Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Android Tablet Users…a few questions for you

SixStarsDrone

Reaction score
I’ve been considering using an iPad mini instead of an Android tablet to try and avoid the issue of the RC charging the Android device. I just discovered after reading some other posts as well as some feedback from @herein2021 that using anything larger than an iPhone will result in bars at the top and bottom of the screen. If I’m going to purchase something for the sole purpose of being a larger display, I’d like it to actually be a larger display. I’m now back to considering Android.

A few questions:

1. Does the Autel Explorer app display on the entire screen of Android devices that are larger than a phone? As in 7” or larger tablet.
2. Any recommendations for a “mini” Android tablet in the 7” to 8” range other than the Tripltek 8 Pro? Right now I’m not looking at spending $800 on a display. Samsung 7” or 8”? If so which?
3. For those who use a power bank plugged into the RC during a mission to assist with the RC charging the Android device, what are you using? Brand, size, etc.
4. Do any of you use a modified USB cable to prevent the RC from charging the Android device? If so did you purchase it already modified, or did you modify it yourself?

Any other insight would be greatly appreciated such as minimum specs when I’m looking for a tablet so I know that it’s going to work. Thank you.

Reactions: Deleted member 9417
I’ve been considering using an iPad mini instead of an Android tablet to try and avoid the issue of the RC charging the Android device. I just discovered after reading some other posts as well as some feedback from @herein2021 that using anything larger than an iPhone will result in bars at the top and bottom of the screen
This is not the case on my iPad 6th gen 9.7 where Explorer fills the screen.

Attachments

• 2022-06-06 20.24.51.jpg
    2022-06-06 20.24.51.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: SixStarsDrone
This is not the case on my iPad 6th gen 9.7 where Explorer fills the screen.
That’s strange. I tried it on my iPad Pro 10.5” and I got bars top and bottom.

Attachments

• 30A246F8-5184-4607-B2D8-C5510BC32A25.jpeg
    30A246F8-5184-4607-B2D8-C5510BC32A25.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 10
Tried my 9.7” iPad Pro and the bars are considerably smaller. Seems to be the same for video and stills, as far as the top/bottom bars. Still adds bars to the side as well which I understand.

Attachments

• 822AA4A6-2A10-4096-A454-167B2D0C0C6F.jpeg
    822AA4A6-2A10-4096-A454-167B2D0C0C6F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
I very much like the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 (SM-T860) with a beautiful, accurate and bright 10.5" SuperAMOLED that I've been using for about 8 months now. I got it for drone flying but use it almost constantly as one of my all-time favorite devices. It doesn't seem to drain my Autel Standard Controller battery to any significant degree while flying down 3 batteries, perhaps because the McDodo 90 degree RA USB-A to C coiled cord I use doesn't pass all that much current. Hasn't overheated yet. It will play my freshly-shot 6K videos back from the MicroSD. Even figured out a little hack to keep it pegged at maximum brightness when I need to be out in the full sun. $320 and has a Snapdragon 855, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD

I very much like the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 (SM-T860) with a beautiful, accurate and bright 10.5" SuperAMOLED that I've been using for about 8 months now. I got it for drone flying but use it almost constantly as one of my all-time favorite devices. It doesn't seem to drain my Autel Standard Controller battery to any significant degree while flying down 3 batteries, perhaps because the McDodo 90 degree RA USB-A to C coiled cord I use doesn't pass all that much current. Hasn't overheated yet. It will play my freshly-shot 6K videos back from the MicroSD. Even figured out a little hack to keep it pegged at maximum brightness when I need to be out in the full sun. $320 and has a Snapdragon 855, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD
Which bracket do you use with your SM-T860? It's a big tablet!
And what was the hack to keep it at max brightness? Upgrading from a phone to a tablet for display is one of my next upgrades/additions so your post and this thread is very helpful to me and many others. Thanks!

I’ve been considering using an iPad mini instead of an Android tablet to try and avoid the issue of the RC charging the Android device. I just discovered after reading some other posts as well as some feedback from @herein2021 that using anything larger than an iPhone will result in bars at the top and bottom of the screen. If I’m going to purchase something for the sole purpose of being a larger display, I’d like it to actually be a larger display. I’m now back to considering Android.

A few questions:

1. Does the Autel Explorer app display on the entire screen of Android devices that are larger than a phone? As in 7” or larger tablet.
Yes
2. Any recommendations for a “mini” Android tablet in the 7” to 8” range other than the Tripltek 8 Pro? Right now I’m not looking at spending $800 on a display. Samsung 7” or 8”? If so which?
There are some good deals if you want low cost option for Samsung & Nexus tablets, however without addon bracket they dont fit in the phone cradle of the standard controller. Im looking to add Tripltek for a larger screen. I use my Samsung tablet now mainly as a backup display, and primarily attached to a live deck along with sun visor that an observer, producer, director can use while shooting to see things in real-time. Big caveat with the tablets have been using them with polarized sun glasses. Btw, with the live deck as long as you have power to power a display, your display size options are quite large.
3. For those who use a power bank plugged into the RC during a mission to assist with the RC charging the Android device, what are you using? Brand, size, etc.
Not charging while flying missions, however during breaks, plug items into a tablet sized portable battery charger to give items a quick boost and top off.
4. Do any of you use a modified USB cable to prevent the RC from charging the Android device? If so did you purchase it already modified, or did you modify it yourself?
Have tried these in the past, mainly for an ios tablet mini that had a bad battery (now replaced). For Autel I connect from controller using the small USB port with a 90 connector to USB port of app device/display.
Any other insight would be greatly appreciated such as minimum specs when I’m looking for a tablet so I know that it’s going to work. Thank you.
What ever you get, also get a hood sun screen if you dont have one that fits already. Also keep sun glasses / eye wear in mind with what ever you get.

Reactions: SixStarsDrone
Which bracket do you use with your SM-T860? It's a big tablet!
And what was the hack to keep it at max brightness? Upgrading from a phone to a tablet for display is one of my next upgrades/additions so your post and this thread is very helpful to me and many others. Thanks!
The tablet holder is the Sunwayfoto PC-03 (under $40). The Magic Arm is an 11" Tycka (under $25) to which attached two mini Arca Swiss clamps ($12 ea). I also bought a Spigen case for the Tab S6 and it was around $20. The base this all attaches to is a piece of 3/16" birch ply I carved up with cutouts to fit the Standard Controller, which mounts with HD Velcro. A McDodo USB-A to USB-C 6' coiled cord connects the controller to the tablet. The tray hooks into a padded belt I had (Thinktank Pro Speed Belt) and top of the magic arm clips into a neck strap for handsfree stability. The point of it all is that the Standard Controller tray sits at a natural waist level 90 degree elbow position, so I can use precise movements with thumbs and forefingers. The level of the tablet is elevated to my chest height (rapidly adjusts for height, distance, and angle) so I don't have so much looking up-and-down or get text-neck after a long session.

The screen brightness hack is a $10 rechargeable LED keychain flashlight, sleeve-mounted on a sunshade I made for about a buck's worth of of black EVA sheet foam and gaffers tape. The LED light is pointed at the ambient light sensor that controls the screen brightness (which on my Tab S6 sits just above the selfie camera lens, held horizontally). The Samsung Tab S6 as with many tablets and phones has to be set on Auto Brightness to achieve maximum nits. (newest Samsung S22+ with Android 12 is an exception, and so may be the newest tablets that have a manual override with the latest Samsung UI4.1) With the flashlight beaming on at the sensor it's much brighter than with full sun falling on the sensor. Shaded by a sunshade without the hack the sensor dims with the auto brightness on. My hack is a big improvement over manually setting the brightness to it's highest value.

Last edited:
The tablet holder is the Sunwayfoto PC-03 (under $40). The Magic Arm is an 11" Tycka (under $25) to which attached two mini Arca Swiss clamps ($12 ea). I also bought a Spigen case for the Tab S6 and it was around $20. The base this all attaches to is a piece of 3/16" birch ply I carved up with cutouts to fit the Standard Controller, which mounts with HD Velcro. A McDodo USB-A to USB-C 6' coiled cord connects the controller to the tablet. The tray hooks into a padded belt I had (Thinktank Pro Speed Belt) and top of the magic arm clips into a neck strap for handsfree stability. The point of it all is that the Standard Controller tray sits at a natural waist level 90 degree elbow position, so I can use precise movements with thumbs and forefingers. The level of the tablet is elevated to my chest height (rapidly adjusts for height, distance, and angle) so I don't have so much looking up-and-down or get text-neck after a long session.

The screen brightness hack is a $10 rechargeable LED keychain flashlight, sleeve-mounted on a sunshade I made for about a buck's worth of of black EVA sheet foam and gaffers tape. The LED light is pointed at the ambient light sensor that controls the screen brightness (which on my Tab S6 sits just above the selfie camera lens, held horizontally). The Samsung Tab S6 as with many tablets and phones has to be set on Auto Brightness to achieve maximum nits. (newest Samsung S22+ with Android 12 is an exception, and so may be the newest tablets that have a manual override with the latest Samsung UI4.1) With the flashlight beaming on at the sensor it's much brighter than with full sun falling on the sensor. Shaded by a sunshade without the hack the sensor dims with the auto brightness on. My hack is a big improvement over manually setting the brightness to it's highest value.
LOVE the brightness hack! Brilliant, I'd say.

A few questions:

I too am hoping to see some responses. My off-brand 10" tablet will not install Autel Explorer. And if any of you use a power bank to keep the RC charged, how big is it and how much does it cost and where does one get it>

Great hack ... will look into this for sure.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy