Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Correct Antenna Profile for a transmission shaper 'Windsurfer'

RJ_Make

Reaction score
I started a quick mock up of a antenna booster ('windsurfer') while I have a bit of time between projects, and I can't seem to find a good working profile. The profile I see most often uses a round variety.

I know nothing about reflecting radio transmissions, so I'm not sure if this profile will work. Anyone here have an idea? I'd like to start off with a good basis for testing, or otherwise I'll never get this done.. :eek:

P_20160913_195902.jpg

I believe one antenna is 5.8gh and the other is 900 mhz. So they cannot both be the same size. The outer shells are the same but the inside are not. Correct me if I am wrong.

This may help

http://a09.info/obelisk.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: RJ_Make
I started a quick mock up of a antenna booster ('windsurfer') while I have a bit of time between projects, and I can't seem to find a good working profile. The profile I see most often uses a round variety.

I know nothing about reflecting radio transmissions, so I'm not sure if this profile will work. Anyone here have an idea? I'd like to start off with a good basis for testing, or otherwise I'll never get this done.. :eek:

View attachment 56
its all in the testing to see if it works

So the two outside antenna sticks are the only antennas? I assumed it to be like the DJI products with three antenna.
5.7ghz control and 900mhz video is correct.

View attachment 56
I may be nuts but I would think a parabolic profile would provide best Reception and for that matter, Transmit capability from any windsurfer design. What are you using as a reflector?

I may be nuts but I would think a parabolic profile would provide best Reception and for that matter, Transmit capability from any windsurfer design. What are you using as a reflector?

Not sure, I do know that the standard 'windsurfer' design works quite well as a shaper/focusing 'scoop'?, but with the Autel RC design, specifically the FPV mount, it's pretty tight for a full round 'scoop'. I'm going to be using copper foil tape, and may also try some aluminum tape also.

This is Rev 1

2016-09-15 09_44_17-Photos.png

2016-09-15 09_47_21-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Reactions: Tpat591
Very rough first revision printed and taped. I tell you what; getting that tape in there is a massive pain in the butt. :eek:. Not sure when I'll get out to test them...

P_20160916_191843.jpg

P_20160916_191906.jpg

P_20160916_191938.jpg

They seem to be pointed down at an awful angle. How will you ever hold the TX and have them up where they can do some good? I applauded the effort so far, just curious on this observation.

They seem to be pointed down at an awful angle. How will you ever hold the TX and have them up where they can do some good? I applauded the effort so far, just curious on this observation.

I know, they do seem to be at an aggressive angle, however I believe it's the suggested angle.

I used them yesterday although I didn't have the nerve to push the aircraft beyond my VLOS. I was able to reach 3K feet with only one video lag issue. That happened when I was hovering at the 3K mark taking some pictures.

2016-09-18_13-28-57.png

I know, they do seem to be at an aggressive angle, however I believe it's the suggested angle.

I used them yesterday although I didn't have the nerve to push the aircraft beyond my VLOS. I was able to reach 3K feet with only one video lag issue. That happened when I was hovering at the 3K mark taking some pictures.

View attachment 75

Hey RJ I'd buy a set of those from ya when you get it worked out. Looks good so far man.

Reactions: RJ_Make
Yeah I think the angle is because the transmitter is laying on the desk. When your holding it in hand, it will be more upright.

Last edited:
It's been a few weeks since the last post on this test. Are there any further results for us to know?

It's been a few weeks since the last post on this test. Are there any further results for us to know?
No sorry, I've not had a chance to do the amount of testing that I need to . I've kinda put my XSP on the back burner for now.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

The shape of the rf reflector should be parabolic with the antenna as the focus of the parabola. In this manner any signal coming straight in to the reflector will be reflected to the antenna. Don't know what you based your design on but it is definitely not parabolic. On the other hand, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. So, how did it work?

Get yourself the large egg carton. Cut the top off and line it with tin foil. You will be surprised how much farther you get. This is a hillbilly antenna reflector but it works.
One of the guys on the Yuneecpilots page made one for his Typhoon H and it increase his distance a fair amount. LOL
Sometimes we give to much thought into designing something when simple works :)

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials