Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Rear obstacle avoidance always detects an obstacle at 1.1m

Szeker

Reaction score
Dear All,

We are a happy owner of 2 EVO Nano+ with my san. :)
We've already performed some nice flights together - without any issues.

However, in the last few days, my Nano started to constantly report an obstacle on the rear at 1.1m - while there is nothing there. The other nano is flying just fine.

I tried it with different lighting conditions (direct sunlight, nightfall, etc. ), cleaned the camera lens, there was even a FW update since the issue popped up - it had no effect, the Nano rigorously keeps reporting a phantom obstacle in the rear.

It would be great, if there would be some SW solution, like a factory reset or so...
There is an obstacle avoidance calibration tool for Autel drones, but unfortunately, it doesn't work with the Nano - only with bigger brothers.

I'm afraid it's probably a rear OA camera HW issue or a connector issue of the camera, but I would be happy if the issue could be solved somehow by SW - without sending it back for repairs.

Any similar experience?
Or is there a way to make a factory reset of the drone?
Or any other suggestion?

Thanks!

Dear All,

However, in the last few days, my Nano started to constantly report an obstacle on the rear at 1.1m - while there is nothing there. The other nano is flying just fine.

I tried it with different lighting conditions (direct sunlight, nightfall, etc. ), cleaned the camera lens, there was even a FW update since the issue popped up - it had no effect, the Nano rigorously keeps reporting a phantom obstacle in the rear.

It would be great, if there would be some SW solution, like a factory reset or so...
There is an obstacle avoidance calibration tool for Autel drones, but unfortunately, it doesn't work with the Nano - only with bigger brothers.

I'm afraid it's probably a rear OA camera HW issue or a connector issue of the camera, but I would be happy if the issue could be solved somehow by SW - without sending it back for repairs.

Any similar experience?
Or any other suggestion?

Thanks!
Update:

I have tried what if I cover one of the rear OA camera:
- By covering one of the rear OA camera on a good working Nano+: the drone is not able to detect any obstacle at the rear, but flying without any problem
- By covering any of the rear OA camera on my faulty Nano+: makes no any difference, it still detects an obstacle at 1.1m distance at the rear, independent of which camera I covered.

Strange, but it suggests, that the problem is not with one of the two rear OA cameras.

I have the same problem on my EVO 1 but I did not crash it several times (where did all the glue go) but I have to put it into ludi mode to fly normal, Sounds like a bad Sensor.

(If you start covering something good it outside limit and can disable all.)

Last edited:
I have the same problem on my EVO 1 but I did not crash it several times (where did all the glue go) but I have to put it into ludi mode to fly normal, Sounds like a bad Sensor.

(If you start covering something good it outside limit and can disable all.)

Thanks for replying!

There was no any crash, but I assume also, that it's a sensor failure or a cable/connector issue,

Yes, that's why I covered one camera, to see, if it makes the sensor invalid, so the system should disable it, but it did not happen, so both sensors seems totally blind. However as the two camera works together as a stereo camera, it is not trivial.

It is also strange, that it reports 1.1m distance, as it can measure even less, so it is not reporting the absolutely minimum, which I would expect in faulty sensor, but it is a way more complex thing...

Dear All,

Any similar experience?
Or any other suggestion?

Thanks!
I just finished going through this with my front sensor... Had to send it in. They confirmed that the sensor was no good and they dont replace them. They gave me option to replace the drone with a refurb or replace the set with a new one under Autel care but i had to pay the deductible. I figured go for the replacement new unit. Paid 79$... They sent a new drone, new remote, spare blades, AND a new battery. When you send it in they ask only for the drone and remote with NO accessories AND NO battery.... So got a new battery out of the deal.

How I got there... Well leta just say I will always hover and grab it... I had landings where the blades dont all just shut off(how hard is it to program a full power cut?) anyway. One landing it did a dance and flipped sideways - shedding 4 blades- and likely bumped the side of the optical sensor as there was a mark on the housing there. Sporadic 9.5' warnings ever since that degraded to all the time.

Really want to give the mini 4 a try when it comes.... I just enjoy the gray area flying I can do with the nano+

Reactions: Szeker

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo