Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Rotate drift? How to clear this?

NicodemPL

Reaction score
Since few days now I see that when hovering and start rotate to right once I stop this drone still slowly rotates little more. Very annoying when I do bracketing photos as they are moved one from other.
Tried recalibration of controller sticks, compas calibration for drone. Any other ideas? It did not happen few days ago.
I will replace all propellers today but don't think this is it - they are in relatively good condition.
EXP settings?

Downgrade your firmware to v2.3.3

There is a know bug in v2.5.0 which causes the Evo to drift. Autel have confirmed they are working on a fix but we're still waiting...

Reactions: john_texas
In the OFFICIAL Autel Robitics Owners FB group they have posted a link to the beta FW download and instructions on loading the beta Explorer app for iOS and Android.

From Autel:
Hello EVO II users,

After serval rounds of internal Beta test, we are pleased to release EVO II firmware V2.5.11 for the public Beta test. Compared with the current official version V2.5.0, the changes include:

New Features:

1) Added IMU Calibration

2) Added the third axis compass calibration to improve calibration accuracy

3) Added 640T thermal camera with radiometric support (specific regions only)

4) Added Time Lapse in Intelligent Flight Modes.

5) Added Indoor flight mode: optimized for indoor (Zero Satellite Connections) flights,Propeller Guards Required.

6) Added SD exFAT large file system support (3.5 GB or more)

Bug Fixes and Optimizations:

1) Optimized gimbal stability

2) Optimized gimbal automatic calibration by adding gyro bias calibration

3) Improved the Smart Orbit performance

4) Optimized the balance of picture sharpness and noise, color reproduction and the tones in some scenes for both 8K and 6K to improve JPEG image quality

5) Optimized 8K focus performance

6) Changed the default video encoding format to H.265 for videos in 6K and 8K resolutions

7) Resolved EXIF data error issue

Notes:

1) After the firmware upgrade, please perform gimbal auto calibration, IMU calibration and Compass calibration before the first flight.

2) In order to support all the new features, please upgrade the Autel Explorer app to iOS V1.7.5, Android V1.1.7.8 and newer.

You can download the Beta firmware 2.5.11 through our website: EVO II Downloads

Here is the instruction video for manual firmware upgrade:

If you encounter any bugs, glitches, lack of functionality or other problems with the app, please let us know immediately by contacting our customer service at 1-844-MY-AUTEL, email us at [email protected], chat with us online at AutelDrones.com, or leave comments below this post.

Thanks for your support.

Born to explore!

Hi, this looks like good news. Does anyone know if it helps with ensuring that the drone knows exactly where it is in 3 dimensional space? I fly my Evo 2 Pro from the same spot on a regular basis and I know that the drone's judgement about its height is very inaccurate (by at least 5m in some flights). This is a serious problem for operating over water as I am using it for surf photography. My old Mavic Air never had this problem and I could operate at a height of 3m above the water with full confidence. With the Pro, trying to do this when the height on the console could be 5m out is a potentially catastrophic and expensive issue.

Hi, this looks like good news. Does anyone know if it helps with ensuring that the drone knows exactly where it is in 3 dimensional space? I fly my Evo 2 Pro from the same spot on a regular basis and I know that the drone's judgement about its height is very inaccurate (by at least 5m in some flights). This is a serious problem for operating over water as I am using it for surf photography. My old Mavic Air never had this problem and I could operate at a height of 3m above the water with full confidence. With the Pro, trying to do this when the height on the console could be 5m out is a potentially catastrophic and expensive issue.
I'm waiting for my new one to arrive to test this out. I live near a Scottish Loch and test my drones there regularly. The last one was hovering over water 4m away from me, while was trying to work out why it drifted to the right and had yaw issues. The water was only 1m deep and it was 5m above the surface. I looked down at the controls to change the flight control settings and looked back at the Evo II Pro only to see it looked like it was landing.
I assume it has something to do with the sensors and will turn off the bottom sensors if I ever fly over water again.
Although in the manual it clearly mentions to not to fly over water. Oops.

I'm waiting for my new one to arrive to test this out. I live near a Scottish Loch and test my drones there regularly. The last one was hovering over water 4m away from me, while was trying to work out why it drifted to the right and had yaw issues. The water was only 1m deep and it was 5m above the surface. I looked down at the controls to change the flight control settings and looked back at the Evo II Pro only to see it looked like it was landing.
I assume it has something to do with the sensors and will turn off the bottom sensors if I ever fly over water again.
Although in the manual it clearly mentions to not to fly over water. Oops.
I have tested this out not over water as well. In fact that is where I first noticed the issue. The drone was at the same height as the take off point (a table) but it said it was 5m above. If it was a metre or so then fine but 5m is a lot and an issue over land as well as water.

Reactions: Autelpilotsnumpty
I have tested this out not over water as well. In fact that is where I first noticed the issue. The drone was at the same height as the take off point (a table) but it said it was 5m above. If it was a metre or so then fine but 5m is a lot and an issue over land as well as water.
I’ll do some tests to see if this is happening on my aircraft and let you know.

latest beta firmware. the stability of the gimbal is declared, and now look at the comparison of the evo 2 pro gimbal with the mavic 2 pro.
I completed all the calibrations. and all the calibrations were successful.

latest beta firmware. the stability of the gimbal is declared, and now look at the comparison of the evo 2 pro gimbal with the mavic 2 pro.
I completed all the calibrations. and all the calibrations were successful.

Quite disappointing and shocking from Autel, to be honest. I know it's a beta firmware but still, it looks nowhere near as something that has been dealt with. It seems like we will have to deal with this problem further. Even though this was one of the known issues with firmware 2.5.0.
I guess this also happens during flights? Have you seen it happen?

Hi everyone, I am a new to Autel and a few days ago I received my Evo 2 Pro. I flew the Evo last weekend for the first time and the video quality was amazing compared to my Mavic 2 Pro (check out my Gizmo Drones YouTube channel). However I found the Evo would sometimes drift and turn slightly by itself, which was a bit disconcerting. After reading this forum I decided to install the latest Evo Beta software and I am happy to report that the problem seems to be fixed. I flew in strong winds today and the Evo flight was rock solid from beginning to end without any nervous moments. Hopefully it will continue to be 100% reliable and consistent as I love its camera.. Happy flying :)

Reactions: UAV8 Drones
I have had my Evo 2 Pro for a week and I have flown it over water at a height of 2m without any issue so far, both with the latest released software and latest Beta software. I am mindful that the sensors can be confused by water as I have flown many DJI models over water too, so I hope I am not being over confident with the Evo. I have found that the Beta software is much more stable with no drift or turning. However last night I flew it at the beach with fairly strong crosswinds and I did notice that it would drift slightly with the wind when flying straight which I had to correct when flying. So I think more work is needed to make it fly as accurately as my DJI Mavic 2 Pro in strong wind. Having said that I don't think I will be flying my Mavic 2 Pro for a while as I love the camera in the Evo and enjoying flying it.

Hi, are you starting your flight at the same height as the water? or are you starting higher and then heading down to the water - thus having a negative altitude?

The issue I am having is intermittent and I would not risk going down to 2m above the water at the moment.

Its kind of interesting how the Manual cautions about flying over water yet the drone has a 'boat mode'............

Hi, are you starting your flight at the same height as the water? or are you starting higher and then heading down to the water - thus having a negative altitude?

The issue I am having is intermittent and I would not risk going down to 2m above the water at the moment.

Its kind of interesting how the Manual cautions about flying over water yet the drone has a 'boat mode'............
I have mostly taken off, picked my height of approx 2m, turned on stability mode and then flown out across the water. I have done this multiple times without issue. I have also flown high and then lowered to a height of approx 3m and kept flying in normal mode across the water although it did drift a little in strong wind. If I have flown high and then lower I wouldn't go less than 3m above the water as I don't want the drone to auto land. I have noticed that when the drone is approx 1m or less off the ground it may auto land. There should be a delay added to prevent auto landing ie need to hold the stick down for 3 seconds or more, like the Mavic 2 Pro.

I'm not sure if we are getting to the issue here. I have the problem whether I fly over water or not. It seems that the issue is negative altitude. When I start my flight I am above the beach by 12m or so. If I head down to the sand then the height from my starting point can vary from flight to flight. I know this because when I bring the drone back to the launch point the altitude can read +6m or 5m or something else, not zero. The reason why this is a worry is that I do fly over water and I can't trust the altitude to be correct.

I see what you mean. I have flown negative height with DJI products (flown down from a cliff) but haven't tried it with the Evo yet. When I do I will come back and will let you know. I am very cautious when I fly close to things or low over water, I always watch the drone, ready to quickly pull up or away if needed. I only check the height in the app occasionally as a check to what I can see, I wouldn't trust GPS height only.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo