Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Increased transmission switching to another type antenna, and adding booster

Waldo Pepper

Reaction score
The Autel Evo 2 transmission signal is very good, very close with Mavic 2 occusync 2. In some areas they are identical, but in areas with inference or obstacles the Mavics occusync 2 has an edge.

Having used the Evo 2 these past two weeks, Very impressed with its capabilities. Sure, it has its weaknesses but it’s strengths outweigh its shortcomings.

Added an Alientech Pro 2.4 GHz booster last week, right out the gate greatly increased its range and strengthened its transmission signal in areas with extremely high interference or in areas with obstacles. With this booster, it now has a stronger transmission signal over a stock Mavic 2. The directional antennas are forgiving at close range, don’t really need to be directly pointed to Evo 2 until it’s way out there or if you’re in areas with inference or obstacles up close keep it pointed directly at Evo 2 direction.

Another positive surprise from this controller mod, using the 6” whip antennas from my Titan Amplifier they actually are much better than the Evo 2 controllers stock antennas. And surprisingly, are equal to a Mavic 2 stock controller setup just with using these whip antennas. Plus, these whip antennas are forgiving don’t really need to keep it pointed directly at Evo 2 until it’s out there.

I don’t remember the whip antennas dBi? Could be 9 dBi I’m not sure, been so long forgot what they are. If someone knows, please chime in. From the elbow bend, they measure 6 1/4” inches apiece. Think they are a straight 2.4 GHz, not Duel yeah I’m pretty sure just 2.4 GHz.

I fly in areas with obstacles, Oak trees and rough Rocky mountain terrain. My hobby takes me to these type of areas to video tape or photograph wildlife, or search for historical settlements. Thats were my Mavic 2 Pro with occusync 2 shines, its strong transmission signal is terrific in these type of conditions.

Now, My Evo 2 Pro can equal or best my Mavic 2 Pro using this different type antenna setup under these same conditions.

Has anyone else experienced this with using the Alientech Pro booster or switching to these type of antennas with the Evo 2? If you have, please share your experiences. I’m curious to see if others are getting the same positive experience, please do share.

Paul

BEF2DD90-A96D-4931-A890-03D82892786A.jpeg317277FB-388F-4E51-8105-26C42862E836.jpeg5FED1A5D-A722-49C0-B3D3-31DC32E8F7B8.jpeg

Cool info.

I built a ground station for my DJI drones which also has the same quick release connectors (as I also use Titan whips on the move (again, on a DJI)). It'd be great to be able to use this with the Autel too.

Any insight on modding the Autel controller to use the same connectors? As your connectors are identical to mine.

Is the controller easy to take apart? Where did you get the parts from?

Hello Ping,

I purchased the Alientech Pro booster from Covert Drones, Lucas the owner set me up.

The connectors may appear to be identical to your DJI connectors but they are not, I know because I have the same connectors as you for DJI controllers with my Mavic 2 Pro. The Autel Evo connectors set in the antenna hole molded to fit in and lock. The Mavics connectors will not lock and are not designed for the Autel controller, Can easily damage antenna cable at the area it exits the connector when fitting both cases back together. Just too risky, the Autel Alientech Pro connectors are designed for the Autel Evo controller, they eliminate the risk of damaging the cables inside controller. And lock, they will not spin ever as with some of the Mavic connectors did. Just be extra careful not to pitch cables when fastening controller back together, I ohm my cables before installation and after they are installed making sure I didn’t pitch or damage the cables.

If you plan with using your Titan whip antennas, that’s great but go with Autel Evo connectors. If you are handy and comfortable working with controllers, Replacing Autel antennas with Autel connectors is easy and quick. Just go on line and do a google search, internet has a video removing Autel Evo controller antennas.

I tried the longer Duel whips with the Evo 2 controller, but found the smaller 6 1/4” whip antennas work just as good. Definitely better transmission over stock Evo controller antennas, and these 6 1/4” whip antennas alone will match Mavic 2 occusync 2 transmission. If you want to increase Evo 2 transmission even more, the Alientech Pro booster will do that.

I never had the greatest performance of using Titan boosters with any of my quads, sure it helped but wasn’t that much difference as I’m seeing with the Alientech Pro.

Either way, even if you don’t add a booster with Evo 2 controller at least add the 6 1/4” whip antennas they definitely are stronger that stock Evo antennas. You’re almost set, just get the Evo controller connectors, you already have the whips.

Keep us posted if you decide to add the whip antennas, All the best!

Paul

Interesting that the connectors are different, I'd assumed all the quick release stuff was standard.

Thanks for the insight!

This is great info, as I also have a Titan setup, and have been using it on my DJI drones as well as my Evo I. Now that I have the Evo II Pro, been looking at modding the RC again. Its easy to do. For the Evo I, I bought the Titan mod for the Mavic Pro, and then used epoxy to hold the antenna connector in the RC. Works great...but had to mod the t-lock to fit the Evo RC, since the antenna are closer together than on the DJI controllers.
Checked in with James at Titan, and he told me that they will not be using the T-Lock system going forward, but instead will be using a magnetic connect system. Interesting.
I am glad that the Alientech 2.4 boosted is working for you...I tried the same on my Evo I and I couldn't get it to work as well as the Titan Atlas, so I returned it. I did purchase the Alientech 2.4 non-boosted antenna and tested that on the Evo I and found it great. WIth the Atlas, I can use it on that for the Evo I. Going forward to today....I purchased the 4-hawks SR for the Evo and will mod the Evo II RC with that. James said that they will be going with the screw on type antenna connections instead of the quick connects going forward, so If I mod the RC with the 4hawks, I should be good to go. He also said that there are no t-locks anymore in stock, and they more than likely will never be able to get them made again from their supplier. I may...take one off one of my other controllers (t-lock) and use it on the Evo II, so I can easily use the Atlas if needed.

Interesting that the connectors are different, I'd assumed all the quick release stuff was standard.

Thanks for the insight!
I think he was talking about making sure you use antenna connectors made for the Autel RC, and not do what I did and use ones made for the Mavic. The quick connects are standard from what I have seen.

This is great info, as I also have a Titan setup, and have been using it on my DJI drones as well as my Evo I. Now that I have the Evo II Pro, been looking at modding the RC again. Its easy to do. For the Evo I, I bought the Titan mod for the Mavic Pro, and then used epoxy to hold the antenna connector in the RC. Works great...but had to mod the t-lock to fit the Evo RC, since the antenna are closer together than on the DJI controllers.
Checked in with James at Titan, and he told me that they will not be using the T-Lock system going forward, but instead will be using a magnetic connect system. Interesting.
I am glad that the Alientech 2.4 boosted is working for you...I tried the same on my Evo I and I couldn't get it to work as well as the Titan Atlas, so I returned it. I did purchase the Alientech 2.4 non-boosted antenna and tested that on the Evo I and found it great. WIth the Atlas, I can use it on that for the Evo I. Going forward to today....I purchased the 4-hawks SR for the Evo and will mod the Evo II RC with that. James said that they will be going with the screw on type antenna connections instead of the quick connects going forward, so If I mod the RC with the 4hawks, I should be good to go. He also said that there are no t-locks anymore in stock, and they more than likely will never be able to get them made again from their supplier. I may...take one off one of my other controllers (t-lock) and use it on the Evo II, so I can easily use the Atlas if needed.
Hello Quad808,

Appreciate you sharing your experience using various mod kits with the Evo, Everything you touched on is valuable information. Didn't realize Titan is looking into magnetic connecters, that is interesting. I use high tech metal detectors, some companies are going with magnetic connecters for charging waterproof models. The Future of using connecters is changing, more simplified.

I think you'll like the 4-hawks SR antenna setup, that's a good move you can always mount different antennas for experimenting. I see a pic of the Evo 4-hawks SR connectors, they appear to be made for the Evo controller, to lock in place with fastening bolt inside. Plus, cable is bent as it exits the connector, this will help prevent damage to cable when fastening both pieces of controller together.
In the future, if you still need that extra boost consider getting the Alientech Pro Evo booster. I know you mentioned trying the Alientech booster setup with your Evo 1, maybe the Alientech Pro model or with Evo 2 the difference is considerly more. It does give the Evo 2 that extra boost needed to equal or best Mavic 2 occusynnc 2. It definitely gave me the transmission signal I was used to with Mavic 2 Pro.

Thanks for chimming in, terrific information!
Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: Percy

Thanks for the insight!
Hello Ping,

That's what I thought, all quick release connectors were the same. Some are molded to fit in and lock so they don't turn, that's how my Evo controller quick connects are.

Thanks!
Paul

Thanks Waldo, appreciate the information on the boosted Alientech.
Now, come to think about my testing.....I don't think I tested it with the Evo 1 modded RC - because the Alientech that I purchased was made for the Anafi RC (wider antenna connects), and I believe that when I tested it, it was only on the Anafi RC. I can see why it didn't work well, since the Anafi is both 2.4 and 5.8. It was a while ago, and I do remember the Anafi not getting good reception, so if anyone is thinking about getting the Alientech 2.4, listen to Waldo Pepper and not me on performance. Lets face it, I have far too many drones and get them mixed up!
I do like the Alientech design over the Titan setup, since the Alientech has the ability to easily turn the panels direction. The Titan setup is big, bulky and heavy....but I can use it on the modded Evo 1 RC that I have. That setup requires a lanyard in order to use it comfortably, because of the weight of the setup.

I do believe there may be a way for me to pair the Evo I RC with the Evo II drone, but not sure. If this is the case, I can test out the Titan Atlas setup and see how it performs and report back. It is good to know you are getting good performance out of your setup, especially from the Titan antenna's in a non-boosted setup. I also have the FPVLR (booby) antennas and that has always worked great whenever I have used them on a 2.4 drone.

I will open up my Evo I RC and double check the antenna wiring to make sure nothing is getting pinched and twisted, so I can be sure that all is well.

Now that my Evo II will be my main camera drone....and you saying that the Alientech boosted 2.4 performance is great, I am thinking about maybe getting one....but I do have the 4hawks on the way. I don't do long range flying, but want the most robust signal close in. Will just have to wait and test the 4 hawks, AND take a look at the Atlas setup to see if I can mod something to get it to mate with the Evo RC without the T-Lock. This may be a challenge.

Hello Quad,

The 4-hawks SR may be all you need, try this setup first since you’re not going after distance.

As far as using Evo 1 controller with Evo 2, believe it can’t be done but Evo 2 controller will pair with Evo 1. Seen this somewhere on the internet, Was mentioned.

I’m really liking the Evo 2 Pro, it’s a terrific piece of equipment for my type of flying. Hardly use the Mavic 2 Pro now and that’s probably mainly due to using Evo 2 to learn its capabilities, Both are great quads with super cameras.

Funny thing battery life between the two are almost identical with a slight edge towards Evo 2, Thought it would be a lot longer flight time. I’ll try and compare them again soon same flight path same elevation, hopefully get the results it’s suppose too.

All the best,
Paul

Thanks Paul,
great advice. Once the 4 hawks comes in, will make sure to be careful modding the RC, so as to not pinch or twist the antenna leads. I plan on doing some testing before the mod and after, and will post some results here.

Reactions: Percy
Thanks Paul,
great advice. Once the 4 hawks comes in, will make sure to be careful modding the RC, so as to not pinch or twist the antenna leads. I plan on doing some testing before the mod and after, and will post some results here.

You’re welcome Quad,

That’s playing it safe, recheck antenna cables inside controller. I do the same, ohm then after tightening the inside locking bolt to connectors before putting controller back together. It’s so easy to pitch them, or damage cable near connector area.

A flyer can check transmission signal even at short distances, I use hills to compare booster amplifier setups against non-boosted or compare different non-boosted antenna setups like you’re going to do.

Launch from same area, fly the short distance over a hill them lower drone over a particular landmark Rock, tree or something behind the hill. Once transmission signal starts to break up, document elevation levels. Usually, the boosted setup will fare better or comparing non-boosted one non-boosted antenna setup will fare better than the other non-boosted antenna setup, Very good test for comparing antennas.

My hobby is research, search for historical settlements from centuries ago. Both Native American settlements and from Spanish 1700 era to Western 1800 era.

With permission from land owners, can fly over both cattle and farm land searching for lost civilizations. Here are a few pictures from last night, around 7 pm cool evening with slight breeze flight. Because Evo 2 Pro has a strong-transmission signal with the boosted amplifier, allows the Evo to drop in low behind obstacles such as hills and oak trees. Stock antenna setup is great but for those tougher terrain areas the booster setup helps.

The rock pictures are from an earlier Native American settlement, Native Americans would prepare food on this rock. Used as a table, even sit here in groups enjoying nature’s surroundings. That was many centuries ago, All that’s left behind are the mortar holes. With high tech drones, allows me to search from the air for areas such as these to enjoy its beauty.

Plus, Allowing me to capture pictures of wildlife using high tech drones. The red hawk picture was taken last year with Mavic 2 Pro, most red tail hawks will fly along side my drones with no fear. The crane is a recent picture, As are the rabbits captured with a drone I think it was with the Evo 2 Pro using zoom, Can’t remember.

Good luck, and enjoy the 4-hawks setup
Paul
A7267658-D0B8-4B18-BEB1-597B14B073B7.jpeg10D91D88-08E1-41B8-B5EE-09642731D9DD.jpeg6CAE48C1-C383-421B-963C-5F4AE28824B7.jpeg99F89E72-E7F6-46B9-95C5-3D617E21777E.jpeg

B40F6D00-27FA-49CA-9513-CC6F81841544.jpegDD533FC5-298A-4FD6-AC43-B2A2BC19FE01.jpeg9288AD5D-F712-4E12-9C55-F9528C0D7D1C.jpegED887003-3A08-43F8-84C1-2CA10F25F094.jpeg

Love it. Real world testing vs. RF meter. I care about real world testing. Thanks for the tips!

Ok, finally had some time to do a range test today in my area. Loads of Wifi, since this is suburbs. For the distance, I fly over a forested area, then a cemetary etc. From the launching spot, there is about a 122m "hill" directly out, so range is usually limited by the hill, not able to go that far past it. Reception was great...much better than I thought it would be. Got out to 2km before the signal cut out. I suspect it may be the hill blocking the signal, but I was higher than the hill, but looking at the video pointed at return, I can see that my take off point was barely higher than the hill, so pretty sure hill was limiting factor, since signal dropped pretty fast beyond the hill. I had antenna pointed up, then switched them to point down. I am really surprised at this range in these conditions. I put the video transmission rate on 20hz, that seems to work better. I am not a range guy, but had to test this so I get a sense of the capabilities. I will still mod the RC with the 4 hawks, and I anticipate much stronger signal. Will see.

This was flown on the new firmware just released, 2.3.0. RTH landing was spot on, with the drone correcting every time as it came in.
Snapped this picture on the way back in, straight off the card. I am liking this drone.
MAX_0017.JPG

Ok, finally had some time to do a range test today in my area. Loads of Wifi, since this is suburbs. For the distance, I fly over a forested area, then a cemetary etc. From the launching spot, there is about a 122m "hill" directly out, so range is usually limited by the hill, not able to go that far past it. Reception was great...much better than I thought it would be. Got out to 2km before the signal cut out. I suspect it may be the hill blocking the signal, but I was higher than the hill, but looking at the video pointed at return, I can see that my take off point was barely higher than the hill, so pretty sure hill was limiting factor, since signal dropped pretty fast beyond the hill. I had antenna pointed up, then switched them to point down. I am really surprised at this range in these conditions. I put the video transmission rate on 20hz, that seems to work better. I am not a range guy, but had to test this so I get a sense of the capabilities. I will still mod the RC with the 4 hawks, and I anticipate much stronger signal. Will see.

This was flown on the new firmware just released, 2.3.0. RTH landing was spot on, with the drone correcting every time as it came in.
Snapped this picture on the way back in, straight off the card. I am liking this drone.
View attachment 7517
Hello Quad,

Appreciate you sharing this recent range test, I’m glad the test were better than you had anticipated. And switching to 20hz transmission rate, I was playing with transmission rate recently I’ll definitely play with it again in the future and try 20 hz as my first choice.

I see you noticed the RTH is a major improvement, my last five flights 4 RTH were spot on. It’s cool seeing Evo 2 making the adjustment on its final descent, definitely a game changer Autel is coming through with improvements.

I’ll probably be sidelined for awhile, Monday had a full right knee replacement. With the other left knee replacement to follow in 2-4 months, hopefully all goes well maybe I can squeeze in a few flights in between surgeries if my knees are up to it.

Looking forward to hearing how the 4-hawks do for you. Evo 2 Pro is an amazing drone, I’m liking it more and more it’s now my grab and go drone over the others.

Thanks again for sharing,
Paul

Reactions: Quad808
Hey Paul,
Hope your surgery went well and you are up and about as soon as you can. 4-hawks came in yesterday and I debated a good long time on weather to go with the quick connect leads that I had, or the ones that came with the 4 hawks, or I had another pair that were quite a bit longer...(SMA Female) I was looking at my Evo 1 RC and I remembered why I used the epoxy on the quick connect leads for the Mavic on this mod. I wanted to get the quick connect away from the back of the RC, so the t-lock plate could easily connect and there was enough thread to secure it with the nut. Looking at the Evo RC again, I went with the longer SMA Female antenna connectors I had and the mod went smoothly. I had planned on doing another range test but it was too gusty outside, so did the mod instead. Because of the longer SMA, I can connect the 4 hawks, or actually switch it out and screw on the t-lock plate I took off of one of my Mavic RC's. (have to mod the connecting holes closer together for the shorter width between antennas) This will work great to connect the Titan if needed, and if I don't need it, then the 4 hawks is fine on the Evo rc. Like your setup, I can switch out antennas if I want with the Titan whips and see how they do in my area. If I want to use the 4 hawks boosted with the titan setup, I will need to make an attachment plate for attaching the 4 hawks to the front of the Titan, but I can always use the FPVLR booby antenna too instead without any modifications. Will need to test this for sure to see what works best.
As I said, I don't really do long range flying, but I like having a solid signal at all times when I fly....and going with a boosted setup give you that extra "insurance" that I like.

Reactions: DownADrone
Testing update:
After modding the Evo II RC with the 4 Hawks, I was able to test, and also tested the Evo I with the same 4 Hawks, but on the Evo I the 4 Hawks was hooked up to a Titan Atlas amped system. I wanted to see if there was a major difference between the Evo I RC amped vs the Evo II RC no amps. Yes, I realize that they are the same RC's, and not the same drones - but the Evo II RC currently can't be connected to the Titan system until some cables come in.
Keep in mind, this flying area is suburbs with a lot of 2.4 noise: And the fact that I don't enjoy doing long distance flying.

Original testing with the Evo II stock Antenna got me out around 2km before video break up and total loss of signal. There were intermittent video glitches along the way.
Evo II with 4 Hawks, same flight path: No video glitches, solid strong signal. Went to 2.6km, and could have kept going...signal bars at that point were 1/2 full, no video breakup. I didn't want to go farther than that. Very nice flight. 4 Hawks, of course, gets very directional that far out.
Evo I with same 4 Hawks but boosted on the Titan Atlas - I went out to the same 2.6km, but had full bars still.

Very, very pleased with this setup. Next test will be with the Titan whip antenna, and the FPVLR "booby" antenna. By then, the cables I ordered should be in, so I can test the Evo II amped vs. non amped setups with each antenna setup.

The Evo II is fantastic. Solid flyer. The Evo I is great also. Both drones came back spot on RTH. I launched both drones from the lid of a big plastic bin with the lid on the grass. The Evo I was a little off in landing, by about a foot, so I manually landed it on the lid. The Evo II? Landed right on the lid. Didn't have to do a thing. Keep in mind that the landing zone for where I took off is only about 5m square without coming down and hitting something. Very impressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: PingSpike
20200627_085507.jpg20200627_085705.jpg20200627_085806.jpg20200627_085943.jpg20200627_090227.jpg
You can see that the 4 Hawks fits easily in the case. The 3rd pic is with the t-lock adapter on, and the 4th is with the Titan Drones Atlas attached. I didn't screw the t-lock on, nor attach cables. Waiting for cables to arrive. I don't know if the Titan will really be needed, but have to do more testing. Will try the Titan whips next.

Reactions: Guy406
Excellent work! Nice carrying case especially now, 4-hawks antenna setup fits inside perfectly. You’ll definitely get better reception with 4-hawks over stock antennas, I know you’re not after range you’re like me just need solid transmission signal for closeup areas with heavy inference. You’ve definitely found the solution, I think you’ll find the whips to be as good or close to the 4-hawks Setup. I’m using the smaller whips when not using amplifiers, Amplifier setup get a stronger transmission signal over stock or whip antenna setup.

Watched a video today with a user mounting a 4-hawks setup just like yours on his Evo 2 Pro controller. Nice setup, he flew 5.2 miles out 5.2 miles back.The 4- hawks setup did well, I’m still leaning on amplifiers to give that extra edge with my Evo 2 Pro. It isn’t that much heavier, going with Alientech Pro.

I think the modded Evo 2 controller with pair with Evo 1 drone, but Evo 1 controller will not pare with Evo 2 drone based from internet. At present time, searching for a good used Evo 1 so I can try out the modded Evo 2 controller with it, Evo 1 looks like a very good drone wish I’d picked up one at the beginning.

ive noticed less GPS weak signal popping up since going with the amplified Alientech Pro. Hopefully an update fixes this, it’s really not an issue now but it is with stock antennas

Good job there, it’s great seeing others like yourself sharing what works for them.

Outstanding!
Paul

Testing update:
After modding the Evo II RC with the 4 Hawks, I was able to test, and also tested the Evo I with the same 4 Hawks, but on the Evo I the 4 Hawks was hooked up to a Titan Atlas amped system. I wanted to see if there was a major difference between the Evo I RC amped vs the Evo II RC no amps. Yes, I realize that they are the same RC's, and not the same drones - but the Evo II RC currently can't be connected to the Titan system until some cables come in.
Keep in mind, this flying area is suburbs with a lot of 2.4 noise: And the fact that I don't enjoy doing long distance flying.

Original testing with the Evo II stock Antenna got me out around 2km before video break up and total loss of signal. There were intermittent video glitches along the way.
Evo II with 4 Hawks, same flight path: No video glitches, solid strong signal. Went to 2.6km, and could have kept going...signal bars at that point were 1/2 full, no video breakup. I didn't want to go farther than that. Very nice flight. 4 Hawks, of course, gets very directional that far out.
Evo I with same 4 Hawks but boosted on the Titan Atlas - I went out to the same 2.6km, but had full bars still.

Very, very pleased with this setup. Next test will be with the Titan whip antenna, and the FPVLR "booby" antenna. By then, the cables I ordered should be in, so I can test the Evo II amped vs. non amped setups with each antenna setup.

The Evo II is fantastic. Solid flyer. The Evo I is great also. Both drones came back spot on RTH. I launched both drones from the lid of a big plastic bin with the lid on the grass. The Evo I was a little off in landing, by about a foot, so I manually landed it on the lid. The Evo II? Landed right on the lid. Didn't have to do a thing. Keep in mind that the landing zone for where I took off is only about 5m square without coming down and hitting something. Very impressed.
After how many flights did you recharge your RC using your hawk antenna setup

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials