Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

RTK not ready

you are correct, I installed it on my SC, and got the corridor map and everything else, drone flys, looks good, but mission will not upload. I emailed Autel asking if the V1 RTK is going to get the same upgrades

Reactions: elphtrooper
I am using an Emlid Reach RS+ GNSS Receiver with an AT&T Cellular SIM Card. I subscribe to a monthly AT&T Data Only Pre-Paid cellular service. I typically setup the Emlid Reach RS+ GNSS Receiver as a Base Station and the Smart Controller/RTK Drone as the Rover. I get a position using Average FIX, input that position in Manual mode, and set the RS2+ Correction output to Local NTRIP and connect the Smart Controller directly to the receiver via the RS2+ WiFi. Below are the steps I follow.

At the start of the survey (1st battery) I am able to connect the Smart Controller to the RS+ quickly and get to FIX positioning. The problems start occurring with subsequent (2nd, 3rd, etc...) battery changes. Typically (but not always) I cannot get the Smart Controller from FLOAT to FIX. I have to troubleshoot this and waste 15-20 minutes until I finally get the positioning to FIX. By then I have restarted the drone, the Smart Controller, and the sometimes even the RS2+ receiver.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug in the Autel Explorer App? Both the Autel Explorer App and drone firmware are at the latest released version (no beta). I would be interested in hearing from others that use a similar setup and what their experience has been and any suggestions.

Steps:

1. I connected to the RS2+ using my iPad Pro via RaptorRS2Plus WiFi
2. For the Base mode use Average FIX configured for 10 min (sometimes 15 min)
3. After 10 or 15 minutes, capture the Position data
4. Switch from Average FIX to Manual for the Coordinates entry method
5. Input the Coordinates generated from Step 4 and set the Antenna height (2.0m) then saved.
6. Reconnect to the RS2+ to the iPad Pro via RaptorRS2Plus WiFi.
7. Set the RS2+ Correction output to Local NTRIP
8. Connect the Autel Smart Controller to the RS2+ via RaptorRS2Plus WiFi.
9. Smart Controller RTK Settings: Select Custom (NTRIP) Network

RTK IP Host:
Port: 2101
Account: reach
Password: emlidreach
Mountpoint: REACH

10. Hit Login
11. RTK Network Status:
Connection successful
12. Wait for RTK Positioning to go from SINGLE to FLOAT to FIX.

2. For the Base mode use Average FIX configured for 10 min (sometimes 15 min)
Without receiving corrections, your RS2+ base should never indicate a FIX status. If you are not receiving corrections from NTRIP or another gnss receiver, then you should set your RS2+ to "Average Single".

RTK IP Host: 192.168.42.1
If you power cycle the RS2+ at any time, you need to verify that the IP address is still the same. It can change between power cycles. the "192.168" will stay the same, but the last digits can change and if your Evo SC still has the other IP then it won't work.

The problems start occurring with subsequent (2nd, 3rd, etc...) battery changes. Typically (but not always) I cannot get the Smart Controller from FLOAT to FIX.
If the evo SC has a FLOAT status, then it is talking to the RS2+ but not resolving ambiguity, obviously. I have had it be fiddly between battery swaps but generally just needing to re-connect in the evo RTK settings. I have not had the problem of being stuck in FLOAT. I am running an older FW.

I am using an Emlid Reach RS+ GNSS Receiver with an AT&T Cellular SIM Card.
Also, If you are not planning on receiving corrections via NTRIP on the RS2+, then the cellular card is unnecessary. Using the Local NTRIP function of the RS2+ does not require a www data connection at all.

Reactions: jmason702
Without receiving corrections, your RS2+ base should never indicate a FIX status. If you are not receiving corrections from NTRIP or another gnss receiver, then you should set your RS2+ to "Average Single".

If you power cycle the RS2+ at any time, you need to verify that the IP address is still the same. It can change between power cycles. the "192.168" will stay the same, but the last digits can change and if your Evo SC still has the other IP then it won't work.

If the evo SC has a FLOAT status, then it is talking to the RS2+ but not resolving ambiguity, obviously. I have had it be fiddly between battery swaps but generally just needing to re-connect in the evo RTK settings. I have not had the problem of being stuck in FLOAT. I am running an older FW.

Also, If you are not planning on receiving corrections via NTRIP on the RS2+, then the cellular card is unnecessary. Using the Local NTRIP function of the RS2+ does not require a www data connection at all.
It is necessary initially when using average FIX to get coordinates to plug into manual base mode. Once I get the coordinates I switch the base mode to manual.

It is necessary initially when using average FIX to get coordinates to plug into manual base mode. Once I get the coordinates I switch the base mode to manual.
If you are referring to connecting to the internet in order to receive NTRIP corrections from a service, then yes, using a sim in the RS2 is one way. Simply having your RS2 connect to your phone's hotspot is another.

If you are referring to connecting to the internet in order to receive NTRIP corrections from a service, then yes, using a sim in the RS2 is one way. Simply having your RS2 connect to your phone's hotspot is another.
It is convenient to have cellular service built-in vs using a hotspot. I initially connect to the internet in order to receive NTRIP corrections via the RTK correction service I use. Using Average FIX for 10-15 min, I get a position that I plug into Manual Base mode. Using Local NTRIP, I connect the Smart Controller to the RS2+.

It is convenient to have cellular service built-in vs using a hotspot. I initially connect to the internet in order to receive NTRIP corrections via the RTK correction service I use. Using Average FIX for 10-15 min, I get a position that I plug into Manual Base mode. Using Local NTRIP, I connect the Smart Controller to the RS2+.
I prefer to have one, more effective , source for data like the iPad (data collector) or a standalone like a cellular MiFi or router. This one has been great.

It has a battery so it can be carried around as well. We got ours through Verizon Business but I am sure it can be found else and should be unlocked.

I prefer to have one, more effective , source for data like the iPad (data collector) or a standalone like a cellular MiFi or router. This one has been great.

It has a battery so it can be carried around as well. We got ours through Verizon Business but I am sure it can be found else and should be unlocked.
I always carry my iPad and iPhone as backup hotspots if needed. I also carry a Verizon hotspot if AT&T not available.

That establishes how you are getting your coordinate for the manual point for your base. What about the other things mentioned in troubleshooting your connection problem?

Reactions: elphtrooper

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller