Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New Beta For iOS & Android

Don't know what you mean by "only caching" That IS an offline map.!

In a sense, yes, but that's not what we mean. We want explorer to use Google Offline Maps. That way we get to pre download whatever areas we want prior to running Explorer. We don't want to have to open explorer and slide around the small area we are planning to fly just so Explorer pre-caches the small map segment.

Big difference.
LP

Just wondering if they plan to refine it further as the present Mission Map is stuck with squarish fields like for example a L shape fieldor a T shape.. Would be nice.
I can achieve those shapes but have to create at least two fields for the L shape. Merging the fields ? In any case it is a good start.

FYI: Anyone downloading and installing any Autel Beta Release assumes FULL responsibility for any crashes that are caused by any and all bugs present in the Beta. Autel accepts NO responsibility, and expressly disclaims ALL liability during the install. Strongly suggest everyone wait for the PUBLIC releases of each, after which Autel DOES accept responsibility for all app and FW bugs. Free beta testers acting as guinea pigs should not have to assume all liability for developer bugs!

Last edited:
FYI: Anyone downloading and installing any Autel Beta Release assumes FULL responsibility for any crashes that are caused by any and all bugs present in the Beta. Autel accepts NO responsibility, and expressly disclaims ALL liability during the install. Strongly suggest everyone wait for the PUBLIC releases of each, after which Autel DOES accept responsibility for all app and FW bugs. Free beta testers acting as guinea pigs should not have to assume all liability for developer bugs!

Goes to show you just how much this company has changed. In the X-Star days when they totally redid the firmware they had 5 well known customers who they asked to beta test the new firmware. Each got a brand new X-Star to test with just in case anything might have gone wrong. The Beta program was a closed program to just them for 3 months. They later opened it up to anyone who wanted to try it out and made a statement that they would replace any X-Star if it crashed from a faulty firmware. Many of us tested the new firmwares as they came out from that point on knowing we were covered in case anything happened. I believe there where around 3 or 4 updates to the beta firmware before it became final. I never did work right but was better then what we had before. I guess things are just getting tighter and hard to hold your head above water in this UAV industry.

I re-flew the field that I attempted earlier. No issues with this one. I plugged the photos into webodm and this is the link it gave me to share. Let me know if you can see it. The wide angle lens clearly gives some issues at the edges, which is why I flew a little larger area than necessary. This is at 300 feet at 20mph at about 3pm on a partly cloudy but still pretty bright day.
http://192.168.99.100:8000/public/task/18e600c2-3de2-4332-973e-48e994a52148/map/

I am a total noob at webodm. This was just playing around and testing so I didn't want to pay a pix4d vendor to render it. There are spots in this that look like tears or holes in a photo to me, I don't know it that's an issue with the data or the software settings in webodm.

This was with the gimbal at 90, I think I need to do it at 70. There is standing water in the field near the road, but when you look straight down it becomes almost impossible to see, which I don't understand, but must be something with the light. I noticed this when taking pics the day before as well.

The missions don't let you set photo overlap, it just lets you set drone speed and a timing interval for pics. That actually works better than I thought it would, but it would be much better if Autel could put together a chart or something with speed and altitude that gives you overlap estimations. I did notice however that changing altitude does not change its routing. I'm not a very experienced mapper, but I've used Solex and Tower with a 3dr Solo, and when you change altitude they automatically change your routing based on altitude.(less passes as altitude increases). The beta app has a sidelap setting, but again no changes based on altitude.

One other thing I noticed is that the time estimations seem very optimistic. There were winds both times I flew the missions, but it did take longer.

Edit: After looking at the 3d version of the map, I think the "tears" are actually rises in the image, it seems to think something is there where nothing is. Again, could be data or the webodm software.

Last edited:
Goes to show you just how much this company has changed. In the X-Star days when they totally redid the firmware they had 5 well known customers who they asked to beta test the new firmware. Each got a brand new X-Star to test with just in case anything might have gone wrong. The Beta program was a closed program to just them for 3 months. They later opened it up to anyone who wanted to try it out and made a statement that they would replace any X-Star if it crashed from a faulty firmware. Many of us tested the new firmwares as they came out from that point on knowing we were covered in case anything happened. I believe there where around 3 or 4 updates to the beta firmware before it became final. I never did work right but was better then what we had before. I guess things are just getting tighter and hard to hold your head above water in this UAV industry.
I naively assumed Autel would continue to do the same with the EVO, especially since their in house development testing resources are so much smaller than DJI's, such that beta testing will be far riskier, and more necessary. Given all the bugs I have still found in the public releases that could easily result in loss of aircraft in the hands of less experienced pilots (eg., resetting FPV transmission to maximum bandwidth of 20 after signal loss, guaranteeing FPV will not be restored until within half a mile, when originally set at launch to 5 for stability at long range), Autel needs to strongly encourage Beta testing by accepting all risk of loss due to bugs in the Beta, not disclaiming it! :rolleyes:

One more HUGE caveat to installing the Beta app. It requires installing a matching Beta FW, and NEITHER can be rolled back! This is a one way update to a Beta from which there is NO coming back! Caveat emptor! :eek:

One more HUGE caveat to installing the Beta app. It requires installing a matching Beta FW, and NEITHER can be rolled back! This is a one way update to a Beta from which there is NO coming back! Caveat emptor! :eek:
Any app can be uninstalled/removed and then put an older non beta app version in place. Firmware is the only one non reversible. In this case any beta version will work with any non beta version either way. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: G_G and Normex
I have no problem participating with this Beta as we have done many times before and so far nothing catastrophic has ever happened.
Even before the beta release they release the Alpha version which they test on their own crafts. Beta is only for small bugs that needs to be
ironed out with our help simple as that. There is no gun to the temple for those who are afraid.

Reactions: G_G
Any app can be uninstalled/removed and then put an older non beta app version in place. Firmware is the only one not reversible. In this case any beta version will work with any non beta version either way.
Thanks for the clarification. The instructions were not as clear. As I read it, the Beta FW could not be rolled back, and could only be replaced with another new Beta FW, or presumably the Public FW release, but you are stuck with the Beta FW until Autel has a replacement. No rollback, and the Beta apps will only work with the Beta FW. So, either way, you are still stuck with all bugs in the Beta FW at your own risk, with no rollback capability.

Reactions: Tufargon
Thanks for the clarification. The instructions were not as clear. As I read it, the Beta FW could not be rolled back, and could only be replaced with another new Beta FW, or presumably the Public FW release, but you are stuck with the Beta FW until Autel has a replacement. No rollback, and the Beta apps will only work with the Beta FW. So, either way, you are still stuck with all bugs in the Beta FW at your own risk, with no rollback capability.
You're very welcome. To clarify a little more, just keep in mind that firmware is non reversible and apps or drivers are. So yes, once you update firmware you are all in till the next or final release (you can skip after you install one till it gets to a new version or final release as you wish). Any version of the app or firmware will work with each other.

I have no problem participating with this Beta as we have done many times before and so far nothing catastrophic has ever happened.
Even before the beta release they release the Alpha version which they test on their own crafts. Beta is only for small bugs that needs to be
ironed out with our help simple as that. There is no gun to the temple for those who are afraid.
Autel has recently significantly cut back their already limited support and development resources, so the past is no indication of the present. In the past, they also accepted all responsibility, too! They need to also accept current responsibility for any bugs that lead to catastrophic failure in the Beta FW and Beta apps. Simple as that. There is a reason they are not! However, if you willingly and knowingly are still willing to participate, I thank you for your service and potential sacrifice! :cool:

You're welcome but with this mindset there is no going forward. This is stale thinking which would not have brought this fine drone to what it is able today and more to come
with this Beta FW.

You're welcome but with this mindset there is no going forward. This is stale thinking which would not have brought this fine drone to what it is able today and more to come
with this Beta FW.
I don't consider that as stale thinking. To each their own. Autel has their testers and for those who want to venture and try the new it's up to them. I still prefer the way they were doing it with the XSP though.

I don't consider that as stale thinking. To each their own. Autel has their testers and for those who want to venture and try the new it's up to them. I still prefer the way they were doing it with the XSP though.

I loved the XSP also but when they came with the Evo I switched also and do no regret it, with this latest Beta fw I did some work (free that is) for a farmer on a 50 acre land parcel that was seeded with corn and he applied herbicides 2 weeks ago. He asked me if I could verify his field and if there was any patch he missed. If one tries to fly this drone straight and come back 75 feet to the side of the previous path times 25 times you have to agree it is difficult to achieve as a constant. But with this Beta I managed very well giving him the SD card so he can see for himself and it saved him lots of time and trouble. Took 2 batteries for this and not a drop of sweat.:)

Last edited:
I loved the XSP also but when they came with the Evo I switched also and do no regret it, with this latest Beta fw I did some work (free that is) for a farmer on a 50 acre land parcel that was seeded with corn and he applied herbicides 2 weeks ago. He asked me if I could verify his field and if there was any patch he missed. If one tries to fly this drone straight and come back 75 feet to the side of the previous path times 25 times you have to agree it is difficult to achieve as a constant. But with this Beta I managed very well giving him the SD card so he can see for himself and it saved him lots of time and trouble. Took 2 batteries for this and not a drop of sweat.:)
That same beta firmware update could have made it not possible too with a crash that would not be under warranty. Just sayin'. Unlike the XSP, you are taking the risk now if you update anything in beta with the EVO. Probably only firmware i'm guessing though.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy