Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Torn between Autel Evo Lite+ and DJI Air 3

PaJimmyJam

Reaction score
I usually don't post on forums because I'm bad a responding, but i thought I'd give this a shot, and I'll make a point to stay updated.

I recently lost my Evo Lite+ in a stupid incident of not paying attention to wind conditions. I had no problems flying out over the ocean, but returning home was at a snails pace, and my drone fell into the abyss... now I'm trying to decide if I should move to DJI or stay with Autel. I have been flying drones for over 8 years. When talking about pro-sumer drones, I have only owned Autel, and my experience has been really fantastic. My first real drone was the X-Star Premium, and that was truly amazing. I sold that a couple years back, and took a break from flying.

What brought be back was the right price. I purchased the costco premium bundle at a really great price $900 with tax. I had my Lite+ for almost 8 months, and it was truly amazing. The pictures were fantastic (I love photography, so video is a second thought) the flights were always easy / smooth, and batteries accurately lasted around 35 min or more. As everyone notes, there are small quarks with Autel and their software, but that's all I've ever known.

The same deal is currently being offered at Costco, but I'm torn. Am I missing anything by never flying DJI? I'm really worried about all the negative talk regarding geo-fencing and having issues when trying to fly. I always adhere to local laws and use the b4ufly app before I fly.

I am really torn between getting the Evo Lite+ again since i have all the batteries and accessories, and whether I should give DJI a chance with their Air 3. Best buy has a refurbished flymore bundle with display in remote for $1,270, so it's substantially more expensive.

Hopefully you can give me a little guidance and your experiences with both Autel and DJI. Thanks!

Reactions: nhwhelehan
Well I like both brands and since I'm not a brand snob or ever get married to one brand, I'll give you my objective opinion.

I'd get the Air 3 at this point in time. Last year I would have said get the Lite+ again but Autel has been opaque about their intentions in the consumer drone market. I probably won't be buying another even though I have 2 Nano+'s and one E2P V1. I like them but if they aren't going to keep making consumer drones, it only makes sense to move on. I have no intention of selling the ones I have though because I do like them a lot.

Here's the thing with DJI, and I have 2 of them now too. They will leave you without a way to take off at times. They want you to log in to their site through the Fly App at the most inconvenient times so you have to be connected to the Internet. At other times they will geo-block you from taking off even if you have cleared it through them and the FAA. The fix for both is to use a good quality tablet that can sit in standby mode for a long time so you can log in at home using wifi then shut the drone down but leave the tablet on but the display off. Connect everything back up on location and take off.

I don't know if this fix works with the DJI RC 2 (the one with the built-in display).

I really like the Tripltek 8 I have now and the 7 before that. I did find out they use old cpu's in them though so that was a bit of a disappointment. It won't run a modern Insta360 App on its Android 10 operating system because the cpu isn't current enough even though it has only been out for a couple of years. There's a T9 now so maybe it has a modern cpu. I don't anyone who has one that I can ask and you have to own an Insta360 camera to be able to download and install it.

Since you've had Autel drones for so long, you already know to not update them if it's working good. Their software bugs are far too well known to just update them whenever a new update comes out. I'm slow to update the DJI firmware too.

Oh, this info is too late to help you but there are times when the Autel drones I've flown will fly faster in reverse than forward. I suspect there are occasional issues with the OA that slows it down.

Another time one of my Nano+ drones would not go faster than 20 mph when it should go at least 30 mph top speed. A simple joystick calibration fixed that issue so it now goes 30 mph like it should.

Well I like both brands and since I'm not a brand snob or ever get married to one brand, I'll give you my objective opinion.

I'd get the Air 3 at this point in time. Last year I would have said get the Lite+ again but Autel has been opaque about their intentions in the consumer drone market. I probably won't be buying another even though I have 2 Nano+'s and one E2P V1. I like them but if they aren't going to keep making consumer drones, it only makes sense to move on. I have no intention of selling the ones I have though because I do like them a lot.

Here's the thing with DJI, and I have 2 of them now too. They will leave you without a way to take off at times. They want you to log in to their site through the Fly App at the most inconvenient times so you have to be connected to the Internet. At other times they will geo-block you from taking off even if you have cleared it through them and the FAA. The fix for both is to use a good quality tablet that can sit in standby mode for a long time so you can log in at home using wifi then shut the drone down but leave the tablet on but the display off. Connect everything back up on location and take off.

I don't know if this fix works with the DJI RC 2 (the one with the built-in display).

I really like the Tripltek 8 I have now and the 7 before that. I did find out they use old cpu's in them though so that was a bit of a disappointment. It won't run a modern Insta360 App on its Android 10 operating system because the cpu isn't current enough even though it has only been out for a couple of years. There's a T9 now so maybe it has a modern cpu. I don't anyone who has one that I can ask and you have to own an Insta360 camera to be able to download and install it.

Since you've had Autel drones for so long, you already know to not update them if it's working good. Their software bugs are far too well known to just update them whenever a new update comes out. I'm slow to update the DJI firmware too.
Thanks for all this info. I have quite a bit of research ahead of me. Do you have any links you could share for the tablet standby fix? I'm really interested in getting that set up.

Oh, this info is too late to help you but there are times when the Autel drones I've flown will fly faster in reverse than forward. I suspect there are occasional issues with the OA that slows it down.

Another time one of my Nano+ drones would not go faster than 20 mph when it should go at least 30 mph top speed. A simple joystick calibration fixed that issue so it now goes 30 mph like it should.
Yeah, I flew extremely far away, just testing how far I could go over water. I ignored all my max distance walls I set up, and kept going at 40mph. I finally began getting a weak signal, and during the flight I had wind warnings. When I turned around with 21 minutes of battery left, I could only go 13 miles an hour. At that moment, I knew it was a lost cause, but I tried anyway. It sucks, because if I had waited a day, the wind was 1/4 what it was that day. I didn't even think to test my return... like I said, a very amateur and stupid thing to do

Reactions: Eagle928
Thanks for all this info. I have quite a bit of research ahead of me. Do you have any links you could share for the tablet standby fix? I'm really interested in getting that set up.
Here's the link to the Tripltek tablets. I'll warn you, they are expensive. I bought my T8 lightly used for about half the price of new. I sold my T7 for around half price so it all worked out in the upgrade but I did buy the T7 new. I'd do the same thing for the T9 but I'm just not seeing enough of an improvement for me to justify the upgrade. The T8 screen is crystal clear and 8". The T9 is also 8". The downside of the DJI RC 2 is the screen is only 5.5" and about half as bright as the Tripletek and Hugerock tablets.

Here's an alternative for less. They are 7" and claim a 2600 nit display.

Reactions: PaJimmyJam
Go with DJI ofc. Autel with their shady consumer support will only give you nightmares in case something happens.
Lite+ is all in all a good device, fly ok, camera is super nice(but not as good as in Mavic , but if you are not pro, will it make any difference?), accessories are super cheap also BUT if any drones regulations will change in the future, you are fucked.

I've bought Lite+ and H/W wise im satisfied, but support is **** (empty promises with no updates for months, no conclusive info from support), and i live in a big EU City, and as of now Lite+ is almost grounded (if i would like to stay legal).

If i had to make this decision again, i would stay AWAY from autel. Hell, DJI have it's drawbacks and no real competiton in the market, but companies like autel wiped themselfs from the consumer market.

I also have both Autel and an Air 3. I like both. I use the RC2 controller w the Air 3 and have never had any problems with DJI’s geofencing. They were always quick to respond with unlock requests, even special ones where they permit the unlock to stay in effect for extended periods of time.

I do plan my flights ahead of time so I have everything set up before I am in the field. I download maps to the RC ahead of time since I often fly in areas with no cell service, let alone internet.

Perhaps I’ve been lucky, but just don’t understand why people have difficulty with the geofencing.

Good luck with your research.

I usually don't post on forums because I'm bad a responding, but i thought I'd give this a shot, and I'll make a point to stay updated.

I recently lost my Evo Lite+ in a stupid incident of not paying attention to wind conditions. I had no problems flying out over the ocean, but returning home was at a snails pace, and my drone fell into the abyss... now I'm trying to decide if I should move to DJI or stay with Autel. I have been flying drones for over 8 years. When talking about pro-sumer drones, I have only owned Autel, and my experience has been really fantastic. My first real drone was the X-Star Premium, and that was truly amazing. I sold that a couple years back, and took a break from flying.

What brought be back was the right price. I purchased the costco premium bundle at a really great price $900 with tax. I had my Lite+ for almost 8 months, and it was truly amazing. The pictures were fantastic (I love photography, so video is a second thought) the flights were always easy / smooth, and batteries accurately lasted around 35 min or more. As everyone notes, there are small quarks with Autel and their software, but that's all I've ever known.

The same deal is currently being offered at Costco, but I'm torn. Am I missing anything by never flying DJI? I'm really worried about all the negative talk regarding geo-fencing and having issues when trying to fly. I always adhere to local laws and use the b4ufly app before I fly.

I am really torn between getting the Evo Lite+ again since i have all the batteries and accessories, and whether I should give DJI a chance with their Air 3. Best buy has a refurbished flymore bundle with display in remote for $1,270, so it's substantially more expensive.

Hopefully you can give me a little guidance and your experiences with both Autel and DJI. Thanks!
I agree with Eagle928. But would add one item I like that would keep me with a Lite+: due to DJI limiting flight at times (I have 3), I always have both a DJI and an Autel (I have 2) at every flight/job. If you already have either an Autel or DJI, go for the other brand. Neither in your barn? Probably I would lean Air 3.

We fly all the drones and the Air 3 has been a Incredible drone for us To Fly in the Rain, and Land on the Water.

Its has the Best Design of Any Drone including the mavic 3 Pro and love the Smaller Foot print that it offers for handling it in the Car.

With the Wet Suit its a Beast in the Rain, and We it offer some of the Fastest Panos , which is really nice compared to the Mavic 3 which takes a bit longer.

The Ony issue is that its so good, that I really want the PRO version so i can ditch the Mavic 3 Pro .

Here is the Air 3 geared up with the Wet Suit in my fleet and in action. Air 3 Link

CleanShot 2024-02-04 at 02.22.04.jpg

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water.

For me, it comes down to flying my bird when I want to and anywhere I want to, I do have an Evo 2 pro and I fly the thing anywhere I don't like a Chinese company telling me when I can or can't fly of course am being careful and very rarely I go over 300 or 400 feet, I used to have a Phamton 4 and whenever I was close to an airport it was chaos

For me, it comes down to flying my bird when I want to and anywhere I want to, I do have an Evo 2 pro and I fly the thing anywhere I don't like a Chinese company telling me when I can or can't fly of course am being careful and very rarely I go over 300 or 400 feet, I used to have a Phamton 4 and whenever I was close to an airport it was chaos
DJI is not telling you that you cannot fly , the US is putting different restrictions on DJI that they have not on Autel.
DJI does the very best with what there allowed to offer . Weight Restrictions , and Geo Zone are not DJI fault.

I Notice with the DJI adds , just about everyone of them is breaking the rules. .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
I've had both the Lite+ and the DJI Air3. I want to love my Lite+ because of it's great camera and no geo-fencing but it's too unreliable. You can't trust the drone in any slight wind condition. My Air 3 will battle the wind on return-to-home at a steady pace, even in high winds. The Autel's speeds will vary from slow to VERY slow. Why the hell is that? I just got reimbursed for a my Lite+ because of a crack in the body that looks like a manufacture's defect. Having said that, I just bought another because of the great price. They are giving these drones away for a reason. But if I were you, I'd get the Air 3 on Amazon and return it if you don't like it. It's a much better flying experience but the main camera is not quite as good.

I've had both the Lite+ and the DJI Air3. I want to love my Lite+ because of it's great camera and no geo-fencing but it's too unreliable. You can't trust the drone in any slight wind condition. My Air 3 will battle the wind on return-to-home at a steady pace, even in high winds. The Autel's speeds will vary from slow to VERY slow. Why the hell is that? I just got reimbursed for a my Lite+ because of a crack in the body that looks like a manufacture's defect. Having said that, I just bought another because of the great price. They are giving these drones away for a reason. But if I were you, I'd get the Air 3 on Amazon and return it if you don't like it. It's a much better flying experience but the main camera is not quite as good.
You might try calibrating the joysticks. I did that on a Nano+ RC and it went from a 20 mph top speed to a 30 mph top speed.

Thanks everyone for your input. Been super busy with work, and finally had a chance to respond. I made the leap to an Air 3 fly more bundle with regular remote! I got a refurbished bundle ($250 less) that looked brand new, and only 2 batteries had a single cycle count. I have Best Buy's members plus which has a 60 day return policy, so if I have problems, it's going back.

There is definitely a learning curve getting used to their software and all the warnings before flying. At first The dji app was also a bit wonky on my Samsung S24 Ultra and Tab S9. (I prefer having external devices rather than built in) originally I couldn't get the Tab S9 past the welcome screen, but after changing the font size, the full "click here to proceed" button was finally visible. Also it initially had issues with my gps on the Tab, all of which eventually worked themselves out. The S24 Ultra wasn't so bad, but it didn't like that I had shoddy internet at the time.

After fiddling with everything for almost an hour, I took my first flight... I'm totally blown away with the speed, responsiveness, and that secondary zoom camera! The software is also light years ahead of Autel, and the features when flying made everything so enjoyable. The object tracking is far superior, never drifting like Autel always did. The video modes also look far more professional than my Lite +.

So far, I'm sold on DJI. But I've only had 3 flights. I'm taking it back out again today, so I'm curious how my second round of flights will go. Thanks again for all your helpful feedback. It made my decision much easier!

You might try calibrating the joysticks. I did that on a Nano+ RC and it went from a 20 mph top speed to a 30 mph top speed.
Thanx for the input but that's not it. When it hits a small amount of wind, she just dies. My mni 3 Pro is much better in the wind

Lite + have 2 issues:
1. Speed in wind is not adapting the power in order to smooth the ride
2. The camera is too covered by props and you can see a super ugly flicker in video almost 30% of time.

I purchased one now because i found it new at 450 Euro, will keep it as backup in case that my Air3 have any issues....but is only the price the one that convinced me.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo