Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

What larger phones / small tablets is everyone using with their Evo?

Because of the brightness of the display, I got a ASUS Zenpad 3S to use with the EVO. I am now searching for a little longer cable to hook it up and I've ordered a tablet grabber to hold it . . . can't wait to fly!!!

ha ha , , ,
As a young buck, I had no problem holding a Kraft 4-ch box so this old fart did not think of a neck strap. Come to think of it, in the old days flights did not last 30 minutes so I might have to have a tripod with a plywood desktop.

ha ha , , ,
As a young buck, I had no problem holding a Kraft 4-ch box so this old fart did not think of a neck strap. Come to think of it, in the old days flights did not last 30 minutes so I might have to have a tripod with a plywood desktop.
And a wheel chair:oops:

Well, I got the tablet grabber from 3D Printed Drone Mods today and it will not adequately secure my ASUS 3S ZenPad to the EVO controller … The tablet is just way too large and heavy to work at all with the dainty EVO controller. I had gotten the ZenPad with the Mavic Pro in mind and there are better solutions for mounting a 10" tablet to the Mavic controller out there.

Anyway, seeing the prices for the Mavic 2 Pro, I opted for the Autel EVO so I now need to find the brightest small tablet that will work with the EVO … Any suggestions?

Hello everyone,

just got my Evo today and I'm extremely impressed! Such a solid build and just one short flight so far, but all I can say is 'wow'.

I had originally been planning on using my iPad mini 4 with the controller but waiting for a adapter to arrive so I flew with my iPhone 6 just now. You know, with the screen on the controller, it wasn't half bad with the smaller device and I especially liked the non-cumbersome handling of it. Got me to thinking about buying a device that will still fit in the controller bracket but just dedicated to flying. I initially thought about something along the lines of an iPhone 6 Plus or similar but with the delay on the iOS app, I am wondering what other brands, even though running Android, might also be a good option. I saw in another forum (Mavic Pro) lots of people like the Huawei Ascend xt2 and some others. I thought I'd see if anyone here has any feedback on what they are suing and if there are any caveats to be aware of. I'd ideally like to find something with about a 5.5" screen that is good and stable but not too pricey too.

Thanks for your input!

8" Galaxy Tab A with XSP, 8" Galaxy Tab S2 with EVO. Tried the 10" Galaxy Tab S2, but was just too cumbersome. Sure presented a fine view, though...

8" Galaxy Tab A with XSP, 8" Galaxy Tab S2 with EVO. Tried the 10" Galaxy Tab S2, but was just too cumbersome. Sure presented a fine view, though...

Is the S2 screen noticeably better the the Tab A for flying? I just purchased a Tab A and am considering exchanging it (plus$$) for S2.

Is the S2 screen noticeably better the the Tab A for flying? I just purchased a Tab A and am considering exchanging it (plus$$) for S2.

The display is better, but not so much as to make me cough up a bunch of $$$ if I already had a Tab A. The real diff is in the processing capabilities. I don't think you're gonna have much luck with 4K 60FPS with the Tab A. But, I was wrong once <grin>
My advice - try the Tab A, using it as you choose, and keep it if you're happy...

The controller clamp on the EVO only opens to 3.5" and this is extremely limiting when it comes to attaching a mobile device. So far in my searching, the Huawei Ascend xt2 seems to be the largest that will fit.

I am getting bummed about this … since the mobile device is integral to accessing the intelligent flight features, the controller on the EVO should have been designed to hold at least a 5"wide device.

The controller clamp on the EVO only opens to 3.5" and this is extremely limiting when it comes to attaching a mobile device. So far in my searching, the Huawei Ascend xt2 seems to be the largest that will fit.

I am getting bummed about this … since the mobile device is integral to accessing the intelligent flight features, the controller on the EVO should have been designed to hold at least a 5"wide device.
Maybe a bit of blue sky thinking is needed. Your mobile device doesn't need to be attached to the remote controller except by a cable. So a hands-free semi-rigid neck cradle might do the job…

…like this …or this.

Maybe a bit of blue sky thinking is needed. Your mobile device doesn't need to be attached to the remote controller except by a cable. So a hands-free semi-rigid neck cradle might do the job…

…like this …or this.
That is pretty cool, but will it hold a small tablet like a shield

I only know what you know but they appear to hold a wide variety of phones and tablets.

I'm still thinking tangentially though so instead of trying to lash a relatively heavy tablet to a very light remote controller, why not do it the other way around and tie the RC onto the base of a tablet holder?

Actually, YuKay, the neck hanger thingy is not such a bad idea but it may be tough to get the screen with sunshade positioned just right plus it would be a bit awkward bending over to set the drone down or to pick it up. Also, some of the reviews were not very encouraging but it is a relatively inexpensive solution.

Anyway, I opted for the waaay too expensive LifThor Evo and I'll let you know how that works out after it gets here. https://www.thorsdroneworld.com/

Reactions: Barton
Here is a rig I put together. Samsung Galaxy Tab A 6 and a RED sunshade. I had a buddy of mine 3D print an extender. It is big enough to clearly see my flights and light enough to make the controller balanced. The Galaxy has a super bright "outdoor mode and more than enough processing power. I've used it for over a month and it works great!

Attachments

• DSCN5900.JPG
    DSCN5900.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 55
  • DSCN5902.JPG
    DSCN5902.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 53
  • DSCN5909.JPG
    DSCN5909.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2448.jpg
    IMG_2448.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
Hello everyone,

just got my Evo today and I'm extremely impressed! Such a solid build and just one short flight so far, but all I can say is 'wow'.

I had originally been planning on using my iPad mini 4 with the controller but waiting for a adapter to arrive so I flew with my iPhone 6 just now. You know, with the screen on the controller, it wasn't half bad with the smaller device and I especially liked the non-cumbersome handling of it. Got me to thinking about buying a device that will still fit in the controller bracket but just dedicated to flying. I initially thought about something along the lines of an iPhone 6 Plus or similar but with the delay on the iOS app, I am wondering what other brands, even though running Android, might also be a good option. I saw in another forum (Mavic Pro) lots of people like the Huawei Ascend xt2 and some others. I thought I'd see if anyone here has any feedback on what they are suing and if there are any caveats to be aware of. I'd ideally like to find something with about a 5.5" screen that is good and stable but not too pricey too.

Thanks for your input!

I realize that this is an old thread but I just wanted to add a few choices....I picked up a used Verizon Ellipsis 8 HD to use as a dedicated tablet ( no sim tray so WIFI only) I paid $40 used with just a tiny scratch on the screen...Works well ...but ...ANY tablet will need some creative thinking to mount on the EVO controller until the accessories get up to speed! I also use a Nexus 7 ( 2013) and that also works well!
Although this is out of the " affordable" ...I just updated my phone to a Samsung Note 8...That phone works spectacularly with both the DJI app as well as the Autel app...so I don't have to carry any tablet now. The Note 8 would be expensive for just a dedicated droning device but if you are ready for a phone update it might be worth a look?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg