Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Map caching

YuKay

Reaction score
Since I will be using my new EVO without a cellular connection, I have been trying to figure out how to cache a map via wi-fi while sitting in my office with all systems powered up. There is nothing in the EVO docs about map caching but I found an old video about using the Starlink app to do this so I assume the functionality is now incorporated into Autel Explorer…?

But when I load the Google map of the area I want to fly in (my back yard and the neighbouring field) - which will be my maiden flight - I wasn't able to set a route and nor was there any obvious way to save or cache the map. There isn't a great deal of information in the Starlink video either but it gave me the impression that the map might be automatically cached? And how much of the map is cached? Is it just the area visible on my screen or is a more extensive map cached?

Can anyone please tell me what happens and how to do it? If stuff happens in the background, without any notifications, that's not helping this newbie. That said, it's probably just me being stupid. TIA.

Open Google maps when your phone/device is connected to WIFI. With location services on, of course. ( you don't have to have it connected to the controller or even the app running BTW). Click on the "hamburger" menu icon on top of the screen to open the settings for the google map app. About 2/3 of the way down there is a choice for "offline maps". and then you can choose "select your own map" then you can move a box to where you want, pinch or the opposite to zoom in or expand that area you want to cache. then let it download to the phone and will be there if you are in that area. You can change the names of the maps there as well...If you are going to a different area for travel, etc. you can download it in advance if you get in the field and no WIFI

Reactions: YuKay
Open Google maps when your phone/device is connected to WIFI. With location services on, of course. ( you don't have to have it connected to the controller or even the app running BTW). Click on the "hamburger" menu icon on top of the screen to open the settings for the google map app. About 2/3 of the way down there is a choice for "offline maps". and then you can choose "select your own map" then you can move a box to where you want, pinch or the opposite to zoom in or expand that area you want to cache. then let it download to the phone and will be there if you are in that area. You can change the names of the maps there as well...If you are going to a different area for travel, etc. you can download it in advance if you get in the field and no WIFI
Thanks, I'll try that. Autel Explorer does offer a Google map of my location which I can modify - without me opening Google maps. Are you saying that I can only cache the map from within Google maps?

To my knowledge, you can only cache the map through google maps. That being said, my daily cell phone already had my local areas map downloaded for offline use so that device had the map already. I have 2 tablets that I use just for flying and they do not normally connect to any internet ( both are WIFI ONLY) while flying. They didn't show a map at first when I experimented with them in the field. I downloaded the maps of the area on them and it was fine in the app
If your device is not connected to the internet ( either cell or WIFI) when you fly, It MIGHT have it cached it into google maps from your previous flight (if in the same area) through the explorer app, but I just cached it into google maps while still connected to the internet by either cell or WIFI to be sure.
Are you connected to the internet when you see that map pop up? I do know that if I "pre-cache" it as I described above, It appears right away and I can either zoom in or out on the app's view of the map.

Last edited:
Reactions: YuKay
I just got a couple of helpful links from Autel support (pretty good for a Sunday) and it seems that Apple Maps app can also be used for caching…

You should be able to cache an offline version using Apple Maps (since you are using an iOS device) while you are on WiFi and then loading the Autel Explorer app later. I will attach a link below to an article that walks you through the processes for both Apple Maps and Google Maps. Please also let me know if you are able to download the firmware .bin file for your Evo using your Mac.

If you have any more questions or concerns please let me know, otherwise happy flying!

Download areas and navigate offline - iPhone & iPad - Google Maps Help

Apple Maps 101: How to View Offline Maps & Get Directions Without Using Any Internet « iOS & iPhone :: Gadget Hacks

Ohh, I didn't realize you were on an Apple Device! We all just learned something!

But, yeah, that is awesome especially considering it is a Sunday! I called them (Autel) the other day with a few questions and it was a good experience. They are definitely trying to stay on top of it?

So far I am not regretting my decision to jump off the DJI ship and give Autel a chance with this drone.

Yeah i just spent 1/2 hour zipping around my areas of interest in the autel explorer app and can confirm IT DOES NOT save downloaded / cached maps to my phone.

I spose there's a reason for this? Hmm?

Like "you must log into your google account to cache your maps"? Yes?

Yeah, how about NO.

I can assist in implementing OPEN STREET MAP SUPPORT

Thank you.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
Yeah i just spent 1/2 hour zipping around my areas of interest in the autel explorer app and can confirm IT DOES NOT save downloaded / cached maps to my phone.

I spose there's a reason for this? Hmm?

Like "you must log into your google account to cache your maps"? Yes?

Yeah, how about NO.

I can assist in implementing OPEN STREET MAP SUPPORT

Thank you.

I also have noticed that the ability to "cache" maps is not working anymore!
I sent an email to Autel concerning this....let's see if they can offer any help

Absolutely...

I have maps that include an area surrounding my house as well as a park that is my "test field" downloaded and I have tried deleting and re-downloading those downloaded maps!
If I try to fly in airplane mode, I do not get a map. It will be a nice gray "grid" and will show the flight route but no detail (roads, streets, etc)
Something changed in either the phone or the app!

BTW, I am on Android (Google Maps)

ISTR that cached Google maps "die" after some days (15?) and need to be refreshed. Ah - here it is (Android version):

Offline maps that you downloaded on your phone or tablet need to be updated before they expire. When your offline maps expire in 15 days or less, Google Maps will try to update the area automatically when you're connected to Wi-Fi.

If your offline maps aren’t automatically updated, you can update them by following the steps below.

From the notification
  1. In the "Update offline maps" notification, tap Update Now.
  2. Tap the expired or expiring area on the list.
  3. Tap Update.
  4. The offline area will update.
From anywhere else
  1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app
    F6SPqKg2k9wclyTXmBf6QIbVG3u9WhmTo6Bv
  2. In the top left, tap the Menu
    gnm-ty6mnE6vkedDflD8UzuuSYpoeaGMx1Am3m0zH0OkEAkqv3jGJV3cnjkqH75mrrqn=w18-h18
    nHFGZ_9xjCh-mP83zMzXQVJF5VYf2n6kwoBIxB2zv3V4VPT4gNTtBye8lYznogLqLPY=w13-h18
    Offline maps.
  3. Tap the expired or expiring area on the list.
  4. Tap Update.
  5. The offline area will update.

Just my two cents: I also find that cached maps are no longer working for me, either. I wonder if something changed in one of the recent firmware upgrades? They worked when I first got the Evo. Then I didn’t need them for a while. Now, when I try to cache new offline maps (not the old ones which have expired) I find that all I get on-screen is a blank space in the map box with a grid inside it. No map details. I have carefully followed google instructions for caching offline maps but still no luck. Can anyone tell me where the cached maps should be on an Android tablet? (like what folder, file name, etc?) I’d like to check and see if the files are even being created. Autel tech support just sent me standard google instructions for caching online maps which I have already tried repeatedly without success.

Reactions: jmbsmt63
Yep, that's what you get for building-in dependence on Google to your product.

For a high-level discussion of the problems associated with such errors, Econlib did an interesting interview with Nissen Taleb on 'antifragility'.

We're facing an increasingly interdependent and hence fragile world. Where supply chains use 'rolling warehouses' instead of buffering for shocks, where hospitals can be shut down by a software error by some remote vendor... etc...
http://www.econtalk.org/taleb-on-antifragility/

Just my two cents: I also find that cached maps are no longer working for me, either. I wonder if something changed in one of the recent firmware upgrades? They worked when I first got the Evo. Then I didn’t need them for a while. Now, when I try to cache new offline maps (not the old ones which have expired) I find that all I get on-screen is a blank space in the map box with a grid inside it. No map details. I have carefully followed google instructions for caching offline maps but still no luck. Can anyone tell me where the cached maps should be on an Android tablet? (like what folder, file name, etc?) I’d like to check and see if the files are even being created. Autel tech support just sent me standard google instructions for caching online maps which I have already tried repeatedly without success.

Yup, EXACTLY my findings...I usually don't fly in airplane mode since the EVO and it's app seems to be much better that the flakey DJI app was. But I tried it the other day (in my own driveway which I KNOW is a recent map) and just got the gray grid! Unfortunately, I can't relate it to any specific update to either the Autel app or a google/phone update! maybe something from a recent Google maps update?
Everything works as far as coming home, etc....just no map details.

Another detail: I note that the google map does appear when I review the flight route in the Flight Logs. I made sure I wasn't connected to WiFi or anything else at the time, so I assume the logs have to be accessing the cached map. Apparently, the Flight Logs know where to find the cached map ... but the on-screen map display during active flight doesn't know where to find it (?)That's all I can figure.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg