Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

The New Upcoming Autel Robotics EVO 2 Discussion Thread

Holy crapola...should we start a thread on our price guesses for each gimbal’s model?? $1399, $1699, $2799?

What do I know ;)

Seriously everyone what is the purpose of this drone?(Even Mavic 3) Maybe extended range and higher res but who needs to use 6k or 8k?(not the original hobbyist) I would like to use these new batteries to be compatible with the original EVO. Many of us pilots disable the obstacle sensors since they can be a nuisance, especially in the sun glare. One inch sensor is useless when it comes to most of us. Low light situations like flying at night is not allowed unless your 107 and have the proper lighting. All of this is already possible with the current Evo setup. The only difference I see is no glossy finish and the ability to "maybe look upwards like the Anafi, 5 more min of flight time and extended range" In my own opinion they should make this drone compatible with the original controller. If they can only take the original Evo and price match it with the DJI mini, then DJI would be screwed, even if the cost was 100 dollars more. I still think the EVO is better since you do not have to worry about the software grounding you and the fact the camera is better. Learn how to fly manually and the sensors will be useless(you have GPS to hold your pos). All of these sensors are just to target the novice consumer in which the FAA will just continue to make the laws more strict since you have more novices flying around with no worry since you have the software flying for you. Like Augustine said you have the "cloud" to process your high res vids, but good luck doing this on your own machine. I find it funny how they say you can stick the mini in your pocket. Nobody is going to do this. I really hope from the time I have spent reading the posts they will not bail on the original Evo since there is a new one coming out. Your eyes cannot distinguish anything than 4k in resolution unless you want to take advantage with digital zoom. However if this new sensor\obstacle sensor system can rival the Skydio 2 then I can see its purpose. We just will have to wait and see, anything over 1300 will be too much. These higher resolutions are like higher frame rates, once you reach a certain limit your eyes\brain cannot distinguish the difference.

Seriously everyone what is the purpose of this drone?(Even Mavic 3) Maybe extended range and higher res but who needs to use 6k or 8k?(not the original hobbyist) I would like to use these new batteries to be compatible with the original EVO. Many of us pilots disable the obstacle sensors since they can be a nuisance, especially in the sun glare. One inch sensor is useless when it comes to most of us. Low light situations like flying at night is not allowed unless your 107 and have the proper lighting. All of this is already possible with the current Evo setup. The only difference I see is no glossy finish and the ability to "maybe look upwards like the Anafi, 5 more min of flight time and extended range" In my own opinion they should make this drone compatible with the original controller. If they can only take the original Evo and price match it with the DJI mini, then DJI would be screwed, even if the cost was 100 dollars more. I still think the EVO is better since you do not have to worry about the software grounding you and the fact the camera is better. Learn how to fly manually and the sensors will be useless(you have GPS to hold your pos). All of these sensors are just to target the novice consumer in which the FAA will just continue to make the laws more strict since you have more novices flying around with no worry since you have the software flying for you. Like Augustine said you have the "cloud" to process your high res vids, but good luck doing this on your own machine. I find it funny how they say you can stick the mini in your pocket. Nobody is going to do this. I really hope from the time I have spent reading the posts they will not bail on the original Evo since there is a new one coming out. Your eyes cannot distinguish anything than 4k in resolution unless you want to take advantage with digital zoom. However if this new sensor\obstacle sensor system can rival the Skydio 2 then I can see its purpose. We just will have to wait and see, anything over 1300 will be too much. These higher resolutions are like higher frame rates, once you reach a certain limit your eyes\brain cannot distinguish the difference.
I for one am interested in the 48MP 8K camera with thermal. I also am interested in the omnidirectional sensors. If you see some of the places I take my drone for inspections, having sensors is a must. A really high resolution photo will help me to do inspections of buildings, without having to fly 3' of the wall and hope a gust of wind doesn't make it crash. Thermal is also a great way to find fissures in the walls.

You may not have any use for this drone, but that doesn't mean the drone won't be useful for others. Most likely than not, this drone isn't targeted towards consumers, but rather to professionals and industries.

Autel Evo 2 release date January 2020
Autel Evo 2 will be released in January of 2020 and the official announcement will take place at CES. Expect the Evo 2 to be available soon thereafter at retailers

Reckon a few people will be seeking a return of their Skydio $100 deposit if this pans out.

Reactions: SmokeyBear262
I for one am interested in the 48MP 8K camera with thermal. I also am interested in the omnidirectional sensors. If you see some of the places I take my drone for inspections, having sensors is a must. A really high resolution photo will help me to do inspections of buildings, without having to fly 3' of the wall and hope a gust of wind doesn't make it crash. Thermal is also a great way to find fissures in the walls.

You may not have any use for this drone, but that doesn't mean the drone won't be useful for others. Most likely than not, this drone isn't targeted towards consumers, but rather to professionals and industries.
Depending on price, I’d like one. Imagine what you coul do with a mapping mission—particularly if the “bubble” around the drone can be adjusted, as claimed for the Skydio2.

Reactions: Ansia
Depending on price, I’d like one. Imagine what you coul do with a mapping mission—particularly if the “bubble” around the drone can be adjusted, as claimed for the Skydio2.
For mapping, the best drones are those with mechanical shutters. Hopefully the 1" camera has one.

Reactions: Nightbat2

Professional drone pilots do not need sensors to fly. Even inspecting buildings. If you wanna squeeze through small gaps maybe you should consider the Skydio 2 or just learn how to fly without software assistance. If you can show us some of your work and post what your talking about, I could understand what your saying.

Professional drone pilots do not need sensors to fly. Even inspecting buildings. If you wanna squeeze through small gaps maybe you should consider the Skydio 2 or just learn how to fly without software assistance. If you can show us some of your work and post what your talking about, I could understand what your saying.
And again, that is your personal opinion. I cannot provide photos of my inspections, since they do not belong to me. What I have done is included a Google Maps photo of some of the buildings I do inspection for. These are 200'+ in height and so close to each others, that most of the times I lose GPS signal while inspecting the walls and I am to high for VPS to work, in addition of having to fight winds of 15+mph with gusts up to 50mph on a daily basis. The Skydio is useless for me, as it does not have omnidirectionals sensors.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191129-000042_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20191129-000042_Firefox.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Reactions: Madhungarian
And again, that is your personal opinion. I cannot provide photos of my inspections, since they do not belong to me. What I have done is included a Google Maps photo of some of the buildings I do inspection for. These are 200'+ in height and so close to each others, that most of the times I lose GPS signal while inspecting the walls and I am to high for VPS to work, in addition of having to fight winds of 15+mph with gusts up to 50mph on a daily basis. The Skydio is useless for me, as it does not have omnidirectionals sensors.
I do see the 900mhz will be an option.

Wonder when this may come out.. I hope we won't have to wait too long like with the original evo. I'm not too sure who all has seen this post from O.D.B.

Last edited:
In this video they cover a lot of info on the new EVO 2. Well worth watching.
Also worth watching is the part about the 20 thousand dollar fine.

Guys... processing 8k vids is easy. 4k h265 60fps video is intensive and so you use proxy files, right?
Hell, on davinci resolve, it's just a drop down menu and one click to get to 1/4 resolution.

Also, regarding professional drone pilots needing sensors.... sometimes clients request us to do things that put us in situations we would not choose to be in and sensors are as helpful as having a spotter that doesn't end up in the shot. Not necessary, but definitely an asset.

I’m excited with the recent news of a couple of companies stepping up and competing with DJI, Skydio with Skydio 2 and now Autel with the Evo 2.

Have a Mavic 2 Pro, although it’s not not grab to go quad it’s definitely my best in areas with inference. OcuSync 2.0 hands down untouchable, my hobby of research I need good reception flying in areas with rough terrain to capture those impossible shots or video. Plus, flight time is terrific, due to mountain terrain im getting about 23- 25 minutes per flight. The larger 1” camera helps in low light as well, another reason I enjoy the Mavic 2 Pro.

Have the Skydio 2 preordered, batch 2. For what the Skydio 2 has to offer technology wise it’s a steal, but it’s a wifi technology which I hope will not be an issue in areas with inference or in rough mountain terrain. But I see a need for the Skydio 2, can now fly in very tight rocky bushy terrain avoiding a collision with a branch or rock wall.

Now I’m liking what Evo 2 has to offer, especially the 35 minute flight time, larger Camera for low light conditions, But it’s WiFi and hopefully an improved WiFi from Evo 1. I really want this new quad but if reception is the same as Evo 1 then I’m better off with the Mavic 2 Pro flying under these tough rocky bushy terrain situations.

My hobby is researching for signs of early Native American activity, pictographs on rock walls or entrances of rock caves, mortar holes used for preparing food.

Does anyone here think the reception will be improved with the new Evo 2? With the larger camera, improved flight time boy this is too good to pass up. But if reception is the same as Evo 1, this is keeping me from looking further.

Paul

Well I never bought into the first EVO so I am pretty sure I will not be buying into this one either. Not because I don't like it for all that it should offer with those specs but I do not need it and am happy with what I have. I don't need a new toy every year or two years.
My thoughts exactly... I already have an Evo, spark and Mavic Pro Platinum... I don't need anything else. I have more than enough for entertaining.

I’m excited with the recent news of a couple of companies stepping up and competing with DJI, Skydio with Skydio 2 and now Autel with the Evo 2.

Have a Mavic 2 Pro, although it’s not not grab to go quad it’s definitely my best in areas with inference. OcuSync 2.0 hands down untouchable, my hobby of research I need good reception flying in areas with rough terrain to capture those impossible shots or video. Plus, flight time is terrific, due to mountain terrain im getting about 23- 25 minutes per flight. The larger 1” camera helps in low light as well, another reason I enjoy the Mavic 2 Pro.

Have the Skydio 2 preordered, batch 2. For what the Skydio 2 has to offer technology wise it’s a steal, but it’s a wifi technology which I hope will not be an issue in areas with inference or in rough mountain terrain. But I see a need for the Skydio 2, can now fly in very tight rocky bushy terrain avoiding a collision with a branch or rock wall.

Now I’m liking what Evo 2 has to offer, especially the 35 minute flight time, larger Camera for low light conditions, But it’s WiFi and hopefully an improved WiFi from Evo 1. I really want this new quad but if reception is the same as Evo 1 then I’m better off with the Mavic 2 Pro flying under these tough rocky bushy terrain situations.

My hobby is researching for signs of early Native American activity, pictographs on rock walls or entrances of rock caves, mortar holes used for preparing food.

Does anyone here think the reception will be improved with the new Evo 2? With the larger camera, improved flight time boy this is too good to pass up. But if reception is the same as Evo 1, this is keeping me from looking further.

Paul
900mhz is going to blow any Occusync out of the water.
So you do not own the orginal Autel Evo, there is no proof sir that and I have watched numerous videos on you-tube and the EVO gets farther in urban environments Your Occusync is what the Evo uses but its a form of Lightbridge.(I have read and the Evo does not operate with WIFI tech) There is nothing wrong with the range and since you do not own one how can you know?. Just because you can operate at 5 ghz , it will not take you farther than 2.4ghz.
I think maybe you should just stick with your geofenced DJI. If the first Autel, in which you do not own is not good, then this one is not for you. ;)

900mhz is going to blow any Occusync out of the water.
So you do not own the orginal Autel Evo, there is no proof sir that and I have watched numerous videos on you-tube and the EVO gets farther in urban environments Your Occusync is what the Evo uses but its a form of Lightbridge.(I have read and the Evo does not operate with WIFI tech) There is nothing wrong with the range and since you do not own one how can you know?. Just because you can operate at 5 ghz , it will not take you farther than 2.4ghz.
I think maybe you should just stick with your geofenced DJI. If the first Autel, in which you do not own is not good, then this one is not for you. ;)

Let me see.... Where do I beging.

All signals between RC and AC from all drone companies are wifi tech. Ocusync and Lightbridge are DJI technology and Autel will never own or use this tech.

5.8Ghz actually has a shorter range than 2.4Ghz does. The advantages of 5.8Ghz is the ability to stream live at 1080p, vs the 720p the 2.4Ghz can achieve.

As which bird flies farther, ocusync will beat whatever Autel uses hands down, every single time. The way ocusync 2.0 switches between 2.4 and 5.8 and all the channels in between seamlessly is just really impressive. Lightbridge simply sticks at 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz and will only switch between channels in that specific band.

The tech Autel uses is something similar to Lighbridge. I've been studing it as of late. Within the 2.4Ghz band their is a certain spectrum where the Evo switches between it quickly, preventing breakup. In my opinion is a little better tech than Lightbridge used to be. Hopefully in the Evo 2, they got it even better.

The 900mhz should give the E2 even better range, but at the cost of video quality. If you have seen videos from FPV drones, it would look something like that when it switches into that frequency.

Have you ever used Geofencing 2.0? I mean, really used it? The way DJI implemented it was wrong, in my opinion, but if they had implemented it where you could only fly with permission of your local aviation agency's permission (FAA authorization in our case) it would have been great for everyone.

All signals between RC and AC from all drone companies are wifi tech. Ocusync and Lightbridge are DJI technology and Autel will never own or use this tech.

5.8Ghz actually has a shorter range than 2.4Ghz does. The advantages of 5.8Ghz is the ability to stream live at 1080p, vs the 720p the 2.4Ghz can achieve.

As which bird flies farther, ocusync will beat whatever Autel uses hands down, every single time. The way ocusync 2.0 switches between 2.4 and 5.8 and all the channels in between seamlessly is just really impressive. Lightbridge simply sticks at 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz and will only switch between channels in that specific band.

The tech Autel uses is something similar to Lighbridge. I've been studing it as of late. Within the 2.4Ghz band their is a certain spectrum where the Evo switches between it quickly, preventing breakup. In my opinion is a little better tech than Lightbridge used to be. Hopefully in the Evo 2, they got it even better.

The 900mhz should give the E2 even better range, but at the cost of video quality. If you have seen videos from FPV drones, it would look something like that when it switches into that frequency.

Have you ever used Geofencing 2.0? I mean, really used it? The way DJI implemented it was wrong, in my opinion, but if they had implemented it where you could only fly with permission of your local aviation agency's permission (FAA authorization in our case) it would have been great for everyone.
If they're really going to do 900mhz then I think maybe the 16mile thing is not a typo.
Imagine 900mhz with amped remote... what wont that penetrate?

Thank you Ansia,

Appreciate you explaining the differences, and what Autel uses and as you mentioned something similar to Lightbridge.

I agree, OcuSync 2 is very impressive especially in areas with obstacles, in my case of flying it’s small trees, bushes and large boulders that reduce reception. Upclose flights along mountain terrain is my main concern, I’m not after long distance flights just need clear signal reception when under these type of conditions.

Now, I understand a little more with what Autel is using. Looks like the Evo 1 may do well for my type of flying. And yes indeed, Hopefully Autel got it better with a Evo 2.

what I really like about the Evo 2, is the 35 minute flight time but under my flying conditions it’ll probably be 28-30 minutes which is still exceptionally well.

Thank you very much,
Paul

Reactions: Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller