Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Phone or tablet?

Nightbat2

Reaction score
So far I’ve been flying my Evo with the controller only. It works well but the built-in screen is too small to see the video clearly. I want a bigger screen so that I can better judge camera angles and in tricky light conditions double check the direction the nose is pointing.

The question is, do I opt for a 6+ inch smartphone or a 7 or 8 inch tablet? From what I’ve seen, all modern phones have a tall and narrow screen ratio, (16:9 etc) whereas tablets tend to be wider (the iPad Mini, for example, has a 4:3 ratio).

Any thoughts?

So far I’ve been flying my Evo with the controller only. It works well but the built-in screen is too small to see the video clearly. I want a bigger screen so that I can better judge camera angles and in tricky light conditions double check the direction the nose is pointing.

The question is, do I opt for a 6+ inch smartphone or a 7 or 8 inch tablet? From what I’ve seen, all modern phones have a tall and narrow screen ratio, (16:9 etc) whereas tablets tend to be wider (the iPad Mini, for example, has a 4:3 ratio).
In my case I use a Huawei Honor 8X smartphone which is 6.5" however I had purchased in the past a but never used it
a Virtual Headset LionEYE (around $50.00) that might help a lot knowing its direction visually.
I was looking at buying Goggles but it is a bit on the expensive side. Will report once I tried the LionEYE but it is raining today.

Reactions: Nightbat2

Any thoughts?
I used to use my Galaxy S8 as a screen and it works great, but I wanted more real estate. Now I use an iPhone 6S + that has a 6.5" 1080p screen. I can see everything with all that real estate.

I used to use my Galaxy S8 as a screen and it works great, but I wanted more real estate. Now I use an iPhone 6S + that has a 6.5" 1080p screen. I can see everything with all that real estate.
Thanks.

That brings up another question -

Do you know if you have to have a cellular data plan for your device that you are using to view your flights (e.g., the device that is connected to your EVO Controller) or can you just use the device purely in wi-fi mode? Also, does the device need to be gps-enabled (I presume so)?

Thanks in advance

Any thoughts?

Using a Samsung S10 (6.1") smartphone for now; it's much easier to move around the different options with the Autel Explorer app as opposed to just the controller.

Do you know if you have to have a cellular data plan for your device that you are using to view your flights (e.g., the device that is connected to your EVO Controller) or can you just use the device purely in wi-fi mode? Also, does the device need to be gps-enabled (I presume so)?

Thanks in advance
As I understand it, you can connect in wifi mode but would need a cellular connection if you wanted live maps. Someone who’s been doing it could elaborate, I have been leaning towards the new iPad Mini with wifi and 4g. It has gps.

Thanks in advance
I can confirm you do not need cellular service. I don't have one for my iPhone. You can connect to a hotspot in the field if you so desire or later connect the cellphone to your home wifi and review the flight logs. It will download the maps when reviewing the flight logs, if you did not do so previously.

I have been using an LG phone. Today I decided to try my older Samsung Tab E. It has Android version 7.1.1 and has an 8 inch wide screen. I was on the patio so it was connected to my wifi in my house. It showed the maps and everything just like the phone only a nice large screen. The video was a little slower, it would be a little jerky when yawing around and a little flicker every once in a while. It had it's drawbacks but overall was nice to have the larger view. The jerkyness or flicker was not on the recording.
From now on I will be using the tablet when at home or where it connects to wifi.
butch

Any thoughts?
@Nightbat2 Been using this Galaxy Tab A 7" with the EVO for the last year. Dedicated only to the EVO no other junk programs and it works great. Here is a link:Galaxy Tab A at Amazon They lowered the price to a ridiculous $99.99. Has plenty of RAM.

Attachments

• DSCN6007B.jpg
    DSCN6007B.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 27

Any thoughts?
I use the crystal sky ultra and it’s way better than either. I crafted a special mount that balanced it perfect. 468E4E26-B090-4DE9-9286-80E251888167.jpegP

I use the smaller Crystal Sky 5.5 with Lifthhor Mount. Once you have used Crystal Sky with 1000 nits, it’s hard to go back to phone or iPad. Samsung note 8 also has 1000 nit screen too.
The Crystal Sky Ultra has 2,000 nits. I would love to see one in person. The Note 8 is 1,400 nits. The S8 is 1,100.

The Crystal Sky Ultra has 2,000 nits. I would love to see one in person. The Note 8 is 1,400 nits. The S8 is 1,100.
Yes. The ultra is above my pay grade. I use the CS 5.5 on my Mavic Pro 1 and Evo. You’re right, I too would love to see the Ultra. Note 8 would do the job. I had to buy the Lifthor kit to use the CS with Evo.

Reactions: Nightbat2 and Ansia
Wow, looks like the Crystal Sky would be a really nice way to go. But I just can't see sinking another grand for the unit, cables, and mounts. My evo set me back enough for only a hobby flyer. It would be different if I was using the drone to make money.
butch

I use the smaller Crystal Sky 5.5 with Lifthhor Mount. Once you have used Crystal Sky with 1000 nits, it’s hard to go back to phone or iPad. Samsung note 8 also has 1000 nit screen too.
I have the 5.5 also, but I like the Ultra better because of the larger size and 2000 nits.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kestrel