Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Obstacle avoidance and sunlight

rkymtnflyer

Reaction score
I’m having a flight issue and I’m wondering if others have experienced anything similar. My obstacle avoidance appears to react to sunlight. Direct sunlight specifically. Any time the sun angles are low (think golden hour) I can’t fly more than a dozen feet without the EVO hitting the brakes. I’m not talking low-light conditions; the sun is still well above the horizon. It’s really frustrating and I’m at the point where 9 times out of 10 I turn off the obstacle avoidance just so I can fly. Is this normal EVO behavior?

I think I had the same problem yesterday.
I was flying to film the sunrise on a castle, and I was at 80 meters altitude.
with the sun in front.
It is stopped, and the obstacle avoidance beep is started.
I could move him forward, but he was doing a lot!
everything stopped, as soon as he turned ?

Reactions: rkymtnflyer
This is a very common problem for a lot of people. From what has been posted on Autels Facebook page they say they know about it and are trying to come up with a fix. I think even DJI suffers from light if it hits the sensors just the right way. Most people just turn the OA off. A nice option but really not needed.

Last edited:
I have spoken to Autel about this issue after my first flight with the EVO. Yes the sunlight when lower in the horizon will completely make the craft nuts, doesnt know if to go or stop and makes for a very unpleasant experience. Autel IS aware of the problem and I was recommended to turn OA off when the light conditions are such.

Reactions: rkymtnflyer
This is a very common problem for a lot of people. From what has been posted on Autels Facebook page they say they know about it and are trying to come up with a fix. I think even DJI suffers from light if it hits the sensors just the right way. Most people just turn the OA off. A nice option but really not needed.
Gotcha. Thanks. I’m not on the Facebook so I’m probably not up to speed on all of the common issues people are experiencing.

Not sure I’m resurrecting this or just hoping theres been a fix since 2018.

I just packed mine up after some testing to see if mine was still suffering this affliction (it is). I did get a prompt on start that a firmware update is available, and I’m currently charging in hopes I can get that prompt again with a full charge.

I can fly balls-out in reverse, but no more than 3mph forward, or she hits the brakes. Maybe the later firmware has a fix?

Sun was low, but results were no different when flying perpendicular, toward, or away from the sun. No prompts ever show on the “radar” that there is an obstruction, but if OA is off, it cooks along at 22mph.

Will test again mid-day tomorrow, but glad to hear it is/was not an issue unique to my Evo, as I plan to sell soon.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDroneTN