Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Beware Buyers - Autel’s End of Life (EOL) Product Realities

This message is for potential buyers of Autel’s UAV consumer retail products:

Ever since the sale of X-Star, Autel’s first drone, I’ve watched Autel create and sell high quality drones with excellent customer support during the manufacturing warranty period. I think product quality and customer support during the warranty period has differentiated Autel from its competitors.

Since the X-Star, Autel has launched next-evolution drones like the X-Star Premium, EVO 1, and EVO 2. When the X-Star approached EOL, the company stopped selling parts to focus on the sales of their next product. That’s not unusual as companies need to address the changing demands of their customers. What was unfortunate at that time was that since the company was small and the user base for X-Stars limited, there were no third-party manufacturers of critical parts like batteries, propellers, etc. At that time, I gave Autel the benefit of the doubt since the X-Star was their first drone - after experiencing their first sales cycle I thought Autel would learn and improve their sales and support for their future products.

As Autel announced the sales of the X-Star Premium and subsequently, the EVO 1, as each of these drones approached EOL (the EVO 1 will approach EOL in December 2021 for parts availability), there was/will be no change in the unavailability of critical parts, leaving these customers holding some nice expensive drones with eventually no way to fly them (e.g., because of the technology used, these drone batteries last 2-3 years even when treating them with the best care, whether they are used or stay new in the box).

I thought the EOL issue with the X-Star was just one single bad data point with Autel, but 3 data points about what Autel does regarding EOL with their drones suggest a sad consistent trend - I’m confident that if Autel continues this current practice with EOL products, their latest drone, the EVO II, and future drones like the EVO III and the Mini/Light will endure the same fate as their 3 previously launched drones.

This iterative cycle of winning new customers for each drone (I own the EVO 1), then losing them and starting all over to win new customers for Autel’s next drone is inefficient and exhaustive for a small company like Autel – I think this is one of the reasons why Autel cannot become a successful drone company. Instead of focusing resources on the creating the next drone so that the company can win new customers while losing its existing customers, I think the company is missing one important step in the sales cycle, which is to create an EOL parts eco-system so that current customers can continue to use their current drones, while building trust that these customers can safely purchase the next drone from Autel when they are ready to do so and use them without the fear of EOL parts abandonment. I’m not suggesting that Autel commit factory resources to manufacture legacy products indefinitely, but rather, I think they can have forge agreements with third parties to create these critical parts to appease their customer base so that Autel can then focus on their next line of products to then increase their customers on top of their current customer base.

Now, will some customers not want to purchase the next line of drones with Autel because their current drones will still be flying in the air? Of course. But the marketing advantage of building brand loyalty and encourage future purchases will outweigh any revenues lost by allowing current customers to hang on to their current drones. It’s not like creating an EOL parts eco-system manufactured by third party companies hasn’t worked before – it’s a common practice for technology hardware companies. In fact, I can’t think of ANY reputable tech hardware company that is surviving today without some EOL parts eco-system in place.

Another disturbing point (not related to EOL but you can infer when EOL happens to EOV II) – due to the chip shortage Autel has had to resort to creating a “V2” version of the EVO II which render users of “V1” EVO II’s incompatible with components of the EVO II “V2”. In other words, there are no additional V1 components being produced (and this is during the current sales cycle of the EVO II). Think about all these V1 users who purchased the EVO II before this announcement on 6/4/21 – since there are no compatible parts for their Smart Controller and/or Live Deck – they are all out of luck if these parts fail. To be fair, Autel is saying the chip shortage is what led to this “V2” version, but I would at least think that Autel should better support their EVO II customers by offering them an incentive to switch up to the V2 version.

I guess all this EOL management stuff wouldn’t matter much if we were buying toys. But these drones are expensive and regulated by the FAA, with safety first as the utmost priority. Some customers use these drones for commercial purposes and so making sure they are safely flying the skies is that much more important. I fear that without an EOL parts eco-system that Autel will see more of their older drones malfunction and cause harm – with the current sentiment towards drones as the “bad guy” I don’t think Autel would appreciate that kind of negative media.

So potential buyers - Please consider this point above when making your purchase.

To Autel Management:

Continuing to perpetuate current practices on unavailability of EOL parts is making your resources work inefficiently by creating these stellar products only to have them “fall off a cliff” at EOL. This compels your company to resort to perpetually restart the sales cycle with the next shiny drone hoping to capture a new group of customers rather than reaping dividends from all the hard work done earning your existing customer base (think of it as trying to increase the value of your investments without the benefit of compound interest, or at best, a lower interest rate than what you deserve). How many more sales cycles do you think your brand can survive until your potential customers realize that your products’ parts are abandoned at EOL and, at best, become nice-looking models on desks or hanging off ceilings?

I sincerely hope someone from Autel is reading this message because I’m really rooting for this company to be around. However, without taking an honest introspection of themselves and addressing EOL parts concerns I don’t think Autel can consider themselves a serious long-term player in this market as existing competitors evolve and new competition emerges.
Cogent and well written. Kudos.

Reactions: jlanni and Dsixty6
" Flagship EVO 2 Pro 6K " is with the right choice of 6K camera that out shines all other DJI drones.
Please, fix all firmware issues until it shines !
**--** You are miserably stuck in between a hard place and a rock with software and firmware development, far too many models and
" Grease Monkey's " as your choice
of development staff.

Shame on you for abandoning your
" Flagship EVO 2 Pro 6K "
Not yet ready for smoother video capture, full of jerky movements. Don't you know those jerky camera movements cause " Dizziness " to the viewer !
Please fix the firmware.

* * Accurate Aircraft orientation display on Remote screen is very important ! "

**--** Out Of the Box finished product to the customer:
not just the promise of completion at some future date.
These "tough times" you speak of seem to have been going on for quite some time now.
Lies after lies trying to cover-up your
Autel's stupidity and incompetence !

The question is, how much time we need to give Autel Customers Service knowing they are fooled
and betrayed us.
A. 3 Months
B. 6 Months
C. 9 Months
D A year
or
E. A year and a half or maybe 2 years by now and Goofing?

Not once have you said " Do not worry about your warranty as we will extend it with a " Smile "
and a apology for unforgivable
customers support and customers should not be forced to pay for
any repair caused by Autel's stupidity and incompetence !

Firmware uploads that does not verify the host hardware before any software installation.

What a Mess they created, and now a cover-up !
You decide.

**--** In the mean time I have migrated to DJI's Flagship Air 2 S, a little " Beast "
Quality, sharpness and clarity is second best after Autel's Flagship EVO 2 Pro 6K.
It has a good camera but the promise of completion
at some fuzzy date in the future, full of jerky camera movements causing it not to be good enough
for smoother video !

A long way to go, not yet finished your firmware for Autel EVO2 Pro 6K V-1

Reactions: jlanni
As the owner of a V1 just before the announced V2. Was a tad miffed at what appeared to be abandonment and no offer or mention of a upgrade path for the inconvenience.
I am wanting to buy a sub 240g drone and would like to buy an Autel Nano+ but am a little gun shy given what happened last time.
Having a look at parts available for DJI and Autel it is obvious there ar more possibilities for DJI repairs than Autel.
My v1 is currently with Autel. They have had it for a week so far and will email them today to see what's what.
Hopefully I will get it back before the end of autumn. Thankfully I do not use it for work.

" Flagship EVO 2 Pro 6K " is with the right choice of 6K camera that out shines all other DJI drones.
Please, fix all firmware issues until it shines !
**--** You are miserably stuck in between a hard place and a rock with software and firmware development, far too many models and
" Grease Monkey's " as your choice
of development staff.

Shame on you for abandoning your
" Flagship EVO 2 Pro 6K "
Not yet ready for smoother video capture, full of jerky movements. Don't you know those jerky camera movements cause " Dizziness " to the viewer !
Please fix the firmware.

* * Accurate Aircraft orientation display on Remote screen is very important ! "

**--** Out Of the Box finished product to the customer:
not just the promise of completion at some future date.
These "tough times" you speak of seem to have been going on for quite some time now.
Lies after lies trying to cover-up your
Autel's stupidity and incompetence !

The question is, how much time we need to give Autel Customers Service knowing they are fooled
and betrayed us.
A. 3 Months
B. 6 Months
C. 9 Months
D A year
or
E. A year and a half or maybe 2 years by now and Goofing?

Not once have you said " Do not worry about your warranty as we will extend it with a " Smile "
and a apology for unforgivable
customers support and customers should not be forced to pay for
any repair caused by Autel's stupidity and incompetence !

Firmware uploads that does not verify the host hardware before any software installation.

What a Mess they created, and now a cover-up !
You decide.

**--** In the mean time I have migrated to DJI's Flagship Air 2 S, a little " Beast "
Quality, sharpness and clarity is second best after Autel's Flagship EVO 2 Pro 6K.
It has a good camera but the promise of completion
at some fuzzy date in the future, full of jerky camera movements causing it not to be good enough
for smoother video !

A long way to go, not yet finished your firmware for Autel EVO2 Pro 6K V-1
My Evo 1 may not be the flagship in Autel's beliefs but it is to me, as long as it is still functioning. Why? Because it does everything that I ever needed it to do. I could have purchased any craft that I needed and chose this. What I did not choose was a company that its head would swell so quickly that they thought they needed to abandoned those that still had a use for their purchase. It worked for the VW Beetle and it would have worked for Autel. They will throw you aside as well if they have not already. For this reason alone I would not possess another Autel product of any sorts at any price. I do not wish Autel or anyone poor fortune, I just will not be a part of Autel's poor treatment of it's customers. When Discussing drones outside of here, I bad mouth Autel to no end. One good turn deserves another.

Reactions: G_G

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller