Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Any regrets on your purchase?

BruteForce65

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thought I had made up my mind on the DJI Phantom 3A or 4, but after reading and researching DJI's customer service issues I'm having serious reservations.

How do you like your X-Star Premium?

Welcome to the forum!

Do not let the old rumors of DJI customer service deter you. It was once slow when they became overwhelmed with sales but that has since passed. It takes about a week for repairs in the US these days. The DJI most certainly has more features and is well tested. The X-Star while a good machine is not time tested and is brand new. They are on the right track but have a ways to go before they catch up to DJI. It really depends on what you want out of your UAV and what you plan to do with it. I am not saying to avoid the X-Star but don't write off the DJI based on internet rumors. ;)

Can't comment on my XSP experience just yet since it arrives this coming Tuesday but I do have a P3A.
Had a top shell crack just a few months after I bought it and took around 2 weeks to receive my repaired drone (free return shipping).
Still really disappointing to get a cracked shell with all the babying I gave it.
I wanted to transition to a 4K camera quadcopter and I was considering going with the P4 but ultimately the XSP is a much better value and it is probably more durable.

If I had to choose over again, at the current prices, I would have purchased a P4. The XSP is 899.00, and you can get the P4 for 1,200.00.

IMO, there are 2 advantages that the XSP has over any Phantom. 1st is customer service, they are fast and friendly. Note:That said my problems didn't get fixed and I still don't think my camera gimbal is working correctly (they insist it is) (it constantly hunts up and down while on the ground, and left and right 8-10 seconds after the aircraft makes a turn). 2nd advantage is shell thickness. It's undeniable the XSP shell is considerably thicker and just plain designed better. (using a tubular like design for the landing skids)

I picked up my XSP while on Prime day, so I saved a bunch of money, so it was a 'no brainier' as it's a good platform, it just lacks refinement.

EDIT: Oh I forgot one 'issue', at this point there doesn't seem to be any repair parts available for the platform. So if you crash, I think the most you'll going to find available is the landing skids.

Last edited:
Thanks for the candid feedback. Maybe I'll stick with the Phantom 4 and find a reputable dealer who can service it or run interference with DJI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the candid feedback. Maybe I'll stick with the Phantom 4 and find a reputable dealer who can service it or run interference with DJI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like my Pumpkin. Minor issues with FW, but so far so good. Lots of good video coming from this drone.
I'm happy with it so far.

As far as repair parts, the shells are available which come with the landing gear and screws for $69 I believe. Gimbals are 399 But don't appear available yet. As far as motors and internal components - not out yet

Reactions: clackey
At one time B&H Photos had a complete X-Star Premium for $350, and an X-Star for $250. These are just the vehicle and do/did not include the gimbal or battery.

I think it's good advice not to write off DJI because the Phantom 4 does have some advantages. I don't have a Phantom but there are those who do that prefer the X-Star.

Personally I'm happy with the X-Star. I don't think the P4 is $500 better, which was the list price difference at the time I bought mine. The actual price difference for me was $726. I only paid $674 but had to wait 3 weeks for delivery. Right now there's a P4 available on Amazon for $1099 and I suspect that the P4 may be worth $200 more. On the other hand, I think Autel will continue to improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magic Dave
Amazing what can be done when one is pissed off. Power to the internet for allowing us to tell others whats good and whats not.

No Regrets at all.

What made me buy an X-Star Premium was the reputation Autel's customer service has.

When I bought my XSP it was shipped with fw 1.1.3 so the first thing I did was update the firmware to 1.2.8. After that fw update I started to have problems with pixelation and lag issues, pixelation on my mobile device was so bad that I have not been able to tell what I am looking at, however picture and video recorded to SD card looks fine. I immediately contacted Autel's tech support, their response has been pretty good. The first guy that I talked to in tech support department was Ben, he looked into the issue and provided a work around and explained that the iOS team was working on a permanent fix. The next day he even called me to follow up on the issue. The fix was good enough for me to continue to fly but the pixelation is there.
I called back and asked if there is a way on how to roll back to an earlier fw, the answer is no. However the guy that I talked to, Casey, offer me to send the drone to Autel and they are going to refresh it with the 1.1.3 fw.

No regrets.

I called back and asked if there is a way on how to roll back to an earlier fw, the answer is no. However the guy that I talked to, Casey, offer me to send the drone to Autel and they are going to refresh it with the 1.1.3 fw.
They are providing a patch which is essentially reset back to 1.1.3.

I have had the X star premium for about 5mo now. No problems at all. Everything works just like it's supposed to. I have friends that have the Phantom and the X Star. When we all get together the Phantom stays in the box and they fly there X-Star. With the case and there support and the overall abilities of the X star premium. Really makes it the choice to pick up for the amount of money. I'm sorry DJ I but it's just not worth the extra 3 or $400 you're not getting the extra for it. I feel you get less.

Reactions: cokeaddict
I picked up my X-Star P at the NAR convention in Orlando. It was offered at $699. I was going to get the DJI Pro but the when I did some research on the X-Star, it had what I needed and when I saw the price I took the leap into droning. So far no issues and for a first time flyer, the ease of controls and app navigation I am with Autel. Customer service is very important to us newbies. All of these high end drones are good products so do your research.

I came to the XSP from a P2V (non +) so there is NO comparison. But that said, I love my XSP. I'm not one to 'upgrade' every time something new comes out so I watched DJI roll out quad after quad, with soft and firmware updates, etc. I don't nit pick every little thing so I'm doing fine. I've had my XSP for about three months now - and I love it. I'm still working with firmware ver 1.2.8 and Star Link 1.03.07. I know there's been some upgrades, but I also heard some complaints from upgrading. So I haven't upgraded either. I'm kind of a "If it's not broke, don't fix it" guy. When I hear the upgrades are rock solid, I'll go for it.

Reactions: inkdrop and dman
If I had to choose over again, at the current prices, I would have purchased a P4. The XSP is 899.00, and you can get the P4 for 1,200.00.

IMO, there are 2 advantages that the XSP has over any Phantom. 1st is customer service, they are fast and friendly. Note:That said my problems didn't get fixed and I still don't think my camera gimbal is working correctly (they insist it is) (it constantly hunts up and down while on the ground, and left and right 8-10 seconds after the aircraft makes a turn). 2nd advantage is shell thickness. It's undeniable the XSP shell is considerably thicker and just plain designed better. (using a tubular like design for the landing skids)

I picked up my XSP while on Prime day, so I saved a bunch of money, so it was a 'no brainier' as it's a good platform, it just lacks refinement.

EDIT: Oh I forgot one 'issue', at this point there doesn't seem to be any repair parts available for the platform. So if you crash, I think the most you'll going to find available is the landing skids.
$875 with 2 batteries now :)

I was leaning strongly towards DJI but was waiting for a good deal. On Ebay I found a "lightly" used XSP and got it for $701, including shipping and an extra battery. For that price, I have no regrets (and it indeed arrived as advertised, fully functioning, without a scratch on it - case, manuals, spare parts, and a set of extra props included). I'm not a hardcore video maker. I'm an amateur photographer who wanted to add some aerial shots to my repertoire for fun. So far I've been really happy.

But I suspect I would have been happy with even a Phantom 3 Standard too ... but even a Standard with case and extra battery is going for around $650. I just couldn't pass up the deal I found. But I certainly wouldn't have ruled out the Phantom.

I've had my XSP now since Nov 16 and I really like it. Takes great vid and pics. There are a few quirks, like the unstable yaw makes it difficult to get smooth panning video. That will get fixed with the new firmware....if it ever gets here. Unfortunately, I believe this company has started strong, but they just aren't keeping up with the market. In the time the XSP arrived, DJI has since released 2 new drones and upgraded the phantom 2x. I REALLY want Autel to succeed and thrive, but they've got to start introducing new products and update older ones faster if they are to survive. Would I buy the XSP again? Possibly. However, since it's introduction, the original P4 has dropped so much in price, that it's virtually the same price with more features and way more aftermarket support. If I had to make the decision again today instead of last Nov, I may very well have went with a Phantom 4.

Let me add.......
I crashed into a treeTop few weeks back and the next day a torrential downpour drowned the Gator for almost 90 mins. A bucket truck buddy got it down later in the afternoon.
Dried it out, couple cans of compressed air and a week in the rice trick.........
Flew great......
Battery........... DOA

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials