Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Repairs - seriously their major flaw

laheyjo

Reaction score
Website
www.joellaheyphotography.com
So, I specifically chose Autel because 'way back when' (DJI Phantom 2 release era) I had a huge issue with DJI's support - their 'required firmware update' bricked my $2000+ new drone a few weeks into having it - and their support at the time said effectively "too bad, send it back to China, but you'll probably never see it or your money again." Since then I understand DJI somewhat collapsed and recovered, but still...past burns still sting at that cost level.

I looked, I researched. And eventually I spent a lot on a new Autel Evo II 6k, extra batteries, accessories, etc... I'm now needing repairs for the 2nd time. Both times have been my own fault...sort of. The "object avoidance" is such a huge area that to realistically fly and smoothly shoot products you have to turn it off. In turning it off, the drone drifts, and the props caught on a thin branch (happens) then it power face-plants hard enough to break the landing leg (2x same spot on 'minor' crash seems to me a design flaw, but hey, it was me that crashed it...sorta).

Last time, I called to find repairs, and there's only ONE place in the world to get it repaired?!?!?! Then they said the repair wait lag was over 2 months. How can this be a business viable tool with a 2 month repair lag? Turns out the landing gear was a ***$6*** part. But "No, you can't order the part and replace it yourself."

I seriously do not want to go back to DJI, but at least they now have repair facilities available. If you're going to use the word "Pro" in your product, then you need to be able to support it in a professional lifecycle. Seriously, Autel, you NEED to fix/address this issue. And don't you DARE use the "Covid-bs" excuse. That has NOTHING to do with it. My auto mechanic doesn't say "it's gonna take 2 months to replace a lug nut because of Covid." That's insulting. Adjust your process.

I'll still use and fly (and send for repairs and wait) on my EVO II Pro 6k, but I'm also going to end up giving DJI about $1500 of my money to have a reliable backup. $1500 that should have gone to Autel.

I really feel sorry for the problem you’re having. Thank God so far I have no problems with mine but if something happens I wouldn’t want to send my drone to China and living in Greece, I don’t think I have a choice. I believe that you have a choice since the E2P is manufactured in the USA. There must be an official service facility within the States.
Have you searched for such an option?? Excuse my English.....ha ha ha

Sorry, let me clarify... Back when I had the issue with the DJI Phantom 2 it was DJI that said it's have to send it to China... hence my wanting to find a non-DJI drone and selecting the Autel Evo II.

The issue here is that they (Autel) are simply doing business like a 'small shop' and not letting other companies do repair work on their products, and as such even with the only repair facility being here in the US, they are so backed up that the last time I talked to them for the last repair it was 2 1/2 months to get it back. Today I tried calling them to start the process on the new repair, and even though they say they're open 7 days a week, I've called 4x and no answer. I've left 2 messages and no response.

The analogy I give is this: pretend this was a car. If it was a 1st run kit car, and only had a miniscule owner base and that was the way it was marketed it would be one thing. But at this point they're trying to mass produce and market as such...hell, they sell this through Best Buy! Imagine having to ship your car back to the manufacturer and wait months for a flat tire... Simply unacceptable.

I really don’t know what to say. I was under the impression that Autel being a strong competitor to DJI would care more about keeping their costumers satisfied. The company is not a small one. They engage in other activities also. I personally think that the drone community will see a lot more from them. My guess something small this time around, to compete with mini 2.
I’m very pleased with the performance of my E2P in all aspects. Listening to stories like yours makes me worry. They will blame it on COVID-19, that’s a shame.
I wish you good luck. Greetings from Greece!!

Imagine having to ship your car back to the manufacturer and wait months for a flat tire... Simply unacceptable.
This is my complaint. Why do I have to send the bird back to repair something as simple as a USB port dust cover? Unimaginable, but that's how they're doing it. Unless more people complain, they have no incentive to change.

Brad

Reactions: Theborg
I can definitely tell you guys are not in the minority. I've heard really nothing positive about dealing with the customer service side of Autel. I've only had one interaction with them when I needed some information, and I swear what should of been like a 2 - 3 minute interaction somehow spread over multiple days and I just eventually gave up due to having trouble getting information needed. Felt like there was a language / translation issue honestly.

I have had no issues with their repair service, actually I found it quite good. They would respond to my emails within 2 hours & when calling in someone always took my call.

Well that's good news- Just curious, when did you need to do it, and what did you have to fix? If I may ask.

Well that's good news- Just curious, when did you need to do it, and what did you have to fix? If I may ask.
The EVO2 Pro was sent in 2 weeks ago, got it back yesterday. It was sent in for warranty work, the upper shell developed a crack next to the battery compartment. The only issues for them to honour the warranty, it must have the latest firmware & I had to pay to ship it to them. Otherwise the service was quite good. I sent it to their Washington state location.

Update: Was never called back by them, but did receive an email from them 2 days later with instructions to send it in. No comment on time expectations. Guess we'll see. I think from this point forward I'll be relegated to using the Autel for shots at altitude where I need the 6k, and I'll end up using another drone for closer shots...which means I've got a very expensive drone that I'll end up using about 20% of the time. Not giving me a lot of reason to consider them for the next purchase.

Reactions: Sjs
I wanted a couple of replacement screws for my E2P and was told to send it it as they do not sell replacement parts. To me that's a bunch of c__p. Not happy with Autel!

• Sad
Reactions: Sjs and BradM75
Yeah, their policy cost me about $130 last time (including shipping) to repair a $6 part, and this exact same issue will likely cost me another $130. This, entirely on it's own, has taken me from someone who was very happy with their Autel Evo II and converted me into someone who will tell everyone I come across to steer clear. With so many others reporting similar experiences, it's clear that the company doesn't actually care about the end users, and is just protecting this as a money-grab income stream.

In fairness to Autel, DJI isn't any better...only there's a bigger after market because of the significantly larger user base. FWIW, I'm in the same boat for the $0.50 broken part, luckily it's still under warranty. I'm without the aircraft until it gets back from Autel, but as soon as the warranty is expired, I'll be buying repair parts direct from China and making the repairs myself.

Hopefully Autel hears this and considers selling the parts so that we don't have to go behind their backs and buy direct.

Brad

Reactions: Theborg and Sjs
So, I specifically chose Autel because 'way back when' (DJI Phantom 2 release era) I had a huge issue with DJI's support - their 'required firmware update' bricked my $2000+ new drone a few weeks into having it - and their support at the time said effectively "too bad, send it back to China, but you'll probably never see it or your money again." Since then I understand DJI somewhat collapsed and recovered, but still...past burns still sting at that cost level.

I looked, I researched. And eventually I spent a lot on a new Autel Evo II 6k, extra batteries, accessories, etc... I'm now needing repairs for the 2nd time. Both times have been my own fault...sort of. The "object avoidance" is such a huge area that to realistically fly and smoothly shoot products you have to turn it off. In turning it off, the drone drifts, and the props caught on a thin branch (happens) then it power face-plants hard enough to break the landing leg (2x same spot on 'minor' crash seems to me a design flaw, but hey, it was me that crashed it...sorta).

Last time, I called to find repairs, and there's only ONE place in the world to get it repaired?!?!?! Then they said the repair wait lag was over 2 months. How can this be a business viable tool with a 2 month repair lag? Turns out the landing gear was a ***$6*** part. But "No, you can't order the part and replace it yourself."

I seriously do not want to go back to DJI, but at least they now have repair facilities available. If you're going to use the word "Pro" in your product, then you need to be able to support it in a professional lifecycle. Seriously, Autel, you NEED to fix/address this issue. And don't you DARE use the "Covid-bs" excuse. That has NOTHING to do with it. My auto mechanic doesn't say "it's gonna take 2 months to replace a lug nut because of Covid." That's insulting. Adjust your process.

I'll still use and fly (and send for repairs and wait) on my EVO II Pro 6k, but I'm also going to end up giving DJI about $1500 of my money to have a reliable backup. $1500 that should have gone to Autel.

I've never had to send a drone in for repair but DJI was notorious as well for lack of support. On the other hand, I am very conservative with my drones to the point of turning down paying jobs that I feel will put the drone at risk. I've told many a client no I'm not flying below their tree cover or out the bedroom window of their house or taking off from their tiny boat.

I don't know if they have improved or how the recent trade restrictions will affect their support levels but for the foreseeable future DJI and Autel are it if you want top quality footage at a reasonable price and I doubt either of them offer the level of customer support customers expect after paying $2000.00 for a drone.

Reactions: Theborg
I want to provide an update on this post. Autel did get the drone back to me about 3 weeks later, and in their description they said they did find an issue with the drone so covered the repairs under warranty (though what that issue was, I don't know). A better outcome than the first time (3 weeks vs 2+ months), but I still believe that there needs to be a more robust business structure in place that includes allowing other drone repair facilities to do warranty work on their products.

All told though, I did want to say that this time was a better/faster repair experience

This could be interesting. Says similar laws are working their through statehouses across the country.

If you think you 'professionals' have it bad, consider us hobbyist that don't buy a new drone every year and Autel doesn't even acknowledge that our drone even exist. Unless you are going to buy a new drone every year or so, you better give it plenty of thought.

"We" fought that war in the 80's with medical systems, won and "In-house" service was born.
The Big guys solved their problem by keeping SW proprietary, charging 3rd party MANY thousands more for parts than a contract customer, in the end, I became gainfully un-employed ?
my suggestion if you want to give a go at drone repair; buy all the broke drones you can for pennies on the dollar, use the good pieces to fix. Spend quality time like the thread about X-star batteries and come up with alternatives.

I really feel sorry for the problem you’re having. Thank God so far I have no problems with mine but if something happens I wouldn’t want to send my drone to China and living in Greece, I don’t think I have a choice. I believe that you have a choice since the E2P is manufactured in the USA. There must be an official service facility within the States.
Have you searched for such an option?? Excuse my English.....ha ha ha
There is a service facility in California, USA

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo