Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Phone or tablet?

As I understand it, you can connect in wifi mode but would need a cellular connection if you wanted live maps. Someone who’s been doing it could elaborate, I have been leaning towards the new iPad Mini with wifi and 4g. It has gps.
Until Autel comes out with a dedicated iPad specific IOS app, you will find using any iPad very frustrating, as the iOS iPhone app does not scale at all properly on the iPad. Took 20 minutes tonight just to try and get it to sync flight records because the Cancel button is directly over the top of the Start button! All text based app selections and settings are also misaligned and hard to read and often roll over into the next setting.

I use the smaller Crystal Sky 5.5 with Lifthhor Mount. Once you have used Crystal Sky with 1000 nits, it’s hard to go back to phone or iPad. Samsung note 8 also has 1000 nit screen too.
Notice in the picture I always use the 4 Hawks antenna. This thing really works. I have had my Evo out 4 miles and made it back. Don’t just hit RTH if you are out over 2 miles, it won’t make it back before the battery runs out. Go out and come back in 34 mph.

I also have Marco Polo RC tracker attached because if you get caught in any kind of headwind, you will have a forced landing. The flight records are not precise enough recover if it is in a grassy or wooded area

Until Autel comes out with a dedicated iPad specific IOS app, you will find using any iPad very frustrating, as the iOS iPhone app does not scale at all properly on the iPad. Took 20 minutes tonight just to try and get it to sync flight records because the Cancel button is directly over the top of the Start button! All text based app selections and settings are also misaligned and hard to read and often roll over into the next setting.
While I haven’t flown the Evo with my 12.9 inch iPad Pro (it’s too heavy) I have connected it to the Evo controller and run through every section. It all looks fine.

While I haven’t flown the Evo with my 12.9 inch iPad Pro (it’s too heavy) I have connected it to the Evo controller and run through every section. It all looks fine.
Have you tried syncing flight records previously recorded on your Android devices on the iPad Pro with the update installed? That's the first thing I did that illustrated the problem. It might also be the difference between the iPad Mini 5/4 form format and the larger iPads. I'll try my 9.7" iPad Pro later today, to see if that makes a difference.

Autel knows about the improper scaling problem on iOS, which is why they intend to eventually have a dedicated iPad version (unless resources get cut back, like support hours), rather than only an improperly upscaled iPhone version. On Android, the display size scaling of Explorer is automatic, and device independent, albeit not perfect either.

I can now state definitely that the improper iOS scaling problem makes it impossible to synch EVO flight records on my 9.7” iPad Pro. This defeats one of the main reasons for the update. If you cannot synch the flight records, they will only be viewable upon the device on which they were recorded.

This is what it looks like on the iPad, and you cannot get to the green Start button, as it is covered by the Clear button, which will delete all the local records permanently!
You also cannot select All records.

This is what it looks like on the iPhone:

I’ll try it on the big screen later—cleared my logs and currently raining here so no flying.

I’ll try it on the big screen later—cleared my logs and currently raining here so no flying.
Really frustrating. Somehow, I managed to get it to work once on my Mini 5, so I can at least view the logs on a device that allows me to slide the playhead, although the columns are all screwed up in the log summaries.

Really frustrating. Somehow, I managed to get it to work once on my Mini 5, so I can at least view the logs on a device that allows me to slide the playhead, although the columns are all screwed up in the log summaries.
Flight records Sync does not work on mini iPad or 9.7 iPad. Amazing they released the firmware update with this issue. Airdata had an incredible flight record system for DJI products. They have been trying to work with Autel but are not getting anywhere. Those unfamiliar with Airdata, look them up. Very professional and an incredible amount of flight data available. Autel would be wise to hook up with them and avoid the flight data screw ups like we jut had. Don’t reinvent the wheel.

Flight records Sync does not work on mini iPad or 9.7 iPad. Amazing they released the firmware update with this issue. Airdata had an incredible flight record system for DJI products. They have been trying to work with Autel but are not getting anywhere. Those unfamiliar with Airdata, look them up. Very professional and an incredible amount of flight data available. Autel would be wise to hook up with them and avoid the flight data screw ups like we jut had. Don’t reinvent the wheel.
I did miraculously get it to work on the iPad Mini 5! However, it took 20 minutes playing around with the screen, finding the hidden spots that have to be used to make the correct selections. However, the same strategy on the full sized 9.7” iPad Pro fails miserably. :(

OK, iPad Mini 5 would be top of my list, despite any shortcomings. But the price here in Oz is outrageous. So, this seems like a relatively cheap solution (sure I can get it for less). What does the group think?

OK, iPad Mini 5 would be top of my list, despite any shortcomings. But the price here in Oz is outrageous. So, this seems like a relatively cheap solution (sure I can get it for less). What does the group think?

I'm using the 32GB version of the Tab A 8", and it's working great so far. Not sure how much the extra 16GB matters though.

Bought it refurbished for $135 US.

Reactions: Nightbat2
I only fly with the controller screen. It's very fast to just power on the controller and aircraft, wait until GPS is locked and fly out. Take less than 2 minutes. When I use a tablet or phone, it take at least five to seven minutes to set everything.

Reactions: Nightbat2

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vaseth