Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Executive Summary Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Part 89) December 20, 2019

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
Here is the long-awaited FAA NPRM for Remote ID and an executive summary.

Attachments

• Executive Summary -- NPRM on Remote Identification of UAS.pdf
    398.7 KB · Views: 24
It says that the Remote ID cannot operate more than 400' (120m) from ground station!? So that will supersede the VLOS rule? Even I cannot agree to that limitation.

Weird, next line says to operate within VLOS.

I like the third option. If your drone is before this ruling and can't be updated, you are stuck on flying in specified places by the FAA.

For the third option, this promises a lot of fun.
What is the number of devices still in flight condition that are no longer updated or that the updates have been abandoned.
How many devices will stay on the ground?

Hello Everyone & Happy Holidays,
I've been glancing through the new FAA Rules & Regs that are due to come into force soon, it's a 319-page document with a lot of repetition, legalese and too much to take it at one sitting. One thing that seems to be introduced is the ability of a UAS to broadcast its identity & position to the Internet during all flights. An anyone clarify this?

Hello Everyone & Happy Holidays,
I've been glancing through the new FAA Rules & Regs that are due to come into force soon, it's a 319-page document with a lot of repetition, legalese and too much to take it at one sitting. One thing that seems to be introduced is the ability of a UAS to broadcast its identity & position to the Internet during all flights. An anyone clarify this?

I think it would be helpful if you can share a link with everyone else who has not already read it (or found it).

I think it would be helpful if you can share a link with everyone else who has not already read it (or found it).
Please excuse, not very good at links for some reason, I think I've posted it below.

Could Autel apply some firmware? Can this be done thru the Autel app? It looks like a tight regulation, but is 400' enough to film real estate for example?

I would like to know who is connected to the Internet while it is flying?
I think Autel needs to update its firmware and software if it wants to sell U.A.V. and hurry because DJI already has it in its new models (Mavic Mini).

What does this identification do to previous drones? I just purchased an Autel Evo and still within its return period, Is this mean drones without this ID are helpless and unusable, or grandfathered in? or is there something I missed from reading about having drones erased if they don't comply?

What does this identification do to previous drones? I just purchased an Autel Evo and still within its return period, Is this mean drones without this ID are helpless and unusable, or grandfathered in? or is there something I missed from reading about having drones erased if they don't comply?

I can't answer that question just yet to give you a good answer but I did see this part that will piss a lot of people off.

Did you notice FAA is also changing the recreational registration rule to require each aircraft to be separately registered. “would be required to register each aircraft, individually by manufacturer, model, and, if the unmanned aircraft is a standard or limited remote identification unmanned aircraft, the aircraft’s serial number” (Page 13)

"Recreational flyers will also be required to pay a $5 registration fee to the FAA for each additional aircraft registered." (Page 210).

• Angry
Reactions: HiloHawaiian
And the $ 5 registration will become a windfall of money and why not later an annual tax.

If operating with a phone or other device connected to the remote control, aren't we using the Internet at that point?

No, when I fly, I put my tablet in airplane mode after obtaining my card. No interaction with the outside.

Hypothetically, if the device is interacting with the aircraft thru the remote control, the Autel app could relay serial number of aircraft and position, altitude etc. to whatever server needs the information. This would be a solution perhaps?

I hate to say it, but it sure seems like these confusing/contradictory/draconian rules will result in more folks flying illegally. Hackers will find ways around remote ID, won’t they? Why couldn’t it send a randomized serial number? Sure, a hack would lock you into a level of firmware forever, but it’s not an impossible scenario. Hackers have found ways to spoof pretty sophisticated security SW before.

Will we end-up filing-off serial numbers, wiping-down our drones of fingerprints, and flying with gloves on ;)

Reactions: tdhart
People, don't panic. The Autel Evo's hardware has the capability for broadcasting Remote ID. In fact, all big consumer players have this capability. I wanted to get home to turn on my Phantom, to show you guys that Remote ID has been around for a while now, but it has not been mandatory. Basically all we need is a software and firmware update to tell the drone to broadcast the information required. Basically Autel just needs to get to work to comply with the new regulations (if they pass).
Screenshot_20191226-193406.jpg

Could Autel apply some firmware? Can this be done thru the Autel app? It looks like a tight regulation, but is 400' enough to film real estate for example?
Yes, unless it’s big acreage. The drone lenses are so wide you can get a great shot of the average house/lot at 100’. But, the old rule that you could fly at higher altitudes as long as you’re within 100-200’ of the pole, antenna, hill/mtn (I forget the exact limit, lol) goes away? Many of us have flown far beyond 400’ hugging a cliff/Mtn. Would that be changing?

Reactions: Ansia
The new remote ID is as follows.

1. You are required to broadcast via wifi spectrum (which the XSP and Evo can do) the information required. This way bystanders can point to the drone and get the information (my guess LEO and not anyone). You are asked to also broadcast your info by internet, but it is not required, since not everyone has internet all the time. If you comply with this, you can follow the current regulations.

2. If you broadcast via internet, but not via wifi spectrum, then you are limited to a 400' dome for distance. (@Squaddy that is more than enough for 90% of the properties) My guess this is for older ad-hoc wifi drones, but don't quote me on this.

3. If you fly some ancient or forgotten drone like a Walkera (@macoman ?) which probably won't get an update to comply. Then you will have to go fly in FAA specified areas. Most likely your local AMA field.

B77641A3-F783-42AD-9607-5035E65B9E46.jpeg

Last edited:
When the US sneezes, Australia catches cold, so I guess we can expect something similar down here eventually.

• Haha
Reactions: Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy