Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Remote ID Update Regarding Autel Drones: Any Forthcoming?

The Remote ID DoC list now has entries for the EVO Lite, EVO Lite+, and EVO II:
UAS Declaration of Compliance

There's a second entry for EVO Lite, which seems to have the same FCC identifier and MOC tracking numbers, but a different serial range. I'd like to register the RID serial for my aircraft with the FAA, but I don't know how to get it. The AutelSky app doesn't seem to have an entry for it yet. I'm guessing there will be an update in the near future that allows this.
I wonder if the Nano+ will end up on that list? It is under the 250 gram limit so you wouldn't have to register but not sure if the FAA said ALL drones will have it regardless of weight. Not sure if the current Nano+ has the hardware already and just needs a firmware update to activate it.

I wonder if the Nano+ will end up on that list? It is under the 250 gram limit so you wouldn't have to register but not sure if the FAA said ALL drones will have it regardless of weight. Not sure if the current Nano+ has the hardware already and just needs a firmware update to activate it.
my understanding is drones under 250g must have remote id if they engage in commercial (non-recreational) activity. for some drones, that will mean adding an external rid module.

Reactions: gschulzuio
Any update on the Evo 2 V1 and V2 getting a firmware update to enable RID?
Forget about this. That is why now you can buy these drones cheaper. No sense to buy EVO II pro v1 or v2 now. Similar problem in UE bot not now. If you want, buy but sell next year. Happy New Year.

Forget about this. That is why now you can buy these drones cheaper. No sense to buy EVO II pro v1 or v2 now. Similar problem in UE bot not now. If you want, buy but sell next year. Happy New Year.
If Autel doesn't step up to make them RID compliant I hope they can come up with an affordable stick on module. Something under $100.

So long as you don't absolutely need Built In RID (BVLOS rules require it--also a waiver for now), a tack-on module might be preferable because it's not going to pinpoint the pilot's position, just the takeoff point. A module that's not system-level integrated with the aircraft is also not likely going to lock you out from flying (eg if you don't have an accurate NFZ map/poor cell reception /whatever)

Reactions: gschulzuio
So long as you don't absolutely need Built In RID (BVLOS rules require it--also a waiver for now), a tack-on module might be preferable because it's not going to pinpoint the pilot's position, just the takeoff point. A module that's not system-level integrated with the aircraft is also not likely going to lock you out from flying (eg if you don't have an accurate NFZ map/poor cell reception /whatever)
Very good points Brock. I would add that a low cost is just as important. Something like $25-$100 tops. I like the FW method that would allow it to be turned on or off depending on the drone weight and what it's being used for but then the software could ground the drone. Not good. Recreational sub 250g do not require it. I doubt I'll buy another DJI drone even though I find them to be pretty good and in some ways better than Autel. They are just too controlling for my tastes. Between the geofencing and now enabling RID on their Mini 3 drones I decided to buy a Nano+. Fortunately the Mini 2 is not getting the RID and it's exempt so I'll keep the one I have. It's a good little flyer in more windy days than the Nano+. Perhaps the two little guys will compliment each other.

I may retire my 107 for this reason. I don't want to mess with this RID mess if I can avoid it.

I have searched and not yet found a full list of Autel drones that are or will be RID compliant. The Evo II v2 is on super sale right now... I'm assuming it is because it is not, and can not be made RID compliant without an external module?

Also, I though Mfg's were not allowed to sell drones after last September that were not RID compliant?

I have searched and not yet found a full list of Autel drones that are or will be RID compliant. The Evo II v2 is on super sale right now... I'm assuming it is because it is not, and can not be made RID compliant without an external module?

Also, I though Mfg's were not allowed to sell drones after last September that were not RID compliant?
They are not supposed to sell drones not RID compliant if they were manufactured after that date. My guess is all these have been on the shelf and were made before then.

I'm waiting on the tiny $30 modules I can put on any drone. Until then, I'm not sweating it.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
They are not supposed to sell drones not RID compliant if they were manufactured after that date. My guess is all these have been on the shelf and were made before then.

I'm waiting on the tiny $30 modules I can put on any drone. Until then, I'm not sweating it.
Here's the the FAA UAS Declaration of Compliance (DoC) and Means of Compliance (MoC) site for both RID as well as OOP. Unless Autel pulls a rabbit out of a hat, it looks like the V1s will require external RID module. Watch (e.g. check the DoC/MoC site) for more external modules to appear on the market over next several months, keep in mind that you have until mid September to be compliant.

As for non standard RID, there has been some confusion, the key is that as of the manufactures compliance date (e.g. back in 2022), newly manufactured aircraft need to be RID compliant. In other words, they can sell their existing inventories as non standard RID equipped, buyers can buy them, however as of mid september 2023 they will need to be equipped with external RID module to be flown.

Also keep in mind that the sub 250g aircraft when used for hobby/rec dont have to be RID, however use a sub 250g for 107/commercial/non hobby/rec then it has to be reg & some form of RID. The key is how the aircraft if reg or not for hobby/rec.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
my understanding is drones under 250g must have remote id if they engage in commercial (non-recreational) activity. for some drones, that will mean adding an external rid module.
This is correct, the RID requirement in the US is tied to aircraft registration requirements.

Some examples:
1. You are hobby/rec/44809 and have a sub 250g drone no registration required.
2. You are hobby/rec/44809 that is not sub 250g then you have to register it (keep in mind for hobby/rec one reg good for all your aircraft), which also means that it would also require RID (standard or add-on module).
3. You are non hobby/rec/44809 then you would be 107 (unless flying 50 pounds or heavier) and each of your aircraft would need registration (unique to each aircraft) plus RID (standard or add on module) including for sub 250g aircraft.

I have a prediction. I think RID compliance date will first get pushed back to Jan. 1, 2024. I also think there will be a grace period of one year for external modules as the technology catches up to the law so for those flying a drone without RID built-in, it could very well be 2025 before it's an issue. I have no inside info. Just reading the tea leaves.

I have a prediction. I think RID compliance date will first get pushed back to Jan. 1, 2024. I also think there will be a grace period of one year for external modules as the technology catches up to the law so for those flying a drone without RID built-in, it could very well be 2025 before it's an issue. I have no inside info. Just reading the tea leaves.
Would not be surprised, cross your fingers.

Reactions: Eagle928
hope this is true. sept is fast approaching and it doesnt appear much is changing.

i guess if there is a small inexpensive external gadget that you can place on any of your orphan drones and simply turn it on, shouldn't be a big deal. if you register an external module on faa.gov, you should get a credit on your renewal(s).

Reactions: Eagle928
hope this is true. sept is fast approaching and it doesnt appear much is changing.

i guess if there is a small inexpensive external gadget that you can place on any of your orphan drones and simply turn it on, shouldn't be a big deal. if you register an external module on faa.gov, you should get a credit on your renewal(s).
So far these add on's for RID are expensive - like a couple hundred bucks

I have a second prediction. I think there will be a lot of non compliance for as long as the RID tells 'karen' where the RC is located. People will also turn off the GPS in their phones, tablets, and smart RC's to prevent that info from being broadcast by the drone or module.

Since we're doing predictions...

I bit the bullet and ordered a Dronetag Beacon stick-on module (USD $225.70 with tax and shipping). It's back-ordered with delivery estimated for mid-May. My prediction is that as soon as the return window closes on my purchase, Autel will backport RID to EVO II V1. That's how things usually work in my life.

I keep hoping Firehouse will make a strobe + RID module for under $100 USD and when they do I'll be first in line.
Also, the one use case I know about wherein you won't be able to legally do everything without baked-in RID is when BVLOS rules come into effect. (It requires a waiver now, and Part 107. There is another set of rules being promulgated beyond just Part 107 for routine, non-waiver BVLOS that specifies built-in RID)

I can confirm the following for these two models purchased May 2023:

EVO II Pro V3 (regardless of sensor) is Standard Remote ID Compliant and the sticker inside the battery compartment contains the statement "FAA Standard Remote ID Compliant".

EVO II Enterprise V3 (regardless of sensor) is Standard Remote ID Compliant and the sticker inside the battery compartment contains the statement "FAA Standard Remote ID Compliant". Remember, ADS-B In (ADS-B receiver) does not apply to Remote ID compliance.

Most authorized resellers do not have this information posted on their product descriptions for these units.

The EVO II V1 and Enterprise V2 units we own are not currently listed as compliant. I doubt they will be made compliant without the use of an externally attached module.

Per the Remote ID Declaration of Compliance document on file with the FAA (UAS Declaration of Compliance), all Autel EVO II V3 units with Aircraft Serial Numbers in the range of 1748CHL7822390001 - 1748CHN2925529999 are Standard Remote ID Compliant.

Firmware v1.1.9 for the EVO II Pro V3 and EVO II Enterprise V3 contains the addition of Remote ID support for USA (and Japan). This was successfully installed over-the-air (OTA) for the newly unboxed units. After this update is applied a Remote ID item appears in the General Settings. It will show the status of "Activated" provided the pilot information is filled in. Click on the item to edit the pilot identifier. You can input your Remote PIlot Certificate Number or any other identifier without any apparent validation by the app. The Remote ID status is also displayed in the Aircraft Status pane that you can pull into view from the left side of the screen.

When registering your drone, select the "Standard Remote ID" option for the UAS Type field. For the Remote ID Serial Number field, enter your Aircraft Serial Number (starts with 1748 prefix) for these compliant aircraft.

You will need to apply the firmware update to all batteries that you want to use in the V3 unit, even those previously updated for V1 or V2 units. Thankfully, all V1/V2 batteries work with V3 units.

On a separate note, one nice enhancement with both models is the smooth zoom now available with the scroll wheel. No more abrupt steps while capturing video! Plus, all EVO II V1/V2 6K sensor filters fit the new V3 6K sensor.

I can confirm the following for these two models purchased May 2023:

EVO II Pro V3 (regardless of sensor) is Standard Remote ID Compliant and the sticker inside the battery compartment contains the statement "FAA Standard Remote ID Compliant".

EVO II Enterprise V3 (regardless of sensor) is Standard Remote ID Compliant and the sticker inside the battery compartment contains the statement "FAA Standard Remote ID Compliant". Remember, ADS-B In (ADS-B receiver) does not apply to Remote ID compliance.

Most authorized resellers do not have this information posted on their product descriptions for these units.

The EVO II V1 and Enterprise V2 units we own are not currently listed as compliant. I doubt they will be made compliant without the use of an externally attached module.

Per the Remote ID Declaration of Compliance document on file with the FAA (UAS Declaration of Compliance), all Autel EVO II V3 units with Aircraft Serial Numbers in the range of 1748CHL7822390001 - 1748CHN2925529999 are Standard Remote ID Compliant.

Firmware v1.1.9 for the EVO II Pro V3 and EVO II Enterprise V3 contains the addition of Remote ID support for USA (and Japan). This was successfully installed over-the-air (OTA) for the newly unboxed units. After this update is applied a Remote ID item appears in the General Settings. It will show the status of "Activated" provided the pilot information is filled in. Click on the item to edit the pilot identifier. You can input your Remote PIlot Certificate Number or any other identifier without any apparent validation by the app. The Remote ID status is also displayed in the Aircraft Status pane that you can pull into view from the left side of the screen.

When registering your drone, select the "Standard Remote ID" option for the UAS Type field. For the Remote ID Serial Number field, enter your Aircraft Serial Number (starts with 1748 prefix) for these compliant aircraft.

You will need to apply the firmware update to all batteries that you want to use in the V3 unit, even those previously updated for V1 or V2 units. Thankfully, all V1/V2 batteries work with V3 units.

On a separate note, one nice enhancement with both models is the smooth zoom now available with the scroll wheel. No more abrupt steps while capturing video! Plus, all EVO II V1/V2 6K sensor filters fit the new V3 6K sensor.
Both models?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller