Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

The New Upcoming Autel Robotics EVO 2 Discussion Thread

You reminded me of YouTuber Dustin Dunnill... That guy made a mod with a Parrot disco using 4G LTE data and li-ion batteries. Was able to reach 16 miles... It was an impressive video to watch.

I’m with Ansia on this. 16 miles would be great if you were doing a mission to map—photographically or thermally—an agricultural or factory site that required a number of passes.

Other specs:
  • Flight time on the new Autel Evo 2 is 35 minutes.
  • Top speed of 44 mph
  • Operating distance of 16 miles
  • 360-degree obstacle avoidance (omnidirectional binocular vision sensing system)
  • No geo-fencing
  • Remote controller with OLED screen built-in
  • Autel Explorer app
  • 90-minute charge time
  • GPS and ATTI flight modes
  • Go Home function
  • Accurate Landing feature
  • Starpoint Positioning System
  • Smart Tracking
  • Viewpoint
  • Gesture Commands
  • Take-off weight 1000 grams or 2 lb 3 oz
I really sought it's 16 miles

Maybe it uses the ionosphere to reflect signals and 16 miles is aircraft battery limited.... let's just see what comes out next month

It all depends on the ticket of the plane.
16 miles for one way.
16 miles for a non-stop round trip .............:)

With what everyone is hearing about....think this thing will be more than $1800?

Given the specs of the cameras, I think we will surely not be far from that.
Good remains to be seen, if it will stay under the price of DJI!

If interested, the EVO 2 manual...
It’s a great tech craft... and although it’s minor... the drawings in manual, and various photos... it’s not a sleek or sexy craft, kinda Duckly.

Reactions: Windluv
To come back to this distance miles story, I think the calculation was done on the basis of 903 mHz which is roughly my spreadsheet.
spec evo 2.JPG
Based on 26 Dbm in 902 mHz with an antenna of 6 Dbi (that of the radio I think), I get 4.1 miles
Capture 902.JPG

On the other hand in 2400 mHz, one goes down quickly to 1.5 miles
Capture 2400 6dbi.JPG

but what is interesting is when replacing the antennas of the radio by 10 Dbi, one more than doubles the range.
Capture 2400 10dbi.JPG

Reactions: Ansia
I've been following threads about the evo 2 in multiple forums and I think that 16 mile range is the distance it potentially could cover within the 100 - 0% battery life and not an actual one way distance.
The 6k version makes the most sense for most people. Hoping this comes in at the Mavic 2 Zoom $ or at least undercuts the pro.
Dont care how it looks and dont see why it matters at >$1000 market as long as it out performs DJI.
I dont think skydio is an apples to apples comparison with either Autel or DJI. I am very curious if DJI is going to try and put out a separate product to try and duke it out with Skydio. I believe they would have to charge way too much to put out a Mavic 3 that also included tech that could do what skydio is doing.

In this day and age i find myself asking if DJI really was surprised by Autel or Skydios recent announcements/products. When I look up Autel it says it's a Chinese company. When I look up Skydio its manufactured in the states but (and I'm hoping I'm wrong) my bet is most of the parts are sourced from China.
What i'm also alluding to is it just seems like everyone is hacking everyone these days. As far as I can tell theres no way of stopping it and if it's becoming the norm to get ahead then everyone is going to do it.
What got me thinking about this is posts/videos stating DJI was surprised by all of this like they never saw these products coming (or at least so soon) and I'm skeptical. I see multiple announcements saying the Mavic 3 is going to be released in Jan 2020.
My Evo is good enough for what I use it for which means I can go with the wait and see approach for now.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
I've been following threads about the evo 2 in multiple forums and I think that 16 mile range is the distance it potentially could cover within the 100 - 0% battery life and not an actual one way distance.
The 6k version makes the most sense for most people. Hoping this comes in at the Mavic 2 Zoom $ or at least undercuts the pro.
Dont care how it looks and dont see why it matters at >$1000 market as long as it out performs DJI.
I dont think skydio is an apples to apples comparison with either Autel or DJI. I am very curious if DJI is going to try and put out a separate product to try and duke it out with Skydio. I believe they would have to charge way too much to put out a Mavic 3 that also included tech that could do what skydio is doing.

In this day and age i find myself asking if DJI really was surprised by Autel or Skydios recent announcements/products. When I look up Autel it says it's a Chinese company. When I look up Skydio its manufactured in the states but (and I'm hoping I'm wrong) my bet is most of the parts are sourced from China.
What i'm also alluding to is it just seems like everyone is hacking everyone these days. As far as I can tell theres no way of stopping it and if it's becoming the norm to get ahead then everyone is going to do it.
What got me thinking about this is posts/videos stating DJI was surprised by all of this like they never saw these products coming (or at least so soon) and I'm skeptical. I see multiple announcements saying the Mavic 3 is going to be released in Jan 2020.
My Evo is good enough for what I use it for which means I can go with the wait and see approach for now.
Your assumptions I tend to agree with... if it's China (Autel) manufacturing, then DJI has knowledge of it in some fashion prior to market. If the Skydio is actually USA only... I'd still assume there is knowledge tidbits circulating behind the scenes. Both products are a "leap frog" above current DJI offerings, and I've pondered if DJI took the approach not to throw a product into the mix to divert attention... Yet, market success is often timing of release. DJI may elect to offer a competing product at a different timing of release, they may want to assess the public's reaction to the new platforms. They held back when Skydio 1st version released, and didn't pursue that direction because it wasn't a very successful market direction. If it was actually a "blind side wakeup" for DJI, that may provide a short competitive advantage but I don't see DJI accepting a backseat to new technology when the technology is marking a new series of potential platforms.

It is apparent that both Skydio 2 & EVO 2 will have their limelight markets, and it's technology in both crafts that are well deserved to be recognized. But at the same time, I'm curious as to the products that may be released this Summer or Fall by DJI if their market is threatened.

I agree.
It's also common practice if you are the market leader to not release said products latest greatest all at once if theres $ to be made on piecemeal upgrades.
I havent looked up the history of how DJI ended up with such a high % of the market. I've heard some unflattering stories about DJI but they may be just that... stories.
It's been said that everyone loves an underdog and even if they dont the industry NEEDS competition to not only move technology/innovation but also to keep pricing reasonable. Right now we have an $600 Parrot Anafi, $1000 Evo 4k/60, overpriced Mavic 2 zoom $1400+ and WAY overpriced Pro $1700. It is the right time for other companies to not hold back.
The danger is releasing a flawed product and/or not having the customer service in place to handle it all. As far as I can tell Skydio is doing OK at this point but this may be because they dont have a lot of product out the door. I know nothing about their customer service.
As others have mentioned Autel has to be able to support multiple products and because of past promises they have a lot to live up to.

Looks like Trump and China are going to work out the tariffs....so possibly the prices will be lower on Chinese imports such as these Drones since the companies possibly jacked up their prices due to tariffs.

I just hope they dont abandon the Evo 1 with updates. Would be nice to have the option to buy one of those new cameras and put it on the Evo 1.

Looks like Trump and China are going to work out the tariffs....so possibly the prices will be lower on Chinese imports such as these Drones since the companies possibly jacked up their prices due to tariffs.

I just hope they dont abandon the Evo 1 with updates. Would be nice to have the option to buy one of those new cameras and put it on the Evo 1.
I'd agree... retain the EVO1 and introduce the EVO2... Autel needs more offerings, so I wouldn't EOL the EVO1.
Regarding EVO2 camera on EVO1... That won't happen for multiple reasons starting with the mount & FW.

Prices... The economic ratchet effect model may apply... much harder to come down in prices.
In addition, watching a economic show recently... China Phase 1 is getting near completion. The China Phase 2 is to address more focused on electronics and copyright assets. That kinda indicates the sUAV discussions are just getting started and may be more ups & downs.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper

I wouldn't be so positive about new drones and specially if they don't have the remote ID built-in. In a few years, the Evo 1 and any new drone currently in the market. Will be considered outdated and in non-compliance with the law without remote ID.

I wouldn't be so positive about new drones and specially if they don't have the remote ID built-in. The Evo 1 and any new drone currently in the market. Will be considered outdated and in non-compliance with the law without remote ID.
I'm still wondering about this whole Remote ID thing. I've been watching all the uproar, and what I haven't seen is any real info on the method of Remote ID transmission from the drone itself. I get the whole standard vs limited thing, internet access requirement, etc. (and that would majorly suck for off grid flying), but for direct transmission from the drone, will it need some new transmitter, or will it use the existing wifi transmitter? If wifi, our Evos - like our DJI drones - will be able to comply with some software and/or firmware updates. If some new method, I'm thinking someone would come up with some kind of backpack we could attach to the top of the drone. Either way, I'm finding it hard to believe it would fully ground our Evos.

LP

I'm still wondering about this whole Remote ID thing. I've been watching all the uproar, and what I haven't seen is any real info on the method of Remote ID transmission from the drone itself. I get the whole standard vs limited thing, internet access requirement, etc. (and that would majorly suck for off grid flying), but for direct transmission from the drone, will it need some new transmitter, or will it use the existing wifi transmitter? If wifi, our Evos - like our DJI drones - will be able to comply with some software and/or firmware updates. If some new method, I'm thinking someone would come up with some kind of backpack we could attach to the top of the drone. Either way, I'm finding it hard to believe it would fully ground our Evos.

LP
The thread below should help you clarify your questions.

Reactions: macoman
The thread below should help you clarify your questions.

Thanks Ansia - so it sounds like wifi or bluetooth. To me that means that it is well within the capabilities of the Evo and our DJI drones - although as I speculated, they may need some software/firmware updates. Unfortunately, we'll be at the mercy of Autel, DJI, etc...

LP

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller