Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

What Micro SD card speed is really optimum?

I have had the slow card speed error with the factory cards that came with my Evo 2 Pro. I have not had any error message with the Samsung 128gb cards. Both 6k 30 and 4k 60 video has been clitch free for me with the Samsung cards. I have three of them and they all work great in this and my Mavic 2's.

So I wonder if this couldn't be a production issue then because these are the exact same card I do use in my Mavic 2 pro and were flawless but do give me slow write speed errors in the Evo2, both cards even, after about 30 seconds of 6k shooting I got slow write errors with these exact same cards, even slow speed warnings shooting in 4k, its why I went down to 2.7k to finaly get usable footage. Tried the 64 and the 128 I have here, and these are card's that my Sony A7R4 shoots 4k on with no issue and its picky camera with some cards. Both drone we have been using here have serial numbers only about 100 off, they very well could of been produced the same day. Also wondering if this couldn't be rooted in the quality of the MMC, because I ran it through crystal mark and it gave some very piss poor results that mathematically wont even support 4k, (Slower benchmark than the memory card the drone came with) I chalked it up to being MMC and running on a USB C but now I'm wondering that isn't related to the issue here.

It also appears I may be mistaken about the app being the root of my issue, it clearly amplifies the amount of dropped frames but I have been going through footage I shot yesterday with only the remote in 6k on a V90 card, MP4, no color profile, AWB and its just not usable, noticeable frame drops that i don't want to have to explain to someone in the final project. V90 cards should not be giving slow speed errors shooting at only 4k30p either, there is definitely a serious issue with that. I have not been able to find one memory card that did not at one time during recording flash the slow speed warning in the app and then that resulting file have dropped frames.

Last edited:
I have had the slow card speed error with the factory cards that came with my Evo 2 Pro. I have not had any error message with the Samsung 128gb cards. Both 6k 30 and 4k 60 video has been clitch free for me with the Samsung cards. I have three of them and they all work great in this and my Mavic 2's.

Are you using iOS or Android phone/tablet?

Still haven't gotten my hands on an iPad but I did try shooting all morning in 6k with .MOV container..........not one slow speed warning. Have not had a chance to go through the footage with a fine tooth comb but it looks OK on first glance. I flew 3 batteries and never got the slow speed warning shooting in .MOV and 6k with a V90 card and using the app. Was shooting MP4 prior.

Reactions: parkgt
Has there been an agreement on SD cards? My EVO II 6K Pro arrives tomorrow and I want to make sure I have the best SD card for shooting 6K videos. I *** the card they ships with the drone is adequate, just need a larger size.

I have seen cards with 8K capability but curious if any other cards will work.

Has there been an agreement on SD cards? My EVO II 6K Pro arrives tomorrow and I want to make sure I have the best SD card for shooting 6K videos. I *** the card they ships with the drone is adequate, just need a larger size.

I have seen cards with 8K capability but curious if any other cards will work.

I am currently using a lexor 1800x V90 card for 6k, while the slow speed warnings are greatly reduced I can not get more than 5 solid minutes of 6k video without encountering them, that goes for all the cards I have tried, V90 and not, I have found no memory card that at one point or another during the flight did not give me a slow write speed warning.

There is only one other V90 Micro SD I have not tried, The Verbatim 64GB Pro II Plus 1900X but at this point I am pretty sure the issues I have encountered are actually memory card related, you get what you pay for with memory cards, I have a verbatim on the way to try and hopefully remedy this issue for good, it does have twice the write speed of any other V90 Micro SD on the market.

Last edited:
I recommend Samsung or Sandisk SD cards. They have turned out to be the fastest cards within a bunch of identical cards.

I've been working with Autel on this. I need to send mine in for repairs. My manual focusing seems to be backwards also. I get slow write errors even in 4k 30fps no-log, but my card reads and writes at 80MB's (that's megabytes, not megabits) so that should be a non-issue. My camera app really just locks up from time to time. I can't change to manual focus, exposure modes, and it won't stop recording. Other times it's fine when I don't touch anything, but it happens for sure at least once per battery. My biggest gripe is that they want me to pay for shipping. This thing is only two weeks old and came out of the box defective. Does that seem fair? I'm tempted to just return it to the company I purchased it from and get a refund, but then I'll be stuck with a bunch of accessories that I can't use. Oh, I'd replace it with a Air S2... Don't mind me, just a little upset.

I ran tons of tests to see if I could isolate the issue. Let me know if you're interested in what I tried.

Anthony, I've been using a SanDisk Extreme 128GB, V30, U3, A2 without any issues. I usually fly in Manual mode and record H.265, 4K/30, LOG, .mp4 continuously for 20 minutes or more. I get nice smooth 10-bit recordings at ~105 Mbps. I have recorded in other modes, including 4K/60 and 6K/30 without problems. I hope this helps you narrow down the problem.

Anthony, I've been using a SanDisk Extreme 128GB, V30, U3, A2 without any issues. I usually fly in Manual mode and record H.265, 4K/30, LOG, .mp4 continuously for 20 minutes or more. I get nice smooth 10-bit recordings at ~105 Mbps. I have recorded in other modes, including 4K/60 and 6K/30 without problems. I hope this helps you narrow down the problem.
Thanks for that. Yes, it sounds like my orange beauty needs to go in for some work. But it's nice to know that I don't need a more expensive card.

A common misconception is that MB/s is the same as Mbps. (The first expression of MB/s is bytes, the second is bits, the difference is there are 8 bits to every byte so the first expression contains 8X as much data.) This mistake leads people to think their V30 card is the problem. A V30 card has a minimum sustained write speed (30 MB/s or 240 Mbps) that's twice the maximum bus rate and card writing speed (15 MB/s same as 120 Mbps) of the Evo II series. Faster cards can be installed but the extra pin of the MicroSD V60 and V90 second lane that would enable the faster speeds doesn't exist in the Evo II card slot, so no gain there. (Only benefits are faster transfer from the card once removed from Evo II to the computer if you've got a fast enough card reader, and maybe future proofing, but V30 cards are so much less expensive you're really throwing money away for using them in a drone). That all said it appears there indeed may be a recent bug falsely reporting slow write speeds. I've seen this slow write speed message myself (but only since updating to v.2.6.22) using V30 cards, with no dropped frames and no effect on my 4K 60 video footage.

Reactions: Anthonydotcom
That's good to know. I didn't realize the EVO wasn't able to take advantage of the extra pins on the v60's. And that was also a great explanation of bits and bytes. I try not to correct people on the interwebs as I also see a lot of people confuse the two. But yes, the increase in xfer speed from the card to the computer is kind of nice to have, just not sure if it's worth the extra premium over the v30.

I picked up a couple of PNY Pro Elite 256GB cards on sale at Wally World. So far, so good. I usually use Samsung or Sandisk.
Just by way of an update, the PNY Pro Elite cards have worked flawlessly, which is pretty impressive considering the complexity of some of the stuff I shoot (especially where there's foliage) and the fact that I always shoot in 4K/60. I just ordered two more.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d