Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

The New Upcoming Autel Robotics EVO 2 Discussion Thread

If they're really going to do 900mhz then I think maybe the 16mile thing is not a typo.
Imagine 900mhz with amped remote... what wont that penetrate?
The 16 miles range is a typo made by DroneDJ. Even if it brings a 900mhz antenna, the power output required to reach that range would be to much for the controller. Reality will be 7 or 8km.

Captain Drone, a YouTube influencer who recommends the Autel Evo and has done several videos on it has made an interesting comment on the evo 2 the other day. He seems like the most positive guy on YouTube, but he basically chastised everyone for pumping into the hype on the evo 2 stating that this is just Autel trying to gauge interest in such a drone for potential release date of July 2020. Not sure where he gets this information from, but it is worth mentioning that he does make pretty good predictions. He also spends most of his time looking at what isn't coming out of DJI and watching what they're coming up with... And what he says makes perfect sense - what kind of position are they in to really pull through with something this outrageous in January?

I think his sobering thoughts on this are worth dropping here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191130-112210_YouTube Vanced.jpg
    Screenshot_20191130-112210_YouTube Vanced.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
Captain Drone, a YouTube influencer who recommends the Autel Evo and has done several videos on it has made an interesting comment on the evo 2 the other day. He seems like the most positive guy on YouTube, but he basically chastised everyone for pumping into the hype on the evo 2 stating that this is just Autel trying to gauge interest in such a drone for potential release date of July 2020. Not sure where he gets this information from, but it is worth mentioning that he does make pretty good predictions. He also spends most of his time looking at what isn't coming out of DJI and watching what they're coming up with... And what he says makes perfect sense - what kind of position are they in to really pull through with something this outrageous in January?

I think his sobering thoughts on this are worth dropping here.
It's quite simple. You can predict the future, based on past experiences.

Autel did the same with the Evo.

Let me see.... Where do I beging.

All signals between RC and AC from all drone companies are wifi tech. Ocusync and Lightbridge are DJI technology and Autel will never own or use this tech.

5.8Ghz actually has a shorter range than 2.4Ghz does. The advantages of 5.8Ghz is the ability to stream live at 1080p, vs the 720p the 2.4Ghz can achieve.

As which bird flies farther, ocusync will beat whatever Autel uses hands down, every single time. The way ocusync 2.0 switches between 2.4 and 5.8 and all the channels in between seamlessly is just really impressive. Lightbridge simply sticks at 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz and will only switch between channels in that specific band.

The tech Autel uses is something similar to Lighbridge. I've been studing it as of late. Within the 2.4Ghz band their is a certain spectrum where the Evo switches between it quickly, preventing breakup. In my opinion is a little better tech than Lightbridge used to be. Hopefully in the Evo 2, they got it even better.

The 900mhz should give the E2 even better range, but at the cost of video quality. If you have seen videos from FPV drones, it would look something like that when it switches into that frequency.

Have you ever used Geofencing 2.0? I mean, really used it? The way DJI implemented it was wrong, in my opinion, but if they had implemented it where you could only fly with permission of your local aviation agency's permission (FAA authorization in our case) it would have been great for everyone.
Yes thank you Ansia, you really know what your talking about since you fly so much FPV. :)

The 16 miles range is a typo made by DroneDJ. Even if it brings a 900mhz antenna, the power output required to reach that range would be to much for the controller. Reality will be 7 or 8km.

@Ansia - Actually, it's not. It's in the manual - but I think the statement is misleading. In the 'get to know your drone' section of the manual it clearly states an operating range of 16 miles. However, in the RC Controller spec section, it lists the same 7km/4.3mile transmitter range. I suspect the 16 mile statement refers to the ground you can cover in 35 min at standard flight speeds.

Regarding 900MHz, wasn't the Evo 1 supposed to have it and then it was turned off in the US? Why would we think the same thing wouldn't happen again? (I wasn't following the conv too closely, but I do remember a lot of chatter about 900MHz).

LP

Reactions: Nightbat2
Seriously everyone what is the purpose of this drone?(Even Mavic 3) Maybe extended range and higher res but who needs to use 6k or 8k?(not the original hobbyist) I would like to use these new batteries to be compatible with the original EVO. Many of us pilots disable the obstacle sensors since they can be a nuisance, especially in the sun glare. One inch sensor is useless when it comes to most of us. Low light situations like flying at night is not allowed unless your 107 and have the proper lighting. All of this is already possible with the current Evo setup. The only difference I see is no glossy finish and the ability to "maybe look upwards like the Anafi, 5 more min of flight time and extended range" In my own opinion they should make this drone compatible with the original controller. If they can only take the original Evo and price match it with the DJI mini, then DJI would be screwed, even if the cost was 100 dollars more. I still think the EVO is better since you do not have to worry about the software grounding you and the fact the camera is better. Learn how to fly manually and the sensors will be useless(you have GPS to hold your pos). All of these sensors are just to target the novice consumer in which the FAA will just continue to make the laws more strict since you have more novices flying around with no worry since you have the software flying for you. Like Augustine said you have the "cloud" to process your high res vids, but good luck doing this on your own machine. I find it funny how they say you can stick the mini in your pocket. Nobody is going to do this. I really hope from the time I have spent reading the posts they will not bail on the original Evo since there is a new one coming out. Your eyes cannot distinguish anything than 4k in resolution unless you want to take advantage with digital zoom. However if this new sensor\obstacle sensor system can rival the Skydio 2 then I can see its purpose. We just will have to wait and see, anything over 1300 will be too much. These higher resolutions are like higher frame rates, once you reach a certain limit your eyes\brain cannot distinguish the difference.

@Madhungarian - just a couple of points. Extended range is still questionable - RC controller specs still say 7km. I would see more interest in better low light performance. In the US, you can fly at night recreationally now.

LP

Thank you for mentioning the 900MHz LeafPeeper,

I’m new to Autel, after reviewing the Evo 2 it certainly has my attention. Please forgive my lack of knowledge, will 900 MHz improve reception and if it does is it for clear feed video purposes in areas with interference or is it for range?

thanks
Paul

@Ansia - Actually, it's not. It's in the manual - but I think the statement is misleading. In the 'get to know your drone' section of the manual it clearly states an operating range of 16 miles. However, in the RC Controller spec section, it lists the same 7km/4.3mile transmitter range. I suspect the 16 mile statement refers to the ground you can cover in 35 min at standard flight speeds.

Regarding 900MHz, wasn't the Evo 1 supposed to have it and then it was turned off in the US? Why would we think the same thing wouldn't happen again? (I wasn't following the conv too closely, but I do remember a lot of chatter about 900MHz).

LP

Thank you for mentioning the 900MHz LeafPeeper,

I’m new to Autel, after reviewing the Evo 2 it certainly has my attention. Please forgive my lack of knowledge, will 900 MHz improve reception and if it does is it for clear feed video purposes in areas with interference or is it for range?

thanks
Paul

Lower frequencies tend to transverse obstacles better than higher frequency transmissions. That's why you get better range with 2.4GHz wifi in your house than with 5GHz - as 5GHz has a harder time getting through walls. Similarly, 900MHz would do better than 2.4GHz when there are obstacles present - like buildings or trees. Using your terms, I would say 900MHz is more likely to improve 'reception' - as in the open with no obstacles or interference, I believe range ultimately comes down to transmitter power.

LP

LP
900MHz not available on units sold down here, either.

900MHz not available on units sold down here, either.
[/QUOT
How in the heck do you know this? Have you ever even flown farther than LOS?

I have. I was ignorant at 1 point in my life and did all the common drone pilot mistakes.

I'm sure most of us have made mistakes. I'm on my 3rd Mavic...LOL In my case, just stupidity and not being careful around trees.

Not sure what you do for a living @Ansia, but your power claim sounds reasonable to me (30+ year EE here, just not in RF). @Madhungarian - I still contend that it's unreasonable to assume they meant 16 miles from the controller, especially when the controller specs are printed in the back of the manual - and specifically say 4.3 miles/7 km.

LP

Reactions: Ansia
I'm sure most of us have made mistakes. I'm on my 3rd Mavic...LOL In my case, just stupidity and not being careful around trees.

Not sure what you do for a living @Ansia, but your power claim sounds reasonable to me (30+ year EE here, just not in RF). @Madhungarian - I still contend that it's unreasonable to assume they meant 16 miles from the controller, especially when the controller specs are printed in the back of the manual - and specifically say 4.3 miles/7 km.

LP
My train of thought is that 16 miles out would be impossible, unless you were connected to the drone via cell towers. The amount of power needed from the controller and drone itself, simply can't be achieved with the batteries that it comes with. Also, you have to take into consideration the curve of the world (Yes, the world isn't flat) and how it affect the signal's LOS. At 16 miles, even if you were flying in flat lands, eventually you would lose communications with the drone as it moves farther and farther away.

I did not consider the 16 miles of flying within the range area. I haven't actually paid any attention to my flight distances when doing my thing. I will in the future.

BTW, by no means am I in the field of technology or anything related to broadcasting and signals. I just applied what I considered common sense, from what I have read and learned over the years.

Reactions: LeafPeeper
I should note here that there's a bit of an argument going on in the FB group about that 16 mile claim. 16 Miles using current 2.4GHz technology with reasonable power output seems like a pretty large stretch. In addition, the RC controller specs in the back of the manual clearly state 7km or 4.3miles - same as the Evo 1. I suspect that 16 mile statement is more of an 'operational range' - as in how much ground you can cover in 35 min of flight time rather than distance from the transmitter.

LP

I agree the 16 miles must be a misprint.

I am very happy to have caught this news on the Autel Evo 2 right now, the cyber monday deal for the Evo 1 bundle that cost $1,049 for the drone rugged case, and the on the go stuff in one package was a “I’m about to pull the trigger” kinda deal.

Knowing the Evo 2 is right around the corner in January 2020 I am glad that I stumbled onto the news of the Evo 2 before I made the purchase.

I had planned on getting the Evo 1 on black friday 2019 or cyber monday 2019 today but I rather wait and get the Evo 2.

You did well or not!
You may wait a little longer because if it is announced at CES 2020 (January), it will not be put on the market and sold at best six months later. This is what happened for Evo 1.
You risk being frustrated anyway, six months to turn your thumb (lack of joysticks).

It would mainly be for spring and summer use, it is already 36F here now so unless winter never happens it would be sitting on a shelf anyway.

Plenty of gaming, and other hobbies to enjoy while I wait, and even if it comes out in the winter it’s still not going to be used since it’s to cold for the drone.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Strangely enough, I'll be watching without gass. As I've said before, this one doesn't interest me. 4K/60 is already hard enough to process. I wonder if they'll introduce any capability improvements - like waypoint functions or subject tracking. Here's an idea - remove the beep buttons and replace them with buttons that actually do something useful. My controller doesn't need a horn.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Evo 1, but I've learned my lesson with Autel. You can't count on them to deliver. Right now I'm more worried that I'll be stuck on beta firmware forever since I can't go back to stock and we know they're all focused on the Evo 2.

LP

My train of thought is that 16 miles out would be impossible, unless you were connected to the drone via cell towers. The amount of power needed from the controller and drone itself, simply can't be achieved with the batteries that it comes with. Also, you have to take into consideration the curve of the world (Yes, the world isn't flat) and how it affect the signal's LOS. At 16 miles, even if you were flying in flat lands, eventually you would lose communications with the drone as it moves farther and farther away.

I did not consider the 16 miles of flying within the range area. I haven't actually paid any attention to my flight distances when doing my thing.
You reminded me of YouTuber Dustin Dunnill... That guy made a mod with a Parrot disco using 4G LTE data and li-ion batteries. Was able to reach 16 miles... It was an impressive video to watch.

Reactions: Nightbat2

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d