was a mere 60m away and continued returning. At about 30m distance it just fell out of the sky. Battery still 70%, RC disconnected. I could not use 'Find my Drone' as the RC indicated that it was not available. I tried to locate through the GPS coordinated with my other phone without luck.
Once again, fully charged means? ...did you charge them before going out or it just showed as charged?

This thread reminds me... I need to check the screws in the props on my new Nano+ just to make sure they are torqued in correctly. It's an easy thing to miss.

Reactions: lifeisfun
This thread reminds me... I need to check the screws in the props on my new Nano+ just to make sure they are torqued in correctly. It's an easy thing to miss.
No kidding ...never done that :eek: 😅

EDIT: Just did, and it's weird how even with the screw tight the prop is wiggling on the shaft it self ( all of them)

Reactions: Eagle928
Care to post more details?
Did you charge before flight?
It surely is. I am waiting to see what the Autel Support guys come up with. It should be a replacement as I did all the necessary pre-flight song and dance and flew it very cautiously.

It surely is. I am waiting to see what the Autel Support guys come up with. It should be a replacement as I did all the necessary pre-flight song and dance and flew it very cautiously.

I don't think you had a battery failure unless it was just not seated properly in the drone. When battery failures typically occur, the time remaining drops rapidly but it doesn't fall out of the sky until it shows 0% remaining. The RTH trigger is interesting, it detected something was wrong but it seems like it had no way to tell you what was wrong.

What temperature was it outside? In very cold temps all kinds of sudden problems can occur to drones; both battery and non battery related.

I don't think you had a battery failure unless it was just not seated properly in the drone. When battery failures typically occur, the time remaining drops rapidly but it doesn't fall out of the sky until it shows 0% remaining. The RTH trigger is interesting, it detected something was wrong but it seems like it had no way to tell you what was wrong.

What temperature was it outside? In very cold temps all kinds of sudden problems can occur to drones; both battery and non battery related.
I am not sure what it was. After crashing, the RC flashed red. The battery certainly was seated properly. I had that issue once, hence the pre-flight check. It was a sunny afternoon (18:30) and the temperature was about 30DegC. So no failure due to temperature.

Oh, I hear ya, and some kind of warning system should be built into the system. One wonders why this hasn't been done. Perhaps there's a good reason. If so I'd like to hear it.
Exactly. When the battery is discharging faster than normal, it should give the user a warning to say that the battery is "not quite right." And give the user a chance to land or return immediately.

Reactions: BillD
Yep, had the same 1 week ago. Drone is gone. Fell into swamp area. I sent all the info to Autel Support. Not really confident that I will get any reply.
I will be interested to see how you get on with Autel. I hope they replace yours so I can do the same with mine. There is no way I am flying my drone + battery combination any more.

I will be interested to see how you get on with Autel. I hope they replace yours so I can do the same with mine. There is no way I am flying my drone + battery combination any more.
The main goal should be to find out why this happened in the first place.

No kidding ...never done that :eek: 😅

EDIT: Just did, and it's weird how even with the screw tight the prop is wiggling on the shaft it self ( all of them)
They are designed that way so you don't have to spread the props before flight. On my Evo 2P the props are tight so if you don't spread them out by hand the drone is going to do some gymnastics until it crashes. No need to ask me how I know. ;)

Reactions: lifeisfun
you said "I got a RTH warning" my question is: was it a low-battery RTH warning?

Once again, fully charged means? ...did you charge them before going out or it just showed as charged?
I was under the impression that a completely charged and balanced battery cycle is when the lights go out. Is that not the case?

Hi team:

So I did a short flight yesterday with my Nano plus (10month old). Taking off with a battery showing 61%. All is well until RTH is trigger when the battery is down to 24% after 5 minutes of flying. So I immediately started to fly back in a straight line. The battery was down to 21% when all of a sudden it dropped to 0% and my drone crashed (see screenshot attached). Luckily it crashed on a grass area but now the drone legs x 2 are partially broken. The flying condition was calm, temp is 28degree C. I pulled the log and there was no warning about the battery. The battery is used less than 25 times!

This incident completely destroyed my confidence in flying this drone....

My questions:

1) does anyone have this issues before?
2) will Autel repair the damage + replace the battery (assume it was faulty)?

Thanks guys

Oz
I had the same problem last weekend but to add to the issue my remote disconnected from my phone as it was landing and it landed in the lake only 10 meters away from Home. Also on low battery after a short flight that started with 70% battery. and in RTH mode.
I retrieved it, dried it out and it’s stuffed.
At the moment I have a ticket open with Autel warranty. I’ll keep you posted.

I do believe that you should be able to purchase a drone (only) to replace damaged or sunk drones. If they are out of warranty. But you can’t.

I am not sure what it was. After crashing, the RC flashed red. The battery certainly was seated properly. I had that issue once, hence the pre-flight check. It was a sunny afternoon (18:30) and the temperature was about 30DegC. So no failure due to temperature.
Mine is also sunny afternoon 26 degree. Calm wind. Battery is seated properly.
you said "I got a RTH warning" my question is: was it a low-battery RTH warning?
My RTH is a low-battery warning.
I had the same problem last weekend but to add to the issue my remote disconnected from my phone as it was landing and it landed in the lake only 10 meters away from Home. Also on low battery after a short flight that started with 70% battery. and in RTH mode.
I retrieved it, dried it out and it’s stuffed.
At the moment I have a ticket open with Autel warranty. I’ll keep you posted.
How do you open a ticket with Autel?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials