Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

What larger phones / small tablets is everyone using with their Evo?

The display is better, but not so much as to make me cough up a bunch of $$$ if I already had a Tab A. The real diff is in the processing capabilities. I don't think you're gonna have much luck with 4K 60FPS with the Tab A. But, I was wrong once <grin>
My advice - try the Tab A, using it as you choose, and keep it if you're happy...
i've been using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 6 for over a month. It has ample processing power and a super bright mode, Works great! Oh and you are receiving a 720p feed to your controller so the monitor has nothing to do with 4K 60p.
DSCN5900.JPG

Just going to shoot this comment in here...concerning the EVO controller phone clamp. It barely opens far enough to hold my iPhone 6sPlus. It is stretched to the max to get this phone in there. Using the phone in it's Otter case is out of the question. I have to completely break down the case and get the phone out (not an easy task) and then squeeze it into the clamp. Not real happy about that as I would prefer being able to keep my phone protected. The marketing approach Autel used when showing how the controller screen could show the live video was interesting. They said "live video can be seen on the controller screen without a phone, in case you have dropped your phone and broken it". They are forcing me to remove it from the case and fumble around to get the phone into the controller clamp, which may possibly cause me to drop my phone and break it.

The marketing approach Autel used when showing how the controller screen could show the live video was interesting. They said "live video can be seen on the controller screen without a phone, in case you have dropped your phone and broken it".
When and where did Autel say that? It doesn't sound like something they would ever have needed to say.

Thanks. It was a strange thing to say imho as it could be construed as meaning that the EVO clamp doesn't hold a phone securely. But the marketing guy is young so still has much to learn.

On your main point, you could always attach a clamp-sized batten to the back of your phone case with Velcro. My iPad Mini (see post #37 above) is in a transparent plastic protector and so I don't even have to stick Velcro onto the device itself.

I think Autel may have been guilty of disinformation about the size of the clamp. I saw in a couple of places their customer support guys quoted as claiming it would hold devices up to 6in high - whereas the max opening is 82mm (about 3 ¼") high. And afaik, this important information is missing from all their specs, literature and promotional material, which is a pretty poor show.

does anyone noted that on Ipad autel explorer app only available thru upscale? I mean it's only iphone app upscaled to fit Ipad? Is it normal or i just missing native Ipad app?

does anyone noted that on Ipad autel explorer app only available thru upscale? I mean it's only iphone app upscaled to fit Ipad? Is it normal or i just missing native Ipad app?
Yes. The only models which don't upscale are the original iPad and iPad Mini plus the iPad 2. All later iPads have a higher screen resolution than the maximum 1920x1080 that Autel can deliver.

Apple laptop, & smart phone work better and are more superior andriod

Alright, I'm kind of phone illiterate. If I buy a used phone, do I need cell service on it or can it be used solely for the Evo without it?

Reactions: MMaserati
Me too. The EVO flies fine without any mobile device attached but if you want to use the intelligent flight modes (waypoints etc), they are only accessible via a phone or tablet. You will also need a device with wi-fi (not necessarily cellular) in order to go into Google maps and cache one or more maps of the area you want to fly in.

You can also update the firmware without an attached device - as long as you can download the update file to a PC and then copy it across to the EVO's micro SD card.

Alright, I'm kind of phone illiterate. If I buy a used phone, do I need cell service on it or can it be used solely for the Evo without it?
You need to make sure that it isn't an older prepaid verizon phone or they will make you activate it. However, most newer phones (2015 +) don't make you buy a plan. I would get a used android phone like the S7 or S8.

@Kingpeta You can use a phone w/o cell service. You can log on to your wifi at home with it to load the app and just use it as a monitor for your controller.
Thank you that’s just what I was hoping to hear. Right now I’m using my iPhone 6 and finding it a bit small for my aging eyes.

You need to make sure that it isn't an older prepaid verizon phone or they will make you activate it. However, most newer phones (2015 +) don't make you buy a plan. I would get a used android phone like the S7 or S8.
Just what I was looking at!

Using a note 9 here... I know over OTG/USB-C it can do HDMI out.. but not sure if there's some magic to get it into the HDMI input of my Fat shark goggles. Probably can't because the way OTG is. But the Note 9 stylus really helps with stuff and pointing at it on the screen.

Reactions: Cyberjunkie
Are you having any issues with the flight record using the note 9? I am unable to sync my flight records and the flight records that are recorded on the note 9 have a giant Google logo through them. I can fly with my wife's S6 phone (tiny display) and the records are there without the giant logo and they will sync but the note 9 will not sync so I can't see flights from other devices. No one seems to have a clue what's going on. Autel says they don't have a Note 9 to see if they can duplicate the problem, so they have offered no help. I didn't have this issue for the first 10 or so flights then I called Autel support about a screen resolution question and they had me uninstall and reinstall the Explorer app and from that point on, flight record issues. Now I have no reliable flight records. I'm keeping records on paper for 107 purposes.

I came up with the fix for my problem! Everything is normal now all flight records are now on my Note 9 and I can now sync my flights. I would be surprised if eventually we don't see others with the same problem. In case others have this problem, the issue is screen resolution. If you go into settings-display-Screen Resolution, there is three possible settings on the Note 9, HD+ 1480x720, and FHD+2220x1080 and also WQDD+2960X1440. The screen resolution cannot be HD+1480x720, either of the other two settings will work.

Hello everyone,

just got my Evo today and I'm extremely impressed! Such a solid build and just one short flight so far, but all I can say is 'wow'.

I had originally been planning on using my iPad mini 4 with the controller but waiting for a adapter to arrive so I flew with my iPhone 6 just now. You know, with the screen on the controller, it wasn't half bad with the smaller device and I especially liked the non-cumbersome handling of it. Got me to thinking about buying a device that will still fit in the controller bracket but just dedicated to flying. I initially thought about something along the lines of an iPhone 6 Plus or similar but with the delay on the iOS app, I am wondering what other brands, even though running Android, might also be a good option. I saw in another forum (Mavic Pro) lots of people like the Huawei Ascend xt2 and some others. I thought I'd see if anyone here has any feedback on what they are suing and if there are any caveats to be aware of. I'd ideally like to find something with about a 5.5" screen that is good and stable but not too pricey too.

Thanks for your input!
Was using 9.7" Samsung Tab S2, decided I didn't need the extra screen size, went to an older Samsung 8" Tab S2. Both work perfectly.

How do you find the screen brightness on the Samsung Tab?
Works for me. I rarely have to use a tablet shade. NO tablet/phone/whatever will work with CA sun shining directly on the display screen, but a very slight tilt makes just about anything OK.

Another plus - the 8" Tab S2 is discontinued, and the remaining stock seems to be priced way below MSRP.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials