Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

What larger phones / small tablets is everyone using with their Evo?

These adapters should take care of most tablets! I Fabbed them up so I could use a lenono tablet and my Ipad Mini once the IOS app is done!

Autel Evo Tablet Mount/Grabber Lenovo,Samsung Galaxy, IPAD mini, PRO,Air | eBay
Looks very similar to the EVO iPad extender I bought from eBay UK for £3 and change. Amazing service: the jaw opening at the top wasn't wide enough to fit over my iPad Mini2 so the vendor produced a replacement to my specification, with an 8mm jaw opening - on Christmas Day! It now fits like a glove, holds the iPad securely and will do for me. My guy also ships to the US but that cost is disproportionate.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
I will jump in to the fray here...I have:
Evo
Anafi
Mavic Pro
Mavic Pro platinum and a huge amount of home builds. Been around a while. My Mavics are completely unlocked with no restrictions.
Cheapest best phone for Mavic, or GO use with a very, VERY bright screen? Huawei Ascend XT2, but this doesn't work well with that Evo app for some reason. I find it lags on the video, but it shouldn't, since it is plenty powerful enough.
Samsung S9+, S8, I think S7 and the note line from Note 8 I think... - mega bright screen in sunlight. Set your screen on auto, and prepare your eyeballs. Much brighter than manual in direct sunlight. Don't need a shade.
Tablet - I bought the Huawei M5 8" tablet. Best tablet I have ever used...smooth, loads of power, excellent sound and gorgeous screen. Chews up all apps and spits them out easily. Screen is bright, but you will still need a sunshade in direct sun.
You can find tablet holder extensions like the one above on thingiverse...if it doesn't fit your tablet, meaning your tablet may be too thick? Just heat up the 3d printed piece and bend it to be wider. Easy solution.

Maybe a bit of blue sky thinking is needed. Your mobile device doesn't need to be attached to the remote controller except by a cable. So a hands-free semi-rigid neck cradle might do the job…

…like this …or this.
Thank you for your blue sky thinking...sounded good to me so I ordered the Moko Lazy Holder. Works like a dream...just make sure your USB cable is data transfer capable. Any lazy neck holder should work.

Ipad pro 9.7 wifi+cell with liftor sif for evo and sunshade + antiglare screen protector on ipad. Nothing better for me right now.

So I just got the EVO and like it so far. I was partially swayed by the discussion on this thread since I still use a LG Stylo 3 as an actual phone. My Stylo wouldn't work with the Explorer app.

After talking to Alexandro (the guy on the Autel tutorial videos), we found that my phone is charging when plugged into the controller's mini USB and USB ports, but still won't "GO FLY" with the app. A bit annoying, but I had another LG phone without network service (a Tribute 2 - I'm kind of a tech hoarder) and when I plugged it in, the Explorer app connected to the controller and functioned OK, especially on airplane mode. Kind of weird that the "optimized for Android 8" app wouldn't work as advertised on my Android 7 Stylo, but works OK with my Android 5.1.1 Tribute... ?

Anyway, off to find an el-cheapo Droid tablet to go with this admittedly pretty good drone...

So I just got the EVO and like it so far. I was partially swayed by the discussion on this thread since I still use a LG Stylo 3 as an actual phone. My Stylo wouldn't work with the Explorer app.

After talking to Alexandro (the guy on the Autel tutorial videos), we found that my phone is charging when plugged into the controller's mini USB and USB ports, but still won't "GO FLY" with the app. A bit annoying, but I had another LG phone without network service (a Tribute 2 - I'm kind of a tech hoarder) and when I plugged it in, the Explorer app connected to the controller and functioned OK, especially on airplane mode. Kind of weird that the "optimized for Android 8" app wouldn't work as advertised on my Android 7 Stylo, but works OK with my Android 5.1.1 Tribute... ?

Anyway, off to find an el-cheapo Droid tablet to go with this admittedly pretty good drone...
@Mr Tombstone Make sure you get something with at least 1.5 gigs of RAM. I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7" dedicated to just the EVO. It works flawlessly. I added the Lifthor monitor mount and a Small Rig sun hood. super solid setup.

Attachments

• DSCN6007B.jpg
    DSCN6007B.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Tombstone
Hello everyone,

just got my Evo today and I'm extremely impressed! Such a solid build and just one short flight so far, but all I can say is 'wow'.

I had originally been planning on using my iPad mini 4 with the controller but waiting for a adapter to arrive so I flew with my iPhone 6 just now. You know, with the screen on the controller, it wasn't half bad with the smaller device and I especially liked the non-cumbersome handling of it. Got me to thinking about buying a device that will still fit in the controller bracket but just dedicated to flying. I initially thought about something along the lines of an iPhone 6 Plus or similar but with the delay on the iOS app, I am wondering what other brands, even though running Android, might also be a good option. I saw in another forum (Mavic Pro) lots of people like the Huawei Ascend xt2 and some others. I thought I'd see if anyone here has any feedback on what they are suing and if there are any caveats to be aware of. I'd ideally like to find something with about a 5.5" screen that is good and stable but not too pricey too.

Thanks for your input!
Nokia 5 and Lenovo 10 in. tablet

Getting tired of squinting to see details on my phone's screen while flying, even though it's a larger phone than most. I just can't see enough detail. Also tired of the limitations of the Exlporer App for iOS so I dug out my Toshiba Thrive Android tablet. Went on the Google Play store to download the Explorer App for Andriod and couldn't find it. It wouldn't show up on the entire site. Tried again another day and suddenly there it was so I tried to download it. In the process I got the error message saying my device was not compatible with the App. WHY? I can download and run all kinds of other apps with great success but not Explorer. What are the actual requirements?

Hello everyone,

just got my Evo today and I'm extremely impressed! Such a solid build and just one short flight so far, but all I can say is 'wow'.

I had originally been planning on using my iPad mini 4 with the controller but waiting for a adapter to arrive so I flew with my iPhone 6 just now. You know, with the screen on the controller, it wasn't half bad with the smaller device and I especially liked the non-cumbersome handling of it. Got me to thinking about buying a device that will still fit in the controller bracket but just dedicated to flying. I initially thought about something along the lines of an iPhone 6 Plus or similar but with the delay on the iOS app, I am wondering what other brands, even though running Android, might also be a good option. I saw in another forum (Mavic Pro) lots of people like the Huawei Ascend xt2 and some others. I thought I'd see if anyone here has any feedback on what they are suing and if there are any caveats to be aware of. I'd ideally like to find something with about a 5.5" screen that is good and stable but not too pricey too.

Thanks for your input!
Using a Samsung Galaxy S2 8" No problems at all...

nvidia shield and iPad Air2
Getting tired of squinting to see details on my phone's screen while flying, even though it's a larger phone than most. I just can't see enough detail. Also tired of the limitations of the Exlporer App for iOS so I dug out my Toshiba Thrive Android tablet. Went on the Google Play store to download the Explorer App for Andriod and couldn't find it. It wouldn't show up on the entire site. Tried again another day and suddenly there it was so I tried to download it. In the process I got the error message saying my device was not compatible with the App. WHY? I can download and run all kinds of other apps with great success but not Explorer. What are the actual requirements?
Well, you say you "dug it up" maybe you need to update the system, I don't remember what minimum android version is required, but maybe you are not meeting the minimum requirement?

Congrats!! So glad you decided to join our side!!

I use an LG V30. It's my main phone and I love it. Probably too pricey to just use for the drone though.

You had a Mavic before, right? How does it compare with the Evo?
I can't get my LG V30 to connect. Any ideas? I just got the drone and tried to connect with it. I used a friends phone to see if it would connect and it connected right away. Did you have to do anything to get the V30 to connect?

Thanks for any info

I can't get my LG V30 to connect. Any ideas? I just got the drone and tried to connect with it. I used a friends phone to see if it would connect and it connected right away. Did you have to do anything to get the V30 to connect?

Thanks for any info
I use a LG K20 phone and it works beautifully. I assume it's an older version than the V30. If I assume correctly your phone should work fine. Of course we all know what "assume" can mean.
butch

Did the thrive even get updated to android 4? (Ice Cream Sandwich) But I think Explorer app has a minimum of Kit Kat aka, 4.4? That said I had tons of issues with it on Pie, (Android 9) but no issues since beta 6 on Android 10. (I wish google had stuck with food names)

I use a dedicated Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7" with a little block of wood and some velcro so it sits in the holder for flying my EVO. Looking to get a tablet adapter. I have seen a few around just have to get my hands on the right one. The Tab with a sun shade works great for me.

I use a Navidia k1. I have a home made adapter that i attach to the controller and a tablet holder attached to it. Also i have just the cross piece of a Thor system attached to the handles. Makes the controller feel like its got some mass to it.

Attachments

• IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0113.JPG
    IMG_0113.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
I use a Google Pixel 2 XL, a Nexus 9 tablet or an iPad 2018. I use the Lifthor tablet holder for the latter. Unlike the DJI Go4 app, Explorer works seamlessly with all 3 devices.

Hey guys, I have a spare new Stylo 3 plus I will ship for $100 . Lower 48 only. PM me if interested.

I have 2 but keeping one for the EVO of course.
how does it fit in the controller? tight etc?
is there any need to have cell service?
can we just tie it into wifi to download the app/apps and updates?thanks for the info

Because of the brightness of the display, I got a ASUS Zenpad 3S to use with the EVO. I am now searching for a little longer cable to hook it up and I've ordered a tablet grabber to hold it . . . can't wait to fly!!!
How is the Resolution , i'm old also lmao, and need something bright, very clear. no lagging LOL

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d