Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Remote ID Update Regarding Autel Drones: Any Forthcoming?

TN Drone Services

Reaction score
Website
www.tennesseedroneservices.com
I found this thread, but it hasn't been active in a while. Given the very near initial deadline and the upcoming extended December deadline for remote ID, I wanted to see if anyone has heard from Autel regarding the Evo series drones.

Just putting this out there for the good of the community in hopes there is additional information I couldn't locate online.

As of now, Autel does NOT intend on enabling RID on ANY current craft the Evo 2 series (EDITED) . They say that any craft sold on or after Sept. 16 Dec 2022 will comply with manufacturer RID.

On the other hand, both DJI and Skydio have announced that they WILL make RID available via a firmware update on a growing list of current craft prior to the Sept 2023 deadline.

Last edited:
Hi Dave, thanks for chiming in with the requested information. Do you happen have a source you can share for that information? I've looked, but haven't been successful (I've even asked their social media account person without a response).

Have a great evening!

Hi Dave, thanks for chiming in with the requested information. Do you happen have a source you can share for that information? I've looked, but haven't been successful (I've even asked their social media account person without a response).

Have a great evening!

The comment was from Ken Booth (Autel Robotics) on their FB page. I went back and looked, and he does say the Nano, Lite and Evo 2 v.3 will be able to be RID compliant. You can pick up an Evo 2 v.2 package at a big discount right now.
2022-09-13_195723.jpg

As of today, these are the only compliant vehicles that if they are manufactured after the 16th can be sold in the USA UAS Declaration of Compliance legacy craft will have until next September to either buy a module or receive a firmware update that allows RID. If you want to see if there any RID compliant vehicles near you after the 16th try this free app Welcome to opendroneid.org - Open Drone ID The FAA will hold back on enforcement until December and after that who knows! Good luck America, thanks for being the world's guinea pig ;-)

FYI, FWIW, FAA pushed back 3 months manufacturer RID compliance (not for user/operator compliance) with a new date of December 16, 2022. Note this only applies to the vendors and their Means of Compliance (MoC) and Declaration of Compliance (DoC) for integrated RID (e.g. not add on module RID). Here's the federal register link with more info: Federal Register :: Request Access also check out the FAA DOC MOC site here: UAS Declaration of Compliance

How about the dongle that can attach to our existing drones? Not that I'm anxious to do that, but are there any available yet?
Do I understand that the dongle will not have to identify the pilot's location?

The comment was from Ken Booth (Autel Robotics) on their FB page. I went back and looked, and he does say the Nano, Lite and Evo 2 v.3 will be able to be RID compliant. You can pick up an Evo 2 v.2 package at a big discount right now.
View attachment 14959
probably be activated in the next up and comming update... I'll pass on anymore updates. i think the nano will complete my marriage with autel , after this we will be heading for divorce much like dji

Pilots' location will have to be rebroadcast from your phone or tablet.
Where did you get this information? My reading of the FAA "RemoteID Final Rule" state that the broadcast module (dongle) will broadcast the take-off location coordinates. The controller location is not being broadcast. And I find nothing about the phone or tablet broadcasting that information.

I emailed Autel before buying a drone earlier this year and they said they intended to update the Evo II Enterprise (only) to remote ID compliant as long as the enterprise had the required hardware. This was before the Remote ID rule was finalized. At a minimum they said there will be a module you can attach to be compliant. I believe it was back in June or July that I asked them about it.

For those interested, here's the FAA built in (e.g. standard) RID DoC (Declaration of Compliance) list as of a few days ago (no Autel on it yet). UAS Declaration of Compliance

Keep in mind that the manufactures deadline was to have been this past Friday 9/16/22 however that date has been pushed out to December 16, 2022. Also a reminder that user/operator deadlines are still a year away.

@Rubik3x

Your GCS position has to be rebroadcast as well

Within the Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems final rule, Section 89.310(h)(2) contains a requirement for the ground control station (GCS) location vertical accuracy to be within 15 feet (95% of the time).

ASTM wrote to the FAA complaining about RID GPS requirements in June 2021
Gary, the rule requires that Standard Remote ID (manufactured drone) must report "control station location". With the Module, the "takeoff location" must be broadcast but not real time control station location as with Standard.

Standard RID will be required for BVLOS ops (among other things). Those using a module will always be VLOS only.

@Rubik3x

Your GCS position has to be rebroadcast as well

Within the Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems final rule, Section 89.310(h)(2) contains a requirement for the ground control station (GCS) location vertical accuracy to be within 15 feet (95% of the time).

ASTM wrote to the FAA complaining about RID GPS requirements in June 2021
Yes, for the Standard RID in new aircraft, the control station location must be broadcast. But for the Broadcast Module RID (a dongle you attach to aircraft that don't meet the Standard RID requirements) only the take-off location is broadcast. See 89.315. The thinking is that the operator won't stray far away from the take-off location during the flight. This could still be a problem for pilot safety, though.

Reactions: Brock Inspector
The Remote ID DoC list now has entries for the EVO Lite, EVO Lite+, and EVO II:
UAS Declaration of Compliance

There's a second entry for EVO Lite, which seems to have the same FCC identifier and MOC tracking numbers, but a different serial range. I'd like to register the RID serial for my aircraft with the FAA, but I don't know how to get it. The AutelSky app doesn't seem to have an entry for it yet. I'm guessing there will be an update in the near future that allows this.

Last edited:
The Remote ID DoC list now has entries for the EVO Lite, EVO Lite+, and EVO II:
UAS Declaration of Compliance

There's a second entry for EVO Lite, which seems to have the same FCC identifier and MOC tracking numbers, but a different serial range. I'd like to register the RID serial for my aircraft with the FAA, but I don't know how to get it. The AutelSky app doesn't seem to have an entry for it yet. I'm guessing there will be an update in the near future that allows this.
i really hope we don't have to go back and report identification numbers to the faa via the website. but i agree with you, if we don't have the details from autelsky then technically the drone is not rid even if autel reports it to be complaint. i think it's meant to show intent and compliance comes before next september.

Yes, for the Standard RID in new aircraft, the control station location must be broadcast. But for the Broadcast Module RID (a dongle you attach to aircraft that don't meet the Standard RID requirements) only the take-off location is broadcast. See 89.315. The thinking is that the operator won't stray far away from the take-off location during the flight. This could still be a problem for pilot safety, though.
After watching some videos my impression is the take-off location will be broadcast, but the if the pilot moves after take off that info will not be updated. The Drone Tag brand device works on Bluetooth which is only good for a long distance in listening mode, which could limit the ability for the drone tag to update the controller position beyond maybe 30 feet away. Pilots could use this as a strategy for avoiding confrontation with people tracking them.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials