Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New Nano+ shows remote ID “broadcasting”???

RWCarr

Reaction score
I just got a new EVO Nano+ and am checking out all the options. In the Autel Sky app, Settings—> Safety, there is a “Remote ID” item and it says “Broadcasting.” There is the option to specify the “Flight Purpose” but no way to turn broadcasting off.

I have no idea if the drone or the controller has a way to broadcast the FAA RID signal.

I bought the Nano because it doesn’t require FAA registration or Remote ID, at least that’s what I’ve be led to believe.

Can anyone shed some light on what this setting actually means?

(Just checked the FAA list of RID compliant drones and it does include the EVO Nano. But, the list of serial numbers are mostly 1748CPAGxxxxxxx and 1748CPAOxxxxxx. Mine has serial 1748CPACxxxxxx and that series is not on the list. If so, why does the app say “Broadcasting”?)

Last edited:
I bought the Nano because it doesn’t require FAA registration or Remote ID, at least that’s what I’ve be led to believe.

It is true the FAA law does not require registration or remote ID for nano when flown in recreational mode but the FAA law does not prohibit it either. Which means the manufacturer can choose to include standard RID and it appears Autel has done this by using a software update.

if this is the case, since I see a DoC for the nano on the faa website, this likely means RID cannot be disabled in flight and therefore there is no switch to turn it on or off.

I am charging up the battery and will give you more details on my particular nano which also does not have a serial number in the "range" but I received the software update and will give you an idea on whether it is broadcasting or not.

Also keep in mind all US drones used for commercial purposes much be registered and broadcast remote ID regardless of weight.

I actually have a Nano+. I found the thread “EVO NANO gets RID” which says that the FAA RID compliance notice applies to the Nano and not the Plus!

I am strictly a hobbyist, so am hoping for the registration/RID exclusion for my Nano+.

Everything the FAA has published has stressed that there should be no way to turn RID off; I‘d just like to know for sure if it is enabled on my Nano+.

When the Nano+ is powered on and connected, "Broadcasting" is highlighted and when powered down, "Broadcasting" appears to grey out. However, I cannot detect any details with the apps that I am trying.

According to the release notes, all the current sw updates for all flavors of Nano should contained standard Remote ID:

On my Nano+, the Safety/Remote ID setting shows “Broadcast failed” until I power up the drone. then it says “Broadcasting.” Autel touts the fact that they don’t have geofencing, but then they slip in Remote ID without any real notice.

I live near a Class C airport that has completely banned drones out to the 5-mile limit. They don’t even allow low-altitude flying in that 78 square mile area. With the Nano+, I’m at great risk of violating that restriction because they DON’T have geofencing but WILL be reporting any overflight of the restricted area.

I’m glad I bought it at Amazon because it’s going to be easy to return.

Reactions: ADOC
I just got a new EVO Nano+ and am checking out all the options. In the Autel Sky app, Settings—> Safety, there is a “Remote ID” item and it says “Broadcasting.” There is the option to specify the “Flight Purpose” but no way to turn broadcasting off.

I have no idea if the drone or the controller has a way to broadcast the FAA RID signal.

Can anyone shed some light on what this setting actually means?

(Just checked the FAA list of RID compliant drones and it does include the EVO Nano. But, the list of serial numbers are mostly 1748CPAGxxxxxxx and 1748CPAOxxxxxx. Mine has serial 1748CPACxxxxxx and that series is not on the list. If so, why does the app say “Broadcasting”?)
You've missed the point. The Nano+ does have RID and it will broadcast RID like all new under 250g drones.

It has to be there for those pilots who use the drone for 107 / commercial use or they'd have to buy a module to legally fly.

RID is not the boogey man so many make it out to be. With thousands of new drones flying weekly, monthly, yearly - RID simply brings drones into the "manned aircraft' age and aligns with it. It has been discussed for over 3 years.

As a rec pilot you DO NOT have to register the drone and can fly all you want.

RID is simply a "tool" that mostly LE and sometimes the FAA, when out of their windowless offices can see (very limited no less due to being Bluetooth / wi-fi based) and know who may be breaking the law / rules and then not need to get a warrant to have the drone maker to identify the pilot.

As long as pilots fly legally and within the rules and don't interfere with First Responders like some pilots do - you have no worries.

I see RID as a way to get rid of the scofflaws and the FAA to lessen requirements for ALL drone pilots in BVLOS, night flying, and many other restrictions caused by what -people using drones inappropriately.

BTW - I hate many of the rules like everyone else and some like VLOS are archaic and asinine to believe many of us can legally fly living in areas where wide open flat areas don't exist, but we're surrounded by 75+ ft trees and other obstacles that lessen line of sight requirements.

Last edited:
On my Nano+, the Safety/Remote ID setting shows “Broadcast failed” until I power up the drone. then it says “Broadcasting.” Autel touts the fact that they don’t have geofencing, but then they slip in Remote ID without any real notice.

I live near a Class C airport that has completely banned drones out to the 5-mile limit. They don’t even allow low-altitude flying in that 78 square mile area. With the Nano+, I’m at great risk of violating that restriction because they DON’T have geofencing but WILL be reporting any overflight of the restricted area.

I’m glad I bought it at Amazon because it’s going to be easy to return.
And yet the Autel Nano+ allows you to set the geofencing yourself. Easy enough to do if you are using B4YFly or UAV forecast or something similar. As far as your comment "then they slip in Remote ID without any real notice." goes, have you been following anything in the drone world, and especially ongoing rules changes, the last two years? RID has been the main topic of discussion at virtually any drone site. As long as you check before you fly, which you are supposed to be doing anyway, why would it be easy to violate the law? You know what the restrictions are and it is up to you to be aware how high you are flying. And as stated, you can set the maximum height in the SkyApp settings. Once you set limits it is no different from a DJI. Unlike DJI, Autel doesn't "force" anything. They depend on the the responsibility of the pilot to know where they can and cannot fly. If you think it would be easy to violate the no fly rule, then you aren't doing your job as the pilot. And you certainly don't seem to be doing the responsible thing and that is your obligation as a pilot to know and follow the rules that apply to you and your done.

Reactions: ADOC
I think it is important to "just know" that it is there! It does not affect the performance of the drone and I do not think it is something people should be afraid of on this little drone. Just enjoy your flights and keep safety first! That includes using common sense. Happy flying!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo